The 4 Cornerstones of Natural Hair Care

Avatar • Jul 17, 2012

By Geniece (pictured above) of Beautifully Made

Picture this scenario: You’re walking down the aisle of a department store.  Quietly minding your own business when someone interrupts your shopping experience with the following question: “Excuse me. I just want to tell you I love your hair. Would you mind telling me how you care for your hair?” You feel flattered, smile and if not in a rush volunteer to share. You then realize that the dozens of things you’ve tried during your time as a natural all flood your mind making your advice confusing and not as helpful as you hoped. After five minutes of giving it your best shot you tell your new acquaintance about a few blogs and youtubers you follow. As she walks away you remember you didn’t mention your favorite leave in and, much like when you realize you’ve given someone the wrong driving directions, hope she won’t get hopelessly lost.

Being in the position to give hair advice is pretty cool. Most women I know view their hair as a pretty important part of their physical appearance and only ask advice from those who they feel have effectively mastered the craft of hair care. To provide succinct, helpful advice makes sharing your hair regimen easier and I’m here to give you a little advice to that end.

Okay, so let’s rewind. You’re put on the spot about your hair care practices. What do you say? No worries. Just remember: C.P.R.S.

1. C: Clean

Share how you clean your hair. If you section, shampoo and condition then share this. If you pre-poo, detangle, shampoo and condition then share this. This is when you discuss in brief how you wash your hair.

2. P: Products

Share your 2 or 3 favorite products. I don’t think the specific products are super important but trust you will always be asked about the products. Most people I know will begin asking about the products I use before anything else. Of course you can list a dozen but in reality most people will only remember a few. I like to share my favorite shampoo, conditioner and leave in. Everything else is great but I know that for me those products are key to my hair care. In discussing products feel free to mention one or two “essential” hair tools. The wide tooth comb is one tool I try to remember to share.

3. R: Routine

This is your routine. Now this can get pretty long but actually you only need to explain what you do with your hair in between washes. If you twist your hair and leave it alone, then that’s it. If you moisturize every two days, provide this information.

4. S: Styling

I will sometimes discuss styling but because there are a variety of styles, I usually don’t go into detail on this point. I may mention that in general I wear updos or twists to protect my ends.

There you have it. This is my handy mnemonic device to help someone who is beginning  of their hair journey develop their hair regimen.

How do you give advice about your hair? What are your cornerstones?

Amayou

Hmm this is a good article. I usually start with what I feel is the most important bit of information. “what works for me may not work for you, so get to know your own curls God made them especially for you” and then the rambling begins about Kimmaytube, Leave-ins, Blackgirlinghair.com etc.
Thanks again for the tips CPRS, easy to remember.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/bandw.jpg[/img]

Kelly
Kelly

My quick advice is natural hair is clean, detangled, and moisturized. How people arrive at that state is then up to them, realizing we all have to go through trial and error and not all products and regimens work for everybody.

Bernadette

I speak mostly to technique, time, and patience. And, I always try to get to know what ideas that person already has about natural hair and what she’s done so far to maintain her style.

I agree with Amayou, in that I will slip in a “what works for me may not work for you” statement.

Landry
Landry

Before I went natural, I literally prayed about how to manage my hair and I feel like the Holy Spirit gave me MST: Keep the hair: 1. Moisturized 2. Stretched 3. Trimmed Find out what contributes to proper moisture levels for your hair. This includes proper cleansing so that the hair can retain moisture and proper conditioning. It is also includes finding a daily system of moisture. Mine is spritzing my hair with water, then sealing with grapeseed oil to seal. Keeping my hair stretched leads to less single strand knots and tangles. Also when my hair is stretched it retains moisture and… Read more »

Denise
Denise
Reply to  Landry

I luv this. Who better to ask about how to take care of your hair than the Person who gave it to you:)

Landry
Landry
Reply to  Denise

Amen girl! He is able!

beenawink
beenawink

Great advice from a beautiful lady. Ultimately, I think we all discover that going natural is an individual journey, as unique as ourselves. I love Landry’s comment about praying for guidance.

Sumi
Reply to  beenawink

You know, more power to you for living up north-Honestly, I could not do it! Although, it looks SO btafeiuul in the winter months :)I really hope Spring and warm weather come fast for the BOTH of us!Kayla recently posted..

Gigi

This is an excellent post. I have found that to each his or her own in the natural hair community definitely applies and have been doing what works for my daughter and I. For my hair, I wash 2x weekly. I coat my hair strands with a 50/50 EVOO and Soy bean oil mix I shampoo with Mane and Tail Shampoo I condition with Cholestorol cream(my hair loves this) Then I seal moisture with grapeseed oil( If I straighten my hair with flat irons I use Safflower oil) I trim my ends as needed. I use a hot oil treatment only every… Read more »

Gigi

Sorry The 2nd pic is my stretching style if I plan to straighten in between washes…The 1st pic is my wash and go style..The post was different before I sent it

Jo
Jo

This happened to me yesterday,I was in TJ Maxx when I heard someone ask how I car for my hair.I was so happy as I had a braid out and it has taken me a LONG time to master it and find the right product for it.I shared all of the above funnily enough. 🙂

Jo
Jo
Reply to  Jo

*care

KaraJ
KaraJ

This happened to me over the weekend and I was surprised because it was not in an amazing style it was just in a basic puff, granted it was well moisturized but to me I was suprised it captured their attention. I just gave the person the basics (clean, moisturize and seal the ends) and the products I use.

Michelle @Radiant Brown Beauty
Reply to  KaraJ

That simplicity you provided though probably gave whoever it was motivation to care for her hair 🙂 The simpler you make caring for natural hair, the more convinced people become to take the leap.

me however, i make it all complicated LOL. I don’t mind though. It’s a personal choice to spend hours on my hair once per week… cleansing, treating, moisturizing, massaging, twisting and.….….primping LOL

LM
LM

Along with the above, I make sure I tell them that it takes dedication, time, and patience b/c you have to relearn how to take care of your hair ALL over again. I have told some friends who mentioned MAYBE going natural that if you don’t REALLY want it, then do not do it b/c you have to be dedicated and strong enough to handle what others may say or how they may treat you.

noim
noim

I get the most compliments and questions when I am rocking an old twist out (see picture). I usually start with the “what works for me.…” and then i rattle off my frequently used products and how long i wore my twists too get this look

noim
noim

no pic.….for some reason i cannot upload to this website