Vogue Magazine Highlights Natural Beauty

Avatar • Aug 17, 2012

Vogue Magazine gave a subliminal nod to natural hair by featuring their Booking Associate, Simone Tetteh, in a photoshoot entitled Five Days, Five Looks, One Girl. The shoot highlights Simone’s unique style and gorgeous hair, styled by Anthony Dickey of the famous Hair Rules salon. We’ve included some of our favorite photos below. Click this link to view the full photoshoot. Ladies, what do you think of the shots?

Dana
Dana

I only like the photo with the yellow dress. the others don’t do it for me. they were half-hearted tries. That white woman with the red hair looks a mess.

Octavianne
Octavianne
Reply to  Dana

Why does she ‘look a mess’? Would she look a mess if she were black?

Rou
Rou
Reply to  Dana

I disagree with your statement about the white girl! I like her frizzy hair and the color is gorgeous! But, I’m partial to red hair! I always loved red hair!

jnyckel
jnyckel

i like the rainy day look, practical and tres chic!!

Runawaygal©
Runawaygal©

My opinion is that more and more black women are wearing natural hair, so the rest of the world is embracing it..personally I think naturalistas are trendsetters, tribal prints, turbans etc lol 🙂

Tiffany

I love these images! She’s so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

SouthAfricanChick
SouthAfricanChick

What a gorgeous model So beautiful I love the concept and how her hair is styled throughout the photos. The one where her hair is straightened is also gorgeous.

Carla

I love this! I think the most important thing here that they may not even realize that they are showing is the versatility of natural hair 🙂

J
J
Reply to  Carla

Exactly,that is all that matters and I think it is a step in the right direction. 😀

Rachel
Rachel
Reply to  Carla

And this is actually brilliant, because it subconciously enters people’s mind as a totally acceptable and normal way for black women to wear their hair!

cassieo
cassieo

love the yellow dress!

nellboogie
nellboogie

THAT. WAS. AMAZING!!!!!!

Nini
Nini

My favorite is the one of her posing with the skateboard. And the redhead looks good, too (she must’ve watched Brave XD).

nubia
nubia

Love the look and the acknowledgment. Once mainstream media accepts normal every day folks will follow. That is both good and bad in respect, but you cant take from the effect that a “natural” was featured in a publication that is known and appreciated around the world. KEEP UP THE GREAT NATUAL LOOKS FELLOW NATURALISTAS.. THE WORLD IS WATCHING.. even when we dont know that they are 🙂

nappy headed black girl

At first glance you may think there’s not much she can do, but I like how they showed the versatility.

I wonder what the other two looks were.

Zanthe
Zanthe

I really wish I could do style three. My hair is not compliant though.

treece12
treece12

Gorgeous girl: skin, hair, smile.

Love the yellow dress. Yay for some colour in Vogue!

evadiva
evadiva

Vogue is trying to jump on the natural hair band wagon too.
Enter this unique coupon code KAP753 when you shop at iherb.com.You will get $10 off your first purchase at iherb.com where you can buy affordable beauty products, natural products and much more. All brands available.

Lorraine
Lorraine

Love the first 2 shots. Why do we need models that are always white, pale, tall and skinny when she just looks just as great if not better. I’m more inclined to buy clothes if the model looks more like me in terms of size, shape and skin tone.

Gerpha
Gerpha

Great shoot! Beautiful women.

J
J

Vogue is what sets the tone so I am happy.I couldn’t care for their approval but some people will never have seen natural hair weave free so this is their intro. 🙂

Tia
Tia

was this featured in the actual magazine or just on their website??…Anyways, never been a fan of vogue b/c I think it is pretetious and just does not appeal to my sartorial taste…but it’s great that a black woman and naturalista was featured. Her skin is so lovely and that yellow dress definitely highlights that feature. The other styles are just so-so. at least they tried lol

lovy36
lovy36

She looks great.

Check out Vogue giving a nod to curly haired ladies of different races, lol.

Off topic, am I the only one who considers that dress green? Y’all had me going over the pictures again looking for a yellow dress. “Oh, they mean that green dress?” lol.

Smlisley
Smlisley
Reply to  lovy36

What’s funny is she refers to the dress as green in the slide show : )

Val
Val

Gorgeous girl. If she’s not a model as well as a Booking Associate, she should be. In the photo with the skateboard, she looks so young and fresh, and mature and sophisticated all at once. Love the hair, especially, in that photo too. Thanks for sharing.

Smlisley
Smlisley

Gorgeous lady! I agree with the majority here, her hair in the first photo is very pretty. Just went through the slide show and the accessories are to DIE for! I love her style!

hairscapades

+1 on the “Gorgeous” comments!! She’s stunning!!

Shelli

Creatividual

I think they look great. She’s beautiful!

Eloquence
Eloquence

Red-haired woman = a nod to Grace Coddington
Both Grace and this anonymous woman look hot!
The black woman is gorgeous too — so poised!

Boy, I’d sure love to be able to skate to work!
I’d be too cool!
New Year’s Resolution in the works already …

Natalie
Natalie

I really liked her hairstyle in the first photo and third photo, I’m pretty sure it is the same style just from a different angle. It would be great if Grace could be interviewed for the website and give us all a hair tutorial.

Viv
Viv

Simone is stunning, fabulous hair, fabulous clothes, fabulous legs. I loved this!

L-L
L-L

she look like ‘It’

Bridget
Bridget

Very nice! I esp. like the overalls w/the stilettos;it’s an unexpected yet stylish look.