More Hair, More Problems? The Pros and Cons of Having Long Hair

Avatar • Jul 9, 2012

By Geniece of Beautifully Made

I don’t know about you but as a new natural I was inspired by the luscious, thick fros of women who rocked their fierce tresses with grace and ease.  I knew that one day I wanted to be able to style my hair in a large round afro or wear twists and braids that swung effortlessly down my back. Growing long hair wasn’t just about imitating an ideal of femininity for me. I wanted to wear certain styles that in simple terms required that I grow my hair out. Now that I’ve essentially reached my goals I want to address some of the challenges associated with long, tightly coiled hair.

Okay, I know some of you are going to roll your eyes. I don’t blame you. I too could barely listened to the so called difficulties associated with having long hair a few years ago. I don’t want you to think of these as complaints. Rather, think of these issues as helpful pointers to keep in mind as your hair grows longer. You may think that the changes you encounter are specific to you as your hair grows longer. Hopefully, by sharing my experience, you will  be that much more prepared to embrace you long curls, kinks and coils.

The Time

The increase in the time it takes to deal with my hair has increased in ways I simply did not imagine.  Take blow drying for example. I don’t blow my hair out often but when I do, I practice caution and care. In May of 2010 I blew my hair out for the first time since beginning my healthy hair regimen.  I was done in one hour. Now, two years later, it takes me two hours to blow out my hair. While it takes me twice as long my hair isn’t necessarily twice as long. An additional five or six inches can add anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours to detangle, wash or style.

What you might find is that if you previously wore time consuming styles, you may no longer have the time or energy.  At one point I wore mini twists exclusively. Because it now takes anywhere from 6–8 hours to twist my hair it’s a style I only where one to three times a year.  I find that styles on loose hair work best because they generally take less time. With the added length, however, I find that updos take on a unique and elegant appearance that I enjoy wearing.

Styling Options

On the whole I have found that my styling options have increased.  I especially like being able to spend 5–10 minutes and whip up a style that looks like it took much longer.  With the increase in styling options, however, you will likely notice that styles you enjoyed at shorter or medium length hair no longer work after you’ve reached a certain length. The perfectly round fros and puffs that I loved early on as a natural simply don’t work now. The hair tends to flop on one side and stick up on another. Alas, my fro days seem to be over.

Long Hair Isn’t for Everyone

After reaching a certain length you may realize that you enjoy your hair at a shorter length for one reason or another.  There is nothing and I repeat NOTHING wrong with getting your hair shears and cutting off a few inches.  Now be prepared from the plea of family members and friends to “not cut off all that pretty hair”. Yes, some folk will guilt trip you into keeping your hair long.  However, at the end of the day you are the one managing your hair and if you feel more comfortable at a shorter length then by all mean do what makes you happy.  While your hair can be your “crown and glory” it’s nothing compared to feeling confident and comfortable with the style of your choice.

Ladies, what do you think? Do you want long hair? For women who have had both long and short hair, what are the pros and cons of each?

Rakael
Rakael

Yes I want long hair and I cant wait to have long hair problems

Tonya Juanise
Tonya Juanise
Reply to  Rakael

Ditto!

Denise
Denise
Reply to  Rakael

Coley Cole
Reply to  Denise

Rumby
Rumby
Reply to  Rakael

let this burden fall upon me as well O Lord.

EG
EG
Reply to  Rumby

lol…me too

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Rumby

HILARIOUS!! LMAO!

Rachelle
Rachelle
Reply to  Rumby

I would love to have this burden too, but my hair isn’t growing 🙁

rosewater
rosewater
Reply to  Rachelle

aka you hair is growing but you’re not retaining length~

Pat
Pat
Reply to  Rumby

Amen. Length and thickness!

Keisha
Keisha
Reply to  Rakael

I got 99 problems but long hair ain’t one, hit me 🙂

K Murray
K Murray
Reply to  Keisha

Tooooooo Funny!

Afrinaturality
Afrinaturality
Reply to  Rakael

LOL! My initial thought was to say ‘pass me the violin’. However, one day when my hair is long (because it will be, ladies!), maybe I’ll look back at my shorter hair days and envy a simpler hair regime. I’ll let you know when my tresses are caressing my back. 😉

Geniece
Reply to  Rakael

LOL 🙂

Natalie
Natalie
Reply to  Geniece

You are all too funny.

K Murray
K Murray
Reply to  Rakael

Be careful what you ask for!

Danielle
Danielle
Reply to  Rakael

Me too!

Bernadette

I just hit my 3 year nappiversary and I’m beginning to notice the same things now!! It takes forever to do certain things it only took me a little while to do. You can check out my 3 year pics here: http://www.trulybernadette.com/natural-hair/1095-days-of-natural-hair-growth/ I’ve learned to adapt thought — instead of washing my hair loose, I wash it in 4 fat twists. Instead of mini-twists, I wear my hair in larger twists. I even take my time to detangle — usually doing it over the course of 2–3 days (with a few hours each day). It does take time, but I’ve learned… Read more »

CuteKinks

And let us not forget that it becomes more expensive. With longer hair, you have to use more product. My hair isn’t even what I consider long, but I can go through half a bottle of conditioner in one wash!

Erica
Erica

I totally agree with the article. Time is no joke. And sometimes I dream about a short cut but I would miss my length.

HauteMoma
HauteMoma
Reply to  Erica

I am the same way. I love my long hair, but I would like to see the round afro one more time!

Fatty B.

I’m growing my hair out to waist length for 2 reasons: 1) I want to prove to myself that it’s possible & 2) I’m infatuated/obsessed with long naps (I feel the length complements my features)… Maybe that was 3 reasons…
Anyway, short hair has its advantages, but I BC’ed twice and I’m over those perks.

nubia
nubia

I love that I am retaining length.. I have finally reached 9″ and hoping for 12″ by the end of this year that will make me be way past BSL.. but the article is correct. It is time consuming and that alone is hard. I went from washing and DC 1x per week to bi weekly and have to get myself amp when that time comes. I have to admit biweekly gives me a saving with products because I am not using as much even though I am using more then when my hair was shorter 😉 Also I am… Read more »

dara
dara
Reply to  nubia

Me too! I’m at 9 inches too and hoping for the same length by December. We should be length retention buddies lol.

mangomadness
mangomadness

My tightly coiled, Afro-textured hair is the longest it’s ever been (about 12 inches) and I love it. I’ve enjoyed my hair at all lengths–from super short to its current length–but I especially enjoy the length I have now. I’m looking forward to my hair retaining more length as time passes. I think my hair is easier to care for at a longer length — shampooing/conditioning in sections translates to far fewer tangles and easier styling, my braid-outs require fewer braids and styling can be super simple (braid-out –> high bun). Caring for my hair does take time–two hours once… Read more »

Asea
Asea
Reply to  mangomadness

+1 🙂

I agree and identify with everything you said. My hair is tightly coiled as well and about 10 inches. My hair is super duper fine and low to medium density so the longer it gets, the easier it is to wash especially and to style, and also, more length = more volume and weight… I love my length and can’t wait for more more more!

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  mangomadness

+1 to mangomadness (what’s up lady =D) and Asea. I don’t know how many inches of hair I have exactly (maybe somewhere btw 12–14 inches) b/c I no longer actively do a ‘length check’, but I’m loving the retention, and as far as the time factor, I enjoy it-It’s become a pleasurable experience for me as well; Ladies, I type no lies, I light the incense, some candles, maybe put on some music or listen/watch some totally escapist T.V. show feeling good all over, lol! On the other hand, my husband probably feels as if I spend a century giving my hair… Read more »

jet black
jet black
Reply to  anastasia

*through it all

Robin
Robin

I recently BC’d and now sport the TWA. I was short and relaxed prior to the final cut so short is ok. However, I have been long (almost bra-strap length) relaxed as well and that Required time and effort as well if I wanted fairly healthy good-looking hair. I can’t wait and look forward to having my natural hair being as long as it can possibly get while also being healthy now that have the tools and knowledge to make it happen. Wish I knew then what I know now, isn’t that always the way it is ;-)). Good luck… Read more »

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Robin

Wish I knew then what I know now, isn’t that always the way it is ;-)).Good luck ladies!!!”

LOL, Robin, so true! Congrats and Good luck to you too!

Curly Queen

My goal is to reach bra strap length by the end of the year. I look forward to having the long hair problem and seeing how I handle it.

Cia
Cia

My hair is longish (about MBL) and I find that it is easier to do than when it was shorter. My big buns or updos are quick and simple. Now I don’t have to spend so much time trying to make them look fuller or thicker because I have the hair to support them. Washing and detangling has actually gotten easier because I know exactly what to do and what works. I straighten or blowout very rarely but that is the one process that will take much longer now that my hair is longer, rollersetting too.

Miss D
Miss D

I was just thinking about this very topic last weekend. When I first went natural, I did mostly wash and go’s or did a style that didn’t take long at all. Now that my hair is longer, I can do more protective styles…and doing braids and twists take a lot of time. Detangling is 45 mins. Blow drying is around an hour. I do miss how easy it was to maintain my shorter hair, but I love my big, puffy afro so I won’t be cutting it anytime soon. 🙂

DiJah
DiJah

I had long hair and I loved it because i’m used to having a head full of hair since I can remember. My favorite style is to wear 2 pigtails, even as an adult, and sometimes just one braid to the side and have it hanging over the shoulder, I just love it! Not to mention a huge bun on top it my head..yep, love it! But the downside has always been, my hair is thick and when I wear it out, it makes me HOT and I always hated my hair all over my back, which is why i’m… Read more »

NudeBonnie

I have had both. One minute I have long hair the next minute I get the itch to chop it all off. Now I am currently in the process of growing out my hair but this time without cutting it. I love short hair but that isn’t for me. I feel that long hair brings out my features more. Short Hair Pros Easy to straighten. You actually are more creative with shorter hair because of the styling limits. Short Hair Cons The moment you realize you miss your long hair hurts so bad. Styling options are limited. Long Hair Pros The fact that I can… Read more »

Geniece
Reply to  NudeBonnie

great points!!! i agree.

Lateefah
Lateefah

My hair is SO dense and SO tightly coiled, I’m not concerned about my afro ever flopping to one side. I just would like the ability to pull it back into a basic puff.

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Lateefah

I’m drooling..grass is always greener! “So dense and So tightly coiled” ooooowweeee, I wish that was my problem!! Sounds like you have a gorgeous head of hair!

elle

I first want to reach waist length with my locs then reach waist length with loose hair.

My locs are only shoulder length (past collar bone when wet or stretched) but shampooing takes forever. I know when i reach BSL im going to die. but Im bound and determined to prove to myself that I can have long healthy hair, both loced and loose.

(cuz let me tell you guys locs are no joke. I found loose hair a lot easier to maintain)

Bernadette
Reply to  elle

I bet your locs are beautiful! I had locs for about 3 years before I chopped them off. They were just past shoulder length I believe.

I’ve now reached 3 years with loose hair — and I feel that my locs were so much easier to take care of!! Ha. The other day I was so thinking I should go back to locing! But, I’m gonna hang in there!

Thanks for sharing.

Former Dread
Former Dread
Reply to  elle

I had locs for years and I have to question your assertion that locs are just as time consuming as loose, long natural hair. No way! Having been natural for most of my life and having also unleashed my former locs into 12 inches of fro, I certainly disagree. Once your locs are mature, it is pretty easy and breezy. And this is even more so if you latch or interlock for maintenance. I have to spend more time managing my relatively lengthy, somewhat thick loose hair over locs. Approximately half the length of locked hair is no longer attached… Read more »

elle
Reply to  Former Dread

I understand the whole hair no longer being attached thing with locs so I know most of it isnt actual hair length, but thats not really a big deal to me. Ive been natural for a long time (compared to my age)as well and I personally just find loose natural hair easier in terms of care. For me I just washed, conditioned, and finger detangled in the shower. My hair grows fine with very little manipulation, so I just rocked it as is, not much styling/protective styling. but i just had to be diligent in covering my hair at night and not… Read more »

Amayou

I’d trade my length for thickness, I’m about BSL now I think my goal for the end of 2012 is MBL. (Ignore the crazy look I have on my face lol
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/aprillengthcheck.png[/img]

LM
LM

Well it takes me 4–6 hours to twist my hair in medium sized twists and I only have 5–6″. I get frustrated because alot of the time my twist outs look crappy and there is nothing I can do about it (can’t bun and go). I, honestly, don’t like puffs(or I may just be sick of them). Protective styles take me forever to do because I have to coax my hair to actually “fit” into the style and, still, my protective styles only last 3 days(the shorter hairs start to pop out everywhere)..sigh. I long for hair that I can… Read more »

merry
merry
Reply to  LM

why does it take 4–6 hours to put twists in your hair for a twistout?

that’s maybe 12–14 twists — 6–7 on each side.

Landry
Landry
Reply to  LM

I have to agree with Merry. As a 9 month natural, I have almost 9 inches of 4a/b hair and it takes me a 30–40 minutes at the most to prep my hair for a twist out after washing and conditioning it.

I cannot imagine why it would take 4–6 hours. That is about the time it takes to install mini-twists. Your twist outs may look “crappy” as you say because you are doing the twists too small. Twisting larger will save you time as well.

Leslie
Leslie

My daughter has hair half way down her back. I have an ‘in between stage’ TWA. For my daughter I feel her hair is long enough for me to maintain — it certainly takes some skill to deep condition, wash and detangle and style hair that long on a 6 year old with no tears involved — or an indignant ‘you hurt my hair!’. As for me i cannot wait for long hair problems, and long hair styles. Though shoulder length is quite long enough for me.

Kelly
Kelly

I dont do a lot of intricate styles or twists or braids, my styling is pretty simple (wash-n-gos; headband/scarves; pineapple/curly puff) so regarding long hair (mid-back length/bangs below the chin) being more time consuming, eh, it’s negligible for me (but yes, if you’re trying to blow out). You do use more product, yes. I cut my hair a couple months ago so that it was out of my face and off my neck; long hair can feel a bit heavy to me sometimes. And it’s growing out again… which at this length (6–10in) offers the best curly “halo”/lion mane, lol

Amor
Amor

I’ve had short hair problems, now I’m ready for the long hair problems lol

Guest
Guest

I totally understand this conundrum. I spent 9 hours 2 days ago working on minitwists (my stretched length is MBL). I LOVE the results and have received many compliments thus far, but the time and energy that goes into them are just too much. And on top of that, my completed twist shrink to between shoulder length and APL. I have been natural for 15 years, but for the last 2 years, I have been able to maintain length well.

nelle
nelle

I loved this article. May I add some things? 1. HEAT! Lord the summer is HOT. I was so close to being completely bald two days ago when NYC reached near 100, I couldn’t find my scissors and it was too hot to get up and look for it. 2. Constant constant accusations that my hair isn’t mine. It’s fine at first, but then I got subconscious and found myself wondering if “my hair looks like a weave” today. After a while, I learned to ignore it, but it is hurtful. 3. Chronic back pain/shoulder pain/hand cramps. Because of the time… Read more »

nelle
nelle
Reply to  nelle

lol- I got self-conscious not subconscious!

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  nelle

I can relate to #2.

People have asked me if my hair was a wig/weave before on at least 3 separate occasions. Someone assumed it was a wig/weave on one occasion. Really, though? My hair is mine…and not because I purchased it. *flips Afro*

My mother said that my hair was getting “too long”/“too big” on two separate occasions. I told her it’s only gonna get longer and bigger. 😀

nelle
nelle
Reply to  mangomadness

I was ignorant. I didn’t know they made weaves that looked like natural hair until this year. I only knew about straight weaves, and afro wigs. Ignorant i know.

hairscapades
Reply to  nelle

Nelle, Why are you bending over to wash your hair? Are you washing it in the sink or on your knees at the tub? I recently got a layered cut, but prior to that, my hair length ranged from 19″-22″ and my longest layer is still waist length. I wash in the shower. It results in far less tangles and the shower stream drives the hair/cuticle and tangles down to ease detangling. Also, like many others, including the author stated, I keep my styling to simple 5–10 minute updos. So just wondering if changing some of your techinques might help… Read more »

B
B

I’m about 3inches from mbl and the only con for me having long hair is when I want to flat iron it. It can literally take up a whole day.

Bri
Bri

I go through so much product…the cost is real serious. I still want my hair to be as long and as thick as hers. Hopefully by then I’ll be rich 🙂

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

SHE NEEDS TO FOLLOW NAPTURAL85 ON YOUTUBE. LONG HAIR AIN’T THAT HARD TO MANAGE

Paige C.
Paige C.

I just posted my fb status about this last night while frustrated and fighting to twist my hair. My hair was mid back length, but I got too reliant on my flat irons and lost 3 inches to breakage/feathering. I have a head full of hair and it can be a pain! To save my hair i’ve decided to trim and protective style my hair, but damn…5 hours is a long time to dedicate. Sites and blogs like this keep me motivate and deter me from reaching for the creamy crack. Three years in, I’m gonna keep holding it down. This… Read more »

zyaran
zyaran
Reply to  Paige C.

Your hair is gorgeous, you remind me of my team leader when I used to work for American Express.

bethy
bethy

I know all about that guilt trip. I told my friends and fam that I was preparing to big chop after a 2 year transition and they all were trying to convince me not to cut off the relaxed ends. lol At the end of the day it is my hair on my head so those ends had to go because I had reached my transition goal. Now, I am planning to let my hair reach WL in the next few years. So I’ll be having even more long hair problems.

Michelle @Radiant Brown Beauty

I’ve had both and I’m about to get mine cut this weekend because I want a nice shape when my hair is out.
However, I don’t mind the time it takes to do hair. I only have to wash it once a week and that’s a day that’s just for me. I’m treating myself. On the other days it’s easy to put long hair up in a bun and just go.

Trinichick
Trinichick

Tell me about it!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/648.jpeg[/img]

Former Dread
Former Dread
Reply to  Trinichick

Pretty! Is that a roller set?

Trinichick
Trinichick
Reply to  Former Dread

Bantu knots. Thanks!

nelle
nelle
Reply to  Trinichick

love it!

zyaran
zyaran
Reply to  nelle

Your hair is gorgeous, and look at all the birds around you. It’s like their whispering psst look at her hair, it’s so long and pretty. Or could be they were being feed who knows…lol//

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  zyaran

LOL!! +1: You and your hair are beautiful!

Landry
Landry
Reply to  Trinichick

Your hair is beautiful and so are you! I’m so inspired! :0)

Trini
Trini
Reply to  Landry

Gorgeous!

Ivy
Ivy
Reply to  Trinichick

BEAUTIFUL! This is very inspiring

Rou
Rou

I have experienced both extremely long and extremely short hair. Both definitely has its pros and cons. I like long hair because it allows one more styling options, which is a plus for me. I like short hair because it is easy to maintain and does not require too much of my time. I look better with lots of hair on my head (which is very large). I haven’t experienced long natural hair, since I was a child. I remember it was wild and free, like Diana Ross. I want my hair back! After I re-experience that, I may grow… Read more »

Maria
Maria

I can relate to what she’s saying. My hair is past my waist, thick, and on the drier side. It soaks up conditioners like you wouldn’t believe. I buy gallons of conditioners whole to save money and time. Otherwise I’m at CVS every few days buying Suave Naturals. It doesn’t take long to detangle but I don’t do any styles that require a bunch of steps. Rollersetting hurts my arms because I’m reaching high up on the air. It takes me 120 minutes to dry my hair under the Pibbs. I want to maybe cut my hair back to MBL… Read more »

Mina
Mina

I can’t wait for long hair problems but with my hair an inch and a half from MBL I’m not feeling them yet. Maybe because I keep my regimen so simple. Also with my shrinkage I can still do the fluffy fro and puff. I want to grow out my hair to Classic length which will probably be WL when it’s shrunken so bring on the long hair problems. For me the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Stevie

My hair isn’t exactly long, just thick and it can take me just as long. Although I must admit to profuse breaks while styling my hair… arms get tired.

tgirl
tgirl

After 20 years of being a long hair natural, I just recently cut my mid back hair to a neck length bob! I love it! It’s summer and wash and gos are back for me. I loved having the long hair and I’ll be letting this bob grow out since I stay out of the salons for various reasons, the time I get back from my extra long wash days and detangling is PRICELESS! I would wash, condition and style over a course of a weekend! I want to be out mingling not detangling during this amazing summer we’re having.… Read more »

Creatividual

I’m enjoying having longer natural hair. My TWA was fun and easy breezy but I got bored after a while because I couldn’t style my hair how I like. I have been natural for 3 1/2 years now. Like others, I have a adapted to my detangling sessions being a smidge longer but I keep my regimen so simple so it’s really not much of a hassle for me. I do love that I can slap in an up-do in like 5 minutes and it looks great though or I can always resort to a quick bun. I can afford… Read more »

FrizzyCurledCutie
FrizzyCurledCutie

Yeah.… I know what you speak of lol. At 1 year and 6 months natural my hair has just passed shoulder length. Twist outs used to look soooo cute and classy on me a year ago, now they just.…..dont lol. M hair is long enough to fall down on its own, but twist outs look like a bad perm lol. Braid outs mimick the natural behaviour much better. I am happy to say that Ive found a new detangling/moisturizing routine that i can do every day with very little shrinkage. They key is to use a lil bit of water… Read more »

Trini
Trini

I’m alright maintaining collar-bone length. As long as I can get a decent French braid, I’m more than satisfied.

Ivy
Ivy

I’m about APL right now.. But it doesn’t show at all with all the shrinkage I get. Can’t wait to have these problems within the next 6 months or so.. 😀

Jo
Jo
Reply to  Ivy

I feel ya,shrinkage really is something else! LOL

I’m at the same length i am thinking of buying a length T‑Shirt so i know how long i have to go until my next goals.

MissK
MissK

I actually felt the same once my hair hit shoulder length and it took me a few months to figure out a new routine that works for me. frankly since it was taking me so much time to do my hair, i rarely wanted to do it and that just caused a mess. after being at peace with the idea of perhaps relaxing again b/c i love long hair, but this simply wasn’t working for me, i found a new routine that has cut down the time spent on my hair drastically. i love to wear my hair out. the… Read more »

J
J

I desire long hair as i have had short hair.

I had a pixie cut,way back in 2004!

My goal is BSB/MBL,my hair is currently bordering APL.

I understand long hair is more work but it will be worth it.

Sophie
Sophie

I actually think I’m going to shoot for mid-length hair (I want my twists to be about shoulder length when they’re dry) because my hair is very fine and retaining length has been tough! I’m also around 7 inches, and I’m already starting to feel a bit challenged by keeping it in order while I wash it because it is also dense even though the hairs are fine. I won’t ever let doing my hair take over my time, so if it gets unwieldy that will be that!

Amber

LMAO hilarious comments. My hair is long but in the summer it shrinks up to my chin and you know what I let it rock because it is SO DAMN HOT that I actually embrace that plus it takes forever to blow dry it. The last time I blow dried it was probably a few weeks ago and it took me over an hour after that I said HELLS NO not doing that again for a while. I get like 80% shrinkage can you imagine? sheesh! I can’t lie though, I enjoy my long kinks I can throw it in… Read more »

Amber

oh and here is a photo of it straightened back in feb (as I said it shrinks to my chin) crayyy! So I have no idea how long it really is right now.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/403815_10150555416788126_625431196_n.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/303394_10150788918288126_430787340_n.jpg[/img]

ButterFlySoulFire
ButterFlySoulFire

I like short (less than 4 inches) and long hair (more than 12 inches). I hate everything in the middle. Short hair is the easiest to detangle and styling doesn’t take too long because there’s less hair to do. I love long hair because it’s easy to do lazy styles like a single braid, a bun or two-braids. I hate that mid to long hair takes so long to detangle and requires extra special attention to things like SSK’s, protein/moisture balance, spritzing and sealing almost daily. Short hair can take a beating but if you don’t care for your hair… Read more »

Teli

I second the body aches and pains! I’m 22 and I sometimes feel like I’m 82 from craning my neck to wash, style, detangle, see and otherwise manage my hair. I’m mid transition (I’m a long hauler) and I’ve got a little over 5 inches of new growth and 7 or 8 inches of relaxed ends left, and so it’s been a definite struggle in some respects. I’ve always had long hair, but recently the allure of short hair started to get a bit stronger. It’s SUPER hot this summer, my hair tangles, and sometimes I run out of ideas… Read more »

Pat
Pat

Shorter hair is for me, I don’t ever plan to spend hours doing hair. I don’t plan to grow it out either just not my thing.

beenawink
beenawink

I have really enjoyed this article and the comments. Lord, I want long hair, but do I really want long hair? LOL

nikki
nikki

i think that face shape should be considered when someone decides to grow their hair long. i have a round face, so personally i think that longer hair looks better on me.

someone with more facial definiton (like a halle berry) can wear a wider variety of hair lengths.

Nicole
Nicole

i totally agree, there are “more hair more problems” that can be very limiting… i guess a lot of it depends on your hair type and whether you enjoy spending time on hair. personally, i like having long hair because, for me, it’s so low-maintenance. i have super thick but super fine hair that dries into a mostly straight high waist length and when stretched is fully waist length. i rinse my hair at least every other day to keep it detangled and seal it with shea butter. because my hair is really thin, the low-maintenance aspects of the “wash… Read more »

Kristi
Kristi

Let me tell you, it’s rare to see a woman who is 6′1″, but also with long hair! I love my long hair, it’s my signature, but damn if it isn’t a b**ch to take care of! But for those growing their hair long long long, I have a few tips. I personally don’t wash my hair everyday. I actually wash every four days, sometimes five in a ponytail. Also, I shampoo twice and use a deep conditioner every other wash. And lastly, it may seem counterproductive, but get your ends trimmed at least every two months! It helps the… Read more »

Kristi
Kristi

Aahhhh sorry wrong article lol. I obviously don’t have the same type of hair.