Alicia Keys and Monica Rock Elegant Braids at the Billboard Music Awards

Avatar • May 21, 2012

Photos via TheYBF.com

So, *sigh* it was slim pickings at the Billboard Music Awards as far as natural hair was concerned, but we did notice a gorgeous trend that would translate well to textured hair. Both Alicia Keys and Monica rocked elegant single braids. Alicia’s braid was set atop her crown and wrapped along the right side of her face while Monica positioned her braid from her ears and along the nape of her neck. Of course, both looks seem to have been accomplished with the use of extensions.

What do you think of the looks ladies? Would you re-create them on natural hair? More pictures are below.

Zenith
Zenith

I loved Alicia’s look- glamorous and elegant with a splash of creativity (earrings and hand jewelry). More importantly, I loved her performance with Stevie Wonder. Her talent amazes me and is refreshing to see. I wish more of young Hollywood would seek to gain true talent rather than resort to wearing promiscuous clothing and gyrating body movements. As far as the hairstyles go, although donte personally wear hair attachments, I don’t have a problem with these ladies using extensions to create the beauty of the style. Many naturals also wear weaves and extensions for hairstyle enhancement. At least they didn’t… Read more »

lindy
lindy
Reply to  Zenith

What are promiscuous clothing?

zyaran
zyaran

Brandi was there with a natural wig on and it looked great on her along with the outfit.

Source thelavalizard.com
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/images11.jpg[/img]

Source online gma
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/2012–05-21T003150Z_01_LAV229_RTRIDSP_3_BILLBOARD-AWARDS1.jpg[/img]

Alisha
Reply to  zyaran

I was thinking of Brandy, too. She looked amazing.

kg.sunshine
kg.sunshine
Reply to  zyaran

Brandy looks stunning! This wig or weave looks better than ANYTHING she has ever put in her hair & I’m a long term fan. I love this hair.

zyaran
zyaran

I would probably rock the style from Monica. Alicia hairstyle would kill my edges because it appears to be so tight and high with the braid style.

Liz
Liz

Damn is Monica wearing stilts?!? lol

Jaida

Both Monica & Alicia’s hairstyles were gorgeous and I could definitely see some gurus replicating these looks on Youtube. I liked Brandy’s hair because it was a big change for her and I love big hair!

meredith ezinma

They all look gorgeous. I especially love Alica’s elegant do. I agree with Jaida: Brandy looks awesome rockin those curls!

Check out my blog: The Sweet Tamarind
I’ve been natural for seven years and I love it.

meredith ezinma

There is the web address for my blog!

Elle
Elle

mmmh I am not sold on these hairstyles…especially Alicia Keys’ I don’t like super slick updos and cannot stand when the ponytail or braid looks a different texture from the real hair.

Brandy owned both A Keys and Monica with her curly wig.

Alice

I love both of them! And this is excellent timing because I have a formal event coming up and was having trouble figuring out how to do my hair 🙂
Alice