Kayla // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jul 31, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
K:
My name is Kayla and I’m from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Or as I like to say, SIXburgh.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
K:
I recently learned what “natural” truly means. Before I sheared my relaxed ends, I thought natural simply meant “no weave”. Oh, was I terribly mistaken. I don’t know whose idea it was, but when I was 10 years old one of my family members decided for me that I needed a relaxer. It wasn’t until I was 13 or 14 when I started wondering “Wait, why do I need relaxers? What’s wrong with my hair the way it is?” As an adult, I decided to make the change, and I wish I had gone natural sooner.

I got my last relaxer in June 2010. I transitioned for a while before I did my big chop. I decided I could no longer wait for my relaxer to completely grow out. Why? You ask. Because I was growing impatient. I sheared my relaxed ends on May 22, 2011.

How would you describe your texture?
K:
My hair is multi-textured, but is predominantly 3c. My hair is dense and fine, but I always strive to create more voluminous curls! Bigger is better when it comes to natural hair.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
K:
I typically wear my hair in a twist out more often than any other natural styles I might experiment with. After a co-wash, I follow the L.O.C. (Liquid-Oil-Cream) method to moisturize before starting my twist out. I use regular Olive Oil and Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Repair Cream essentially every day due to my constant battle with dryness.

What does wash day look like for you?
K:
Wash day is not every day. I may wet and spray my hair daily, but I don’t wash it more than twice a month. I co-wash with a conditioner, usually whatever is on sale like V05. I’m not too picky when it comes to conditioner. Very seldom do I use shampoo after learning about the damaging effects of sulfates. I use Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo maybe once a month. It lasts a long time for me.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
K:
When time is a constraint or I’m already running late I like to leave my hair out in an afro and pull up a small section of hair on the side and pin it up. It’s quick, simple, and cute. I don’t wear protective styles too often because I simply don’t know how to do hair that well…I’m still learning and YouTube is helping tremendously!

How do you combat shrinkage?
K:
Shrinkage is a natural hair problem that comes with the territory. To stretch my hair to its limits I follow these steps:
1. Co-wash.
2. Detangle and apply olive oil and Cantu Shea Butter.
3. Blow out my hair on medium heat.
4. Twist my hair into medium/small twists.
5. Pull each twist to the opposite side and pin it down with bobby pins.
6. Toss on my satin cap.

Lastly, I get ready to untwist the next day and reveal super stretched and defined curls.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
K:
Dryness ails my curly mane. Luckily, it’s nothing a little olive oil and Cantu Shea Butter can’t remedy. The L.O.C. method is my trusted way of battling dried out curls.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
K:
I don’t proclaim to be a Natural Hair Guru, but I have learned some important tips about natural hair care.
To-Do’s for 3c hair:
1. Always use a wide tooth comb to detangle.
2. Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize.
3. Sleep with satin.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
K:
NOT To-Do’s for 3c hair:
1. DO NOT blow dry too often.
2. DO NOT pull too hard on your hair when wet.
3. DO NOT become a product junkie. Find your core, trusted products and stick with them! You’ll save time and money!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
K:
If you want to hear or see more of me, follow me on Tumblr at www.curleychaos.tumblr.com and on Instagram: CurleyChaos.

About Meosha

Love JAH
Love JAH

Beautiful<3

Beth
Beth

Well if she ain’t the purrtiest thang…
Lovely hair and fab styling

hassan
hassan
Reply to  Beth

She reminds me of Lauryn Hill.

hairscapades
Reply to  hassan

EXACTLY!! So beautiful and gorgeous hair!!

lulu
lulu

Beautiful head of hair and she’s so beautiful too. Love the updo with the flower accesories!

lulu
lulu

also…I don’t think shrinkage should be thought of as a “problem” like it’s something wrong or messed up our hair does, it’s just a natural feature of our hair! I can’t lie though, the wording of that question (how do you combat shrinkage?) almost makes shrinkage to be something negative or even wrong with our hair…anyway just my opinion!

JVD
JVD
Reply to  lulu

i agree with you!

Marcia
Marcia
Reply to  lulu

In my book shrinkage is a problem because it causes major tangling, knots and nightmare detangling sessions and hair loss. Stretching helps prevent all of this.

Dana
Dana
Reply to  Marcia

Marcia, you are right. shrinkage can be a nuisance. in a addition to the things you raised, shrinkage makes your hair look much shorter than it actually is. Although some may like and embrace short hair, long hair is a sign of beauty. That affects how we are perceived by the opposite sex, colleagues, and ultimately ourselves.

Nubiahbella
Nubiahbella
Reply to  Dana

Long hair is a sign of beauty. That affects how we are perceived by the opposite sex, colleagues, and ultimately ourselves” hmmm ok!!!

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  Nubiahbella

Not PC to say but yes, most women do look better w/ a long mane regardless of texture.

Viv
Viv
Reply to  Dana

Long hair is a sign of beauty”: that’s an unfortunate and dangerous mindset. SMH.

DiJah
DiJah
Reply to  Dana

Long hair is a sign of beauty” <- *Inserts the saying — Beauty is in the eye of the beholder*

And i’m with Lulu, whenever I see that shrinkage question on here, i’m wondering why they are making it seem as if it’s a problem? I guess it is to some, for me it’s not, which also reminds me, as of late a lot of the hair icons are fanning away from the shrinkage “problem” so kudos to them!

Dana
Dana
Reply to  DiJah

If long hair isnt a sign of beauty, why is this blog ‘black girl with LONG hair’ so popular? why do you/we drool over these icons and ppl say all the time ‘i cant wait for my hair to be that long’? why do we put so much effort into stretching (i.e. elongating our strands)? Dont tell me that you were raised in a society where long hair is put on a pedestal and you’re so enlightened that you are above the hype.

Ashes
Reply to  Dana

i thought that it was popular because of the well written articles and tips for healthy hair, long or not. I drool over a nice hairstyle whether it’s long or short or natural or straightened, but I have never said that i couldn’t wait for my hair to be that long. I do not put much effort into stretching or elongating my strands. I was raised in a society where long hair is put on a pedestal, but i do not put it on a pedestal. I do not claim to be so enlightened, but i also do not assume… Read more »

EG
EG
Reply to  Dana

and you’re so enlightened that you are above the hype.….….i’m sorry, is it wrong that I laughed? hope not.

DiJah
DiJah
Reply to  Dana

I hope you come back to see my reply. I was raised in a household where long hair is not a big deal to the women and men in my family. My grandmother showed me ways to take care of my hair, not ways for it to grow, if it grows, great! if it does not then we try to figure out if it’s a health condition or not. I could care less about long hair on here, I compliment the styles, not the length! I personally prefer healthy hair over length mama. And as for my reasons for coming to… Read more »

Jamzie
Jamzie
Reply to  lulu

well said! i agree 1000%!! shrinkage is what makes our hair unique and versatile!

aNON
aNON
Reply to  Jamzie

Shrinkage is misunderstood and having been relaxed since i was a child i didn’t have NO experience until i chopped off my relaxed ends 8 months ago after a long transtion. Shrinkage means your hair is in good shape and gives you the option to have short hair when you feel like it! 🙂 We should have MORE positive articles about shrinkage as it is part&parcel of being natural. I choose to stretch my hair via braid outs to lessen the tangling but i do rock a wash n FRO 1–2x a month so i get used to seeing my hair in… Read more »

Curly Queen

She’s super cute.

J
J

Beautiful hair. Please hear me out before pelting the virtual eggs and tomatoes! LOL I am a tad confused. Here are my points: *The curl type changes all the time if BGLH are going to use that as a reference it needs to be consistent and accurate. *We can’t have a 100 different types claiming 3C and they don’t have ONE common denominator.Consistency is key. *Hair is that appears curly when wet DOESN’T mean it’s 3C.Only when dry you can identify the pattern. As stated above clarity is key and i am not being malicious,BGLH the key is in your hands… Read more »

J
J
Reply to  J

*in depth

Carla
Reply to  J

Your true curl pattern is identified when it’s wet not dry. At least that’s what one of the well known natural hair stylist explained. I agree about being as consistent, but that’s relatively hard since no single strand or head of hair is the same. The hair typing system is definitely flawed since anyone can choose to identify their hair a certain way.

Just my two cents 🙂

Landry
Landry
Reply to  Carla

The hair typing system is definitely flawed since anyone can choose to identify their hair a certain way”–> I agree!

No single strands of hair are the same from one person to another. Plus, natural hair can look like many different textures depending on the weather, products, etc. Unless a person does a wash and go with NO product, you’ll have had a hard time figuring out what the true hair texture is. And in all reality, it really doesn’t matter.

Your hair is beautiful Kayla!!

Marcia
Marcia
Reply to  Carla

First, as soon as i saw 3C and saw her hair I figured that the comment thread would turn into a diagnosis of her hair type not being 3C…sigh.…moving on… I am always confused by hair typing because some say it is determined when hair is wet and others say when it is dry and no product. My hair looks pretty different depending on whether it is wet and whether it has product in it. Wet many people think I have 3b hair but dry and no products it looks 4a…lots of defined pencil curls and lots of shrinkage. It… Read more »

Inf
Inf
Reply to  Marcia

co-sign

Raina
Raina
Reply to  Marcia

Bridget
Bridget
Reply to  Marcia

+1 BGLH leaves it up to the natural hair model to define their own hair and I think that is the appropriate approach. As for her particular curl pattern, I have seen it argued both ways. Some folks argue it’s 4a while others argue that it is 3c. The bottom line is the hair typing system is not an exact science and fails to account for the many nuances relative to the curly/kinky hair. Thus, there are going to be some inconsistencies. At the end of the day, regardless of how you type it, she has very beautiful hair!

Dana
Dana
Reply to  J

J, you are so right. 3c was not the hair category this woman looks like (and thats nothing against her). She could easily hang out with the 4bs. Plus if you are doing all that to combat shrinkage (twisting and pinning it to the opposite side) you are definitely in the 4s bc 3cs don’t deal with shrinkage as much. There is no consistency. But its not BGLH’s fault. They can’t tell someone what their hair is. They trust the woman to properly gage their hair which is the right thing to do. Unfortunately, sistas stay putting themselves in a… Read more »

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  Dana

OT: Why “stay” instead of “keep”? I keep seeing this everywhere, is it te hot new thing?

Joan B. in S. C.
Joan B. in S. C.
Reply to  J

I normally just skip the answer to that question.

African Violet
African Violet

Oh! I am loving the updo with the red flower.

Jandrma
Jandrma

Her hair is cute. We place to much emphasis on hair types. Instead of using it as it was intended to help people understand how to manage their hair and find products that work. I see people using it as another class system to talk about what is the better natural hair. At the end of the day it’s just hair and we are all different.

I read these for the inspiration that the ladies provide. I could careless about what type of hair.

Dana
Dana
Reply to  Jandrma

Just b/c someone says an icon looks like they could be in a different category, doesn’t mean they are saying that the person being judged is any less attractive or that any particular category is better or worse.

EG
EG
Reply to  Jandrma

I see people using the term ‘good hair’ and people who are obsessed into turning their kinks into curls as supporters of the class/caste system, not those of us who support hair typing.

AC
AC
Reply to  EG

EXACTLY EG! …I have yet to come across someone using the hair typing system to offend anyone, believe it or not a lot of people don’t know what it is or use it.…people still say “good” or “bad” hair smh.

hassan
hassan

Wow you’re gorgeous and I’m stealing all of your cute & creative hairstyles:)

Jonjalyn

I like your hair a lot but are you truely 3c because you seem to be more 4a or just a lot of frizz

Mel
Mel

Why is everyone so sensitive and keep tip-toeing around the hair type?lmao Not one of her pics shows a 3C texture. She is NOT 3C.

K.Nicole
K.Nicole

Her hair is gorgeous and yes she looks like a 4a to me. But to combat the idea that 3s don’t have a lot of shrinkage, it’s simply not true. My youngest is a 3c and when his hair was stretched to the middle of his back w/o stretching it reached his shoulders. Also, see the photo below this woman is a 3b/c one stretched and wet w/ shrinkage and the other completely dry.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/images.jpg[/img]

Toni
Toni
Reply to  K.Nicole

G.
G.
Reply to  K.Nicole

Hold up If people want to start comparing her hair texture to others at last use valid examples. Fran has said herself she’s 3B, if you rely on hair type descriptions a link was provided early in the comments from naturallycurly.com. 3c curls can be pencil sized, Fran does NOT have pencil sized curls. Straight from naturallycurly: “Type 3c hair has voluminous, tight curls in corkscrews, approximately the circumference of a pencil or straw.” http://www.naturallycurly.com/pages/hairtypes/type3#type-3c You can also see the description and PICTURE of 3B hair on that same page and Frans hair texture fits it perfectly. “People with Type 3b… Read more »

treece
treece
Reply to  G.

the poster typed 3b/c

K.Nicole
K.Nicole
Reply to  G.

You’re right Fran does seem to be a total 3B type. I was also getting her mixed up with the woman Nikisha from UrbanBushBabes (love that site). In this pic she’s too the left of Fran from Hey Fran Hey. Also, this is just a beautiful pic showing women w/ all different hair types! L to R: Franchesca of Chesca Locs, Cipriana from UBB, Fran from Hey Fran Hey, Myleik creator of curlBOX and Taren916 from YouTube.

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/AllHairTypes.jpg[/img]

Marcia
Marcia

Gorgeous hair and fly styles! I will be trying them out! Great feature!

Kayla - CurleyChaos
Kayla - CurleyChaos

Oh gosh, I guess I was wrong about my hair type. Dah well… Team Natural still in the house *WHOOT WHOOT*

I’m no Natural Hair Guru, just a Sistah who has learned to embrace her naturally kinky curls.

Also, huge thank you to everyone for the comments 🙂
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Kayla6.JPG[/img]

K.Nicole
K.Nicole

Lovely response, lovely hair, lovely woman!

Kayla - CurleyChaos
Kayla - CurleyChaos
Reply to  K.Nicole

heyy woman 🙂 thank you, so much!

treece
treece
Reply to  K.Nicole

Exactly

NaturallyFlawed
NaturallyFlawed

Lovely Response sometimes you just have to respond gracefully. Pretty pics and hairstyles anyway regardless of what your hair type is!

Viv
Viv

You are stunning, Kayla, and I love your twist-outs.

Jonjalyn

Agreed I like your response also… I ask not to segregate each other with types I just want to know if you rep. Type 4s and become an inspiration for the kinkys… Which we need more of

Raina
Raina

Sweet response Kayla:) Your hair is fabulous! I actually think there is no reason for you to have to correct yourself because people decide they wanna call you out on what they think is right. The “natural hair police” need to chill on the hair-typing. It really takes the spirit out of people deciding to embrace their natural texture! If you assess that you are 3C,7B, 29SSS then its your business. If you are running around searching for a person with hair like yours you will never find it even if they appear to be the same. This is how… Read more »

MeMe
MeMe

I heard that girl! #teamnatural either way!!

aNON
aNON
Reply to  MeMe

+1 — Very humble answer. 🙂

Bridget
Bridget

Love your response! You have beautiful hair. Enough said.

Tisha

love her hair!!! same exact type as mine(:

Reppin JA
Reppin JA

Beautiful pics Kayla! I personally HATE hair typing thing and couldn’t care less if I’m a #1A or #100Z. Beautiful, healthy hair is all that counts. And again I reiterate that BGLH should remove that portion of the style icon interview, just my 2 cents.

Vonnie
Vonnie
Reply to  Reppin JA

+10000

Naturally Rad
Naturally Rad

Hair is gorgeous!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

DaniCurls
DaniCurls

So nice to see a natural from Pittsburgh! I live about an hour from there in a really small town. Hoping that someday there is a natural hair meetup in the Burgh! You look lovely…

Lee
Lee

Love this sight and the fact that us naturals can all come together for advice and to share our stories,But I hate when some of the discussions get a little heated/nasty. Oh well I guess thats expected when the various views and opions come from a community of beautiful well spoken ethnic women.

*sigh* I love you guys lol

Oh and By the way Kayla’s hair is gorgeous , as is she

J
J
Reply to  Lee

This discussion is not heated we are trying to make sure they is no misinformation on such a global platform. If information is to be published then it will be scrutinized that is how it is. We can always learn and do not know it all so it’s good to discuss things. 🙂

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

It’s nice that so many beautiful naturals are out there. This girl is gorgeous.

DeeKaramel1

I don’t know how I missed this post when it was first posted. I am so glad to see someone from my almost hometown featured on here! Love the hair!

Tamiere
Tamiere
Reply to  DeeKaramel1

Gorgeous natural from Pittsburgh! Love it

random but true
random but true

Beautiful hair and even more beautiful attitude!

Cee
Cee

really pretty!

Fulaman
Fulaman

She is so beautiful that I wish I could kiss her on the cheek.

Jaqueline Dwyer
Jaqueline Dwyer

Lovely young woman… Your hair is also beautiful and I love the fact that you’re natural — no makeup…