4 Easy, Chic Updos

Avatar • Jul 31, 2012

Updos can be tricky. On the one hand they are fairly simple — just involving a bit of tucking, rolling and pinning. On the other hand, if you don’t know exactly where/how to tuck, roll and pin the style can come out looking a mess. Here are 4 YouTube tutorials that break down and simplify the updo for beginners.

1. The Basic Updo

This style can be done on pretty much any length of natural hair aside from a TWA. Very simple and very clean.

2. Flat Twist Updo

Very simple, but involves flat twisting.

3. Updo for Longer Hair

A simple updo for naturals with some length.

4. Bun/Updo Hybrid

This updo incorporates a bun in the back with a front bouffant. For naturals with medium to long hair.

Ladies, have you tried any of these? What were your results like?

Candice
Candice

I think I like Naptural 85 and Natural Chica’s tutorials so much because I don’t have to listen to them on mute. The music in some of these videos just drives me crazy. Really like the last one though.

V
V

#3 inspired the look below and my hair is mid- length (like 9+ inches- I haven’t measured in a couple months). It turned out well enough that I’d like to put it in the regular rotation
comment image

Alisha
Reply to  V

Great job! And love your earrings!

V
V
Reply to  Alisha

Aw thanks!

V
V
Reply to  Alisha

Thanks!!!

Beth
Beth

Didnt get a chance to view the other vids but the first one was a lifesaver for me. I LOVE updos but have struggled to acheive updo looks on my hair. The top vid presents a method that appears to be a “cheat.” I love it! My fine hair has to be “tricked” into updos — when I try to pin it up it laughs at me like “Yeah right, that’s not happening.” Lol, anyways, thanks bglh and ladies who came up with these cute updo ideas!

Shon
Shon

I’ve done the flat twist up-do (style 2) twice now and I really love how easy it is to do, and how low maintenance it is.