Willow Smith, Marsha Ambrosius & More Rock Natural Hair at the BET Awards

Avatar • Jul 3, 2012

So the natural hair pickings were somewhat slim at the BET Awards, but the ladies who did rock it looked incredible. Let’s get to it!

Marsha Ambrosius’ barrel curls had incredible volume.

Willow Smith rocked her famous short cut with a wide brimmed hat. Cute!

Gospel singer Amber Bullock added red and blonde tones to her hair and finished the look with some volume at the front.

Elle Varner swept her curls to the side

And singer Chante Moore went for a “wild curls” look. Gorgeous!

Ladies, which look is your favorite?

Sheyla

Its sad to see that they were slim but I definitely agree that these ladies rocked it!

merry
merry
Reply to  Sheyla

slim?

treece
treece
Reply to  merry

Not enough natural haired ladies

Etty
Etty

Marsha Ambrosius! She looked so classy! And I love her dress ???

Mcleand
Mcleand

I am soo loving Marsha’s hair, it’s absolutely stunning. As for Amber Bullock she is dazzling in that outfit.

Annie L.
Annie L.

Really liking Willow’s charm and style, that cropped pixie is adorable and so is her fresh-faced MU!

Marsha Ambrosius can do no wrong for me, I am all over the curly shag, just wish she went back to her blonde hues and she’s killing the lavender peep-toes.

Funky retro color combo and Little Richard pomp for Amber Bullock 🙂

And I’ve missed the beautiful Chante Moore, the caramel high- and low-lights are pretty, I think the style would’ve been a hit had it stopped at shoulder-length. I didn’t watch the awards but I’m glad a few natural looks were present!

Jaslene
Jaslene

Elle Varner’s dress loves it. My fav out of the pics.

KaraJ
KaraJ

Marsha was so beautiful love the pop of color in her dress.…

hassan
hassan

Amber Bullock! I think her hairstyle was cute & creative!

Kc
Kc

I really wish Willow would dress like a little lady. I’m not liking this look for her. Marsha’s hair is beautiful.

Cacey
Cacey
Reply to  Kc

i’ll admit. before i saw the head to toe shot and read the caption i soooo thought that was a lil boy. she’s such a pretty girl though.

Wowzers
Wowzers

So when is Willow Smith coming out of the closet? I’m just sayin’

df
df
Reply to  Wowzers

huh? so any girl who cuts her hair or dresses like that is gay? Where your raised and continue to reside in a cardboard box?

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  Wowzers

It must really smart to know that an accomplished 11 y/o is confident enough to be her unabashed, fresh-faced, pixie-cropped, modestly-accessorized, ‘anti-bling’ unique, natural self — and still be one of the hottest commodities to be photographed on a red carpet. Many adults don’t have that kind of confidence, let alone that kind of star power. Also, I hate being baited by trolls, but she’s a kid and you’ve posted before and should know, do and be better.

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Annie L.

Amen!

Nana
Nana
Reply to  Wowzers

Are you implying there’s something wrong with being gay? That “gay” comes in a certain look? That they should stay closeted? Please elaborate on your thoughts. I’m sooooo interested in the ideology of bigots. Really, how do you tick?

Tia
Tia

Apart from the fact that BET makes me feel ashamed, all the ladies looked good (hair-wise at least lol)

kifsgirl
kifsgirl
Reply to  Tia

LOL. Co-sign.

Amber
Amber
Reply to  Tia

why does it make you feel ashamed? How does a television station do that to you?

Tia
Tia
Reply to  Amber

Mainly because BET is supposed to cater to “us” and represent “us”(at least that’s what I think/suppose their mission is) but brings nothing inspiring,uplifting or educational to the table. It does the exact opposite IMO. And no, I don’t spend all day crying over BET’s programming b/c I actually avoid it lol…but when I am reminded of its existence,I do feel ashamed.

Cacey
Cacey
Reply to  Tia

well i didn’t watch much BET when i was coming up, as it was nothin but foolishness then. it’s gotten a LOT better now from what i hear. i don’t mind “the game” and “let’s stay together”, but i do wish they’d find something other to play than tyler perry reruns…and those plays on sunday have me shaking my head and wondering why we can’t get some better scripts. but other than that, it’s come a long way, though i do see your general mood.

charisse
charisse

great to see more women venture out and own their natural look.…

LM
LM

Coming out of the closet? Am I missing something? I was a HUGE tomboy until I reached high school (and only slightly became more girly as I’ve always liked hanging out with guys more than girl..alot less drama) and I still enjoy playing contact sports and horse playing with the guys every now and again…Does this mean I am “in the closet??” She’s coming into her own. who says she has to dress, look,or act a certain way to be a straight? Isn’t natural hair also “going against the grain?”

LM
LM
Reply to  LM

*to be straight* lol sorry

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  LM

=)

Inf
Inf

I think people, especially adults, need to get off Willow’s case. She should dress like a girl, why did her parents let her cut her hair off…blah blah blah. It’s so tiring. If you have ever heard/seen any of the interviews with Will…he explains his views on her dressing and hair choices. She is an artist and that form of expression doesn’t just stop because the public has opinions. I commend her for her ability to be what she wants, what ever that is. It’s her hair and her body, she should be the one deciding how it’s presented. All… Read more »

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Inf

+1 Being open-minded is a plus in life ladies =)

binks
binks
Reply to  Inf

+2 I agree some “adults” are getting way to comfortable shading and bad mouthing this child. I get some people are old school when it comes to how a child, particularly a little black girl” should be raised but questioning this child sexuality, reading some calling her out of her name and just the plain nasty comments says A LOT about some people.

But Willow and the rest of the lovely ladies look great and I did not know that was Chante Moore at the time of her performance.

anastasia
anastasia

They all look great! I love heels, pumps, and all that ish but I’m LOVIN’ Willow’s funky, fly, kickass boots!

Ogo
Ogo

Marsha for the win!

All the ladies looked great by the way. It’s their natural so it’s FAB!

Nana
Nana

The amount of shade thrown at little Black girls by some members of the Black community really scares me. Willow’s a child and above that– NOT YOUR CHILD. Y’all need to calm down.

Must we tear down every little Black baby for not being the paragon of ‘good’ behavior? And that quip above about ‘closeted’ behavior was just gross and unnecessary. Honestly, you’d think you can expect better from supposed adults…

Inf
Inf
Reply to  Nana

Amen!

Umm
Umm

Ya’ll are really sensitive up here omg! Nobody is trying to judge that child…but let’s be real she is a little “different”…(so I don’t step on your toes lol). It is not a Black or White thing, I know when ya’ll see White people’s “Emo” kids with all that black on looking like psycho killers ya’ll judge too, psst. The ONLY reason I would assume this child is gay…which there’s nothing wrong with in my opinion (my bff is bi/gay <3), is because they have pictures of her floating around holding her alleged girlfriend’s hand. I too was a tomboy… Read more »

Malantha
Malantha
Reply to  Umm

Please tell me that you are bored and trolling? Willow is an eleven year old CHILD. Experimenting with your look and holding hands with a female friend = gay at eleven? Surely you jest? What business is it of yours anyway?
Who told you that her friend is her girlfriend?
God forbid if she ever has a sleepover…

Umm
Umm
Reply to  Malantha

Please be quiet. Nothing about my comment was rude in any way for you to even rudely address me like that. #1 That is what was said in multiple articles which her parents have yet to decline…and the articles surfaced around the time of her publicly displaying her tongue ring with her girlfriend the week of the Gay Pride parade, PLEASE SPARE ME your emotional rebuttal, thank you. I know how old Willow Smith is, and like she said…she is “HER,” so why would her being Gay or whatever surprise you? Many of the Gay people I know didn’t just… Read more »

Malantha
Malantha
Reply to  Umm

Your response says everything I need to know about you. Ignorant, arrogant and devoid of class.
If you don’t want people to comment on your empty headed musings, here’s a tip; don’t make them in the first place.

BeautyIAM
BeautyIAM
Reply to  Malantha

I see what you’re saying, but you could have stated it differently. To just blatantly ask when is she going to come out the closet is so unnecessary. Why would you even care about an 11 year old girls sexuality? Its a bizarre thing to ask because she is a child.

Umm
Umm
Reply to  BeautyIAM

Wait, wait, wait, I never asked when she was coming out of the closet! lol omg, different user(s)! That’s what this is about? Well I didn’t say that, I would never ask anything like that, big misunderstanding…idk why whoever above me asked that but like I previously said I don’t care about anyone’s sexuality, that is their business not mine.

BeautyIAM
BeautyIAM
Reply to  Umm

My apologies. I’m not sure why I thought you left that comment when I read it.

Bibi
Bibi
Reply to  Umm

I didn’t know that being different was a bad thing. As adult we should be the one celebrating our differences. Remember, that is how some of the bullying start. Isn’t natural hair different for some people? Just think about it.

Umm
Umm
Reply to  Bibi

No one said being different was a bad thing, I just admitted that she was as you just agreed to in your statement. No one is bashing her and at the end of my comment I said she seemed like a cool kid. To answer your question, yes it is different but only because we made it that way, something that grows out of your head should not be different, however she did not pop out the womb the way she is, she has been influenced by society.

Cacey
Cacey
Reply to  Umm

i’m with you umm. i saw no harm in what you said. hopefully we can all remember that we each of us is entitled to our own opinions. she probly is lesbian and there is nothing wrong with someone acknowledging that. sheesh. wish people would quit tripping.

Inf
Inf
Reply to  Umm

Actually I don’t judge. It’s just not my thing. The point is that she’s a child. A child that lives, for arguement sake, like any adult. She works, she goes to school.…she’s literally buying her own clothes. As a parent you have to decide if you have done your job enough to let them make their own decisions… Will and Jada must feel like they have. You never walked through a club holding your homegirls hand so that you don’t get seperated??? And further more, she may read these blogs. Why would anyone set out to hurt a child’s feelings,… Read more »

looptiloo
looptiloo
Reply to  Umm

I actually never judge when I see young ppl attempting to form their own identities, as opposed to going along w/ the norm. There are adults who can’t even muster up the courage to change their hair stlye after 20 yrs (not even necessarily going natural, just a freaking haircut is hard for some ppl), so I’m glad when I see that a child or teenager has managed to throw all of their f*cks away and do what they like, regardless of anyone’s opinions. Their style may change as the get older and being to form a more solid identity,… Read more »

Yah Rly
Yah Rly
Reply to  Umm

I STILL hold my female friend’s hands when we go out and I’m not gay. Your opions dont equal fact so please stfu.

Yah Rly
Yah Rly
Reply to  Yah Rly

Opinions*

-_-
-_-

the only one i liked was willow’s. everyone elses hair looked a little crispy and overworked to me

HoneyMiel
HoneyMiel

Willow know she look like her daddy tho!!!

Trini
Trini

Love the classy mature looks. After I’m done with my dc I just might roller set, thanks to Marsha. Amber’s look provided some inspiration to accessorize a recently purchased jumpsuit.

Cassanrdra
Cassanrdra

Willow does look a mess. Sad, but true.

LeonieUK
LeonieUK

Marsha and Elle were my favorites, from head to toe 10/10.