Denys // 3C Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Aug 26, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
D:
Blessings! My name is Denys (pronounced Denise) weird spelling I know, from Connecticut. I’m also known as Naturally Nys in the natural hair community.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
D:
I have been natural for 13 years now!! I’m one of the Natural Hair OG’s LOL. I was there before the blogs, YouTube and natural hair dictionary all began.

I went natural after an experience in college when I attended the million youth march. At that point in my life all I grew up around was relaxed hair and “good hair” curly girls. But that day ingrained in my mind will forever be the oasis of natural hair textures, styles, and skin colors. I didn’t know it then, but I fell in love with natural hair and that’s what triggered my decision a year later to do the BC.

How would you describe your texture?
D:
I know there’s that debate on categorizing hair and some naturalistas don’t like to put their hair in a box. But I really don’t care. I think the numbers are there for those who are trying to identify with someone who has a similar texture in hopes of finding products that will also work for them. With that being said, I am a 3C. I have fine strands, but my roots can be coarse. My hair is like a chameleon. It is deceiving to the eye lol especially a hairdresser’s eye. I can go a week without styling or washing and have this huge nappy, kinky fro. Come washday my hair looks thin, super curly, and easy to manage and straighten. So that’s my hair in a nutshell.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
D:
My styling regimen is pretty simple unless I’m trying to do something fancy. Be it flexi-rods or a twist out. My regimen consists of using a leave-in or curl definer, gel, and a sealer (such as coconut, castor or jojoba oil) after washday. If it’s a fancy style I take my time and use my very own concoction of gel, coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil and Aloe Vera (from the actual plant if I have one available). I always use gel when styling because it’s what holds and helps define my hair. It’s been a minute, but I do wear protective styles. You will catch me in buns, weave, or wigs. I don’t discriminate lol.

My staple products are:
Gels: Fruit of the earth Aloe Vera or the Fantasia IC Hair Polisher (white or green)
Leave-ins: 7 Hierbas, Leche de Cabra, Giovanni Direct Leave-in or Cantu Shea Butter
Curl Definers: Redken Fresh Curls or Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum (more for frizz)
Sealers: Coconut Oil, Jamaican Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, or Argan Oil

What does wash day look like for you?
D:
Wash day is usually every Friday. Shampoo, Conditioner, Leave-in, Gel Sealer and Deep Treatments (which I’m slacking on).
Shampoo: 7 Hierbas, Leche de Cabra, or any shampoo available
Conditioner: 7 Hierbas Mask (it’s honestly the only thing penetrating my shafts lately. I think because of the length of my hair) and Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose
Deep Treatments: Olive Oil prepoo, The 7 Hierbas Mask just with a cap and left in longer

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
D:
Pulled back pony tail using my famous pantyhose trick lol or a non-lint free FRO lol. I am infamous for rolling out of bed and that’s it. VOILA!!

How do you combat shrinkage?
D:
I squeeze out excess water prior to putting in my products on washday. I sometimes use ponytail holders at the ends of my hair to weigh it down. And definitely I try not to over product my hair especially with curl refiners. They make me look like I a have a Jheri curl and lots of SHRINKAGE. No BUENO!

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
D:
Less is more. Stick with 2 products at a time. Twist outs are definitely hair love for me.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
D:
Don’t use too many products at once. I don’t like using things with harsh fragrances. I am very sensitive to smells. And I try to really use all natural products, but there are those 2 previously mentioned that just work with my hair although they are not the best ones to use.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
D:
BUT OF COURSE!!! I am everywhere lolol. Too many hats.
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/nyscurls08
Blog: http://nyscurls08.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/naturallynys

My Photography:
Official Site: http://www.essyncephotography.com/
Blog: http://www.essyncephotography.com/blog/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/essyncephotography
Tumblr: http://essyncephotography.tumblr.com/

About Meosha

GiGi
GiGi

OMG!!!! I’m in love! Lol, it’s like I’ve found my hair twin’s cousin or something. My hair acts like yours the only difference is that I’m mixed with 3b, 3c and 4a. This is super awesome, reading this made my day. Anyways lol love your hair, and you’ve just received a brand new follower! 🙂

Coconut And Cream

Lovely hair!

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

I REALLY DON’T LIKE IT WHEN SOME ONE STATES THEY’VE BEEN NATURAL BEFORE BLOGS AND YOUTUBE. NO ONE CARES, IT DOESN’T MAKE YOU BETTER THEN THE NEXT NATURAL. WOULD YOU LIKE A COOKIE?

treece12
treece12
Reply to  TINA SMITH

@ Tina Smith, that doesn’t make it any less factual.

Venus
Venus
Reply to  treece12

Tina aren’t you the same person that made an ugly comment to someone just Bc they said they didn’t have to braid or protect their hair to grow?? You really have issues…

Naturally Nys
Reply to  TINA SMITH

THanks Gigi (made me blush) and Coconut and Cream!

Aww Tina its ok, never stated that i was better than anyone, I actually wished those things were in place when I was starting out my journey. It would have made things alot easier. I hope you had a chance to read the whole interview 🙂 And btw I LOVE COOKIES!!

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Naturally Nys

I can relate to that. I too am an old school natural i always say i wish i knew half the things i know now. It’s not about being better than anyone else, i have hughe admiration for all you young uns. You all are definately teaching me a thing or 2.

Naturally Nys
Reply to  maralondon

Agreed! Exactly my point. My sister is teaching me about products that I never knew about and that weren’t around before.

Jasmine
Jasmine
Reply to  Naturally Nys

How mature of you! What an awesome response. I love your hair btw, its gorg.

meowmix
meowmix
Reply to  Jasmine

ITA. I’ve been natural forever due to a bad perm that burned my scalp. It wasn’t till young uns started sharing that I learned to take care of it though. I’m a cookie fan too;)

Hillary
Reply to  TINA SMITH

I’m glad you shared that with all of us. Would YOU like a cookie?

Lea
Lea
Reply to  Hillary

She really mad tho lol

Hillary
Reply to  TINA SMITH

@ Tina Smith. I’m really glad you shared that with all of us. Would YOU like a cookie?

Zanthe
Zanthe
Reply to  TINA SMITH

No need to be aggressive. Maybe you want some cooking fat for that chip on your shoulder.

S.O
S.O
Reply to  Zanthe

HAHAHAHHAHA The responses are hilarious. Mmmmmm cookie…

Soraida Valentin-Trotman
Soraida Valentin-Trotman

Love Denys and her lovely hair! Keep the inspiration coming!

keisha
keisha

beautiful hair and LOVE your blog! you’re very talented! I can’t wait to upgrade to a SLR!

Jasmine
Jasmine

I really loved her article. I liked that she had pics from different stages in her growth and the fact that she experimented with color (all of which I love as well).

Kimberly
Kimberly

I love your article and of course all your pretty photos of your hair journey. I’m been one of your YT subscribers for a while and now stalking you on instagram & FB. (just kidding about the stalking) Love your style and your photos Ms. Lady 🙂 Keep it coming {*,*}

Naturally Nys

LOL at the comments and all the SUPPORT! Thanks Ladies. I always feel it takes more energy to say something negative than it is to encourage somebody. I thank everyone who took the time out to read the interview. I love sharing my natural hair journey in hopes that it can help someone else. And keep the stalking coming! 😉 I kid, I kid.

Be Blessed.

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

Her comment wasn’t encouraging it was bragging. Like she the only person that been natural a long time. After so many years this all you have? Btw the multi color played out years ago

Naturally Nys
Reply to  TINA SMITH

I really don’t have to address your comment, but I choose to. I can see that you are a young woman holding on to a lot of hurt. Arrogance? Or bragging as your phrased it, not at all. But PRIDE definitely. Why wouldn’t I be proud of something that I chose to do for this long and that seemed insignificant back then, yet now has given me the opportunity to impact other people on a deeper level such as self acceptance is. And at the same time be a part of this beautiful natural hair community. Precious Tina, don’t always… Read more »

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  Naturally Nys

Venus
Venus
Reply to  Naturally Nys

What a classy response Nys! This person (Tina Smith) always makes ugly snarky remarks to people… Your attitude and your hair are both lovely!

Landry
Landry
Reply to  Venus

Smith—Jealousy is such an ugly spirit.…please deal with it before you make comments, it’s the root of all of your negativity.

@Naturally Nys—Your response speaks volumes about the classy lady that you are. Your hair and spirit are gorgeous–be blessed!

lovelylauz02
lovelylauz02
Reply to  Landry

+1 We all need to pray Tina Smith through this. Nys.… Girl you are rockin it! Keep up and many blessings to ya! You are an inspiration to us all (those of us who appreciate another successful black woman with natural hair). GO GIRL!!!!

Dana
Dana
Reply to  Naturally Nys

You go girl! Hold your beautiful pioneering head up for all of us!

KD
KD
Reply to  TINA SMITH

Smith– girl you have issues, you need to stay off this site until you get yourself together!

Cee Mac
Cee Mac

Lovin the versatility of styles!

Amor
Amor

Spoken like a true woman Denys. I admire you for speaking so nicely to someone who was being a bit rude.

theclasseone
theclasseone

Love Love the hair!! The positive attitude is a MAJOR plus…will be be checking out your channel…Stay blessed and CLASSY!!

Kelly
Kelly

Cool styles. With the different colors throughout the years, do you find you have to let the current color grow out, do you cut it off, or do you professionally have someone color over it?

Naturally Nys
Reply to  Kelly

Hi Kelly and thank your for the compliment :). Most of the time I do let the color grow out or just color over it. I have a stylist who has colored my hair and sometimes I just put the color in myself when I get the itch to change it. I can be impatient sometimes 😉

Diedra
Diedra

Hi Denys,
we went to school together. I never got to know you but now I wish I’d had the chance. I like your interview, your comments, and your hair. Keep keeping on.

Naturally Nys
Reply to  Diedra

Hi Diedra,

That was such a sweet thing to say. Than You. We can still get to know each other :). You can find me on my fb page and message anytime!

Candace
Candace

I love your hair, its so luxurious and juicy!! You hair is my inspiration…because let’s face it…sometimes these TWA days get rough! Its nice to see what I have to look forward to as my hair begins to grow out. Sorry there are some haters out there, hating on how cute your are LOL. Brush your shoulders off girl!

Naturally Nys
Reply to  Candace

lol i so LOVE your adjectives! Thank you sooo much for the support and encouragement!
Be Blessed
Nys

gracie
gracie

Aargh! I LOVE! Love your styles, love your colours, love your attitude. So much inspiration all round.

Naturally Nys