Jules in Barbados // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jun 20, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
J:
Hi my name is Julie-Ann, but I go by Jules and I’m from the beautiful island of Barbados.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
J:
Well I was natural all my life. From a young age I just felt comfortable with the way my hair looked and though I must admit for a good portion of my life I couldn’t handle my hair on my own, I refused to relax it.

How would you describe your texture?
J:
I don’t do the whole hair typing thing, as my hair has a personality of its own but I guess it more falls into the 4b type I think. Sometimes it can be thick and then it can be light and easy to manage. A few hairdressers had their blow dryer comb attachment damaged due to the thickness of my hair when I did go to the salon like eons ago. However, I do find that depending on the type of conditioner I use on my hair, it can either be very curly and manageable or it can be a bit coarse and a bit more difficult.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
J:
My regimen is pretty simple. I use very little commercial products in my hair and can say from that decision my hair has grown a great deal and previous breakage is almost non-existent. My styling depends on the mood I’m in and the time I have to deal with my hair. I mostly wear my hair in a two strand twist as this saves loads of time from dealing with my hair during the week and it also acts as a protective method. But on weekends, I love to let my hair down so I go with a nice twist out or a fro. Also I’m a frequent beach goer and salt can damage your hair if you don’t take the time to use the right kind of products to make certain your hair maintains its health. So my hair may be washed daily on some occasions. When I wash my hair I finger de-tangle or use a wide tooth comb during the conditioning as this saves loads of time when I need to style my hair later.

General Regimen:
Cleansing: Shampoo and Condition with Tresemme Naturals Conditioner once a month and I also give my hair an apple cider rinse once a month.
Protein treatment: An awesome hair smoothie from Style Icon Laila. It consists of: 1 large avocado, 1 banana, 1 can coconut milk, 1 egg and 1 tbsp honey all blended together. This is most amazing on hair and the smell is therapy in itself :).
Moisturising and styling: Homemade whipped Shea butter, which contains coconut oil, rosemary, olive oil, castor oil and any fragrant oil I have on hand all whipped together. Also to maintain my two strand twist for long periods without frizz I use Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist Gel, but just the whipped Shea butter works great too.
Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals Conditioner. This helps with giving me the best wash and go fro on those days I feel lazy or usually after one of my beach days. I just pat dry and I apply my homemade whipped Shea butter, give my head a shake and that’s it.
Maintenance: Every other night I apple just a little of my Shea butter mix to the ends of my hair and I pin my hair up and sleep on a satin pillow case.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style?
J:
My favourite style would have to be a wash and go fro. I just co-wash with Tresemme Naturals Conditioner, seal with my homemade whipped Shea butter, give my hair a shake and I’m out the door. Also because I go to the beach so often it sometimes makes no sense styling my hair often.

How do you combat shrinkage?
J:
I realise that my hair mainly shrinks if I seal and twist it with the whipped Shea butter when my hair is damp. So if I’m hoping to have a big twist out I use this method. However, to reduce the shrinkage I do a two strand twist then twist all my hair together and place it in a bun. If it is kept for a day in a bun, my hair will stretch nicely. However, I do prefer the shrinkage of my hair as its makes for great twist-outs.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require extra care and attention?
J:
My biggest problem area to me at one point was the very light nature of my temple hair. I have been able to thicken it with periodic massaging and rosemary oil ever so often.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
J:
Always combing my hair when it’s wet. A mistake I made in the past was combing my hair dry and I often had loads of my hair in the comb as a result.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
J:
No heat. One rule I stick by for my hair. I realised heat was a major enemy especially after I went to the salon. This was the only way they were able to manage my hair quickly and my hair looked too straight after, which I hated. Also, absolutely no corn row type styles or flat twists. These generally cause my hair to break when I take them out.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
J:
My tumbr account is http://naturalhighlights.tumblr.com/. It’s pretty new, but you can look forward to loads of fun inspiring information there.

About Meosha

Beautiful hair.

One complaint though,why must they insist of putting 4B?

Why can’t they just put Natural icon and let the person featured describe their hair or texture themslves?

I understand the value of the typing system helps to identify which products to buy but I am sure we can live without it as we did before it was invented.

Trele234
Trele234

You seriously need to re-read the article. Because you are not making any sense.

Reply to  Trele234

What i meant to say is the header of the article shouldn’t say the hair texture i.e 3C,4B but should only say Natural Hair Icon.

In my opinion someone will always disagree and it just bring division so why keep using it?

I know that it is hard to think about our hair without it because it has been enforced on the majority of blogs/vlogs/you name it etc… but it can be done.

I do not object in the person interviwed using it as a reference .I hope all confusion has been cleared up. 🙂

Miss Elle

I see and understand what you’re saying, but I think the hair texture in the header is helpful. I’m not sure what opposition you’re referring to, but I haven’t seen anyone object to the hair types being there.

Plus, it’s can be helpful for those who have this hair type who’d like to see what she’s doing or using to get her hair that way. You never know, she could be an inspiration to someone! And it makes it likely that those with her hair type will read her post and feel welcomed encouraged by it.

Reply to  Miss Elle

That is a valid point of view,i never saw it that way! 🙂 Like i said the Natural movement is fairly new so i guess this is the teething stage. LOL

Former Dread
Former Dread

The “natural movement” may be new to you, but it’s not new. Maybe it was in the early 90s, back when I and many women I know gave up straightening our hair.

B
B

I agree against…
Why must the hair type be label or identified?? Hair products arent sold saying 3c or 4a hair etc. To mean it really put naturals in categories which in my OPINION leads to the good hair debate!

hyspin
hyspin
Reply to  B

Honestly the good hair debate will always exist with and without Hair typing. I prefer to type so I have a realistic standard when imitating a hair style, I know if someone has lets say 3a hair and decided to a blow out I know no amount of product will help me get the same style as her hair if 4b.

Also technical products do type as well but they say straight, curly, Colour treated, and dried and damaged. And some will go as far as blond, red and brunette. So typing will always exist in some form for everything.

bee
bee

I actually think the categories are helpful. I think its just for if you are searching through the site and want to find hair htat looks at least somewhat like yours to find out how they care for it, you can. I am in the 4 category (even though I don’t go by types much) so seeing a type 2 or 3a hair is not interesting to me. I like to know how people with hair somewhat like mine, take care of their hair etc. so I think thats the only reason its there, for categorization. btw, check out my… Read more »

Trini
Trini

This is just to compliment your responses to individuals who disagreed with your opinions. It’s so easy to be defensive, yet your responses were graceful.

EG
EG

Nobody forced her to do anything, she chose the 4b description. Let’s be honest, hair typing has helped millions, if you don’t like it or it hasn’t worked for you that’s fine, but it has helped a lot of us understand our hair much better.….#teamtype4

NikNak
NikNak
Reply to  EG

How has it helped? Do two heads of 4b hair respond the same way to product?

EG
EG
Reply to  NikNak

Can we be real for a minute here? even if you take away hair typing you will still have people saying stupid things like good hair/bad hair. It seems like a lot of people with insecurities are trying to blame hair typing because the mean girls won’t let them in their click. Hair typing is not the problem, the mindset of one being better than the other is.…..and to answer your question directly.…Yes they do, you got anything else?

Reply to  EG

I believe Density,porosity,strand size,low sheen,shine can be very helpful as we all have different combinations.

Strand Size:Fine to thick
Density:Medium to Thick
Texture:Thready
Appearance:Low sheen / S O pattern
Porosity:Normal

For those who are aware of the LOIS system that is the reference i have used. This focus more on how your individual hair feels as oppose to a matching picture which can only benefit some.

EG
EG

If it works for you then that’s fine but I only understood half of what’s up there (and don’t an explanation). When someone says type 4 I know exactly what the hair looks like *and* how it behaves.

Reply to  EG

I guess this is to dowith people learning style.I understand majority ofpeople are visual learners and find a picture helpful. My point is that we haven’t even scratched the surface on hair texture because we haven’t SEEN enough to establish a standard texture so the typing system then cannot work if it applies only to certain few. Think of it like language unless their is a standard form and a dictionary is produced then it is just a dialect or variation. Maybe in 10 years time when more people sport their REAL texture then it would help. I appreciate your… Read more »

B
B
Reply to  NikNak

+10000000000000

B
B
Reply to  B

thats to NIK NAK

hyspin
hyspin
Reply to  EG

To clarify I think this started when BGLH decided to make this article http://bglh-marketplace.com/2012/03/7‑tips-for-achieving-your-length-goals-patiently/ I suggested that to make the 2 recommendation easier they should categorize their icon by type and length. So probably decided to take part of that suggestion. I guess with length you can estimate by the picture. But texture is harder to determine because of what style they have. But if your trying to style your hair a certain way I find it easier to have realistic expectation if you have similar texture. Often when we style we like don’t know the product that were used,… Read more »

Lola
Lola

Beautiful hair. I guess she’s not very familiar with the typing system because this hair (in my opinion) is more of 3C/4A.

African Violet
African Violet
Reply to  Lola

Now, see, this is why I believe the hair typing system is so subjective. Someone looks at another woman’s head of hair and says that woman may be wrong about her own hair texture. 🙂

I personally look at her hair and see my hair texture, which I classify, if it must be classified, as predominantly 4b with 4a here and there.

African Violet
African Violet
Reply to  African Violet

And because I was curious, I did end up looking up the system they have on naturallycurly.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types). In all honesty, it’s confused me a bit. Under “4B Celebrities,” they site Esperanza Spalding whose hair can look two different ways depending on how she styles it.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/613x.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Esperanza-Spalding-570x655.jpg[/img]

African Violet
African Violet
Reply to  African Violet

I’m going to try posting a second picture. I hope it shows this time.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/esperanza-spalding-240.jpg[/img]

merry
merry
Reply to  African Violet

i think you hair “type” can also look different depending on different factors — moisture level, how much it is straightened, etc.

Alisha
Reply to  merry

Agreed. My hair looks different based on the products I use, the weather, how it’s manipulated. http://lafemmenegrita.blogspot.com/2012/06/naps-kinks-coils-curls.html

Perkisha
Perkisha
Reply to  African Violet

I agree that the hair typing system is subjective, because I thought she and I had a similar hair texture, and I would consider myself 4A (but it responds best when I use tips/follow regimens from 4B ladies). But if she wears mainly twistouts, perhaps that may be why her hair appears curly in the pics? IMO, 4B’s get the most awesome twistouts!

Klo
Klo

I actually love this new classification of hairtypes tht bglh is doing bc it shows tht every texture, every hair type is beautiful. I really love it bc when I check 4b, 4c, 3c, 4a naturals all I see is beautiful hair..good job guys.

Trele234
Trele234

Alright, she washes her hair often. That is what I like to read. She had a lot of hair as a child. What happened? Did she chop it off. Anyway, you go girl Barbados represent!

Leia
Leia

You’d be surprised if you could see her in person when her hair hasn’t been twisted out. It actually does look 4b.

Former Dread
Former Dread

She is certainly not a 4B. She’s more of a 3C with some 4A.

I don’t care what anyone says, the hair typing system, even with its faults, is very helpful. When someone says, “4A” or “4B,” you get a certain vision in your mind about what that means and what that looks like. If someone just says, “thickly curled,” or “dense,” or “tight ringlets,” that is very subjective and can conjure up a wide spectrum of potentialities, based on your view and what those terms mean to you.

Lela7
Lela7
Reply to  Former Dread

This is obviously more 4a. 3C?! Surely 3c is likke cree summers hair — this is more 4a. People seem to think any thick afro looking curl is 3c! 3c is much looser than this. ANyway, I don’t really care about the typing that much. Her hair is beautiful either way!

Lela7
Lela7
Reply to  Lela7

Also, she may have some 4b in there.

Home Daycare

Love the hair and pics!

treece
treece

Gorgeous Bajan!

KNWill
KNWill

I know that she hair typed herself, but I really wish either people wouldn’t use the hair typing or would actually understand it. She is not a 4B, most 4Bs can not do a Wash N Go (like she says she does and I assume pic#2 in the post is) because there are NO CURLS to a 4B. I think people who think they have thick or “hard to manage” hair want to say they’re a 4B. Her hair is gorgeous, but it’s misleading for her to say she’s a 4B.

Former Dread
Former Dread
Reply to  KNWill

Agree completely.

Beth
Beth
Reply to  KNWill

Not trying to pick on your comment at all, but is lack of curls a real reason to not be able to do a wash n go? I’ve seen beautiful wash n gos with little to no “curl definition.” Hairstyles shouldn’t be texture dependent.

J
J
Reply to  Beth

Hair texture is not absolute,beacuse we have seen a few images or vodeos we think we have seen ALL curls in the world! LOL THis natural movement is still new and boy do we have a LOT to learn. 🙂

Here are pictures texture shots of of Sera25 on Fotki who describes herself as 4B.

I CAN see curls there.Curls do exist it is to do with the size and whether they are still there when dry.

KNWill
KNWill
Reply to  Beth

Beth, I’m sorry I didn’t mean could NOT do a WNG, I meant that a WNG would not have circular ringlets in it for someone who is a sole 4B. The text definition of 4B is this, which is what some people forget and the reason why I think ppl. have made up 4c. I think people came up w/ 4C simply because so many ppl. were saying they were 4B and people with real 4B hair were like my hair looks nothing like that so I must be 4C. DEFINITION OF 4B: 4b Kinky (Wiry) Tightly coiled. Very Fragile. Less… Read more »

Butterfly
Butterfly
Reply to  KNWill

Girl that aint no wash n go.. that is Im frolicking at the beach and it got wet! Her hair is beautiful but why is everyone arguing about what her hair is?? It’s her hair.. leave it alone!

Auset
Reply to  Butterfly

Thank you. That is why I hate the hair typing system. A person describes herself as 55xyz and then so many people come to explain to her why HER hair is not what SHE thinks it is. “But hair typing gives perspective, and helps us decide which products to use.” Yeah, and the other 90 percent of the time, it brings out the worst in people. And the real deal, you figure out what products to use from trial and error. I try not to let hair typing get to me, but there is always a debate involving a self-proclaimed… Read more »

Auset
Reply to  Auset

And in other news, her hair is beautiful, whatever “type” it is.

michele antoinette
michele antoinette
Reply to  KNWill

I definitely have a noticeable curl pattern(my hair does the ringlette thing, especially at the ends) and I would definitely say my hair is 4b-ish…and a bit of 4c—–i don’t think her curl pattern is anywhere near tracee ellis ross—so i believe that she’s correct in placing her hair in the 4 section..i think her fro would look fairly different if she were a 3 anything

DiJah
DiJah

Reading the comments above, and all I have to say is THIS IS WHY I HATE HAIR TYPING!!

Anyways…My island ‘sista’ you have a beautiful head of hair 🙂

Kali B.
Kali B.
Reply to  DiJah

lol, I agree with you. I like it for reference purposes, but it’s pretty wack that that many are disagreeing with Jules about how she typed her own hair. I also have 4b hair, and i def. do wash & go’s 9 (re: KnWill’s statement). No 2 heads are the same, even if the texture is similar.

Beth
Beth

Descriptions are always better than divisions (that goes for race, background, etc… But I digress.) I like to hear hair described as fine, dense, coily, coarse, silky, etc — that makes much more sense to me. But I guess the typing makes it easier for some folks.
She and her hair are stunning, that pic with her hair blowing in the wind gives me life.

Anya Stephen
Anya Stephen

Jules I love how you care your hair. Its like a ritual that is to be done consistently..Beautiful and it is..Is there anything you eat to maintain the healthiness of it?

Reply to  Anya Stephen

Thanks Anya.Well in terms of diet I generally eat healthy so fruits and vegetables are a must. There is nothing specific that I can say I eat that contributes to my hair. I just care for my hair. It’s not a one off thing and let it be because I am too busy. I make sure I make the time to show my hair some love in terms of washing regularly and treating it. As a regular beach goer failing to do so the salt water would damage my hair. Like with any relationship that one expects to grow give a… Read more »

CuteKinks

You and your hair are absolutely beautiful!

Sheena M
Sheena M

So gorgeous!!

Landry
Landry

What a beautiful girl with gorgeous hair! I love how simple her regimen is and how inexpensive the products are that she uses–it goes to show that you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg to maintain healthy hair.

Butterfly
Butterfly
Reply to  Landry

Yup… Im from Barbados as well and we dont have a choice.. alot of those expensive products are not readily available here.. and if they are.. then are ridiculously expensive.. I think alot of ppl are really out to make alot of money by how they cost their products.. I certainly refuse to spend money on KBB and CD and alot of those other high end products.. not sure if it is worth it when you can get good results with other inexpensive products.

Neekah
Neekah

I read this blog a lot just to find out about products and such.… and the constant bickering about “hair classification” is quite strange, kinda hilarious, but more sad!

Reply to  Neekah

No one is bickering.Having different point of view is what challenges us to grow and makes the world interesting. 🙂

Auset

No, people are definitely bickering and presenting their ideas of what someone’s hair type is as FACT and the TRUTH. “You thought you were 4a, but I’m here to tell you girl you are 3b with a little bit of 4b sprinkled in. How dare you think that’s 4c. I see a definite curl pattern.” Blah blah blah. You caught me and my curl pattern. Oops! It’s tired, really.

fluffy in flight
fluffy in flight
Reply to  Neekah

I hate it, you don’t believe in categorizing your hair but guess what? People are sure going to find a way to categorize it for you. What’s up with that anyway.
People have a nasty habit of categorizing everything — they look at you and the questions start — What are you, are you mixed, what are you mixed with. Just accept things as they are. We are all unique just as our hair is unique and although hair may look similar, no two heads of hair are exactly alike especially when dealing with varying textures of hair.

EG
EG

Categorizig is actually a learning tool for many. While I couldn’t care less what your mixed heritage is, I would be very interested to find out if you are from the carribean, maybe we might have something in common, you’re type 4, oh me too and so on.…not every action is driven by malice.

nisha
nisha

How do you care for your skin 🙂 ??? Thank you beautiful!!!

Steph
Steph

Thanks for the advice Jules! I’m Bajan myself! Big up to all de Bajans!!!! Your hair looks great. Awesome work!

Alicia
Alicia

I wish my Afro looked like that at the beach. *sigh*

Ari
Ari

Lovely post! Not that it even matters…but her hair is definitely 4B ..saying it’s 4A and 3C is just a little off. She washes her hair often from what I picked up and that is what I believe moisturized 4B hair looks like. A lot of people whether natural or relaxed don’t wet their hair often which makes it dry out and curls NEED water. If I don’t wet my hair and just sleep on it for about 4–5 days, I get a curly fro but if I wet it almost every day like I currently do I have defined… Read more »

O0oro0O
Reply to  Ari

I agree

michele antoinette
michele antoinette
Reply to  Ari

gracias, amen a tu

Alisha

Absolutely beautiful! Woman, hair & pics!

Pecanprincess southernstyle
Pecanprincess southernstyle

Im very intrigued by that protein treatment…how long can you leave it in (since it has the egg in it)? Also…what benefit does the banana give? Me thinks i want to try that…and i LOVE the lil girl picture!!!!!

Lynnmor
Lynnmor

This is the first time I’m commenting on one of these articles and it’s simply because it is awesome to see other naturals from Barbados.….your regimen is simple and your hair is really nice.…keep up the good work!

Annie L.
Annie L.

Jules girl — you are GORGEOUS! I just love your hair and the highlights and the cute childhood photo of you! Every time I get into a style rut this site straightens me back out, Lol! There are so many fabulous looks to choose from and your fluffy mane in the photo with the blue cast has me awestruck, looks like an Indie film still! Heat and dry-combing do not work for my hair either and I really like your simple routine. I’ll be keeping tabs on your blog. Also, that mermaid pic with you flinging your hair back in the… Read more »

Reply to  Annie L.

Thank Annie L. As I said I don’t really do the hair typing thing but my hair can be so different at times and at the moment that is what it is to me. I can have the straightest of hair one day then I have curls like crazy the next. this all depends on diet and the type of conditioner I use on my hair. Regardless of the mix reviews I hope people realise that natural hair can be as healthy as you want it to be. just show it some love and not fight with it and it… Read more »

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  JulesB

Girl, I think we can say with 100% certainty that the comments AREN’T mixed about one thing, your hair is f‑a-b-u-l-o-u‑s! You’d better watermark those pictures, Lol!

keisha
keisha

so you’re the beauty behind the pic i see all the time showing differnt pics of the bglh community! beautiful hair and regimen! your pic as a little girl is adorable!

nelle
nelle

Hi Baje!!
I’m a bajan-yankee
Gorgeous Gorgeous lady & hair. What type of music do you play? Are products expensive in Barbados? I’m thinking the Caribbean needs a natural hair BIG event. Many of us have been natural all of our lives, doing corkscrews (bantu knots) and corn rows for generations. I think it’s funny that people are telling YOU what YOUR hair type is!

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Love her hair! Especially love the picture of her as a little girl.

Sophie
Sophie

beautiful! Her hair looks like mine, only hers is twice as long! I’m trying to get my hair to that length, and this gives me inspiration. I was actually having a mini hair crisis the other day because I spent time with a friend with beautiful shiny loose curls/waves, and I’ve been growing out a too-short haircut for a few months now. I thought “oh no! my hair will never be shiny!!!”, but then I remembered that it is and will continue to be coily, sheeny, soft, and sweet-smelling and all was well again. These features (no matter what letters/numbers… Read more »

Leia
Leia

Wow, some of these comments are a hot mess. The quote in question is ” I don’t do the whole hair typing thing, as my hair has a personality of its own but I guess it more falls into the 4b type I think.” NOT “I’m an expert in hair typing and I declare my hair type is.…” OR “I think hair typing sucks but mine is…” C’mon now, ladies. And I said this before. If you saw Julie-Ann in person with her hair just washed/conditioned and rocking a fro, you’d understand that she is indeed a 4B. Twist outs look wonderful on… Read more »

Jax
Jax

Looooove her mane!!

ladyluo
ladyluo

A natural beauty with fabulous hair.

KrisAnne
KrisAnne

Hi Jules! Your hair is lovely. I live in B’dos too!!! 🙂 I’m not sure why people are so hung up on what YOU consider YOUR hair type to be but this is the internet and a public forum so we can all have our say. Putting that aside, I recently started my natural hair journey for the second time in my life and I’m looking to BC in next couple of months. I was wondering where in Bim do you get your shea butter? Also, when I saw nelle’s comment about cork screws it took me back to days… Read more »

Dani
Dani
Reply to  KrisAnne

Hi KrisAnne, I’m not Jules. However I also live In B’dos.

You can find Shea Butter in several locations now: Diamond Girl, Caribbean Queen, the beauty supply store in Wildey (can’t remember the name),Collins Pharmacy (really overpriced there ‑_-), Jenn’s (also really overpriced and a really small amount)

Reply to  Dani

Hi Dani thanks for sharing the info with KrisAnne. And its crazy how over priced some places are.
Hi KrisAnne yep BGLH has become a really good way for naturals to learn more about the diversity of their hair. I keep saying all it takes is a little patience. I also had those cork screw days but I actually loved wearing mine outdoors. Folks would say I look to womanish as I was just 9–10 lol.

J
J

No one is hung upon Jules texture we are just asking if the Hair typing is useful and should it continueto be used onBGLH? People will have different opinions and that is fine.

Discussing things is important as everyone will contribute something different. 🙂

JulesB

So had to search for this photo but this is my hair after I did my honey eggs protein treatment as mentioned in the article. I did very little manipulation with my hair after the treatment, simply the usual pat & dry and then left it to air dry. As you can see my hair looks totally different from most of the photos in the article. Note as some people pointed out I did say I don’t do the hair typing thing really but some people find it useful so I attempted to state what I see my hair type… Read more »

merry
merry
Reply to  JulesB

poor thing.

lol.

i actually think part of it is because your hair doesn’t look as thick in some of the photos and it hangs down rather than sticks out like it does with a lot of 4b heads.

whatever. you’re pretty and so is your hair.

Alisha
Reply to  JulesB

Girl, your hair is fabulous any away you rock it!

Sieta

Beautiful hair.

Nini
Nini

I don’t think talking about hair types is “bickering,” but it is annoying when Style Icons are derailed for people to offer decisive opinions. Remember that article on that Arabian girl with kinky hair? It turned into an “Arabs are evil” thing, even though it did genuinely started as wondering if non-blacks with “Afro-textured hair” should be featured here. And then the comments were closed. (I also noticed the comments were closed on Yagazie (sp?) post) But let me shut up, because I’m derailing this as well XD I love your hair, and I do love when Island girls are featured. Also,… Read more »

maryse
maryse

Hi Jules,

I’m writing from Haiti. Lovely post. I looove the hair conditioner mix since those ingredients are readily available here. My hair is just as versatile. I go with 4a and i’ll try to post two pictures. Please please no one post these anywhere else!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IMG00018-20120229–1502.jpg[/img]

maryse
maryse

and another…
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IMG00077-20120407–0214.jpg[/img]

maryse
maryse

last one…- not a braid out.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IMG00473-20100131–1834.jpg[/img]

Reply to  maryse

love the look

Alisha
Reply to  maryse

Your hair is beautiful. And versatile.

Trini
Trini

It’s features like these that help me to appreciate the diversity in hair. Great job with your hair Jules.

manisimone
manisimone

Hey Julie-Ann you’re hair looks great. Love the texture and great info!. Do you perhaps have a youtube channel? Cheers!

Reply to  manisimone

Hi manisimone I don’t have a youtube channel but thinking about it 🙂

Tameron

I miss my Barbados!

Heidi
Heidi

Jules!!! I’m so glad you’ve finally been featured on BGLH. I always thought your hair was beautiful and truthfully, you’ve inspired me to take better care of my hair. I always complained that I couldn’t find proper hair care products in Barbados, or I didn’t have the time or expertise to do anything with my hair, but now I have no excuse. I remember when we were at the beach and you pulled out the concoction you had made, to apply to your hair. Man that smelled like heaven! lol.Luv ya girl!:)

Reply to  Heidi

Thanks Heidi and I am glad it inspired you to take care of your hair more. Luv u too 🙂 🙂

DejaLynn
DejaLynn

You are Simply Gorgeousness!!!!! GIve praise to the most High God for beautiful African Women who love their natural self!!!!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/CDALBUMCOVER.JPG[/img]

Kim
Kim

Wow.Love it. Love your hair and love that you live on my Island. BigUp Barbados!

latisha
latisha

Really awesome pics! Cant remember seeing anyone form the Caribbean featured before ;). Where do you source your shea butter though? before you whip it and add the oils?

Reply to  latisha

Hi thanks. I get my Shea butter from a hair store I have on my island. However, I would soon be ordering from the US (not sure where yet as I have to make sure it’s the correct Shea butter)as their supply goes pretty fast and it leaves me stranded when I most need it.

Cherryl
Cherryl

As a relatively new member to the natural hair community (stopped relaxing 9 months ago after 29 years!) I still find the typing very confusing. Reason being — I have 3 or 4 different hair textures on my head! The sides and back are light and straight, the middle is coarse and the rest all in between. I have noticed that many other people also have different hair textures too.
Anyway Jules from B’dos — like your post and your hair regime, I’m doing lots of experimenting here in Jamaica too!

Sol Maria Fernandez Knight
Sol Maria Fernandez Knight

Hi there Jules, My name is Sol Maria. I have started my natural hair journey last year in December 2012, after cutting it short, and I just love the simplicity of your hair regimen. You are also such a gorgeous young lady. You really embody true natural beauty!! I was born in Santiago de Cuba, Cuba,(SHOUT OUT all Caribbean islands!!) and my mother brought my sister and I to South Africa when I was 6 years old in 1999. My mum is a Cuban doctor, born and bred there. Living in SA for 12 years now has not always been easy,… Read more »

Sol Maria Fernandez Knight
Sol Maria Fernandez Knight

In the photo is me(right) 6yrs old, and my sister Milagros 11yrs old, before coming to SA

A
A

Omg, we went to school together!
Blast from the past right there!

I dont wanna post my name here but we were in the same year at secondary school.

Also natural all my life!
whoo!