Aiysha // Multi Texture Style Icon

Avatar • Jul 24, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
A:
My name is Aiysha and I currently live in NYC.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
A:
My last chemical treatment was in December 2006. Within the next couple of months my hair started to thin/fall out. I actually had bald patches here and there. Those grew in pretty quickly as the rest of my hair slowly started falling off. I would tie back whatever I had left, strategically covering up the short hair spots. Clearly, I was in denial. In March 2007, I finally walked into a salon after work and asked someone to just cut the rest of my hair off. I’ve been chemical-free since.

Later that year I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid), which could have contributed to my hair loss, if it wasn’t the sole reason for it. I did have two sew-in weaves shortly following the ‘big chop’ because I was a little uncomfortable with the look of my new hair. My bf told me to just get rid of the weave. I was a little hesitant at first because I thought he would hate my natural hair. It was definitely a journey of acceptance in the beginning, but I love my juicy hair.

How would you describe your texture?
A:
Ok, I don’t know anything about hair types. I actually just discovered these different texture categories last year. I’m just now really playing with my hair and doing more research. Thanks to sites like this.

If I had to choose I would be in a Type 4 category, with a defined S pattern. Although I love when my hair bunches up and gives me more of a 4c look. I’m already confused. Forget that. My hair is all over the place. Sometimes it’s the juiciest thing ever. Other times I can’t put enough moisture into it. Sometimes it hangs and other times I have the biggest shrinkage. The top is light; it’s fluffier and less defined. The back is curlier. The hair on the side, underneath, like right near my ears, is super soft and silky — almost like baby hair, especially because moisture is retained better there. I also have to use a lot of product…because I have A LOT of hair. A LOT. I’m reminded of that every time I comb my hair out or do a twist out.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
A:
Hmm in the last few months I think I’ve alternated between twist outs and just wearing my hair out (either down or loosely tied up). I really like using DevaCurl (DC) One Conditioner. Right now, it just seems to be the only conditioner to really penetrate my hair and moisturize it. Although I haven’t really tried testing anything else out. And sometimes I get buildup that I feel is definitely from the DC Conditioner or that it’s making my dermatitis worse.

Since I discovered Shea Moisture’s Curl Enhancing Smoothie (thanks, YouTubers!), it’s my go-to product — especially for twist-outs. That and Kinky Kurly’s Knot Today Leave-in. I don’t really like to mess with my hair too much. I think even doing twist-outs too often stresses my tresses (yes, I think I’m clever). If I do twist my hair, it’s more to retain moisture, for a more defined pattern, and length. So when I twist, I use Shea Moisture and then put Argan oil over the twists.

What does wash day look like for you?
A:
I just got diagnosed with dermatitis so I’ve been using a prescribed shampoo for that. I don’t use it as often as I should. Instead I use jojoba oil on wash day. Really helps. I have also used Paul Mitchell’s Clarifying Shampoo and DC’s No Poo. So…I shampoo my hair, use the tips of my fingers (vs. nails) to really scrub away all that buildup, condition and then apply either just jojoba oil or a mixture of jojoba and tea tree oil to my scalp. Coat my hair in Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and air dry.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
A:
I rarely pineapple my hair at night or wrap it in anything, or sleep on a silk pillowcase (although I probably should). Whether I am wearing it out or in a twist-out I just usually get up and go. Or get up, tug at it to unflatten the sides, reshape and go. If that doesn’t do it, or it’s way too hot out I grab a scrunchy, pineapple my hair, and go.

How do you combat shrinkage?
A:
Well I’m not combating it because I’m not at war with it haha. If I want my hair to ‘hang’ more, I do a twist out. Otherwise, like I said, I can reshape it. Sometimes the shrinkage annoys me, especially when it’s looking so cute after a shower and then less than an hour later I’ve lost a few inches. But other times I like the shrinkage. I like that my hair can look so many different ways — long, short, super curly, super puffy and ‘fro‑y’.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
A:
Breakage, split ends, dryness. I find that usually those are due to the products I’m using or lack of product. Like I said earlier, I have to use a lot of it to really coat all of my hair. Sometimes it’s my diet. Sometimes it just needs a little water to perk up. Now that my hair is so much longer than when I started and I’m more acquainted with it, I starting to work with it more and understand what it needs.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
A:
Lots of moisture and keeping it detangled (otherwise it can start getting a little matted). And I’m going to add a third one…a cut every few months really revitalizes my hair.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
A:
No moisture and messing with it too much. My hair responds to a light touch and just leaving it alone after that.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
A:
amerryprankster on Instagram. I can be a big #gpoy #naturalhair hashtagger sometimes.

About Meosha

Yahya
Yahya

Woahhh. She’s strikingly gorge. I think I have a fave. Lately these icons have been amazing. Sorry for the illness

101Corkscrews
101Corkscrews

Beautiful hair. I love the varied looks she’s learned to do. Inspirational.…i need to embrace more looks too. Great interview.

treece
treece

This is like looking at my own head. I can’t even imagine how I’m going to manage when it gets to her length. Beautiful hair and girl. Love the Red Stripe!#TeamJA

Zoopath
Zoopath

Gorgeous hair! This is a first for me but I think I may have found a hair twin. Her texture looks similar to mine as well as her description of the different textures. The only difference is hers is twice as long as mine 😉 Gives me something to look forward to.

Jo
Jo

Beautiful hair! I so agree about not knowing my curl pattern and not understanding shrinkage! LOL

I would be multi textured wiv a defined S pattern.My hair is looser at the back and front but tight on the sides.

Kinky hair is sooooo beautiful and versatile,this is ONLY the beginning of great things for kinky-textured hair. 🙂

Lela7
Lela7

I love her hair. its perfect! I love the fact she can go from what looks like a a to a 4c — I love the main 4c looking pic — absolutely beautiful!

Lela7
Lela7
Reply to  Lela7

That should say ‘what lokos like a 4a to a 4c.’

Landry
Landry

I love, LOVE the versatility of natural hair. As a 9 month natural, I can say that it has been such a fun journey, and I learn something new every day. Aiysha, you are a beautiful girl with hair to match!

Afua
Afua

She looks Ethiopian. Beautiful x

Reply to  Afua

Cuban-American 😉

StarNonymous
StarNonymous
Reply to  Aiysha

I knew it! I’d know a fellow Cubana anywhere! Gorgeous hair hermana. Good luck with your health woes. I have many of my own and I hope that my hair will grow into a beautiful fro such as yours one day. Cuidate.

Reply to  StarNonymous

Gracias fellow Cubanita!

LM
LM

That big chop photo is especially gorgeous. she has such a pretty face and the cut just made it stand out more. And she does have ALOT of hair. wow..so big and fluffy.

Thanks for the love! Afua, I’m actually Cuban American 🙂

Anon
Anon

I love how we are re-discovering the BEAUTY of Kinky hair! I really like these features lately that celebrates our UNIQUE and wonderful textures. 🙂

Annette
Annette

This girl Aiysha is one of the most beautiful girls I’ve met. No matter if her hair is long, short, had three hours or 15 minutes dedicated to it, she looks fantastic. She wears is with grace and pride. I guess the most important thing is loving what you came with. When you do, you’ll look absolutely fantastic like her.

Vonnie
Vonnie

Gorgeous woman and hair!

Donna
Donna

Ayisha is not only beautiful on the outside but on the inside as well.
Not to mention she is my co-worker 🙂 I too have natural hair (1 year last month YEAH ME !) Aiysha has been extremely helpful to me in providing tips and encouraging me on my own natural hair journey. I love how candid and honest her feature is. I know her story will help and also educate many women with their natural hair journey, just as she has done for me 🙂

Annie L.
Annie L.

NYC!!!

Our textures appear a bit different but Aiysha was describing MY hair!

The up-and-down moisture, less-defined top and curlier back, the slippery hair around the ears and back (I thought it was just my bizarro quirk!), the thickness and need for TONS of product, nighttime routine, shrinkage, go-to style and problem areas, hair color — EVERYTHING was eerily familiar. Even her glasses look like my blue Persol’s *scary*

Gorgeous! Thanks for the upbeat interview, and love the quirky photos, her expressions make me think of Gilda Radner, Lol!

erika
erika

@Aiysha, how did you deal with your hypothyroidism and your hair? I have the same condition, and although I’m in treatment this hair loss thing (among other challenges) has been ridiculous.

Reply to  erika

Hi Erica! After my hair fell out, I just let it do its thing. It grew in just fine, super healthy and curly. My hair had been processed since I was like 8 or 9 so it was refreshing seeing my hair in its natural state. I actually wondered why it was processed in the first place. I was warned about having extra shedding and brittle strands so I did look out for that and I think in the beginning that was certainly true. I haven’t had a problem with my hair, really. Recently I started noticing some thinning hair loss… Read more »

Reply to  Aiysha

Erika*

Curly Queen

Love the hair and the length. I’m excited for my hair to reach that length.

Afua
Afua

🙂

Dana
Dana

I like that even though she had a scalp condition, she learned to work with it and still attain a nice head of hair. Very inspirational and encouraging.

Candice
Candice

This woman is too cute. Love how she’s loving herself. Especially with the glasses!

keisha
keisha

aren’t you a beauty!! beautiful hair! love the earrings in the second to last row middle pic…where did you get them? they are gorgeous!

Barbara
Barbara

I have never commented but felt compelled to do so. She’s beautiful and favors Lynn Whitfield.Aishya is inspiring me to be patient with my hair and stay natural. Sometimes I just get frustrated with my hair but she is giving me life!

Xylvr
Xylvr

Loving the Red Stripe love ur hair I’m living in Jamaica I’m transitioning currently in braids loving it we rnt fortunate to have all those products altho I wanna go all natural nw the only product I use is African pride shea moisture leave in n eco styler lol waiting to chop it off

Lee
Lee

her hair is so perf! I would love it if she did a video showing how she defines her curls

Avanti
Avanti

My favorite photo is definitely the TWA! Gorgeous hair girl!!!

Reply to  Avanti

i had to look up TWA haha. Thanks, lady!

Mannie

Aliysha,

Girl, I am loving your hair and style. You’ve inspired me. I am a current transitioner and I am learning more about my hair.

Today- you’ve given me more of a reason to keep going with my transition.

Thanks.

Mannie

Keenan Hair Stylist
Reply to  Mannie

LOVE it Love it LoVe it. It looks great all of your looks.

Bianca

Beautiful hair and personality! It’s nice to see someone else with a thyroid condition profiled…
Do you have any tips for those of us who also have thyroid conditions?

regina t

Oh my goodness you lk just like a grown up version of my little girl. She has the same hair i mean almost to the T! Honey when we let it go it just goes and when I do a twist then it is really wavy afterwards.i to have to kep her moisture levels good and it is HARD! I have chosen the Kinky Curly Knot Today and I use African mango products (mainly just oil ) . Try the new WEN it makes for a reat conditioner and it makes it so soft . Just agian you are a… Read more »

Cee Cee
Cee Cee

I have seborrhea dermatitis too and I lost hair. But, thank the Lord it has grown back.Her hair is just gorgeous. I use the Shea Moisture Yucca & Baobab Thickening shampoo and I’ve seen great results.Thanks for sharing a story similar to mine. It give us all hope to know that we can bounce back from hair challenges.

yvonne

I LOVE your hair and your pics are super cute!!!!

GG
GG

You are gorgeous!!! I love your hair and you! Can you tell me about your brows??? Thanks so much for sharing :0)

Knatural
Knatural

OMG…FREAKING GORGEOUS!!!! Beautiful hair, beautiful personality and beautiful woman!! I pretty much have a girl crush. lol One of the first natural ladies I followed on IG. My hair is getting close to this length and I am so very inspired!! I wanna go home and try out a few new looks!! Thanks Aiysha!!!

Monz03b
Monz03b

I almost passed out. Lovely hair and face! Her hair texture is super gorgeous!!!!

Trina

cute!

Rachelle

love your hair. love your story. i too have dermatitis. i transitioned for 3 years wearing micros (that I installed to keep damage low). after that, i was diagnosed with dermatitis and was devastated. scalp was a complete mess. i flat ironed my hair for 5 years b/c the one time i wore it natural to work, my boss told me i looked like i had stuck my finger in a socket (i’m a lawyer). finally, 2 years later, i said “eff what he thinks” and rocked the real natural. after that, my scalp is loving it. no more giant… Read more »

dee