Jamila // Multi-Texture Style Icon *Update*

Avatar • Aug 28, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Jamila was originally featured on May 20, 2010. I caught up with her to find out what’s new in her natural hair journey.

Introduce yourself!
J:
My name is Jamila and I’m from Charlotte, NC (currently residing in Washington, D.C.)

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
J:
I like to say I went natural by accident. I was in college and couldn’t afford to go back home for my routine relaxers, so I decided to get my hair flat ironed every few weeks instead. After a few months of feeling my new growth, I decided I wanted to explore my natural hair. As a first year student in college, my transition process came at the perfect time: as I was discovering more about my hair, I discovered more about myself. I’ve been natural for almost five years. My last relaxer was in fall of 2007, and I did my big chop in summer of 2008.

How would you describe your texture?
J:
I have a mix of 3b and 4a hair, with fine strands and not a lot of volume.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
J:
I wash, condition, and detangle my hair once a week using a sulfate free shampoo and Aussie Moist or Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner. I (try to) deep condition every two weeks (using a mix of conditioner, extra virgin olive oil, and honey). I set my hair in two-strand-twists using a leave-in conditioner and sealing with shea butter. I’ve been on the hunt for a leave-in that I love, so I’ve been experimenting with various brands, but none I’m super crazy about.

What does wash day look like for you?
J:
Wash day is pretty simple: I shampoo my entire head (again — not settled on a favorite shampoo, but the following work well for me: Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap, Shea Moisture Coconut/Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo, or Crème of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine Shampoo). After I shampoo, I add a dollop of conditioner to my hair before rinsing the shampoo out. I then condition and detangle by adding a ton of slippery conditioner (Aussie Moist or Hello Hydration) to my hair. I first finger detangle and then run a wide tooth comb through my hair from ends to root. I rinse my hair with cold water, hop out of the shower and I’m done!

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
J:
My favorite go-to hairstyle is a low puff with the front and sides of my hair twisted/rolled back into the puff.

How do you combat shrinkage?
J:
I combat shrinkage by letting my hair dry only when it’s set in twists, using a generous amount of product, and allowing my hair to dry fully in the twists before I take them out.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
J:
I get terrible fairy knots. My hair tangles and snaps and breaks like nobody’s business. I’ve not been as diligent as I should have been with getting regular trims or being super gentle on my hair, so as a result, haven’t experienced the growth that most 4/5 year naturals have.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
J:
Deep condition regularly and keep knots and split ends under control.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
J:
Over manipulation and not enough moisture!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
J:
Yep! CollegeCurlies.blogspot.com

About Meosha

Tia
Tia

3b?? Hmmmm…

anyway love your hair, and I have been natural since 2010 and only started getting hair growth this year :(„ for different reasons though, so the journey is different for each person 🙂

Jula
Jula

Beautiful hair, especially that first pic! Sure you’re 3b?

Oma
Oma

Guys! She said she’s a mix of 3b and 4a. I wonder y u guys only saw the 3b. From her old pictures, I think she’s very correct. The mix cud be in various percentages.
Jamila ur hair is so pretty and fabulous. Love love!!!

KaraJ
KaraJ

Love her hair and I am a fan of her website, she creates some cutes styles with her twists

prieta
prieta

Looks like 4a and b to me…3B is very loose waves, which are not visible at all.

Landry
Landry
Reply to  prieta

I have 4a/b hair, and keeping it stretched practically eliminates fairy knots. I wear it out in a twist or braid out most of the time.

You have really pretty hair Jamila!

Inf
Inf

Why do people do that???? When people won’t say what “type” they fall in to, that’s a problem and when they do every body is side eyein’ the type they say they are.…I imagine the featured curly finds that very annoying. Did everyone just skip over the 4a part??? I’m saying…it’s her hair, most of the pictures are twist or twistouts, so why question the girl???

Really pretty hair Jamilla!!!!

Randomosity
Randomosity
Reply to  Inf

+1 but you know some people like to judge, and if it’s not to their liking they’re ready for the attack.

VERY pretty!

PB
PB

Beautiful hair! I love your website, I visit it often

df
df

OH GOD PLEASE DON’T START WITH THE HAIR TYPE IDENTIFICATION SAGA LIKE IT MATTERS THAT MUCH.

treece
treece
Reply to  df

Thank You!

Ugh

Alicia L.
Alicia L.

Beautiful!

Tami
Tami

Are you people serious, HER HAIR IS WHATEVER SHE SAYS IT IS!!!! I can’t with some of these comments they are truly disgusting, since you guys are such hair experts why are you on this site, #rolling eyes. You hair is beautiful and I believe your hair texture varies probably in different amounts in various places all over your head. Sometimes I love reading these comments and then sometimes I wonder about the black community and why we are so judgmental aka haters. Sorry for the mini rant LOL

B
B
Reply to  Tami

MS
MS
Reply to  Tami

+20!

arlette
arlette
Reply to  Tami

i would not comment even if she said her hair was 1A because who cares??? i certainly dont.

B
B

I hate hwo everyone has to question someone ELSES hair type!! WTF, why does it matter to YOU what she calls her hair??! BGLH should just stop having the “style icons” to label their hair all it leading to is folks B*^tching!

Rachelle
Rachelle

People can other posters ask questions! Have different opinions! I thought this is a free country… Sheesh! her hair really does not look 3c, do you want to kill me for saying that!

S.O
S.O

Once again, she said it was a mixture of 3b and 4a, and to be honest it really doesn’t matter either way. Really its just hair and its just a bit of fun! I think her hair beautiful and she always has interesting styles that I want to try. 🙂

Zanthe
Zanthe

Really! The people on here who keep telling others that they cannot have an opinion are soo annoying. Of course if she is labelled 3b and 4a then people are going to remark on it when they see that her hair does not look like a 3b or 3c etc under the system that the number/letter classification comes from. It is just a general guideline at this point so maybe BGLH should not put the numbers and letters on style icons who may not really know what they are under Andre’s typing system. Why can’t they just say whether they… Read more »

Shan
Shan
Reply to  Zanthe

Except…she’s not saying her hair is just 3b. She said it was a mix of both 3b AND 4a. It seems like that just goes over everyones head and they just comment on the 3b part. Are you expecting some exact 50/50 mix here? Are you saying she can’t have patches of 3b in her hair? That she has to have a massive amount of 3b in it for even to say she has a mix? Help me out…I’m not understanding why people are saying she doesn’t have a mix when they’re not in her hair. Why are people just… Read more »

B
B
Reply to  Shan

df
df
Reply to  Zanthe

because all it usually turns into is people arguing over someone’s else’s hair because everyone feels that they are RIGHT about diagnosing someone else’s hair type like they are the authority on it…it’s happened time and time again and it’s annoying as hell and the worst thing is that it’s pretty much a superficial trait of the hair. Oh and isn’t it interesting how people zero in on giving dissenting opinions on her hair type but rarely anything else? Like they just gotta speak up and make sure the person knows they are pretty much wrong/delusional about what they think their… Read more »

df
df
Reply to  Zanthe

It is just a general guideline at this point so maybe BGLH should not put the numbers and letters on style icons who may not really know what they are under Andre’s typing system. Why can’t they just say whether they are fine medium, coarse, kinky or curly within the interview and leave it at that? Putting their so-called type on just confuses people.”

i wholeheartedly agree with this…

Zanthe
Zanthe
Reply to  df

I think if BGLH employed this the style icons could get genuine questions and admiration etc without the confusion over the hair type. I dislike the suggestion that you are a hair type nazi just because you happen to notice and point out something that is obviously evident. The girl has a nice head of hair and I think we can all leave it at that.

barbaranaturallyspeaking

Beautiful twists and styles!

Lele
Lele

Does it really matter that her hair doesn’t look like 3b hair, especially when she said 3b AND 4a? Maybe most of her hair is 4a, and only a couple of patches are 3b. We don’t know because she did not go deep into it. There are only a handful of hair types that people use, so no one head of hair is going to look exactly like someone who is in the same category. Do all 4b’s look exactly the same? No. I am a 4a, yet my hair looks more tightly coiled than many 4a hair types, but… Read more »

Lele
Lele

Jamila, I am a frequent visitor. I really like your hair and your blog!

Love JAH
Love JAH

Her hair looks 3c/4a to me especially when she has it twisted and blown out and flat ironed, as well as her wet hair…very pretty, regardless of the hair type, the hair looks healthy and loved

Kim
Kim

Some of you chicks need a life! Why was so much time spent commenting on hair types. That’s just why I don’t type my hair! Some of you must be new to this because people who have s#!t to do don’t invest that much time on negativity. Her hair is what the hell she say it is.

Taheerah
Taheerah

Ah, I can always count on a childish debate whenever the style icon’s texture is mentioned. It does not matter to me because I see beautiful, healthy hair.

Redseouls
Redseouls

Lady you have VERY lovely hair! Thanks for sharing!

Eloisa
Eloisa

This is the reason I don’t do hair typing. The entire hairsystem is flawed.