My Experience with Split End Repair Products

Avatar • Jun 25, 2012

By Rinny of MissRiot.com

Recently, I decided to straighten my hair for graduation with a blow-out after about 1.5 years of not using any heat and almost 3 years of not straightening it. Ironically, 1.5 years ago was also the last time I had a trim. I know it might seem really awful but I usually wear my hair in protective styles and religiously deep condition and seal my ends.

After the blow-out, my hair looked perfectly healthy. I kept my hair moisturized with light oils to prevent it from being weighed down from product build-up.  A few weeks later, I noticed my ends were doing something weird I’d never seen before…FEATHERING. I panicked and headed to the nearest store to try out any product that utilized the new PEC technology to mend split ends.  First I tried, TRESemme’ Split Remedy leave-in conditioning treatment which “reduces up to 80% of split ends after 3 uses.”($8.99 at CVS) I figured I could apply this stuff; roller set my hair and be out for the evening. Boy, was I wrong. I didn’t see much difference outside of the fact that it made my hair revert. (At this point I’m still clinging on to a 4‑week old blow-out)

I decided to try another product, Nexxus Pro-Mend Split End Binding Targeted leave-in Treatment Crème ($10.99 at Target) This product promised, “Repairs up to 92% of split ends.” I applied the product and proceeded to do a bantu knot-out. The next day, my hair just looked confused. Sure, it felt soft and moisturized but a 92% split end miracle-worker? Maybe 75%. These products could potentially help in the long-run if you “use their entire product line” as suggested but don’t expect overnight miracles.

I think part of my problem is my hair just wanted to revert back to its natural state and much of the frizz I mistook for split ends could have very well been a curl coup. However, I think I’m way overdue for a trim.

Ladies, have you tried split end repair products? What has your experience been?

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

Lysheba
Lysheba

I use the Nexxus promend overnight treatment and like it a lot . The first time, I put it on damp hair and went to bed, and next morning my hair definitely felt smoother. It was harder to find the split ends to, whereas before split ends were everywhere(I don’t use heat but my hair stays in “out” styles most of the time). I really like it as a daytime leave in as well. However, I recently tried to do my own ‘ombre’ thing. I applied boxed blonde color to my ends, and waited a week before going over my whole… Read more »

Landry
Landry

Honestly, these “split end repair products” are nothing more than a marketing ploy. In reality, there is not way to “fix” a split ends, the only remedy is to cut them off. No matter how healthy you keep your hair, protective style it, and/or moisturize your ends, I think cutting a half inch every 3–4 months is a good to way to keep split ends from forming in the first place.

Dolores
Dolores
Reply to  Landry

I have never tried any of these products and my instinct is to agree with your post.

I also wonder how the product is supposed to work. Does it basically glue your ends back together? If so, what’s to stop it from gluing separate strands together as opposed to split hairs? I’m confused.

Dolores
Dolores
Reply to  Lysheba

Ok, thanks, I see how it works now. I’m still skeptical though…

Landry
Landry
Reply to  Dolores

I’m skeptical of this article as well Dolores…I think “putting strands back together” sounds ludicrous, and if anything, it’s just a temporary fix.

There are worse things in life than simply trimming one’s hair! lol

minnie
minnie
Reply to  Landry
Ola Mae
Ola Mae

I’ve had the same problem. Since you don’t straighten your hair often it is going to revert back to it’s normal curl pattern. I usually wait about 6 months to trim my hair but I’m beginning to notice that I am going to have to stop that and just trim my hair every 6–8 weeks. The last time I straightened my hair was so irritating and I know it had to do with the fact that I am not trimming my ends as regularly as I should.

BeholdALady

Hi ladies! Back in March, I posted about this very topic (and Tresemme product) on my blog, The Mane Objective.

Check it out at: http://www.themaneobjective.blogspot.com/2012/03/split-end-reversal-is-it-possible.html

ayomide
ayomide

I tried the Nexuss product while I was waiting to find a salon that I trusted to cut my ends. I didn’t see any significant difference. The product smelled funny but it did make my hair feel soft but I still saw the same amount of split ends..

Michelle @Radiant Brown Beauty

I don’t even bother with these kinds of products because I think they are mostly gimmicky. If someone achieves success with them I say great but I’ll save my money for more preventative hair care.…like hair accessories that don’t snag lol

Charlotte

I couldn’t agree more. All the time spent buying a product, natural or not, and rubbing it into your ends, you could spend that same time cutting them off. Sure you can’t get all of them but dusting and trimming regularly should reduce them. You can never go wrong with getting better hair accessories while at it. A lot of ppl do not understand that even metal free bands are not good if you use them as a base for a pony, especially if your hair is long, long hair is so super fragile and so many things can damage… Read more »

Bernadette

I’m under the thought that the only split end repair is to cut those bad boys off. I usually do the “search & destroy” method.

And as for trimming, I don’t have a set schedule.…I only trim when my hair needs it and I notice a lot of breakage.

Zelda
Zelda

Nope.I’ve never used any cuz I know for a fact that they dont work. Hair is dead so if it gets broken or split the only way to repair it is to cut the damage off. Those products trick you. You can put anything creamy on your hair & it will “mend” your split ends because when you put product on hair it bunches together so it seems that the ends are repaired…but in reality their just touched with a product that made your hair stick together. My remedy…CUT IT! and keep it movin…the hair will grow back.

Charlotte
Reply to  Zelda

Lol you said it so perfectly. You can put anything liquid on your hair for that matter and reduce the appearance of split ends, lol. You could slap some lard on them, they are still split at the end of the day and that same amount of time could have been better spent cutting them off. If you want to but something for split ends buy some sharp scissors!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/image‑7.jpg[/img]

Lyn
Lyn

So I have used the Tresemme rise-out conditioner and I have seen a significant improvement. The issue that I have is that I have super fine hair (meaning that each strand is very fine, though my overall hair density is medium). Because of that, I had split ends even in protective styles. I wear twists 95% of the time and my twists are always pinned up in an updo, but I still had split ends like crazy (I would bring my hair before my face and in any handful of hair it looked like about half of the hairs were… Read more »

Charlotte
Reply to  Lyn

I have some thoughts for you. My hair was the same way, and my hair will always get a split end or two no matter what. The only difference is that strangely enough my hair grows lengthwise like a weed. Maybe you have tried all this but just to help out: 1) Stop wash and go’s forever, stick to braid out and twist out’s. 2) Never sleep on loose hair even pineapples, always braid or bun at night. 3) Invest in sharp, sharp scissors. Mine were $85. Everyone who does s&d has a lot if split ends and the hair… Read more »

mershauna

i honestly dont believe any product can repair split end. once the damage is done thats it. you just have to cut it off. however, recently i started using aussie’s split end protector and i saw impressive results after one use.i use this product to protect my ends in between trims and for me, it really works. my ends feel strong, moisturized, and curl up instantly. its definitely something ill be keep in my regimen.

BlackOnyx03
BlackOnyx03

Interesting. One thing I’ve never had to deal with ::knock on wood:: is split ends. Single-strand knots? Got ’em. Even little broken hairs on occasion. Yep. But split ends are, thankfully, not an issue for me.

J
J

I saw my first split end not long ago it looked like a Y shape. ‑__-
I usually has SSKS or weathered ends so that was shocking to see one.

My view is split ends cannot be stopped completly but minimized by

*Moisturising&sealing
*Less Heat,
*Low manipulation
*Avoiding mechanical damage caused by combs,brushses and hair accessories.

My aim is to get a proffesional trim on my 1 year naturalversary in November. 🙂

J
J
Reply to  J

*usually have

Cocoa
Cocoa

I had a professional trim back in December that left my hair pretty thick at the ends, so I’m positive that the stylist got all of any existing split ends off, and probably then some. I was a little annoyed by the amount that was trimmed off because I think that it may have been a bit excessive since I didn’t need my hair to be cut evenly all over as I never wear it out. It gets washed weekly, only sees a comb on wash day and only when dripping wet and loaded with conditioner in the shower. I… Read more »

Cocoa
Cocoa

L.M.B.O. I was just typing away on this iPhone and did not realize just how loooong that post was. I appreciate ANYONE who would take the time to read it and respond. Hey, maybe a few people may benefit. Again, my apologies. LOL. ‑God Bless!

Kali
Kali

Split-end menders aren’t really menders in the sense that they “fix” your split ends. Many of them will read on the bottle that they’re meant for preserving the appearance of your hair between trims. Many people get regular trims, be they four weeks at a time to three months, etc. What these products are meant to do is to temporarily hold your ends together between those times so that you don’t have to go out with your hair looking like ////// at the bottom. When I wear my hair straight, I’ll use just a dollop of Organix Coconut Milk Split-Ends… Read more »

mary
mary

Never heard of mending split ends O.o, I thought that wasn’t possible! I’m still a firm believer of trims though, that sorts split ends out. That and my trusty bottle of pro naturals moroccan argan oil. That stuff has always protected my hair from getting split ends 🙂

louis vuitton

???????????????????

louis vuitton taschen

???????????????????

??? ??? ??

hello
i like the post

Kitty Kat
Kitty Kat

The reason why the product didn’t work is because the description is a little misleading. The Nexxus Pro Mend Products are actually binders. There are chemicals in the product that bind “NOT MEND” the ends back together; kind of like a glue. And high heat makes this process work better. So if you are not into heat styling you may not see alot of difference. The heat works to bind the glued ends even more.

Zoranic

you were doing a Cruise i was expecting a bggeir boat. I was wondering how some one would afford a huge trip like this, but now i see how it is possible . Cant wait for the pics of the Lean-too , I mean hotel when you get to your other destinations . Looks like your having the time of your lives . We are ecstatic and jealous .