Keshia // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Sep 1, 2012

Introduce yourself!
K:
My name is Keshia. I am a student at the University of Iowa majoring in Classical Language. What is Classical Language you say? I get that question a lot. It is the study of Ancient Greek and Latin. I love it and I plan on going to law school once I get my BA.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
K:
To be completely honest, I was bored with my straight hair. I mean it was long, but it had no versatility. Also I hated that I had to dedicate a WHOLE DAY to wash, blow dry, and straighten my hair. It should not take that long to do your hair! It made me despise my hair. Finally I had enough and decided one day to just cut if all off and go natural. Of course I educated myself before I did the big chop. It was the best decision I ever made 🙂 I have been natural for a year and 8 months. I big chopped December 17, 2010.

How would you describe your texture?
K:
Oh wow! That is a hard question. I haven’t “typed” my hair yet and don’t feel the need to, but my hair is extremely thick and dense. My curls are more loose in the front and extremely tight in the back of my head.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
K:
I am really basic with my regimen aka lazy. Lol! I cowash once a week or as needed and shampoo once a month. Occasionally I will do a honey treatment on my hair if it feels really dry and rough. I love the honey treatment, but I don’t do it as much because honey can lighten your hair. Oh yeah extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil are my best friends! I mix these oils together and coat my hair with them after I have already applied a moisturizer, which is usually leave in or regular conditioner. Depending on the mood my hair is in and my style for the week, I will moisturize my hair every three to four days. I usually will plan out a style for the week and just change it up throughout the week.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style?
K:
I have always been great at creating cute styles in a minimal amount of time so I have a variety of styles to choose from. To narrow it down, I would say the wild and free style with a cute hair accessory

How do you combat shrinkage?
K:
Banding method and the very rare tension blow out.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
K:
Wash and go is definitely one of them. My curls are pretty amazing and I get tons of compliments when I have them out. Also the 70s Pam Grier fro. I can rock a mean fro!

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
K:
Straightening my hair! I tried to straighten my hair for the first time and it was a complete fail! It look just like a blow out. My hair is too thick and dense to achieve a sleek straight look. Also twist outs on wet hair are another fail. My hair has to be stretched out and dry to do a successful twistout.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
K:
My blog is http://shesaidwhat-keshia.blogspot.com/. I will be posting more on my blog soon.

Mika

So in love with her hair. She’s so photogenic also. Beautiful eyes!!!

Mia_p
Mia_p

Her hair is really thick.

merry
merry

love

Toya

She has got some serious hair! Very beautiful! That’s a lot of progress for under two years. I regret not doing any research before I did my chop. I would say that about the first 1.5 years of my 3 years being natural I had no real knowledge about how to really care for my hair.

Beautiful hair on a beautiful woman!

JO
JO

Beautiful hair! I love the fact about studying Ancient Greek and Latin.

Carpe Diem.

jdejavu
jdejavu

WOW just amazing hair ;)!!!!
How long did you transition?

Keshia
Keshia
Reply to  jdejavu

I transitioned for a month. I was so anxious to go natural that I just decided to just cut off my relaxed hair asap 🙂

grow black hair long

That is truly some amazing hair

Miss Bee

Great article! Thanks for providing us with a great blog on natural haircare.

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

That’s some beautiful hair right there!

Toni
Toni

Beautiful. The second picture down on the right side looks like you are partially suspended in air.

Avanti
Avanti

It’s very rare you come across an interviewee who knows her limits on what her hair can and can’t (comfortably) do and she doesn’t complain! Kudos to you Keshia!!! You have the hair many of the chemically straightened hair population desires the least and have somehow managed to make it gorgeous and healthy!!! All I sense in this interview is positivity!!! Which will help some newer naturals see that even if you have coarse, dense, thick hair, it can be just as beautiful as all other natural hair types! (I would love for my curls to be tighter like yours!)

B
B

I just love her response to the “How would you describe your texture?”

Aliya
Aliya

Lovely interview and gorgeous hair! I was wondering what is the honey treatment that you mentioned in your styling regimen? I am always on the lookout for solid diy/homemade receipes (i.e. have suberb results) and your hair is proof enough for me! Thanks and blessings on your journey.

Keshia
Keshia
Reply to  Aliya

Thank you! The honey treatment is pretty simple to do. Just get some honey, you can do a half of cup or more of honey and apply it to damp hair. There is the option of mixing honey and olive oil, but I prefer just the honey. I get better results with it. Personally I like to coat my whole head with honey, so 1/2 cup doesn’t work for my full head of hair. Lol! Once your hair is coated with honey, put a shower cap on it. Let it sit for about 30 to 45 minutes then wash it… Read more »

Rachelle
Rachelle

She has the hair that causes hair envy!! I’ve been natural for 5+ and my hair is no where close to that look!! Thanks for sharing.

evadiva
evadiva

very full head of hair.Enter this unique coupon code KAP753 when you shop at iherb.com.You will get $10 off your first purchase at iherb.com where you can buy affordable beauty products, natural products, vitamins and much more. All brands available.

Nat
Nat

I love how big your hair is! How did you get into majoring in Classical Language? I take Latin in high school and it’s the bane of my existence. Catullus, Cicero, and Horatio are my enemies.

Keshia
Keshia
Reply to  Nat

I have always had an interest in Greek Mythology. Also, before deciding on a major, I researched what would be the most benefical major for future law students. Political science was one of them but Classical Language was not too far behind. I love Greek and Latin! Lol, I have a Latin class that is all about Cicero. I can understand why you are not a fan of his.

Shameka
Shameka

Beautiful hair!!! What do you use for your wash and gos?

Keshia
Keshia
Reply to  Shameka

Shameka, I just use Eco Styler Gel. I am starting to weed out gel usage when it comes to wash n gos. I like my curls to be softer. So I will keep you updated.