Stephanie in London // Multi-Texture Style Icon

Avatar • Jul 2, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
S:
Hi I’m Stephanie and I’m from London UK.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
S:
I’ve been natural since March 2009. Prior to that I had been natural till I was 17 years old. I had never stepped foot in a hair salon. My mum always did my hair so I was completely clueless about hair relaxers and all that stuff. My cousin was getting married in 2006 and I was bridesmaid. She wanted all of the bridesmaids to have the same hairstyle. So a ‘hair stylist’ chemically straightened my hair for the wedding to fit in. She said she did it because apparently I had ‘too much hair’. Initially I thought it was one of those ‘wash-out’ jobs. But alas, it was not the case lol.

I went natural to rectify what the ‘hair stylist’ did to my hair. I had always liked my hair, never had a problem with its maintenance, texture or health. I guess I just wanted to return to what I had. Not that having my hair straight for a while wasn’t fun, I just didn’t want it to be permanent.

How would you describe your texture?
S:
Hmm, probably 3c in the back and a toss-up between 4a and 4b in the middle and front. My hair doesn’t tangle much. It’s definitely not thick despite its appearance.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
S:
I don’t use combs or brushes. I find I get quite rough with my hair when I comb it and end up yanking at it, which isn’t much fun or good for my hair. I only use heat once a year when I straighten it (just to change it up for a bit). I detangle using my fingers. I’ve been finger detangling for about 8 months now, and it works well for me. I usually plait my hair every Sunday after it’s washed and fully dry. I then take the braids out Monday morning. I wear my hair up, away from my neckline, e.g. loose up-dos and a lot of loose/messy buns. Or if the weather is warm and not too windy, I’ll leave it down.

I don’t wear protective styles like braids and twists very often because I find that they make me look quite young. I know that it’s a silly thing to say, but when I see myself with twists it reminds me of a photo of myself when I was 5 years old that still hangs on the mantelpiece in my mum’s house lol. Plus I prefer my hair loose in up-dos and buns.

What does wash day look like for you?
S:
I don’t enjoy spending a long time in the bathroom washing my hair or styling it if I’m honest. So my regime is very very very simple. I co-wash only. I co-wash every Sunday with Tresemme Naturals Conditioner or L’oreal EverSleek Conditioner (I discovered this one recently and quite like it). I pretty much follow the ‘Curly Girl’ Method of washing my hair with conditioner, but I don’t use gel. I find most gels distort my texture too much, and make me look like I’ve got a jheri curl. I allow my hair to air dry then plait 6 big braids before I go to bed. Unravel the plaits in the morning and give them a spritz with aloe vera and water. I deep condition once a month. I use fresh ripe avocado mixed with some coconut milk as my deep conditioner.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style?
S:
A loose messy bun/pineapple bun right at the top of my head.

How do you combat shrinkage?
S:
By allowing my hair to fully air dry. It can be tempting to fiddle with my hair when it’s wet because it’s more malleable. But I try to resist the urge as much as I can. I also use braids to stretch out my hair.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require extra care and attention?
S:
My hair grows out like a mullet lol. That’s my only real woe with my hair.

I don’t do many protein treatments. In the past I used to, though personally I didn’t notice much difference in my hair health by doing them. I’m still learning about my hair everyday. So protein, and what protein treatments suit my hair are an area I’m looking to learn more about.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
S:
Flaxseed, and listening to my body. I used to suffer from a dry flaky scalp and used lots of useless oils and creams to try and cover it up. I avoided the foundation of the issue, which was my poor diet and not drinking enough water. Once I improved those two elements and incorporated flaxseed into my diet (I sprinkle 2 tablespoons over my cereal and also take the supplement), my scalp problems disappeared. It’s a great source of essential fatty acids and fiber. I urge others to look into it if they are suffering from a similar problem with their scalp.

I truly believe that by a certain age you should know how to heal yourself. By this I don’t mean you should self medicate, but that you should be in tune with your body and what it needs. Nourishment and care, inside and out has definitely supported and improved my overall health. And I guess because I have taken more of an interest in what my body needs and what I put in it (I’ve been vegetarian for over 7 years and a vegan for 4 years) my hair as a result has reaped the benefits.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
S:
Lack of moisture and using too much heat.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
S:
Bookswithfifi.tumblr.com and twitter.com/bookswithfifi.

About Meosha

Miram
Miram

wow. She is sooo beautiful

Saliha
Saliha

I read all features of it and i am really impressed of his working and results. I also would like to take it .so please if you want to check out more that kind of things …check out my site. http://www.chathambeauty.com

Cia
Cia

Great feature! I especially like Stephanie because we have very similar hair.

Beth
Beth

Beautiful girl, and I love her tumblr! And I thought I was the only one with mullet hair, lol 🙂

juicyfruit
juicyfruit

sweet girl!

Jo
Jo

Hi Stephanie! Fellow Londoner here ! Good interveiw and your hair looks great. 🙂

Keisha
Keisha

Beautiful woman and hair! I recently started taking flaxseed and I love it! It’s only been a week but I can feel it working in my body! I have dandruff. How long did it take to see it go away?

treece
treece

Great hair! My hair grows in a mullet pattern too, fast in the middle and back and really slowly in the front (business in the front, party in the back). I can’t wait til my hair gets longer

B
B

My hair twin, great interview and pics!
S/N…Im glad BGLH has stopped posting hair types in the titles…now it say “Multi texture”

Kech
Kech

Lovely hair! Great post. You remind me of Napputrallynigerian. She had a fab blog. Not sure what happened to it.

I may try flaxseed. I have heard great things about it.

AnonUK
AnonUK
Reply to  Kech

Er, from what I remember, they’re the same person ^_^

Annie L.
Annie L.

I truly believe that by a certain age you should know how to heal yourself.” — Spot on!

Great routine! Totally agreed about twists/coils for me as well unless in an updo 🙂 Sorry to hear about your horrific stylist experience but happy your hair recovered. I do like all of your fun styles and great advice — I sprinkle flax on food everyday and like it a lot — nice interview!

Coffey

Great hair feature. I tend to love the easy, low maintenance approaches some of the natural hair features take when describing their regimens. Stephanie’s hair looks great!

Nadia
Nadia

Really love your philosophy on a lot of things, great interview! I wish you much success in life.

ladyluo
ladyluo

Loved the interview. You really seem to have your mind right. I shall try that flaxseed. Gorgeous pics and hair

Tenisha

Finally someone with the a similar density and fullness/thickiness I can relate to. I have lots of fine strands, I also can suffer from very dry scalp when I’m not eating right.

Still not quiet ready to wear my hair out more often, it just takes too long to create that fullness I want at my current length.

but hopefully soon, like in a few of these pics.

deezii3
deezii3

I’m a big fan!! Used to follow your blog and fotki (now tumblr), love that you’re all about healthy living. And I love your hair!! And of course, nigeria in the building!! Lol

Jamelia

My hair grows like a mullet too! Drives me crazy. I used to cut the back of my hair so the front could keep up. Next thing I know the back is longer again!

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Jamelia

This sounds so much like me. I use to cut my hair the same way when i was much younger as i hated the back hanging longer than the rest of my hair. Hi Stephanie, a big hello from another londoner. I too had to kick some bad eating habits after getting eczema (never had it before then) on my scalp and neck area. Chocolate was my vice, still is to a certain extent. After 2 weeks of cutting it out my skin returned back to it’s normal condition. It’s the sugar which prevents oxygen from getting to the skin.… Read more »

Yvonne

Great pics Stephanie! You are lovely and your hair is gorgeous.

Stephanie

Many thanks to all your kind words everyone! Really appreciate the positive responses 🙂

@Kech yep I did have a blog called Nappturallynigerian. Unfortunately it got hacked into on a number of occassions and I had to remove it and it’s content 🙁 I did think about trying another avenue, but work commitments and law school kind of got in the way at the time. Thanks for your comment 🙂

@dezzli3 Thank you so much for your support from Nappturallynigerian to now! 🙂

Once again thanks everyone x

Ogo
Ogo

Okay, I almost by-passed this icon…so glad I didn’t!

I truly believe that by a certain age you should know how to heal yourself.”
Love this sentiment! I believe this too and I am still working on putting it action. Or rather, it is in action for me but has not reached maximum potential. You are inspiring!

(Also, love to see another Naija girl!)