Real Style: 8 Gorgeous Protective Styles from the BGLH Forum

Avatar • May 23, 2012

We regularly advocate protective and low manipulation styling here on BGLH, but we always wonder how readers actually put it into practice. We decided to check out the BGLH community forum to see how you all were approaching protective styling and we came across some gorgeous looks. Check it out;

Cinnabun Frohawk (by Raven Hill)

Pinned Up Twists (by Le’Marqunita Lowe)

Bun with Pompadour (by Deidre Leigh)

Chunky Twists & Flat Twists (by Le’Marqunita Lowe)

Box Braid Bun (by Adrienne Michelle)

Senegalese Twists (by Wagamama)

Mini Twists (by Ahzjah Williams)

Chunky Twist Extensions (by Zoey Jewel)

Amazing! Ladies, which style is your favorite? Which would you rock?

KiraNicole

The cinnabun frohawk is giving me LIFE

Tesha
Tesha
Reply to  KiraNicole

Pecanprincess southernstyle
Pecanprincess southernstyle
Reply to  Tesha

Oh em gee!!!! Ditto skittle…can i puhlease get a tutorial????

Kemi

I love the Bun and Pomp! That’s right up my alley. I still need to attempt the Bun.

Khy
Khy

You already know I’m diggin’ the cinnabun frohawk and I’ll definitely give the bun with pompadour a try. With the scarf it is TOO CUTE!!!

Fii
Fii

Hot to death ladies! Loving them all!

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Fii

+1 =)

mzchocolate
mzchocolate

Mini twist are my ultimate favorite protective style!!!

Cathey Poindexter-Taylor
Cathey Poindexter-Taylor

I would rock the Cinnabun Frohawk, Bun with Pompadour, Senegalese Twists(soon) and Chunky Twists.

Natalie
Natalie

I can’t choose a favourite they are all amazing … they need to post tutorials on all of them.

O0oro0O

Me love mini-twist so… But all the styles are gorgeous and the ladies who wear them too ^-^

Former Dread
Former Dread

Those mini-twists would give my hair drama after the fact. No thanks! But I love the cornrows with the tuck & fold — amazing. And I love the bun and the bouffant bangs. I might have to try those. It is my wash day, and now I am inspired. 🙂

Marsha
Marsha

I really like the second one! You have to have A LOT of hair for that one though. I used to really dread doing protective styles all the time ugh! But these are really cute. I just started using this product I got @ http://www.thegudstuff.com. My girlfriend told me about it. She found out about it on BGLH. It has really helped my protective styling to stay sooo soft. Geez Im so glad I finally found something that works. I tried shea moisture but it made my hair sticky and product heavy. Yuk. Thanks to all the ladies who uploaded… Read more »

Carla

They are all beautiful! I have to try the Senegalese twists 🙂

zyaran
zyaran

Those hairstyles are gorgeous, and the frohawk style “Wow” just in awe of it. Did you do the style yourself or professionally done? Me I would be like a tiger just moving all in that seat, because I’m so tenderheaded.lol…lol.…

Deidre Leigh
Deidre Leigh

Awww!!! My pictures got featured!!!! I don’t believe it! I feel so special! lol :oD

beth
beth

I would never wear the cinnabun frohawk but I love the twist styles!

Monique
Monique

The bun with the pompadour.

krs2
krs2

The frohawk is amazing!

Toya O
Toya O

oooo…the bun with the pomp…omg! Trying it NOW!

jen
jen

I love the first one but I can’t wear them due to baldness to the edges middle all over

Jodi
Jodi

I usually rock twists but right now I have my hair done in small braids.

KAN
KAN

That bun with the pomp is HOT!!! I can’t do twists, they lock up if I leave them in for more that 3 days…who wants to redo them that often…I wish I could…Is there a vid for that bun w/ pomp, tho????!!

smartsx
smartsx

any recommendations for something work safe? *embarrassed face*

Natalee
Natalee
Reply to  smartsx

No need to be embarrassed, I just got comfortable wearing twists and I’ve been natural for 3+ years. I think the most work friendly would probably be braids and twists that can be put into multiple styles i.e. a ponytail. A bun is always a simple way to go, too.

Sue
Sue
Reply to  smartsx

Search for the cinnabun style online, a little more interesting than a plain bun but I think it’s work appropriate. You can jazz it up with scarves for other occasions. You can also do the frohawk(similar to the one above) but braid the hair all the way to the end. The front can be done in twists which can be styled as a swoop on one side or pompadour if you are more daring.Leaving the hair in the middle out in the fro-hawk above makes the style more bold IMO which may not be appreciated in some settings. Depending on… Read more »

Natalee
Natalee

I’ve done single braids myself-all of nine hours and I won’t mention the take down…But I have got to try mini twists this fall/winter!

African Mami

The last girl! She got a red lip. Red is my favorite color! She wins on that premise alone.

Nikki

Cinnabun Frohawk and Bun with Pompadour!! Yes, PLEASE!!

Stevie

The cinnabun and Pompadour are perfect! Was thinking about a style for the beach and these are right on time

Amber
Amber

that cornrow/cinnabun look is the business. My hair isn’t nearly thick enough to pull something like off. Simply gorgeous!

The others were great too, but that was my fave!

CurlPlease

I can’t choose! They are all GORG!

Sieta

I love those protective styles, really gets me creative.

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

HOT~

E
E

I’m loving that Bun with Pompadour look (the whole look…outfit and all). I must try that soon.

Michelle @Radiant Brown Beauty

I really like #2.

Natalie
Natalie

Bun with Pompadour would be my choice. I like the cornrow style but shudder at the thought of taking out, I just don’t have the patience and would lose hair. For me, a protective style has to be very easy to do, I can’t stand all that faffing about. I don’t think I’ll ever wear extension braids again, loved them but too much hassle. Ditto mini twists I just don’t understand why people do them although they do look lovely.

udee
udee

Crochet braiding!!

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Those chunky twists/flat twist look stunning! All the photos are beautiful tbh!

bosa
bosa

That bun+pomp= off the chain!

PrettyJess
PrettyJess

I love the bun and pomp. I really need to try that style. Also, those chunky rope twists are super cute.

Pineapplegrl
Pineapplegrl

They r kind of ugly d only one I like is the kinky twist, just my opinion..sorry

Zoey
Zoey

Didn’t even realize my pic was featured :-))) awesome stuff! Thank you!

Robrfi27

[p]We lousy [url=http://www.cheapmbtshoessalee.com]cheap mbt shoes[/url] acclaim M . Consequently per se, This one enterprise is successful . If your feet feel sweaty, Then your socks can certainly get damp and start to feel heavy . cozy walking Adidas Js Wings laced through MBT shoes has its unique character the first world War emerged MBT . Recently, Other individuals may very well be adding [url=http://www.cheapmbtshoessalee.com]mbt shoes sale[/url] in with regards to the increasing enthrallment in this manner of the proper slippers . Don’t think that only high heels not astonishing is the best you rebuke the workplace “boots”, sometimes, a pair… Read more »

Summerra
Summerra

Hi everyone!

Our family has been selling houses in Dallas for over 9 years. Now we are trying to boost our business and we are persuing ways to advertise our listing on classifieds websites. We have a feed, but after 2 hours of googling we have found only oodle where properties feeds are accepted. No feeds support on Craigslist, ebayclassifieds. 🙁
Does somebody know more well ranking classifieds websites where feed is accepted?

Summer

LoraAndAlex
LoraAndAlex

Hi everyone!

Our company has been selling houses in Charlotte for over 7 years. Now we are trying to expand our business and we are searching for ways to advertise our listing on classifieds. We have a feed, but after 3 hours of googling we have found only oodle where houses feeds are accepted. No feeds support on Craigslist, ebayclassifieds. 🙁
Does anyone know more online classifieds websites where bulk posting is allowed?

Regards