How I Spent Just $100 on Natural Hair Products in One Year

Avatar • Jun 5, 2012

By Geniece of Beautifully Made

In another post I refuted the myth that maintaining natural hair has to be costly. In fact, I even suggested that one could meet their natural hair needs (emphasis on “needs”) for $100 yearly. In the comments section of that post someone asked me to explain how $100 could meet yearly hair expenses. Here are my tips for being natural on a budget.

When I went natural in 2004 one of the immediate advantages I appreciated was that I was no longer had to rely on a hair salon or my mom to relax my hair. Being natural gave me the freedom to take care of my hair and by extension to save money in the future. Imagine my surprise when I realized how costly some natural products are. They were twice, sometimes three times the cost of products at the beauty supply store that I used on my relaxed hair. As a result my early natural days consisted of shea butter (the fake kind from 125th street in Harlem) and black gel. When I grew serious about caring for my hair I knew I would have to revamp my products but I was still not willing to spend an arm and a leg. In the past three years I’ve learned what ingredients work for my hair and the products that work best for me. Doing so has not only made my regimen easier but has made a $100 a year hair budget feasible. Here’s how you too can build a budget friendly product list.

First a disclaimer: If you love salon brand products and each of you shampoos cost $40 this budget won’t
work for you. Now that we have that clear, here we go.

Shampoo and Conditioners: $36–40 yearly

I do not spend a lot of money on shampoos or conditioners. In fact, I have not been convinced that there is a reason to. I like Trader Joe’s products which run me about $4 per bottle. Through trial and error I found that diluting my shampoo allows me to be clean my scalp without build up. Two parts shampoo and one part water in a color applicator bottle works quite well. I also wash my hair every 2 weeks because I found that weekly washing was unnecessary manipulation. However, if your hair needs to be washed by all means WASH IT! Diluted shampoo and washing every 14 days allows one bottle of shampoo to last quite a while. Three bottles a year is enough for my hair. I use more conditioner
because I don’t dilute it and I’m heavy handed with conditioners. Still, conditioners like the Suave Professionals line and Trader Joes Nourish Spa are affordable. Five to six bottles a year at most is enough for me. Keep in mind that I have almost waist length hair so I’m using quite a bit of conditioner. I will say that I usually detangle before washing and dampen my hair before applying the conditioner to help it spread. If you wash weekly, you should be able to manage on one bottle of conditioner a month (if your hair is my length). Of course, hair density, thickness and length will influence how much conditioner you have to use.

Leave In: $30 yearly

I’m a huge fan of whole leaf aloe vera gel/juice. Adding one of 2 table spoons to 2 or 3 table spoons of my favorite water based moisturizer or leave in will not only leave my hair super soft but will stretch that product like nobody’s business. An 8 oz. product has lasted me 5–6 months doing this method and that’s when I used to wash my hair weekly. I like Giovanni’s Direct Leave in and Kinky Curly as leave ins. A large bottle of Giovanni’s Direct from TJ Max will run you about $13 and would last me about 9 months doing this method. Aloe vera ranges in price but you can get a 16 oz. bottle for 6–8 dollars.

Moisturizers/Oils/Butters: $30–50$

I don’t spend much money on hair butters or hair oils. A bottle of coconut oil, olive oil, safflower oil or amla oil will work just fine for me. I use amla oil as part of my pre-poo and one of the other three oils on my ends during the week. One bottle will last me at least 4 months. Coconut oil is the most expensive, costing between 7–10 bucks a bottle. Still, it’s a bargain. As for moisturizers, I actually like using my wash day leave in as needed throughout the week. I may buy a 16 oz. jar of a product like Bee Mine’s Moisturizer or Curly Butter. To be honest such products last me over a year. Yes more than a year! I just find that the home made leave in works so well in the winter and summer that I tend to use other products when I’m traveling. I don’t use butters too often because I find that they can be a bit heavy. Because I wash biweekly I prefer using an oil over a butter. Still, I keep unrefined shea butter on standby, which I buy in bulk for a reasonable price.

Other Products

There are other products that I may use but not consistently or often. Deep conditioners and heat protectants, for example. Often I will deep condition with my regular conditioner under a dryer and heat protectants can last me years because I use heat infrequently. I would venture to guess that I spend no more than $15 on such products in year.

Sales, In Store Alternatives and Reading Recommendations

A word to the wise: Know when there are sales on your favorite products and try to only buy during that time. During Christmas and New Years there are good sales on quite a number of natural hair products that only sell online. I usually wait until such times so that the shipping cost will be canceled out by the discounts. If you can find products that work for you hair that sell in stores that’s even better because you don’t have to worry about shipping costs. I would also recommend reading recommendations on products before doling out the cash. Everyone’s hair is different but a product with consistently poor reviews in one that may not be worth your money.

Well, there you have it! Of course, I like experimenting here and there but I’m pretty convinced that there is no magic product that is worth a ridiculous amount of money. You may not be able to use the above budget but let is serve as inspiration to reduce the products you purchase if you find that product junkism is a problem you want to tackle head on. One hundred dollars may seem like a small budget but once you get the hang of things you might surprise yourself and spend even less.

Ladies, how much money per year do you spend on products? Do you think you could spend just $100?

For more of Geniece’s haircare advice check out her YouTube channel: Beautifully Made.

La Tina
La Tina

Adding one of 2 table spoons to 2 or 3 table spoons of my favorite water based moisturizer or leave in will not only leave my hair super soft “…

This covers your ENTIRE head of waist-length hair???? Now, that is awesome!

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  La Tina

I’ve also diluted KCKT with tons of water or LOTD Inner Filet Aloe Gel and found it works exactly the same and extends its life to no end.

Sue
Sue
Reply to  Annie L.

Its true about KCKT, for some reason it did not work well for me straight out of the bottle but when I tried 2 tbsp in 8 oz of water, ditto! Now a bottle of kinky curly knot today last me for 6 months. It can stretch like no other detangler I have used and STILL be effective.

Sabrina @seriouslynatural
Reply to  Annie L.

I may need to try that. KCKT is my go to for tangles so I will be trying the adding water to the bottle ASAP. thanks for the info.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/LaborDayweekend2013.jpg[/img]

Ebncurly
Ebncurly

I’ve been natural almost 13 years and I spend between $75 — $150 a year. I actually use Ms Jessie’s products sometimes too — I buy 1 or 2 tubs at the end of the year buy one / get one and it’ll las me more than a year. The most important thing in keeping cost low is understanding what products work for my hair. My hair HATES oil based products so the first ingredient needs to be water in my conditioners and leave-ins, this cuts down on wasted money for products that don’t work. I wash my hair a lot in… Read more »

Camille
Camille
Reply to  Ebncurly

I stopped using it after the bottle ran out because I didn’t like the smell but that Ms. Jessie’s Curl Cleansing Creme lasted FOREVAH! I kept waiting for it to die but it stretched and stretched for a full year.

Someone gave it to me so I don’t really know how much it costs, but I am sure it breaks down to just pennies a week when you consider how much use you can get out of it.

So if you don’t mind putting ELECTRIC BLUE goop on your scalp, you can buy this pricey brand and still stay on budget.

DiJah
DiJah

Over the weekend I added up how much all of my products cost and it was a lil over $100, and I am still on the market for new products because some of the ones I have is not working for me anymore. Sigh!

Rachel

This budget is very much so possible. I use suave conditioners they range anywhere from
1.50 to 3.50 a bottle, I shampoo maybe once a month if that so my shampoo last more
Than 5 months. I buy the large bucket of eco styler gel for 9.99 twice a month and three
Types of oils…coconut,shea butter and grapeseed oil. I try to purchase large jars you get
More for money. So yes its possible to spend 100 or even less. But I have become a
Hair accessorie junkie, that’s were my money is spent.

laura
laura

ooohh my God i swear im gonna take all of this advices… i did the math i spend about 250 dollars per year :S im such a product junkie

Reply to  laura

Don’t feel bad I’m a hair accessorie junkie

Shannon
Shannon
Reply to  Rachel

OOOooh child, me too. I could spend $100 a season on accessories alone.

Pecanprincess southernstyle
Pecanprincess southernstyle
Reply to  Shannon

Hahahaha oh my gawsh me too!!! And i say to myself: “self, your drawer is already full…you really dont need anymore”…and as i checkout i think about which style and outfit im going to wear with my new find! Lol

Bernadette

Great post! I definitely don’t spend a lot on my hair products. Will need to sit down and hash out the exact cost though. What has helped me is: * stick to the same products — I have no need to try different things since I know what works for my hair. * I buy multiple bottles of products when they are on sale. My cheapest product is the Vo5 conditioner, which I never purchase over $0.90 and the most expensive as you stated is coconut oil, which I only use in my pre-poo,which I do every 2 weeks. It is possible ladies to… Read more »

mimi
mimi

i’ve spent so much money on hair products…it’s MY fault and not my hair’s fault…my hair grew like weeds as a kid and my mom didn’t even use conditioner to comb through it so I’m not going to blame my hair…

I don’t…I don’t even want to think about how much i have spent…even going near an approximation makes me wince. It’s been harder than normal to find anything because of health issues, i wish i’d caught on quicker!

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  mimi

{{hugs}} mimi!

Many of us tried and tested interesting, fun, new and recommended products that may have strained our relationships with our hair, significant others, bathroom shelves and most of all wallets!

I wish I’d caught on quicker too! Every time something worked great I got lazy and forgot it or got the itch and had to try something ‘new and improved’. Our adventures have at least provided ENDLESS data for others, Lol! Hope you are well in body and spirit!

lillian mae

I’m sure I spend around $100 or less simply because I stretch my products: Scalp Cleansers: ACV $4.00…probably purchase about 4x’s a year and use about 3–4 times a month (I use it for other things as well). Aztec Indian Clay $5–7.00, which I use once a month and stock up probably about 3 times a year Oils (Coconut, Olive, Castor, Amla) and Shea Butter: All with the exception of amla oil, is used in combination with shea butter ($5 for 16 oz locally) to create my sealant butter. I also make a batch for my skin (minus the castor oil).… Read more »

Rachel

If some of you are willing take the shopping challenge.…Suave conditioner 1.50(9)=13.50, tressemme 3.50(2)=7.00, You can buy these products at Family Dollar Stores, General Dollars Stores, an Fred Dollar Stores. Coconut Oil est.10.00, Grapeseed Oil est.10.00, Olive Oil est. 10.00, You can buy these at your local grocery store. Shea Butter depending the size you purchase est.10.00, Eco Styler Gel the large bucket 9.99 at your local beauty supply store. This is a grand total of 70.49 without tax. This is calculated if you like to buy your products in BULK. Happy shopping ladies. I only calculated the natural hair… Read more »

Auset

This post is right on time. I was just evaluating how to spend far less on my products. Thanks for the tips. Shampoos — I like Shea Moisture, the only liquid shampoo that does not dry my hair out. I will start diluting. But my itchy scalp needs weekly washes or all you know what would break loose. I also have to use products that don’t have colors of heavy fragrances because they irritate my scalp. I also like Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. With shampoo bars you have to make sure they don’t melt in the shower. They last much longer… Read more »

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976
Reply to  Auset

I hear you about Oyin’s spray. I only use it once or twice a week to prolong it.

Mimi
Mimi
Reply to  honeybrown1976

Splitting the bottle into two and adding equal parts of water help me extend the life of my Oyin Homemade juices. I find adding more water only adds to the benefits of it, on top of saving me money.

Auset
Reply to  Mimi

Thanks for this advice. Will definitely remember that one.

merry
merry

qhemet’s amla olive oil heavy cream — $17 giovanni leave in — three bottles for around $18 i make my own shampoo with a clay $6, spirulina, aloe juice $10 and sometimes a coconut oil mixture. i also use the clay for skin and the coconut oil for cooking. i don’t count the olive oil because i cook with it. i’ve had my castor oil and glycerin for more than a year so, not sure to include them (they are large bottles) i’m not sure how to count everything because they may have multiple uses; i would have some things… Read more »

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  merry

hmmmm merry…that cleanser sounds mighty nice. Care to provide the recipe if you haven’t already somewhere in the halls of BGLH?

Rachel

Ladies if you like to do twist outs. Make your own gels. First you need a blender or hand mixer. Second a nice size bowl. Third a container to conceal your product when finished. Now this container depends on how small or large of the product you mix…your choice. Four mix YOUR favorite oils. I mix coconut oil, grapeseed oil and shea butter together. of course I warm the shea butter a little. I pour these three oils in the bowl and blend until I feel they mixed well. Fifth I had small amounts of the ECO Styler gel at… Read more »

Beth
Beth
Reply to  Rachel

Excellent advice! I definitely plan on trying this, especially since I haven’t been very satisfied with the products I use now for my sets. Anyone know what the best ingredients to use would be if I want to make a product of very thick and waxy consistency? My fine hair won’t hold otherwise… :/

Reply to  Beth

Hey my hair is very fine as well…when you’re mixing the eco styler gel in add small amounts at a time. after mixing dip with a spoon or feel to see if its too thin or if its thick enough. The key is to add the gel in a lil at a time. If you add the right amounts of oils to the gel it also will eliminate the frizzy when you take down your two strand twist for the twist out.

Natalie
Natalie
Reply to  Beth

Beth, You need to get a product made by Murrays who sells Beeswax. I’ve never seen it in the UK I bought mine in St Lucia. http://www.murrayspomade.com/prod_details.php?id=90 Murray’s liquid beeswax is very oily so I don’t use a lot or use it often. I met a girl in St Lucia who mixed solid beeswax with castor oil for her twists out, I tried it and it works my hair was so shiny and my bantu knot out was very defined but I didn’t like the greasy feeling the liquid one was better for me even though I have very thick hair.… Read more »

Natalie
Natalie
Reply to  Rachel

Hi Rachel I make a very light liquid gel by boiling Irish moss and I add a liquid oil, shake it up and use that for tidying my edges. It also came in handy when I had extension plaits in, I don’t get a crunchy feeling either. It lasts for ages I’m still using the first batch I made in January 2012. I’ll be giving your gel a go when I next do a twist out, as I don’t want to throw away my hardly ever used Eco gel. I tried 2 tablespoons of KCKT with 1 tbsp aloe vera gel… Read more »

Reply to  Natalie

Hey Natalie

I hope it works for you. I’m like you also, this gel I make last for months at a time and I have’nt been able to compare the shine I get with the twist outs to anything else. I love it. Good Luck!

Auset

Also, check out College Curlies blog. She gives great advice on natural hair products on a budget. She recommends making your own deep conditioner by adding honey and oils to a cheapie conditioner. She uses Yes to Cucumbers. She gives other great advice, too.

Alice

Hmm…I estimate I spend maybe $50–70 per year ON “NECESSARY*” PRODUCTS. I buy a lot of drugstore products (co-wash conditioner/rinse out conditioner, stylers and shampoo) on sale or with coupons and I never pay full price for my higher end products (leave in conditioner). A pound of shea butter and a big jar of coconut oil tends to last me at least a year which helps me cut costs there too. I make my own deep conditioner by adding oils which saves a lot in the long run since I’m not spending any additional money. If I factor in products… Read more »

LM
LM

alot of the products listed aren’t available in my town and I don’t have the means to shop online. My regimen consists of 6 products: Organix shampoo($7), Herbal Essence conditioner($4), Lustrasilk or Hollywood Beauty deep conditioners($4), Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie($10), olive oil($4–5), and regular shea butter($6). I have been using these same products since starting my natural hair journey (I’m over a year in). I don’t have the money to venture and experiment with different products, and these products work just fine with my hair. The amount I am spending now is nothing compared the the $1000 I use… Read more »

intlgrrl

I’m actually a kitchen beauty girl. I make my own shampoo and I use a food mixture for deep conditioning — you know the old egg, honey and mayo standby. Then I have my detangler and a few dessert products which I use sparingly, and my staple oils that I use.

deandra
deandra

vo5 conditiner and olive oil is all i need and it adds up to like 13 dollars because I buy more than one vo5

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976

I do believe I may no more than $100 a year on my transitioning hair (2 years, 4 weeks, yay!). I only buy during sales or when I’m near the end of a jar on most of my products. I tend to shop at Target for my Sauve Almond and Shea Butter conditioner, Giovanni Shampoo, and Shea Moisture products. My go-to online products come from Oyin Handmade and I usually catch a good sale, plus it’s fairly easy to not go heavy-handed with their products. Also, I buy my EVOO from the market, which costs $4 and my coconut oil… Read more »

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976
Reply to  honeybrown1976

I forgot to add that my deep conditioner is Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment and I get that from Sally’s when they have a 2 for sale (I stock up).

lillian mae
Reply to  honeybrown1976

how long are you planning to transition? i thought 2 years was a long time for me, and I BC on June 30 🙂

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976
Reply to  lillian mae

I’m hoping to make it for three years. But, I’m getting the itch! lol Here’s hoping to at least 2.5 years.

LillianMae
Reply to  honeybrown1976

Luck to you!

Everyday I get the Big Chop Heebie Geebies!

c-dog
c-dog

Coconut oil–try the Chinese specialty store. 4 bucks.

lillian mae
Reply to  c-dog

Is the coconut oil made in China?? 😉

Cacey
Cacey

interesting. though i normally am one to say natural hair doesn’t have to be expensive, i just calculated that i’ve spent about $350 on my hair alone this year. that’s going overboard lol and you’d probly think it was fancy products but it really was a combo of products and accessories- more accessories than products, like the hair steamer and curlformers and my wigs, which i have yet to wear lol
but normally my hair doesn’t cost me this much, i promise! 😉

Lele
Lele

I don’t think I’ve ever spent more than 60 dollars in one year on hair products.

Natalee
Natalee

Informative article. I’m a PJ and I used to overspend on products, not realizing that I could purchase higher end products at a reasonable price and didn’t have to stick to strictly “cheapy” conditioner–although I do use plenty of drugstore brands. I think its very possible to spend only $100 a year on products, even for a PJ. My two cents for PJs: I started taking advantage of sales, message boards, and coupon codes. Online shopping is the best because it doesn’t require a transportation, gas money, etc. If you don’t mind driving, TJ Maxx, Target, Marshall’s, etc. sometimes stock reduced… Read more »

KaraJ
KaraJ

Interesting article, in my “product junkie days” I would buy things just to buy them and easily spend 100 in two months. Now I only buy the necisities from dollar stores (vo5, suave), Walgreens (shea moisture products bogo 50%) caribbean stores (olive oil, grapeseed oil, coconut oil, castor oil) and I must say my hair and my pockets are in better shape.

Evie
Evie

Here is how I save and cut cost on hair products: Only use products I can find in stores like Target, Whole Foods, Walgreens (I refuse to pay crazy shipping cost) Buy products when they are on sale like buy 1 get 1 50% off on Shea Moisture, Yes to carrots If I really want to try a new product try to get it in a sample size and if that’s not available I know Whole Foods and Sephora will make samples for you Try to use up the products I do have before moving on and buying new ones. If… Read more »

lillian mae
Reply to  Evie

People underestimate the power of a product swap!

Jane
Jane

I will be 1 year fully natural at the end of this month and I have spent a ton of money in this year. I have bought every type of product, herb, powder, oil, butter, tools ever mentioned on any hair board or video. I tried adding up everything I have spent in this year about two months ago and stopped when I got to $928 and I hadn’t even counted the all the money I spent during BF sales; all those $30 here, $50 there adds up real fast. That is money that could have gone to my savings… Read more »

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  Jane

But, I will not trade this experience for the world. I have enjoyed exploring and playing with products.’ — Awesome attitude!

Cheryl
Cheryl
Reply to  Jane

I feel you Jane. I have spent so much this year it is ridiculous. I’m going to try this budget for myself as well once I use up the products already purchased.

Cheryl
Cheryl
Reply to  Jane

Can someone tell me where I can purchase unrefined shea butter? Thanks!

Landry
Landry

I have been natural for 8 months starting in June, after a 10 month transition. Even BEFORE I big chopped, I invested in a hair steamer, Shea Moisture products, and over $100 of Bee Mine Products, not to mention Giovanni shampoos and conditioners. lol! Can we say overboard? After trying many products, I have found that rhassoul clay deeply cleanses my hair and scalp, without stripping it. Giovanni and even Shea Moisture Retention shampoo strip my hair. I can really use any conditioner that has good slip, and I love Carol’s Daughter butters for twist-outs. I moisturize daily with just… Read more »

Pecanprincess southernstyle
Pecanprincess southernstyle

I see a couple of people saying they make their own shampoo…can someone puhlease enlighten me as to how?

Bombshell on a budget
Bombshell on a budget

Simplest way: dissolve a wedge of African Black soap in a bowl of hot water. Bottle it up and hey presto!! Shampoo!! Simple, all natural and really really cheap. It works really well for me, it’s mild enough not to strip my hair but lathers up good for a thorough scalp cleanse. I also use it as a shower gel. I’m in at under $100 dollar too what with a natural conditioner, some oils, glycerin, honey and eggs for deep conditioning. I love spending so little money to get really fabulous results — my hair is thriving so much on… Read more »

Pecanprincess southernstyle
Pecanprincess southernstyle

Thank you so much!!! Im going to give this a try! I currently only use Carols Daughter shampoo’s…they are pricey but have really helped with dandruff…but im all about saving $$$…thanks again, heading to the farmers market tomorrow!!!

LisaLisa
LisaLisa

I want to point out an error in the piece written. She said that she uses regular conditioners as her deep conditioners. I would like to point out that there IS a difference between regular conditioners and those labeled as “deep”, “intensive” or “reconstructor.” Essentially, they have smaller molecules which are designed to penetrate the hair where “regular” conditioners are designed to smooth the outer layer of the hair. So I would caution against using regular conditioners as deep conditioners through the process of adding heat or leaving it on longer. I would also caution against mixing it with oils… Read more »

theusskimberly
theusskimberly

i really dont think this is possible for me wish it was though i have been natural for about 10 yrs and have had my locs 2 yrs i wash condition and retwist my locs weekly — well i dont always retwist im lazy sometimes but i need to lol i color every 4–6 weeks my hair is red and it fades 🙁 and deep condition every 3–4 weeks i do spritz bottles with moisturizers and leave in conditioners about twice a week and i use a little oil on my locs about once a week i wish i could use products from the corner beauty… Read more »

Teli8

I think my most expensive product was my Taliah Waajid Curl Set stuff- for $10. For me, it’s as simple as purchasing good products that are slightly less expensive then say, others. For example, as nice as I’ve heard it is, I don’t bother buying Kinky Curly products- they’re out of my $10 maximum price range for any one item. I’ve found that my Shea Moisture and Beautiful Textures products are just as good, and don’t cost me nearly as much. In fact, these days there’s plenty of natural products (that you can get in any shop really) that don’t… Read more »

Natalie
Natalie

I am so inpsired by the replies you have left. I live in the UK and KCKT is something I love but can ill afford, but I’m going to try stretching it with aloe vera gel — I have lots of the plants in the house. I hope it works a treat, it is the only product I buy all the rest I make myself to save money. Last year I went mad and bought lots of products especially oils and herbs which I use in my homemade stuff. I must have spent over £300 on hair products, this year not… Read more »

Belinda

With two daughters that are also natural, I was trying to do the math and determine if I’m spending $300/yr??!! I’m happy to say that the answer to that question is no. But, I do think it’s worth mentioning that this is an individual budget, I assume. Some differences for me include that we go through a jar of coconut oil about 1/ month or once every six weeks. However, I repurpose/ reuse the mason jar that it comes in–recycling where you can is a great way to stretch those dollars! Similarly, we use Aubrey Organics conditioners–$10–12–as a co-wash, and… Read more »

isola
isola

I am a product junkie who likes to splurge on my hair every now and then. I have locs so the products available are limited but I love trying something new. If I spend more than $100 a year, I am okay with that. I am still saving a lot of money when i think about those bi-weekly salon appointments when I rocked the perm.

TK
TK

My daughter just turned 3 and my stomach feels sick thinking about all the cash I’ve washed down the drain (literally) in ‘all-natural’ and ‘kid friendly’ products–a short while back I noticed that the ingredients for most of them were all the same, and were things I could find in the grocery store (olive oil, shea, avocado oil, aloe juice, flax)so we’ve started making our own. Adding a tiny bit of the nice smelling name brand stuff makes our whole batch smell good too 🙂

LillianMae
Reply to  TK

RE: Adding a tiny bit of the nice smelling name brand stuff makes our whole batch smell good too 🙂

Have you tried essential oils? They can give you good smelling homemade products!

elle

I can go months without buying a product and be content with using just water, shampoo and a nice hair oil.
but then i see one item that i just have to have and the floodgates open.
I start buying shampoos, conditioners, spritzes, oils, hair pins, curling rods, lotions, bars of soap, and everythang else. I just get crazy.
until i feel guilty (especially when most of the products dont really do anything for me) then the buying stops and i get back on a more appropriate regimen.

HaitIanGroove
HaitIanGroove

I’ve seriously been thinking about going natural the cost of a weave, perm and maintenance is just too much.
This article really put it in perspective. Bookmarked!

Pat
Pat
Reply to  HaitIanGroove

Great idea, this is one of the many reasons that I went natural. I save so much money, never wore weaves. I spent money trying to correct damage from a relaxer and had to give up the chemicals and I’m so glad that I did. It is very cost effective for me being natural.

Shirley
Shirley

I’ve only been natural a year, and still consider myself a newbie. I was pretty much only using Miss Jessie’s, did the BOGO during the holidays. No longer, fragrances that are too strong and pricey for a product that includes parabens, cones, etc. Miss Jessie’s is not all bad, but there are more affordable and healthier products out there. I give them credit for foraging a path for natural hair products, and being a African-descent female owned business. I still consider myself a newbie especially since I’ve not found my “holy grail” yet, when I do maintaining my hair will… Read more »

Zinta
Zinta

Amla oil that is sold here is not pure. It has mineral oil in it and that brand stinks and smells quite strong. I thought we were supposed to avoid products with mineral oil. It is an endocrine disruptor.

Lucky
Lucky
Reply to  Zinta

I got some amla oil from a Middle Eastern store. The brand was either Hesh or Dabur. I didn’t have my glasses to read the ingredients, but I trusted that it was the real thing. When I got home I quickly put on my glasses and read the ingredients list. The first ingredient was mineral oil. I threw all four bottles away and logged on to Mountain Rose Herbs to get some pure amla oil.

Aviva Jaye

I LOVE that you mentioned Trader Joe’s shampoo and conditioner! I use their Nourish Spa as my main conditioner, and I also make a leave-in out of it, sometimes adding a pinch of oil (usually olive). I have worn my hair without chemical processing since late 2008 and natural (not-straightened) since spring 2009, and I’ve definitely been on a budget the whole time. I am a fan of making what I can with natural products and have been excited to see how much money I have saved by not trying product after product. I love to splurge every now and… Read more »

Shae
Shae
Reply to  Aviva Jaye

Doesn’t the cost of coconut oil, organic, virgin, cold pressed coconut oil make it expensive to use for hair and skin?

Erica Ardali

I am a huge fan of Miss Jessie’s so I can spend more than $100 in one trip to Target. There is a new Natural hair beauty supply store in my area. I think I’ll check them out and see if there are other brands.