Maiya // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jul 20, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

tumblr_lq903zU5fK1qcxhkao1_500

Introduce yourself!
M:
Hello, all. My name is Maiya. I am a 25-year-old Maryland resident and native. I am a hair apprentice with the goal of becoming a hair care professional who is able to care for all hair types with a focus on naturally curly hair. I have also set goals to use my background in Biology and Chemistry (what I went to college for) to create natural hair care products and to own my own natural hair salons.

How long have you been natural?
M:
I have been natural for 4 years.

How and why did you transition into natural hair?
M:
I transitioned for about 5 months with braids and weaves. This was my 3rd and final time going natural and this time it just clicked. I went natural because I realized I didn’t need a relaxer. I’d see pictures of myself as a young girl with huge, long, thick, beautiful curls and knew that is how I was meant to be.

What are your must-have products for shampooing, conditioning and styling your hair?
M:
I no longer use shampoo. I only cowash and my hair has benefited greatly. I use Aussie Moist and Tresemme Naturals Conditioner to cowash and condition. I like to mix extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and castor oil for hot oil treatments and daily moisturizing.

I was a faithful user of the Shea Moisture line for styling, but my coworker introduced me to Hairvèda and Qhemet Biologics products and I’ve fallen in love! Particularly with the Hairvèda Vatika Frosting and Qhemet Biologics Aethiopika Hydrate and Twist Butter.

Tell us about your hair color?
M:
My hair is currently dark brown with dark and light copper, and blonde highlights. It was done professionally by my coworker. Last summer and fall, I dyed my hair red myself with box color and I want to advise people against self-dying. It is very difficult to correct box dye so please, if money is what you are concerned about, save if you want to get color. It’s best to start off getting professional color than having to gradually correct box color which means more visits, which = more money! My hair texture has not changed. My curls are still in tact. But my hair is dryer and that is normal for hair that has been lightened. But with upping deep conditioning and daily moisturizing, it can be soothed.

What is your signature hairstyle?
M:
My signature hairstyle is a blown out twist out or blown out braid out. No, I’m not afraid of heat damage because I do many things to ensure the health of my hair. 1. I deep condition and give myself a hot oil treatment EVERY time I wash my hair. 2. I make sure to do protein treatments about once every 2 months. 3. I apply a heat protectant to my hair every time I blow it out. 4. I put my blow dryer on low heat. 5. I only blow my hair out like once a month.

Did going natural affect your style choices at all?
M:
Going natural did not affect my style choices. I’ve always been pretty carefree and “if I like it, I wear it!” with my style. Since going natural, my style has been enhanced, but nothing negative or drastic.

How would you describe your personal style?
M:
People tend to call me vintage and I’m always asked if I’m from New York, which is a compliment to me because I LOVE NY and want to live there. But as stated in my previous answer, I wear what I want! I tend to frequent thrift stores and consignment shops and I often tweak the things I purchase to fit my figure. I’m all about enhancing what you naturally have and flattering your body type.

Wear what makes you feel good. Wear what makes you confident. But it is important to flatter your figure as opposed to adhering to the current trends. Don’t be afraid to alter something to fit your curves. It makes all the difference.

What are the three favorite things in your closet?
M:
Oh, goodness! Just 3? Well, I’ll narrow it down to 3 categories mostly purchased at thrift stores. I’m a tall girl — 5’10. So finding long pants is hard. Category 1 would be my premium denim collection because I can often find them in long lengths and they are of good quality. Seven Jeans, Joe’s, Citizen, etc. And remember I said that I frequent consignment shops so I have never paid more than $40 for an authentic pair of jeans. Category 2 would be my collection of handbags. I have found so many cute purses at thrift stores! And a nice bag can tie any outfit together. Lastly, category 3 would be my collection of jewelry. I LOVE earrings! The bigger the better! Especially with natural hair. It gives a nice regal feel. Very Queen Sheba, Queen Nefertiti-esque. Because we are all queens!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
M:
YouTube — LoveMaiCurls
Tumblr — iLoveMaiCurls
Instagram — MaiChickBad

About Meosha

LaToya
LaToya

i absolutely love her! i’m a instagram follower of hers!

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Gorgeous hair and I love her highlights.

Go Maryland!

Vonnie
Vonnie

+10! I’m a DC native, but currently reside in Maryland as well 🙂

and ditto on her hair.

Talia
Talia

Super cute! I love the twist out styles. And I love that color too! Work it, girl! 🙂

Mahalia

WOW she is gorgeous and I love her hair and the colour.

Love JAH
Love JAH

Very pretty!

Liz
Liz

I do have a question about how you cleanse your scalp. I currently use baby shampoo to cleanse, but want to try co-washing only. I also do a hot oil treatment every week and a deep conditioning treatment. Usually by the end of the week, I scalp feels a bit itchy and I take that to mean I need to wash it, hence the baby shampoo on wash day. Do you ever have any scalp issues? Lately, I’ve been using melted shea butter to do my “oil treatments” and would worry about the conditioner not doing a good enough job… Read more »

Tonja
Tonja
Reply to  Liz

U should try olive oil ma ssage this on your scalp for 30 mins coconut oil is rto and vitamin, e always

Reply to  Liz

To aleviate an itchy scalp, I apply 100% natural tea tree oil to a q‑tip and dab my scalp with it. I repeat about 10 times in different areas of my head and then I give myself a good scalp massage to evenly distribut the oil. Tea tree oil is a natural anti fungal so it attacks all that yuckiness that may be on ur scalp. I swear my scalp feels so much better afterwards. Give it a try!

Alicia
Alicia

I follow her — and absolutely love her hair and style. Beautiful girl — she is my hair idol 🙂

Laydee Pipkin

i love your hair. i have been growing my hair for a year and 6 monnths but i cant get it like that.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/myhair‑1.JPG[/img]

tinabobina
tinabobina
Reply to  Laydee Pipkin

Your hair is also very nice!

Reply to  Laydee Pipkin

Ur hair is gorgeous!!!

Yvonne

Great interview and super cute pics. Your hair is fabulous!!!

zarwaylay
zarwaylay

Maiya!!! Love her!

keisha
keisha

you are gorgeous! what salon do you work at? Who should I see? I live in Silver Spring.

Reply to  keisha

Hey! I work at PR @ Partners Salons & Spas in Mazza Gallerie but my company is a white company and none of the stylists do natural hair. However, I am trying to get more experience even of it means experimenting on my own. If ur willing, email me at ilovemaicurls at gmail dot com.

luvmylocs
luvmylocs

pretty girl, nice pics too. wish her well in her endeavors!

Home daycare

So many beautiful sistahs on this site! I love all her pics and hair.

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  Home daycare

2nd! The crown braids she wears with the fuchsia skirt and her big, curly halos are so elegant. I really like her edgy, Boheme fashion aesthetic as well.

DiJah
DiJah

Girl you gotta show me how to get that poof. My hair never stays puffy, it always falls flat : /

Saw her hair story on CN a good while back, loved the red (ruby), and i’m also digging the highlights.

All the best with everything! 🙂

Reply to  DiJah

Lol, I have a YouTube tutorial on my puff! My channel is LoveMaiCurls. Hopefully that will help.

Styled Naturally

I love ALL her hairstyles! I follow her on Instagram as well…she’s a true inspiration.

yaz
yaz

i love your hair!!! you really are a hair-idol–when you start doing hair let me know!!! i really love how you have been able to make it work for you. How do you co-wash?? i often find my hair looks dry at times. what do you do everyday to prevent that?
i live in baltimore and would love to know the name of your salon

Reply to  yaz

Hey! I work at PR @ Partners Salons & Spas in Mazza Gallerie in DC but my company is a white company and none of the stylists do natural hair. However, I am trying to get more experience even of it means experimenting on my own. If ur willing, email me at ilovemaicurls at gmail dot com. And I just cowash like how I would shampoo. But I ALWAYS leave conditioner in and add oil to my hair, put on a shower cap and sit under the dryer for a hour after cowashing.

DejaLynn
DejaLynn

Ur style is so vintage! I love thrift stores. Especially when Im low in cash..This Picture I have posted below is from last year summer. First picture is after I figured out how to manage it being natural, The second Pic is before I new how to manage it it. But don’t get me wrong..I love straight hair, But i do not use perms I stopped in 2008.So that’s about 6 years. Heat is not a problem. As you said you use protections, I also do, I love new products to use. Im into Olive Oil products.. My Fav!!! Reps to you,… Read more »

DejaLynn
DejaLynn

Other way around with the pics!! I got confused!!!

Reply to  DejaLynn

Haha! Ur gorgeous and so is ur hair! I live in Cheverly.

DejaLynn
DejaLynn
Reply to  Maiya

OHHH Okay..never herd of that!! But thanks U as well!!!! R Beautiful:)
I so added u to my instagram!!! Cute Pics!!!

D
D

She’s so beautiful!!

TialaShay
TialaShay

She looks like Melanie Fiona! Very stylish…

Anon
Anon

Nice!

lashala
lashala

Can you help me with styling my hair and products. Do you do hair. Please email me at glamedprincess@yahoo.com.