Nikkia // 4B Styling

Avatar • May 1, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

How would you describe your texture?
N:
My hair is pretty thick and course, but very soft. I have multiple textures all over my head. My coils are tight and kinky especially on the sides of my head and in the back, more than likely 4b/c texture. The front and top of my head is more loose and probably 3c/4a in texture. It takes forever to dry too which is a pain and it’s also very frizzy so it doesn’t always behave too well either.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
N:
Braid outs and twist outs are the main styles I wear during the month. My hair is always out which is something I really need to change and it’s finally long enough for the braids to stay in so braid outs have been my new best friend lately. This style also stretches my hair out better than a twist out would, which is great since I get a lot shrinkage. Once I’m tired of my hair being out or my hairstyle becomes too frizzy I just wear a good ole puff. Lately I’ve been using Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in and coconut oil to style my braid/twist outs. I used to be a product junkie back in my early natural days and I think I need a change in my products, so I’ll be headed back there shortly I’m sure.

What does wash day look like for you?
N:
Wash day happens every Sunday no matter what. I have to wash in the shower and it does take me a while to do so. Actually the whole day is considered wash day lol. I used to wash in sections, but my scalp wouldn’t feel as squeaky clean doing it that way. And even though my hair is thick washing it all out at once feels a lot better and I feel like my fingertips get to every part on my scalp. The shampoo I use is Giovanni Deep Moisture Shampoo. I like it because it doesn’t dry my hair out, but I might need to get something else because I do get a lot of product build up on my scalp. After I shampoo I apply Herbal Essences Hello Hydration all over my head and then divide it into 4 sections. I then detangle each section with a wide tooth comb and then braid it. I let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse the conditioner out with cool water.

I then towel dry my hair by squeezing it to get all the water out. Then I apply Giovanni Direct Leave-in to my hair and rebraid it. I let it air dry at least 75%, undo the braids, work some product through and braid again in smaller sections to help stretch it out even further. It’s usually bedtime by this point so once I’ve finished my hair I put on my satin bonnet and call it a night.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style?
N:
Can never go wrong with the good ole puff, especially with a pompadour in the front!! Once my hair is longer I’ll probably stop styling it a lot more and wear high buns and such, but for now the puff is what I do.

How do you combat shrinkage?
N:
Shrinkage is probably my worst enemy when it comes to this hair of mine. I try to let it air dry in braids or a high messy bun for as long as possible before I style it because if I do while it’s wet the shrinkage is crazy. I used to blow dry my hair a lot to stretch it, but I think I’ve experienced some heat damage which I will eventually have to cut off (womp womp), so I’m gonna try to do a no heat challenge for a year. So far so good 🙂

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require extra care and attention?
N:
My hair may look healthy, but my ends really are the worst it seems. They truly need some TLC. I’ve learned to seal my ends and trim/dust them as well and I’ve been doing so for a while now but I still seem to get plenty of knots and tangles and single stranded knots too. My hair does shed a lot too. I’m gonna eventually big chop again and just start over since I know what to do now with my hair and I know what it likes and doesn’t like.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
N:
WATER!!! It’s a must, but I do need to start putting more on the inside of my body as well. My hair also loves creams and oils, not too much butters anymore.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
N:
I can never ever do a wash & go!! I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or if my hair is just too thick and kinky, but it ain’t happening lol. My hair shrinks so much it almost makes me angry. Then it tangles really really bad so I just stay far away from wash & gos. Also shea butter and olive oil. I used to be a fan of it, but since my hair is growing longer it just doesn’t like it. Weighs my hair down and builds up on my scalp fast, which is no bueno.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
N:
Tumblr: naturallynikkia.tumblr.com, Instagram: @NikkiaMAC, Twitter which I’m rarely on: @NaturallyNikkia

About Meosha

Tabitha
Tabitha

I loved this particular post because it shows the reality of what us natural girls go through as we learn more about our hair. Not everyone has the “perfect hair regimen” or the perfect solution to how they tame their hair. I have been natural for a year and 4 months now and I still have bad hair days and questions about sealing, deep conditioning, styling, etc. but it keeps me informed and well in-the-know. I just love how Nikkia kept it REAL and showed that it is ok to have to start all over (but I think your hair… Read more »

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  Tabitha

I really liked this post for the same reasons as Tabitha. Everything Nikkia said about her hair seemed so optimistic, patient and at-ease. She knew what she knew, acknowledged what she didn’t and seemed curious and excited about discovering more. Great cloudy canopy of curls and waves and pretty pictures!

Amanda M.
Amanda M.

This is the first time I think I found a hair twin. It’s easy to feel all alone even in the natural hair community because not everything works from person to person. This post just gave me a lot of encouragement.

Natalie
Natalie

Loved this post! I agree, Amanda, I think Nikkia and I have the same sort of hair! I’ve been trying a lot of the regimens she is–twist outs, drinking more water, oil over butters–and I find that it’s working. I suffer from shrinkage too and my hair gets SO tight, just like hers. I know all hair is different, but it is great to find a kindred hair spirit.

Cee
Cee

How did you do that style in the blue shirt? I like it. I cant ever get my sides smooth. How do u get them smooth or what do u use?

Mary
Mary
Reply to  Cee

I can’t either. Not like hers is in that photo anyway. I think it might come down to hair type and not technique and products. 🙁 I solved my frizzy edges problem by either doing a flat twist or cornrow across the front of my head. My edges are left that way for a day or two (helping them to grow in) and I don’t have to worry about frizz.

Reply to  Cee

I think I just used eco styler gel, the one with olive oil. My hair was shorter here so I just put the back in a puff and the front shaped it so that it was a lil puff ball pompadour type of thing lol

Cee
Cee

Also, I have a question about the Cantu products. Are they completely natural? I hear a lot of people using them but am I still weary.

Reply to  Cee

I don’t think they are because they have silicone in it. I really wanna try other products like Miss Jessie’s buttercream and whatnot but its just so pricey. One day I’ll give in but for now I’m cheap and the Cantu is working for now lol

sosoulful_0125
sosoulful_0125

Love this post!!! Love that she is so honest about her hair “My hair may look healthy, but my ends really are the worst it seems.” I have the same exact problem.

Lotus
Lotus

Pretty hair, pretty lady. I enjoyed the simplicity of your interview. I think my hair may be 3c but your interview read like a description of my hair! Only difference is that shea butter still works for me. Thanks for sharing!

Mary
Mary

I agree with the other commentors that it’s nice to see someone being honest about their hair rather than the usual “well, my hair is just wonderfully easy to care for and all I use is overpriced natural products a,b&c on it when I remember to.”

All joking aside I’m surprised to see how many naturals are still using HH. I used that stuff for a whole year wondering why my hair was always frizzy, dull, and breaking only to realize HH was coating my fine hair and keeping moisture out!

Reply to  Mary

I actually want to try a new conditioner. I like HH because of the slip it has and makes detangling a breeze. If you use something different please let me know!! I wanna try something new especially since my hair is so frizzy and I live in Florida so its already summertime here lol

Mary
Mary
Reply to  Nikkia

I’m in FL too! I never come across any profiles of naturals living in humid climates so half the product recommendations I see online are useless to me in this heat and humidity. lol I don’t use regular conditioner anymore just Pantene Fine Hair Solutions Detangler as a leave in. (I detangle my hair dry because doing it wet was giving me SSKs.)I know that’s gonna sound crazy but like I said HH was coating my hair so I figured any other conditioner was likely to do the same thing. So now after I wash my hair and make sure… Read more »

Beth
Beth
Reply to  Mary

Oh wow I love HH! But I have sinced moved to Aussie Moist/Volume since I wanted to try something new…but Aussie doesn’t give me the shine that HH does.

She is so fresh-faced and her smile is to die for! Love the simplicity of her regimen too.

Mary
Mary
Reply to  Beth

Yeah HH does give awesome shine but it was just too heavy for my hair type and the Pantene detangler makes my hair just as shiny. 🙂 The HH I have left sure makes a great shaving cream though! lol

Mai
Mai

Gorgeous hair and beautiful girl. My hair also doesn’t play well with shea butter either, it prefers oils.

Also can we continue these Styling Features! While I do love the Natural Hair Style Icon Features, the Styling Features have more information on care and styling of hair and proves that not everyone has the same head of hair.

B
B

Wow..you braid then unbraid your hair 3 times when you wash it…
Why not combined the last two braiding sessions into one??

Reply to  B

Well the braids I do in the shower with the conditioner are messy but I rebraid again to stretch it out because if I let it dry from soaking wet braids I get lots of shrinkage which I can’t stand. It all goes by quick though once I’ve washed my hair & detangled it, that’s the longest part.

Nicole
Nicole

Hair twin, is that you?

mackenzie

Holy cow! I think everyone on here feels the same way. I even think we have the same interesting mix of textures in the same places. Usually, I twist it while wet and do most of what she does, but thanks for your honest. Might feel bold enough to post my regimen soon 🙂

Nikkia

Thanks so much everybody!! I really do appreciate all the positive feedback. I was so nervous to do this because I am such a shy person and I know that my hair isn’t the best nor perfect and I just wanted to be honest about it. I’m most certainly willing to learn more and improve on my hair and also with what products I use too. But again thank you, means a whole lot 🙂

niki
niki
Reply to  Nikkia

I had to read this mainly because we share the same name! lol just being honest. We also seem to share the same hair problems. I love the pics though, especially the vibrant blue top.

Reply to  niki

Lol aww thank you 🙂

EG
EG

Beautiful hair, beautiful lady.

nelle
nelle

love this interview, love the new format also. I like the way you try to position the photos near quotes about that particular picture, much easier to read.

Samantha
Samantha

Beautiful Hair!! Im 4B mostly myself except for in the crown…
I found this article that HELPED ME a lot. With some basic things that I don’t have and didn’t realize I needed to have in order to properly care for my hair…http://on.fb.me/8‑Must-Have-Tools-4-Naturalistas