7 Unique Advantages of Short Natural Hair

Avatar • Jul 29, 2012

By Cipriana of Urbanbushbabes.com

When it comes to natural hair some think long flowing Rapunzel like locks, reaching to the floor or in my case to the sky is the ultimate advantage, but to be honest short hair has more advantages than you think, and if it were not for my alien sized head I too may have considered a shorter style in the past, but the Lord blessed me with all this hair for a reason.

Short hair has been a style rocked by all, whether by choice or a transition to longer lengths. Here are 7 reasons why short hair rules.

1. Stronger Ends

New growth equals stronger hair simply because it has not been around long enough to be exposed to the elements, manipulation and wear and tear that come naturally as the hair ages. Basically shorter hair is stronger, period. As long as you are not causing damage to your hair by heat, over manipulation and chemicals, your ends are the strongest of them all!

2. More Styling Manipulation

The advantages of having shorter hair not only means less manipulation (if you can keep your hands out of your hair in those idle moments, lol) but also being able to withstand a little more manipulation than longer lengths. As previously mentioned new growth is stronger and can handle a little more manipulation than longer hair, which is why there are women (like Amber Rose) who rock short haircuts and dye their hair every color under the sun but still have healthy hair. The constant cutting of your ends to achieve a shorter look eliminates damage that occurred while using a chemical such as dye.

3. Water is Your Best Friend

We all know water is your best friend regardless of length but if you are a shorty, you really have the comfort of enjoying Mother Nature’s greatest gift without the process of protective styles or sectioning to reduce tangling, not to mention air-drying short hair is a dream!

4. Protective Styling WHAT?

The length of short hair is automatically a protective style within itself since your ends will not be in friction with any clothing articles you may be wearing. No matter what your hair type texture, if hair is above shoulder length you have more freedom to wear your hair out without risking damage from friction.

5. Less Time

The hands of time are on your side! With less hair you save time on everything from detangling, washing to styling.

6. Easier Detangling

The longer/older your strands are, the more susceptible they are to feathering; when your ends are thinner and finer than your roots due to wear over time. Feathering leads to tangling, single strand knots and split ends.

7. Product Usage

More money more problems…Less hair less products! Rockin short styles obviously means less product usage, saving you money.

Ladies, if you’re currently rocking short hair, what do you love about it?

Kiesha
Kiesha

Wowee!! I saw the title and was super excited!! I’ve been natural for about 4 years now and last year decided to cut it all off. It’s been over a since I’ve been rocking short hair and I love it. Lately, I’ve been toying with the idea to grow it out;do something different with it, but every time I think about how simple and easy and cheap it is to care for my short hair, I scrap out the thought of letting it grow out. Thanks soo much for posting this; came at the right time 🙂

Vonnie
Vonnie

As

Vonnie
Vonnie
Reply to  Vonnie

Wow…mistake on my part. ANYwho.….

As I come closer to my one-year hair anniversary, I can truly say I’m at the place where I appreciate all stages of my hair. Don’t get me wrong, I’m certainly at a place of envy when I see style icons and their 2+ years of locs, but I also remember when I could shower, throw on some KCCC and head out the door. It’s all a journey, and I’m appreciating it all throughout the way…

severus snape
severus snape

I think ‘It’s Ugly, and You look like a boy” cancels out all 7 of those reasons.

Ambrosia Jones
Reply to  severus snape

Severus, OUCH! Yeesh!

I am experiencing no regrets about cutting my hair short just last week. Well, except that sometimes I’m afraid I’m too fat for short hair. Oh well! In any event, thanks for the seven reminders!

Nana
Nana
Reply to  severus snape

But who asked you?

Tati
Tati
Reply to  Nana

Unfortunately, because this is the internet, no one needs to ask for an opinion. People gladly give theirs away in a heartbeat.

Sophie
Sophie
Reply to  severus snape

The only ugly thing here is that attitude.

Anyway…
I agree with this list! My hair is getting to middle length and I’m loving how it looks and the new styles I can do, but I find that I have to work a bit harder to manage all of it without it being a chore. When my hair was short I just tossed on some leave-in conditioner and it was happy. I think short hair suits people who don’t mind showing their face… I think twa’s and pixie cuts can look really fierce and fresh.

Vonnie
Vonnie
Reply to  severus snape

Must be a internet troll. Carrying on.…

Shannon
Shannon
Reply to  severus snape

-_-

Dana
Dana
Reply to  severus snape

severus, I agree with you.

Contrary to popular belief, not everybody is in love with their big chop. Or if they are in love with it, it quickly fades. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is actually natural women who are the engine behind the massive wig and weave industry.

Fabi
Fabi

What’s funny is that the reason why I decided to give myself a short cut was because of Kelis! I saw how her hair was styled for last Fall’s Mercedez Benz Fashion Week and fell in love with her hair, cut, and style! So I chopped mine off and voila! My hair has been short since the end of last September and I get more compliments on my short hair now than ever! I love it! all 7 reasons are totally on point:)
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/IMG_20120323_232212.jpg[/img]

Nana
Nana
Reply to  Fabi

You’re so beautiful! Love that eyeshadow 🙂

Fabi
Fabi
Reply to  Nana

Thanks Nana! I also wanted to add that I have a hair condition so cutting it that short really did help strengthen my ends and required less manipulation. So for anyone out there that has hair issues, short may be the way to go..

Alisha
Reply to  Fabi

Niiiice! Love it!

Fabi
Fabi
Reply to  Alisha

Thanks Alisha!

Krys
Krys

I read your articles from here in the UK regularly, and after cutting my hair off in April was quite disappointed that more hasn’t been posted about the advantages of short hair. Great to see that this article has been so well written and definitely embraces the pros of having short hair. I am so glad I cut my hair and for me, like many others it is an experience I am really enjoying. I have found that although I have generally received positive comments about my fresh chop, when talking to many women, they are scared about taking the… Read more »

Alisha
Reply to  Krys

You look beautiful.

Krys
Krys
Reply to  Alisha

Thanks Alisha

Cherry Davis

I strongly disagree with the ‘you look like a boy’ whoever said that to you was just being an ass. I have had super short mm length hair and the shag I have now (hair texture varies all over) that I’ve always gotten compliments on my hair. Usually I find when my hair is short it really shows off my eyes, that I have crazy tiny ears and that I’m blessed with great skin. I recommend any woman who’s concerned about having short hair to figure out her texture than get ready to accessorize with stepping up on eyeliner and… Read more »

Maya
Maya

Hey I am seriously considering doing a big chop down to my new growth but my head is big, so what if it doesnt look right ? Please help, Im only 16 and still in school and Im kinda nervous about reactions I’ll get.

Inf
Inf
Reply to  Maya

I just big chopped two weeks ago. I was worried about my head shape, what it would be like to have super short hair.…but I decided “screw it”. I did it and have loved it. I’ve gotten a lot of compliments, but even if I hadn’t…hair grows back. Get you a good leave in conditioner and a tub of eco styler…and your life will be much easier for a while. Some cute hair accessories will help…especially at your age! HTH

Dana
Dana
Reply to  Maya

Maya, hold your horses. How much hair will you be chopping off? DO NOT do it if you are not completely ready for it. And your peers will be vicious, for sure. Even if you think you have good nerves, it will still hurt. What about how you parents, siblings, boyfriend? How would they feel about it? ‘Cause if you don’t have their support either it will be a double blow. Maybe you should hold off cutting it until you leave for college-new place, new do. Wear transition styles until you’re comfortable either way.

Maya
Maya
Reply to  Dana

Thanks Dana this really helped! My family thinks I shouldnt do it but my boyfriend thinks it would be great. The advice about waiting till college is what I think I’ll do because Im going to NYU (hopefully) or somewhere in NY and the fashion there is so accepting of all styles! Thanks!

Jesusinthecity
Jesusinthecity

Anyone know if it’s possible to achieve this color with henna or any kind of henna cassia or other natural color mix? Just curious…

LBell
LBell

I’m pleasantly surprised to see an article on short hair on BGLH. Folks kill me with their worrying about how it will look, whether it will grow, how to protect it…when in reality the TWA is one of the easiest if not the easiest natural hairstyle there is. For that alone I think every natural (yeah, I said it) should experience short hair life at least once. In fact when I was growing up what we called “the natural” was basically a short, neat ‘fro. Nowadays you can really play with texture and color with short hair…and start over just… Read more »

Inf
Inf
Reply to  LBell

co-sign

melmel
melmel
Reply to  LBell

I think women look more like themselves with natural hair no matter how long it is, and how can that be bad?

THIS 🙂

Michelle L.

Love this article! When I chopped off my hair last year, it was so much easier to style, plus I could get away with coloring my hair and not thinking about so much damage. Now that my hair is past my shoulders, it has become quite difficult to keep it looking like something with too much effort. Funny, when I had short hair, I kept wishing for long hair. Now that my hair is longer, I am beginning to appreciate shorter hair in hindsight. Oh, those were the days…! Maybe next decade, I might go short again, we’ll see…
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/BC.jpg[/img]

Nikki
Nikki

I have fade and I’m loving the hair I’m in!! I can wash and go with ease and it’s really uncomplicated to care for! My husband thinks its really sexy!! I plan on keeping m fade and rocking it fiercely!! I truly appreciate sites like this that reiterate the beauty of being natural because we are ALL beautiful!!

mercy
mercy

cant wait to have some long hair advantages.

Dana
Dana
Reply to  mercy

co-sign

Micki
Micki

I don’t think my hair got this memo LOL! Some days are good and MOST days are a pain in my.…

The detangling process is so annoying for my multi-textured tresses which makes styling a pain, but either way I still love my hair. I’m gonna make my hair read this article because I know it can (and should) be simple and kind to me. LOL!

Swarthy Daisy

Anything that Kelis wears is iconic. Love her!

LainaLain

I just cut my hair off and am now thinking of staying short for a while. It’s so much easier to deal with that way.

Kahlia

I love the positive responses from everyone. I am very happy to see so many women coming together and embacing their natural state. I’ve been natural for 10 years and I remember when I started transitioning there were no great sites like Black Girl With Long Hair and oher forums. I’ve been through it all over the years, hair dyed blonde (embracing by inner Beyonce), rocked symmetrical cuts to show my fierce diva side (but scared to wear it in a natural state at that length because of perception), hair falling out and thinning because of health conditions, and now… Read more »

MC
MC

At one point I grew out my hair to the point that my two-strand twists were halfway down my back, but it was just too much work maintaining it. TWA is no muss, no fuss and still looks good. And since I started going back to the gym a year ago I really like having my hair short, because with all the sweat I have to wash it every few days. I can’t imagine doing that if I had to constantly restyle it.

Kiesha
Kiesha
Reply to  MC

I agree with you MC. I’ve started working out and I sweat alot & I love that after my workouts, I can wash my short hair with such ease.

kadimadart
kadimadart

My transition started in Dec. but there was no big chop until march.…I was surprised and still am by all the compliments recieved about my hair to this day.…personally im lovin the short hair…its great to wash and go…right now im contemplating colour…somthing that was not so forgiving when i had process hair.

sandra
sandra

i love this article and i’m so happy i cut my hair, even if i’m just 17 and in college looking at girls with lovely long locks, i’m proud of my short hair. The best part of it all is that i get to feel the wind in my hair and it’s extremely refreshing. This is a picture of my big chop about 3months ago
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/mychoppedhair.jpg[/img]

Cipriana

Thank you! So happy you ladies love the article. I think short hair is so beautiful and extremely sexy!!!

niffy
niffy

I am so happy i stumbled accross this. I just chopped off the ramaning part of my permed hair this morning after 8months of transitioning. Would be looking out for more useful tips frm ere. Xo

felix
felix

i’ve always had short hair and people would make nast comments. But after reading this i now feel confident and loving it.

Ijeoma Ede
Ijeoma Ede

Am rocking my short hair n its been fun all d way

Walina
Walina

I love my short natural hair! I get a lot of negative comments about it especially from my parents but I don’t care. I love my natural hair!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Snapshot_20121005_5.JPG[/img]

niffy
niffy
Reply to  Walina

This is lovely, how did u achieve this? Dis style I mean?

Yapah
Yapah
Reply to  Walina

I live it,I’m trying to figure out what to do with mine, with this fat face of mine lol

vlm
vlm
Reply to  Walina

Your hair is super cute!

Taves
Taves

Really nice style at Walina!

Chan

I love this post! I glad someone decided to point this out. Even though I do have long natural hair. I think it’s funny that most people expect that your hair should be long if its natural.

IsaKe
IsaKe

I have been natural since 97. It was almost like I woke up and had a head full of hair. I decided to cut my hair Sept 2012, of course without the agreement of my husband. (men and their long hair fantasy) I LOVE LOVE LOVE my short hair. It’s alot easier and I can actually feel my scalp. I don’t have to worry about styling or what am I going to do with all that hair. I also have a new texture and it has gotten ALOT thicker and grows like weeds! It’s February and I am in need… Read more »

Mae Mae
Mae Mae

Allowing me to explore transformation with articles to define my essence and cultivate my creativity. It just doesn’t come to you, you have to work at it.

raina
raina

I’ve been transitioning for 6 months & absolutely love my hair!!! I love air drying& when it rains not having to worry about my weave or relaxed hair being messed up. my arms don’t hurt from blow drying for hours,I just Bantu knot it & head out the door or take out the knots & retwist at night. if I knew returning to natural was this easy & fun,I would’ve done it soooo much sooner!! 🙂

Lynn

This is my third scalp cut. TWA. What I like best is.…..The feel!!

Anne
Anne

OMG I accidentely gave a Thumbs down to walina, could someone fix it please she’s to have a thumbs up in support of her Thanks.

Randi

I love my short hair.…just a little disturbed by the shrinkage. But it’s manageable and its easier to deal with trims, etc. I think you should make whatever you have look good. Longer doesn’t always equal better and more stylish. Its all about looking good for me.…I love it… check out my blog for pics and posts about being a short natural…

Adrey
Adrey

I absolutely love wash and go .Big chopped May 1,2013

Simone
Simone

I lost my shoulder length hair to cancer but am learning to love my short natural do. I admit I sometimes wish for longer hair for versatility but short hair is growing on me, pun intended.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/image-18.jpg[/img]

NaturalnBless

Great article on reminding us on the different advantages of short hair. I love your last tip on product usage. I have 4C which is medium length and I have to say I use a 8 oz product twice. At most 3 times and it’s finish. http://www.outerbeautysupply.com/twists-curly-locks-natural/

smoovelime
smoovelime

I didn’t know that short hair was a protective in itself I used to worry that leaving my hair out would be damaging but it isn’t because of the lack of friction, thank you.

Toni
Toni

I have 4/b/c hair and I only do wash in go’s literally. I cowash, do the LOC method and I’m out the door. I love it. I live in Florida as it doesn’t really get cold here so I’ve been wash n going straight through winter. My hair looks kinky all the time and that’s fine with me. I like that I can wash it whenever I want…it takes me 15 minutes in the morning from start to finish. I’m keeping my hair clean and moisturized with little effort. Loving it!!!! ????
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/image-13.jpg[/img]

Lea
Lea

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/1–29selfie.jpg[/img]

Lea
Lea

I love my shaved hair…and I did it because I hated my haircut!! go for it!

Joanna
Joanna

I have short natural hair two, I can barely make a second twist when I do bantu knots! When stretched, it’s the length of my index finger. Soooo, box braids allllll the way! Poetic Justice style :). 3rd round now and it’s so easy and low maintenance, plus: super cheap. In my country you get beautiful mid-back length box braids installed for about $15 (nope, did not forget any 0! and I feel sorry some of you guys have to pay $100-something)so i get them in as soon as my coils are starting to curl/frizz out of the braids (it… Read more »

Joanna
Joanna

too* (ughh…)

Tabatha
Tabatha

With short hair, Water was not my friend and detangling was a nightmare. I think it comes down to the hair type.

trackback

[…] Here’s 7  more reasons why shorter hair is more fun too, http://bglh-marketplace.com/2012/07/7‑unique-advantages-of-short-natural-hair/ […]

Ariel
Ariel

Oh man! When I re-big chopped 2 years ago (after being natural and clueless for 5 years) it was great! I have 4c DENSE hair. So. Much. Hair. but when it was short, I could go swimming and wash my hair easily and moisturize/detangle without any hassle (and it wasn’t a big problem if I didn’t fully detangle because I wasn’t braiding or protective styling then either). So great! Don’t get me wrong, I love trying new and creative techniques on my hair now (shoulder length or a little longer) but MAN, got to love the freedom of short short… Read more »

Aliyah
Aliyah

Have short 4a type hair . I love it I’m almost into the awkward length stage
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/image‑7.jpg[/img]

Aliyah
Aliyah

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/image‑8.jpg[/img]

Tamey
Tamey

I big-chopped 3 months ago & I am in luv with my tapered twa. I can’t agree with #5 on this list, time. It takes me more time to do my hair now, short & natural. My relaxed hair was 1,2,3.

Faith Ann
Faith Ann

Um what does 4c or 4a mean?