Asherah // 4A/B Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Aug 3, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
A:
My name is Asherah and I am from Barbados, but currently living and working in Jamaica.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
A:
Well I had started an internship at the hospital back home in Barbados, and rarely had time to go to a stylist to have my then-relaxed hair done. Also as a relaxed head I never did anything with it myself. I relied on a stylist to wash, treat, rollerset etc. So I got a weave, and that was that. Occasionally I would return to the stylist and get a new weave. So I didn’t relax my hair for about 6 months.

Then I moved back to Jamaica in Jan 2011 for work and was assigned to a hospital in a rural area. So now I was without my usual stylist and unknowledgeable as to how to care for my hair. So I got it braided and I wore braids back to back for another 6 months. During this time I discovered the hair boards, and a whole new world was opened to me. I learned how to care for my hair — deep conditioning, moisturizing and sealing, ayurveda, protective styling etc. And I dove headfirst into my healthy hair journey.

So in October 2011, while struggling to deal with the tangled relaxed ends at 2am, I wondered exactly why I was holding onto them (looking very thin and pathetic next to my new growth). I couldn’t come up with a good reason, so I picked up the scissors and chopped them off. It felt so good be 100% natural and I haven’t looked back since. I have been fully natural since October 2011.

How would you describe your texture?
A:
My hair is a 4a/b mix. I have very fine strands at my nape, which are susceptible to breakage and must be babied. And at the front of my head including my crown I have thick, coarse strands — this area is also very, very dense.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
A:
I have learned to master 2 strand flat twists, cornrows, two strand twists and flexi rod sets since beginning this hair journey. In terms of styling, I am on an updo kick. I love them! It allows me to keep my ends hidden for 2 weeks at a time.

I always start with clean, freshly washed wet hair. I first oil my scalp with castor oil and I apply Silk Dreams Silky Soft Leave-in Cream to the length of my hair. Then I moisturize with Qhemet Biologics’ Amla & Olive Heavy Cream and add a little bit of their Aethiopika Hydrate & Twist Butter to seal. Finally I use just a dab of Ecostyler Gel for added hold. I then go on to style my updo (which usually consists of flats twists and two strand twists pinned up) or do two strand twists alone.

2x during the week I will spritz with Oyin Handmade’s Juices & Berries and dab a bit of coconut oil on my hair. If I have worn 2 strand twists for the week, on the weekend I will wear a twistout.

What does wash day look like for you?
A:
If I decide to do updos for the month, wash day is 2x for the month. If I do two-strand twists I wash weekly. Once a month I clarify with bentonite clay, deep condition with a rhassoul clay treatment (rhassoul clay + marshmallow root/burdock root tea/aloe vera juice/coconut oil). The other wash days I usually do a mild protein DC on dry hair with Aubrey Organics GPB, then shampoo (applied to scalp only) with Creme of Nature (green bottle). Do a tea rinse with black tea and that is followed usually by an ayurvedic DC — amla/brahmi mix.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
A:
Well my hair is usually in an updo these days, so I never have an issue with having enough time for styling.

How do you combat shrinkage?
A:
To be honest when I do styles, shrinkage is never a factor. I actually don’t mind it because it keeps my hair off my shoulders (preventing friction and breakage). Plus I style my hair wet, so it definitely shrinks as it dries.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
A:
The hair at my nape cannot handle friction on clothing etc. So I usually try to pin up the hair at the back.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
A:
1. Handle with care — Be gentle when detangling, try to use a product with LOTS of slip. 2. Low manipulation is key for the fine strands at my nape, so I always try to keep that in mind.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
A:
1. Wash and goes = Knot/tangle city. 2. Sleeping on cotton pillowcases — dries my hair out terribly.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
A:
You can find me on tumblr…fortheloveofmyfro.tumblr.com. I just started a blog of the same moniker — fortheloveofmyfro.blogspot.com and I’m also on Instagram.

About Meosha

DiJah
DiJah

Asherah do you find all those products in JA? Or you get them elsewhere? I’m coming home for a month and i wanna know if i should risk it eith tsa or try to find them while in town.

Btw you have a beautiful head of hair, gonna check out your blog…i ned a tutorial on that updo in the 2nd pic 🙂

Mel
Mel
Reply to  DiJah

Same thing I’m wondering. I plan on stacking up my herds and henna to carry home with me. NO WAY can you find all those things in JA…LOL

DiJah
DiJah
Reply to  Mel

Hey Mel, for henna, I know the Indian store House of Spices in Marketplace, or next door Pizza Hut in Northside Plaza (in Kgn) sells henna, i’m not sure about other natural products, I hope she answers soon so I know what to pack lol

Asherah
Reply to  DiJah

@DiJah and @mel – for henna as well as ayurvedic powders you can get them at the indian store next to Pizza Hut in Northside Plaza, Liguanea. They also sell Vatika oil which I love. For my herbs that I use for tea rinses – there is a healthfood store in Village Plaza (opposite BK Barbican), and another in Sovereign Shopping Centre, Liguanea. Both sell marshmallow root, burdock root etc. The one in Sovereign also sells bentonite clay. Nettle & Moss at 44 Lady Musgrave Road sells Curl Junkie, Jane Carter, Blendable Beauty, Jessicurl, Dr.Bronners. The owner also is trying to… Read more »

Sheree
Sheree
Reply to  DiJah

Boy if she found those things in JA she really need to answer because I’ve never seen them anywhere. Awesome to see an island girl repped here!

Asherah
Reply to  Sheree

Hey Sheree! I did answer earlier…it probably got lost among the other comments. Here ya go 🙂 @DiJah and @mel – for henna as well as ayurvedic powders and henna you can get them at the indian store next to Pizza Hut in Northside Plaza, Liguanea. They also sell Vatika oil which I love. For my herbs that I use for tea rinses – there is a healthfood store in Village Plaza (opposite BK Barbican), and another in Sovereign Shopping Centre, Liguanea. Both sell marshmallow root, burdock root etc. The one in Sovereign also sells bentonite clay. Nettle & Moss at 44 Lady… Read more »

Stevie

I love the twist updo, I wish I knew how to do that

Cia
Cia

Love the styles! Pretty girl with beautiful hair!

Viv
Viv

I officially have twist updo envy-absolutely spectacular!

Shameka
Shameka

Gorgeous styles!! I need to start practicing!

K.Nicole

I agree w/ those who fell for the twist up-do I want to learn to do that, it’s gorgeous!

Great hair!

Janelle
Janelle

Way to go! Barbados all the way. Great seeing a fellow bajan on my fav site. Your hair looks gorgeous keep that way!

Jai
Jai

Her hair is gorgeous!!

elleroc
elleroc

Awesome post. I lo e her hair! I’d love to do the twist updo

nelle
nelle

BAJE!!! So pretty! Gorgeous features, skin, and hair. I love love love love love how neat and pretty your corkscrews are!! I’m sorry that the link on fb said in Jamaica. It shoud say In Jamaica, from B’dos. I know Leila knows the difference between the islands b/c she’s an islander, but until Rihanna, a lot of people (not familiar w/ the Caribbean) would always assume if they heard a Caribbean accent one was from Jamaica.

Home daycare
Reply to  nelle

So true! People would keep asking if my mom was from JA and I would have to keep explaining.

NikNak
NikNak

JA! Anyhow, mannnn, there is something just mesmerizing about this texture of hair. It’s so beautiful. My husband’s hair is this texture and I love playing in it when he lets it grow out a little, although I know I knot it up from twisting it around my finger, lol.

Anyways, you are beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. All the way around: your complexion, features and hair. And I’m really jealous of the thickness. I love full hair in any texture. If I could just have a few more strands, I’d be so happy.

Asherah
Reply to  NikNak

*blush* Thank you 😀

Cee Mac

Beautiful! Love the hairstyles

kifsgirl
kifsgirl

Hey, Meowmix here:) It is so cool to see all these wonderful pictures. I really like the one with the gold headband. You know I’ve been enjoying your styling skills for a while. If I could get 1/2 as good as you, I’d be so happy:) Very well done:)

Asherah
Reply to  kifsgirl

Thanks Meowmix! 🙂

EG
EG

Beautifu hair and skin. Go team type 4

JulesB
JulesB

Nice another Bajan represented. Love your hair and you are beautiful.

Asherah
Reply to  JulesB

Thank you! I saw your feature.…GORGEOUS! I would love to have Big hair like yours.

Asherah

Thank you all for your compliments and kind words. Truly humbled by it all. @DiJah and @mel — for henna as well as ayurvedic powders you can get them at the indian store next to Pizza Hut in Northside Plaza, Liguanea. They also sell Vatika oil which I love. For my herbs that I use for tea rinses — there is a healthfood store in Village Plaza (opposite BK Barbican), and another in Sovereign Shopping Centre, Liguanea. Both sell marshmallow root, burdock root etc. The one in Sovereign also sells bentonite clay. Nettle & Moss at 44 Lady Musgrave Road sells Curl… Read more »

Jane
Jane

Beautiful lady, beautiful hair. I love her style.

sonia
sonia

Think you could post a tutorial of your twisted updo on youtube? Love it!

Asherah
Reply to  sonia

Thank you!…I posted my first vid ever on the latest updo I did. I couldn’t film the entire process tho. So it’s more explaining how i start the hairstyle. It’s titles August Updo — fortheloveofmyfro channel.

ladyluo
ladyluo

These are some seriously great hair styles

Dannielle
Dannielle

Barbados in the house! Love your hair.

Asherah
Reply to  Dannielle

Thank you! Repping the 246! 😀

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Everything I see here in these photos is GORGEOUS!