Cayce // Multi-Texture Style Icon

Avatar • May 8, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

How would you describe your texture?
C:
I would definitely say I have multiple textures within my head. The back is very very fine with some curls and loose waves. The middle and top are the thickest and coarsest part of my head definitely type 4a/b. The sides and very front are more 3 a/b texture. It’s an entire playground of curls on my head lol!

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
C:
My style regimen is pretty simple over the course of the month. I wash every 7–10 days and maintain a styled braid out or twist out until next wash day. When I have my henna supply stocked up (www.mehandi.com), I usually incorporate a Henna treatment alternating with protein treatments during the month as well to help retain length and cut down on excessive breakage and shedding. After wash day is when I usually moisturize my hair with a butter based moisturizer and put it braids or twists for the week, sometimes a protective style like cornrows or French braids. From that point on it’s just a matter of maintaining with braids or twists and moisturizing and resealing my ends every night.

Some of the products I use on a regular basis are:
Jane Carter’s Leave in Conditioner, or most recently Twisted Sista’s Leave in Conditioner to lightly dampen my hair. Or just water lol.

For my butter based moisturizers I use anything From Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter, Camille Rose Naturals Twisting Butter, Jamaican Mango and Lime Locking Wax, Design Essentials Curl Stretching Crème, Karen’s Body Beautiful Hair Cream…the list can go on for days lol. I like to try to switch it up every once in a while so my hair doesn’t get to used to any one product. Plus there’s so many different one’s to try lol.

For oils I love coconut, castor, rose, and jojoba oil. The majority of the time I use Carol’s Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey to take down my braids or twists.

What does wash day look like for you?
C:
My wash day consists of pre-pooing and finger detangling on dry hair the night before with oil (usually coconut) and a light cheapie conditioner. After I detangle each section I put in braids to keep it from tangling up again. The next day or same day depending on how much time I have, I co-wash with any conditioner I have lying around, and then coat my strands with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (my savior) which is what I also use to fully detangle my soaking wet hair with a paddle brush. I also incorporate the Aphoghee Keratin Two Minute Protein Treatment. After thoroughly detangling and getting out all the shed hair, I put my hair back in braids and proceed to deep conditioning with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose mixed with Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner. I let it sit anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple hours and sometimes I use my Huetiful Hair Steamer. Depends on my schedule and how much time I have available. Afterwards, I rinse the DC out and apply either Giovanni Leave in Conditioner or Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Leave in Conditioner and an oil to seal.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style?
C:
puff, Puff, PUFF!!! I can’t say it enough. I don’t have to do anything but slick my edges, wrap my goody band around twice and fluff to my desire. No matter how stretched or shrunken my hair is, a puff always manages to look great when I need it to in a pinch.

How do you combat shrinkage?
C:
I combat shrinkage by keeping my hair in a stretched state 90 % of the time by wearing braid outs and twist outs or blow drying my hair. Although I don’t use my blow dryer very often. I prefer styling my hair in its dry state or slightly damp.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require extra care and attention?
C:
My problem areas occur around the middle parts of my head. Their the kinkiest and the shortest, so I have to take extra care of those parts to ensure their adequately handled and moisturized. This prevents breakage, knots, etc.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
C:
Keeping my hair stretched and moisturizing and sealing my ends on a daily basis.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
C:
Wash and go’s are a BIG no no for me unless I want tangles, breakage and matting for days!! Also going to sleep with my hair all out with no bonnet or scarf…not a good look!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
C:
Facebook.com/caycelashea, Kasheluv.tumblr.com, Instagram: Kasheluv

About Meosha

Jaslene
Jaslene

She looks a little bit like Kelly Rowland.

mangomadness
mangomadness

I love her hairstyles–especially the sock bun because it resembles the ones I wear regularly.

Beth
Beth

Beautiful! She does favor Kelly. And her hair is very similar to mine. I like this “Multitexture” series because that sure describes my hair!

GiGi
GiGi
Reply to  Beth

I agree I love her hair as well as this series! I believe my hair is a mixture of 3b — 4b

merry
merry

very pretty

Wanett

We are hair twins. The middle of mine is like it was taken from another head of hair entirely. I need to step up my moisture game, your hair looks so healthy and beautiful!

yasmin
yasmin
Reply to  Wanett

oh my gosh.. when i read her middle of her hair is shorter than the REST i was like thank Gosh i am not the only one..It weird but every part from CENTRE don’t grow fast..

Wanett..i know what you mean with the centre taken from another person head..

Justina Nicole
Justina Nicole

As Cayce’s Best Friend and Natural Hair Sister, I must say her hair is absolutely without a doubt BEAUTIFUL !!!! With her great advice about healthy hair and the do’s and dont’s of natural hair; she is on point!!!!! Two thumbs up and two SNAPS for Natural/Healthy hair !!!! Go Cayce !!! P.S. Those pictures are GORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGEOUS HONEY !!!

Cayce
Cayce
Reply to  Justina Nicole

You are sooo crazy! LOL love you bff!!

Star
Star

She is a pretty girl and her hair looks so healthy and moisturized!

I can definitely see the resemblance to Kelly Rowland–they both have great skin as well.

Landry
Landry

Cayce, I see that you cowash with Hello Hydration. Do you ever use shampoo, and if so, how often?

Your hair looks great!

Thanks,

L

Cayce
Cayce
Reply to  Landry

Hey Landry,

Thank you! No I don’t incorporate shampoo into my normal routine unless my hair just has alot of buildup and needs to be washed or it gets extremely dirty from the elements one way or another. Other than that, co-wash it is!

Landry
Landry
Reply to  Cayce

Thanks for your response Cayce! I am going to start cowashing more and will shampoo maybe once a month. I try to work out at least 2–3 times a week so sometimes I sweat in my head.

I’m looking forward to having more time on my hands b/c the pre-poo, shampoo, condition process can take a while!

-L

Cayce
Cayce

Thanks for all the love ladies!!! Greatly appreciated! 🙂

B. Natural
B. Natural

Gorgeous!

Annie L.
Annie L.

These interviews are just packed with information! Loved all of the photos, especially the shaved one — great look — and gorgeous legs!

Dee (durelene)
Dee (durelene)

BEAUTIFUL.NATURAL, BEAUTIFUL HAIR

Whitney
Whitney

I love your hair!! It is pretty similar to mine. Cayce, how do you achieve that bun in the pic above?

Cayce
Cayce
Reply to  Whitney

Thankyou! It’s a sock bun I made…pulled hair into middle of my head for a ponytail, secured sock bun around it and there ya go! the front of my hair isn’t long enough to go all the way back so I just twisted it and bobby pinned it back to blend in with the rest of my hair.

Monz03b
Monz03b

Cayce, you are a lovely woman and your HAIR! Beautiful *gasps* I so need to try Hello Hydration! I am diggin that sock bun. Did you use a knee high sock to make your bun bigger? Your hair rocks!

Cayce
Cayce
Reply to  Monz03b

Thankyou! Appreciate the love 🙂 I just used an old men’s sock that comes up the ankles to create the bun, but not exactly knee high. Hope this helps!

Pamela Nicole
Pamela Nicole

Beautiful Hair! Beautiful Pictures!

brenda whaley

love your hair..how often do you use henna and aph0gee? do you apply products to your hair daily? if so what products. i can’t seem to get my hair to stand up like yours. my longest area is my middle section..my front area is bang length(7″) i apply vatika oil daily is that to much. can you do a you tube video on how you achieve your sock hair style. thank you for listening.