Natural Hair Type Guide: Which Type Are You?

Avatar • Mar 27, 2012

Photo Source

Over the past few months several readers have asked us to break down hair typing. Whether or not you feel that hair typing is important, the fact remains that it can be difficult to follow along with online discussions without knowing the various texture references. After some searching we found NaturallyCurly.com’s hair typing guide to be the most comprehensive — although it does not include a type 4c category — so we’ve included excerpts here.

Type 4 — Kinky Hair

• Type 4 is kinky, or very tightly curled, with a clearly visible curl pattern
• Circumference: Crochet needle or even smaller
• The hair is very wiry, very tightly coiled and very, very fragile
• Type 4 hair can range from fine/thin to wiry/coarse with lots and lots of strands densely packed together
• Type 4 hair has fewer cuticle layers than any other hair type, which means that it has less natural protection from the damage you inflict by combing, brushing, curling, blow-drying and straightening it
• Type 4 hair is known to shrink up to 75% of the actual hair length

There are two Type 4 subtypes:
•4b: Has a “Z” pattern, less of a defined curl pattern. Instead of curling or coiling, the hair bends in sharp angles like the letter “Z”; has a cotton-like feel
•4b celebrities: Shingai Shoniwa

Shingai Shoniwa, 4b hair

•4a: Tightly coiled hair that, when stretched, has an “S” pattern, much like curly hair. It tends to have more moisture than 4b; has a definite curl pattern
•4a celebrities: Esperanza Spalding

Esperanza Spalding, 4a hair

Tips
• Use styling creams, butters and oils for type 4 hair
• This hair type needs extra moisture and tender-loving care because it can be fragile
• Detangle hair with a lot of conditioner in your hair and use a comb or detangling brush
• Let hair air dry or use a hood dryer
• Do not use a brush or comb on your dry curls
• Reduce tangles by sleeping on a satin pillowcase or wrap hair in a satin cap

Type 3c — Curly Kinky Hair

Subtype 3c is really more than a subtype. It’s a type NaturallyCurly members developed because the original system left out this hair type, which falls between 3b and 4a, having its own special characteristics.

• Type 3c hair has tight curls in corkscrews
• Circumference: Pencil or straw
• The curls can be either kinky, or very tightly curled, with lots and lots of strands densely packed together
• Getting this type of hair to blow dry straight is more challenging than for 3a or 3b, but it usually can be done
• The very tight curls are usually fine in texture
• 3c celebrities: Alicia Keyes, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Tracee Ellis Ross

Tracee Ellis Ross, 3c hair

Tips
• Use styling creams, butters and oils for type 3c hair
• Do not use a brush or comb on your dry curls
• Reduce tangles by sleeping on a satin pillowcase or wrap hair in a satin cap

Type 3 — Curly Hair

• There is a definite loopy “S” pattern
• Curls are well-defined and springy
• Type 3 hair has a lot of body; it is easily styled in its natural state or straightened with a blow-dryer
• It isn’t coarse, like many believe, but soft and very fine—there’s just a lot of it
• Combinations of Type 3a and 3b curls are common

There are two Type 3 subtypes:
•3b: Medium amount of curl, from bouncy ringlets to tight corkscrews.
Circumference: Sharpie size
•3b celebrities: Keri Russell, Bernadette Peters, Melina Kankaredes

Keri Russel, 3b hair

•3a: Curls are naturally big, loose and usually very shiny.
Circumference: sidewalk-chalk size
•3a celebrities: AnnaLynne McCord, Debra Messing

Debra Messing, 3a hair

Tips
• 3a’s: Use gels and creams that offer light moisture and curl definition
• 3b’s: Use gels and styling creams with extra moisture and serious frizz control
• Use duckbill clips on the crown of your head to lift top curls
• Let hair air dry or use a diffuser
• Once your curls are dry, rub a little pomade into the palm of your hands and smooth over your hair gently
• Do not use a brush or comb on your dry curls
• Reduce tangles by sleeping on a satin pillowcase

Type 2 — Wavy Hair

• The wave or curl forms throughout the hair in the shape of the letter “S”
• Type 2 hair sticks close to the head; it won’t bounce up, even when layered

There are three Type 2 subtypes:
•2c: Thick and coarse and more resistant to styling and will frizz easily
•2c celebrities: Jennifer Nettles, Daisy Fuentes, Brittany Snow
•2b: Medium-textured and a little resistant to styling; has a tendency to frizz
•2b celebrities: Joss Stone, Nelly Furtado, Carrie Underwood
•2a: Fine, thin and very easy to handle; easily straightened or curled
•2a celebrities: Scarlett Johansson, Naomi Watts, Cate Blanchett

Tips
• Use lighter products such as mousses or gels that enhance curls, but don’t weigh them down
• Use duckbill clips on the crown of your head to lift top curls
• Let hair air dry or use a diffuser
• Do not use a brush or comb on your dry curls
• Reduce tangles by sleeping on a satin pillowcase

Ladies, which hair type are you?

Ren
Ren

So what about 4c then?

Ren
Ren
Reply to  Ren

I would love a good description for 4c.…anybody?

Nubian
Nubian

From what I’ve read the 4c type is like the 4b type except there is no discernible pattern, it’s like a ball of cotton whether its dry or moisturized. I still don’t know what type my hair is other than to say it’s a 4a-4b mixture? LOL!! My hair kinda looks like Shingai Shoniwa when it’s dry but looks like Esperanza Spaulding’s when properly moisturized. Go figure!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Hair-Types-1709658.jpg[/img]

I found that picture of hair types a while ago and it kinda helped me figure out where I stand.

Naturallyblessed
Naturallyblessed
Reply to  Nubian

Very useful as the hair typing alone can be confusing at time, thank you for sharing.

brittany
brittany
Reply to  Nubian

Thanks for the pic! So, I’m def a 2c in the front and between a 3c-4a in the back…I’m def going to be doing twist out and braid outs forever! Lol

nappypammy
nappypammy
Reply to  Nubian

THANK YOU! I’m a visual learner!

kimberly
kimberly
Reply to  Nubian

Thanks for this pick. I couldn’t figure out if I was a 3c or 4a now I know I 4a and my grand is a 3c.thanks again

gautham
gautham
Reply to  kimberly

it’s really working

gautham
gautham
Reply to  Nubian

1 type of hair

Reply to  Nubian

ok, so I’m actually a 4c, although when my hair is moisturised it kinda looks like a 4b.

MlssCue
MlssCue

Yes, my daughter is definitely a 3c-4a. It’s very confusing for me, even though I have done lots of research since she was little, on how to care best for her hair (she is of mixed race) & I had to teach myself how to care for & style her hair.

Candice
Candice

I always find hair typing helpful. For instance, if I’m looking for advice on youtube, it’s helpful to know if the person has similar texture hair to mine to give me a better idea if the advice will work. Having 4A hair, if I watch 3c videos, my results will more than likely not match their results. It also helps when forming “hair crushes” and having hair aspirations. Coveting a texture you don’t have will just leave you feeling depressed and thinking the grass is greener elsewhere and that YOUR hair isn’t good enough. Looking at people with gorgeous locs… Read more »

caray
caray

Very useful information.…Im 7 months post relaxer looks like I 4a hair.…
S/N Vlogger Naptural85 describes her hair as 4a but IMO from this article she is a 3c

Natalie
Natalie
Reply to  caray

I agree Naptural85 is not a type 4 at all, her curls are so defined, even when she had a TWA she has lovely curls, I know they say that 4c hair if moisturised turns into 3c/4a but I use the LOC method which really moisturises my hair and it isn’t like Naptural85’s.
I would say I am a 4b/c, if I put gel in my hair then I get defined curls with loads of shrinkage but when I wash my hair oh yes, 100% 4b/c.

co
co
Reply to  caray

She’s a 4a like she says. Leave her hair alone.

Monisola
Monisola

I am really surprised that they tell type 4bs to put a lot of conditioner in their hair while detangling…

When I did that (As a new natural) my hair broke like gang busters. I am a 4c all the way honey, and I only use cipriana’s olive and castor oil mix to detangle on damp, but mostly dry (not wet!) hair

my hair is less water logged and doesnt break as easily…lubricated but not weakened by the water retention, this as really saved my strands and the fullness and length retention is much better.

AusetAbena
Reply to  Monisola

Exactly how I feel as a type 4a. Our hair is said to be the most fragile, and Jc of the Natural Haven showed that hair is weakest when it is wet. So what is with the only detangle while loaded with conditioner and soaking wet nonsense. Everytime I did that, I lost a lot of hair. I mean a lot of hair. But with dry/damp detangling, the amount of lost hair is very minimal.

caribbeancurl
caribbeancurl
Reply to  AusetAbena

That’s interesting because with me it is the exact oppposite. When my hair is dry I can literraly hair the strands rubbing up against eaach other, they more easily tangle with each other rusulting in knots, spilts and other natural disaster. Just goes to show how even among similair hair types you really need to figure out what works for you.:

df
df
Reply to  AusetAbena

yeah everyone’s head of hair is different. this is why hair typing can be a bust, people sometimes use it to to generalize what will work for people.

Geniece
Reply to  AusetAbena

I’m mostly 4b with some 4a curls and I have to detangle on damp hair loaded with conditioner and oil. Detangling my hair dry…well let’s just day i might as well get some scissors and give myself a hair cut. LOL. Funny, i actually find the 4b hair sometimes easier to detangle than the 4a sections because those sections actually hair thicker strands.

Loo
Loo
Reply to  Monisola

I see that “some” of 4bs like to “dry” detangle. I’m in the camp of 4b/4c’s that must detangle on damp, conditioner-soaked hair. “Dry” detangling used to work when my hair was shorter, but does little for me now. As a matter of fact, I think this is more of a fine vs. coarse and high density vs low density characteristic than a hair type characteristic. :o)

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Loo

I agree with Leila. 10 years ago my hair fell into the definition of 4a because it had a curl as oppossed to z strands. Fast forward to 2011 and many people would have been considered 3b are now 3c and those in 3c are now 4a which means 4as have moved to being 4cs. So I actually think summarising as type 4 is a better alternative. Even better would be a system which classed hair by things that make a real difference — curly or kinky or kinky curly, fine or medium or thick strands, easy to wet or… Read more »

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Jc

Totally posted that comment on the wrong section. I did want to chime in on this conversation too. I dry detangle with coconut oil because it works for me. I do spray my hair with water though to give it some flexibility in the process but it is not wet. I can actually also detangle with conditioner too but my hair has a million percent shrinkage which I am not prepared to deal with. I agree with Loo, I do think that people with fine and very kinky hair may find that dry detangling works. People with medium sized to thick… Read more »

Naturallyblessed
Naturallyblessed
Reply to  Jc

JC,

Thanks for sharing and always offering great advice both here and on the natural haven blog. Can we see your picture one of thses days as it would be nice to put a face to “JC”.

Stay blessed.

caribbeancurl
caribbeancurl
Reply to  Jc

So glad that you put in ur 2 pence. Just yesterday I was looking for definitions to separate kinky vs coily vs curly. Your blog just covered kinky and curly. Is there really a coily? How different is it from the others?

Jc
Jc
Reply to  caribbeancurl

Thanks Naturallyblessed I appreciate the compliment on my work. I do not post photos of myself or family on the net, it is just a privacy thing for me. Carribeancurl — I think that coils are simply very tiny curls. In the same way people talk about finger sized curls, pencil sized curls, straw sized curls etc — I think coils are essentially very small diameter curls. Coily hair is definitely curly but could also be kinky too. If I wet my hair completely and allowed it to shrink it would form coils in parts (I already put up high magnification… Read more »

Reply to  Monisola

Ladies, I was thinking the same thing. My mind went: Red alert, Red Alert, major malfunction, at least for me and my 4bc hair. Ladies, if you don’t know who Ms. Cipriana is and you are blessed with 4b/c hair get on over to urban bush babes. EVERY thing she suggests has worked for me. No matter what I try, I always go back, this time, I stayed!

Natalie
Natalie
Reply to  Monisola

I am also a 4c and only detangle after DCing my hair, I think everyone is different. For example I tried the Kimmay leave in conditioner and my hair was dry and brittle even though I tried various conditioners and oils.

Brittany
Brittany

…and of course, to be “politically correct”, 4c was left off. Nobody wants to be considered 4c, which I think it ridiculous. Your hair is your hair, whatever type it may be. Due to what is sitting on top of my head right now, I KNOW that hair gets kinkier than that, haha! My definition of 4c hair?…well, it would be similar (considering the description above is very broad) but it would be a little more extreme especially concerning fragility and “curl” pattern.

…my 2 cents

df
df
Reply to  Brittany

0_0 reading too much into it…

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  Brittany

ICAM! 4c gets no love not even from 4c headed people ;-(

Natalie
Natalie
Reply to  Barbara

Not true Barbara,

I love my 4c hair. I have discovered by trail and error what my hair loves and when I treat it well I can do rock some wonderful styles. I put my hair into plait extensions from Jan to beginning of March and I missed my hair so much, never again, I love the feel of my 4c hair.

cygnet
cygnet
Reply to  Barbara

Nappturology 101 (http://nappyme.wordpress.com/)

She’s been (on hiatus) for a year now, but right there is some love for what she calls “c napps”. She’s got 2–3 years worth of entries and a c napps forum.

Bri
Bri

I’m so confused by hair typing. I’ve always had natural hair so I was really intrigued when I learned about this but I have yet to find anyone with hair like mine. 3C describes it best but my hair doesn’t look like anyone I’ve ever seen pictured with it. My curls are big and corkscrewy, but my hair is not fine in the slightest. It’s course to the max, and it puffs from the middle. I could never wear my hair down and it’d lay down and swoosh like Tracy Ellis Ross! Lol. I dunno. I wish I had a seasoned… Read more »

tabitha
tabitha
Reply to  Bri

That is the one flaw with the hair typing system. It stereotypes visual aesthetics with physical attributes. It deosnt mention how no matter how big or small your curls are your strands can be fine or coarse and your hair density can be thick or thin.

whitney
whitney
Reply to  Bri

Try using the L.O.I.S hair typing system just google it and click on a website it goes in depth.about hair.

kimberly
kimberly
Reply to  Bri

My grands hair is like that and braid outs work nice on her hair.

Lisa
Lisa

Honestly, I dont even care!

binks
binks
Reply to  Lisa

Bingo!

Onna
Onna
Reply to  binks

YEP!!

Rosina
Reply to  Onna

What is the point/benefits of hair typing? To me it brings out the fact that we are not truly happy with our natural hair.
Does knowing the hair “type” help one to care for their hair better?
Whats the obsession with curl pattern? I think styles like twist out’s came about as a result of people without any curl pattern trying to have some sort of curl pattern in their hair.
I think all natural hair is great, whether straight, curly, kinky etc.

Cacey
Cacey
Reply to  Rosina

i feel the exact same way as you! for years i’d never heard of such a system and i continue to fail to see the point of why it is relevant at all. except just another means of dividing people into categories, the way i see it. when someone says “my hair is 4c” or “my hair is 3b!” i’m just like…well good for you, but you still haven’t told me much about your hair. curl pattern, in my experience, doesn’t have a whole lot to do with much of anything as relates to hair care. two people can have… Read more »

liberian lady
liberian lady

TYPE” really, in 2012? plaese don’t make me laugh.

Sieta

4, that’s all I care to know LOL.

jjleb85
jjleb85
Reply to  Sieta

df
df
Reply to  Sieta

lol same here, I’m a type 4 overall, that’s where i stop caring. My hair and everyone else’s is too unique to start compiling heads into A,B,C’s especially when everyone has multiple textures! When you go beyond the general types people start getting touchy and upset because they don’t see their hair type included or they can’t figure it out.…it’s just not that serious. Learning your hair type barely scratches the surface of knowing what it takes to take care of your own head of individual hair. IDK I think overdefining hair types is just another way to make this… Read more »

Sieta
Reply to  df

I agree. I don’t even know if some of the curls I have fall into the a, b or c category, so I stopped caring as such.

”Learning your hair type barely scratches the surface of knowing what it takes to take care of your own head of individual hair” — that is very true!

natural dancer/candice

I really don’t know what my coils are.…all I know is I LOVE them! I describe my curls as tight, coily, spiraly, frizzy & FUN!

thefrizzness.blogspot.com
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/churchcurls‑2.jpg[/img]

Kai
Kai

You’re 4A honey.

Michelle

I like your coils too, reminds me of my mother’s but she can’t bear to grow out her hair, she keeps chopping off and prefers it short. But my sister and I (when we were little) used to play in it alot, ’cause it felt soft like down.

Me

Hmmm.…I think of Tracee Ellis-Ross as more a 3b (at least in the pic shown). Aren’t 3c curls supposed to be sharpie-sized?

Areille
Areille
Reply to  Me

I always read that they were straw sized. To me Tracee Ellis-Ross’s hair definitely is not pencil sized those curls are larger. I’m not big on hair typing because the descriptions never match the icons they show representing that hair type.

Jojo
Jojo

3 months post relaxer & 3 weeks post big chop, rocking a twa & I have no idea what hair type(s) I’ve got. All I know is that my hair loves shea butter & olive oil applied when slighty damp, hates heat & being pulled, is soft & healthy. Couldn’t care less about hair typing, for now at least.

Me

Also, I HATE the 4b description! I have never seen a z‑shaped strand! I think that’s how Andre Walker described it because he has never really dealt with 4b hair. My 4b sections are really tightly compacted and they never clump. But the pattern of the individual strands is like an irregular s‑shape with tight coils at the end. I will be so glad when there is an updated definition for 4b hair! For those interested, please take the texture typing survey on nc.com. They are working on creating a new curl typing system, and I want to make sure there… Read more »

African Violet
African Violet
Reply to  Me

Thank you! Because I swear, I’ve looked at my strands when finger detangling, and I have yet to find a z‑pattern. According to what NaturallyCurly has, I’m predominantly 4b with patches of 4a at the nape of my neck and parts in the middle of my head. But even still, they’re oddly shaped Ss (as in S‑shaped and backward S‑shaped, a couple C‑shapes), not sharp Zs.

jjleb85
jjleb85
Reply to  African Violet

Oh wow! I thought I was the only one! When I first went natural I was constantly looking for z‑shaped strands lol!

Briichan
Briichan
Reply to  jjleb85

Whenever I think of z shapes I think of crimped hair lol I always considered 4 type hair to just be really tight curls!

Emme
Emme
Reply to  Briichan

I think I am the only one that I know with actual Z‑shaped strands! My hair looks crimped + frizz. They do clump when they feel like it. And the crimps are tight in the back and sides and loose in the front and middle. So I have to agree with the above ladies, this is not a common thing.

Alisha
Reply to  Emme

I have patches of z strands. While most of my hair makes coily corkscrews, some definitely don’t. They look like frizzy jagged waves. In the picture you can kind of make out some of them… and the sweetie pie is my Zoe. 🙂
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/photo.JPG[/img]

Reply to  Alisha

Awwww.…Love, love love!! Wanna pinch her cheeks =) You two are beautiful!

Alisha
Reply to  anastasia

*blushing* thank you, Anastasia! That’s my Zoe<3

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Me

Me neither and I’ve been natural since before Andre’s book came out… I have yet to see a true Z‑shaped strand anywhere on anybody. Now in terms of a strand having irregular bends (as opposed to regular symmetrical turns as in curly or coily hair), absolutely. No zigzags, though. I remember when NaturallyCurly folks coined the 3c designation. It’s hard to say exactly where 4c came from but at one point Nappturality members were using the term CNapp (where C = cotton or cloud) to describe that texture. There’s even a board, CNappyMeNow, that focuses on that texture. For the record,… Read more »

Reply to  LBell

Good point — I totally agree with you about the irregular bends as opposed to z‑shaped. Be sure to take the texture typing survey on naturallycurly.com if you haven’t. I want as many kinky-coily types to participate so they can have a better idea of how to classify and/or describe our hair.

Zs
Zs
Reply to  Me

I have Z on about 1/2 my hand and 4a coils on the other side and smaller 4aish coils in the back and a cotton candy patch in the back of my head(I’m not all that sure what it does but it is like cotton candy :-)or I guess someone’s idea of 4c). So I wouldn’t hate what they said for 4b because some of us reallly do have Zs(which can be defined btw but it is harder for me to make the it stay that way I guess because coils which kinda hold on to each other while Z… Read more »

Lela7
Lela7
Reply to  Zs

I get really annoyed when people say z shapes don’t exist — I have them too! SOME OF MY HAIR CLUMPS INTO CRIMPED SHAPED Z’S SO PEOPLE NEED TO STOP SAYING THEY DON’T EXIST

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Lela7

What exactly is a “crimped shaped Z”? Would you care to post a picture?

For years on hair boards “Z” meant “zigzag” — literally like a Z — and I have yet to see anyone with zigzag hair growing out of their scalp. Technically a true zigzag would represent a regular pattern…

Lela7
Lela7
Reply to  LBell

My hair is in a protective style now — trusted wig and canerow underneath, but when I take it out to wsah it I would gladly post a pic. Do you have an email or a blog or something. The hair on certain section of my hair clumps into an actual z shape. I call it a kinky wave. Whereas a ‘normal’wave is s‑shpaed mine actually clumps into a z shape. I looks like the 80’s look when people would crimp their hair, — only a very small one. Those parts of my hair do form a regular pattern —… Read more »

Reply to  Lela7

looks like the 80?s look when people would crimp their hair, – only a very small one.”

Excellent description!! I have 4c as well with several other types mixed in, but when I do bentonite clay washes that “crimping” pattern is clearly defined. Very pretty if I may so so myself…very.

Cia
Cia

I wish you had used a picture of Tracee when her hair was in a wash-n-go style, that is a rollerset/straw set. Here is a pic of her hair in a more natural state. Overall I don’t like hair typing because I never see one that really seems like my hair.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/teross2.jpeg[/img]

AfroKisses
AfroKisses

I’m still pretty far from being able to type my hair, lol…I am pretty sure that my hair has all three of the first three types listed. I’m pretty sure I also have at least one patch that doesn’t fit anything I’ve ever seen I couldn’t even describe a pattern no z no coil no s just there doing it’s fluffy thing! So I’ve basically given up on calling my hair anything other than 4. But I don’t knock folks for trying because I certainly do look for people whose hair has similar characteristics to my own whether it be… Read more »

tabitha
tabitha

I think there should be a three tier hair typing system. The first tier can keep the current alphanumeric system for curl or lack of curl size. The second tier should involve helping people figure out the width of an individual strand. Fine or coarse. “F or C” Then the third tier would be the density of strands thick or thin. “K or N” For example my hair would be 4aFK . So good advise for me would be that I need a lot of moisture as 4a hair tends to be dry. It shouldn’t be a heavy product that weighs down my… Read more »

Bree
Bree
Reply to  tabitha

There already is one like that. I think it’s callled the fia system or something. There’s also the LOIS system that doesn’t use numbers at all but descriptions.

Reply to  tabitha

I like this idea. Have you completed the texture typing survey on naturallycurly.com?

If not, please do so they can make necessary adjustments to the system.

nelle
nelle
Reply to  tabitha

GREAT idea tabitha! made sense to me immediately:-)

nads

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IMG_0308.jpg[/img]

debbie
debbie

i hate the fact that when people talk about this hair typing thing they never mention, 4c… what is it the least important category of hair type??

whitney
whitney

I don’t agree with this hair typing system the L.O.I.S hair tiypimg system is more descriptive and in depth. For example this system says that 4a hair is usually wiry but ots not, the L.O.I.S hair typing system says 4a hair could be sily,thready,wiry, cottony etc. The L.O.I.S system goes in depth about different hair textures, curl diameter, curl pattern, different types of curls, etc. so could you please post the L.O.I.S hair typing system along with pictures please?

Reply to  whitney

+1!

Alexandra
Alexandra

I believe that the hair that God gave us are like snowflakes. Out of all the millions that fall from out of the sky there are no 2 alike. I don’t like the hair typing system. I believe it was a man made system made to help guide.

Natalee
Natalee

I’m by no means a hair typing snob, but I can’t figure it out and I’ve tried the number system and CG method. I think my hair type has changed since I first went natural and started using different natural products. I recently dc’d after a protective style and my hair was longer and looked more like a 3b/3c/corkscrew curl and just 6 months ago it was shorter and definitely in the 4 range. I think the shorter parts of my hair still have a lot of characteristics of 4 types, but overall at its optimal health my curls are… Read more »

Rami
Rami
Reply to  Natalee

No no no. Its not your imagination. My hair does the same-my mother’s too.
As the hair keeps growing the texture changes like its been going from 4c when it was really short, to 4a when its longer. The longer areas straighten when wet then 3c dry curls.
Your not alone:)

Vanessa
Vanessa

I wish they had something for people with mixed patterns, the back of my head is 3c while the egdes in the front of my hair is 4b and the rest of my hair is 4a. what do I do with that?

Reply to  Vanessa

I am the same way. my crown is 3c, the nape and side edges are 4b and the rest is 4a.…I think most blacks have similar combinations, but I’m not sure.

df
df
Reply to  Me

i think majority do…i’m pretty sure i have 4 textures on my head…the 4th is literally one random strand that is a type 3 while the rest is type 4…i also had this random LONG grey hair that is like a freaking 2b. I cut it and it comes back! I just call my whole head type 4 if someone actually asks and just look for products that help my whole head stay moisturized. I’m still trying to make peace with the different textures not looking uniform but i’m getting there. I know when I just chill and let my… Read more »

Zs
Zs
Reply to  Vanessa

I have a bunch of stuff also. I think my honey child har care sold a combo of stuff so you had a jar of product for 4a and 4b some time back. You could look up their website. I just try to use the same stuff for m whole head more conditioner where needed, but you could try different product per type.

Renee
Renee

If I had to “type” my hair I would say I lean closer to a C. My Hair has coil but it’s more defined at the ends. I love my thick coarse hair and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I have never relaxed my hair with any chemical straighteners. I use to flat iron my hair but after I fried my strands I will never use another flat iron again. I know this site speaks against using heat on the hair but with my thick textured hair I have to relax my hair after each wash with a… Read more »

Reply to  Renee

Cute!

Jjac401
Jjac401

For me the LOIS typing system was helpful. I have what they are classifying as 3C hair, but the LOIS system includes density and porosity. I went to a really good hair stylist and had her to analyze my hair and answer the important questions.

Rou
Rou

My hair is really crazy because I have have multiple hair types all over my head. The front bang area is 4a, the front mid-section and lower head area is something close to a 3b with non-kinky curls, the front left side is mostly 4a, and the front right side is a combo of 3b-3c curls. At first, my hair was a styling challenge, but it is becoming easier to style as it grows longer. The only complaint is that with all the different textures on my head, each section grows at a much different rate, in which the loose… Read more »

Lima
Lima
Reply to  Rou

I feel you. I have 3b and 3c on the mid section of my hair, 4a in the front and 4b in the back and two small random type 2 wavy hair patches on my sides. I always had to hide those in my fro and make sure they didn’t fall out. Looked way too weird!

Rosina

I think this is all a waste of time and following this scheme is guarranted to either

1. make you very happy because you are able to really relate to a particular hair type & the related icon or
2. leave you very frustrated because your hair falls into neither of these categories and non of the icons have hair like yours. What to do then???

Coco
Coco
Reply to  Rosina

3. Make you feel bad because you fall into the “difficult” type.
I don’t type my hair, I think it’s silly for the most part. I prefer not to use numbers to describe my hair. I know that I need extra moisture because I pay attention to what my hair responds to, not because some random dude tells me type____ tends to be more dry.

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976

4a with bits of 3c and 4b.

Sheri
Sheri

Hell, just loc it up and you don’t even have to trip with all this hair typing business! LOL!

Amy
Amy

Wow, I was a bit shocked when I saw that picture of Esperanza Spalding. I’ve always seen her hair in a fro. This style makes her look younger. I think I have a mix of type 4a,4b and 4c hair. But my texture has changed a lot since I started using cassia and other indian powders. Plus, knowing my hair texture hasn’t helped me much in my quest for good hair products.

isola
isola

I have no idea what hair type I am. I am confused why it matters.

Lele
Lele

I’m not big on hair typing because it is all over the place and different people consider diferent textures to be different things. My hair is definitely a 4a in most places, and then it goes right into what most would call a 2 in a small patch in the back. My daughter’s hair is a 4a in the back, 4b in the middle, but a small wavy type pattern in the top that is too small to be a 2, but not curly enough to be a 3a-4b.

Michelle

Can we PLEASE stop this hair typing nonsense. It serves absolutely no purpose. None. Reading that your hair falls into one category or another is not necessary for knowing how to handle your hair. The only way to learn how to best manage your hair, what products work best, etc is practice. When I decided to go natural, I had none of the current resources (blogs, vlogs…) available to me, so I had to learn as I went. I used to think this was a bad thing, but I realize now it was a blessing because I was free to… Read more »

MC
MC

I disagree with the description of how different hair types are described when it comes to how they feel. To say that 4 hair feels wiry is not true for all 4’s just like how the 3’s hair being soft and not coarse isn’t true for all 3’s. Whether or not your hair has a certain feel has to do with your hair strands thickness. I’m a 4 with hair that people would consider thick (only because there’s a lot of it)but the strands are fine and my hair is quite soft. However, I had two friends which both had… Read more »

Deborah
Deborah

Hi, I vaven worn my pressed and permed for about 54 years. I had no idea what type of hair I had. I knew that my hair was soft,fine, and hard to curl. My beautician told me that not only was my hair soft and fine and that I didn’t have a head full of hair. My hair would not hold a curl long. I have been wearing my hair natural for about a year. I was told that my hair type is 2. I am not sure if it is 2a or 2b. I would like to see several pictures… Read more »

asiila
asiila

Should you type your hair when it’s wet or dry? i can’t figure out between two types for my own. it may be best to also get two or three other people to weigh in with what they think…

asiila

asiila
asiila

me again. i also find my hair texture, thickness and and tightness of curl are changing with age. i’m 55…it’s more brittle, thinner and seemingly a bit straighter. is this just an age adjustment with the same type, or a whole new type for me…?

asiila

undecided
undecided

I’m not exactly sure what my hair is.… it’s somewhere between 4a and 4b…and a combination of both in some areas…oh well who cares!! lol i love it and thats all that matters =)

AnaDion

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Small.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/small2.jpg[/img]

I’m not really sure about my hair type, so I’ve stopped bothering to try.

Reply to  AnaDion

Lovely!

Promote hair growth

I think I’m type 3a and i love AnnaLynne McCord…good for me 😛

anastasia

I’m a multitextured lady and if I had to describe my hair most accurately it would be 3b, 3c, 4a, 4b, &4c. I would prefer if it were just one type for uniformity, but sometimes I catch a glimpse of the intermingling of my various textures and am amazed that all of this is on one head. Genetics are pretty cool! Got maternal grandma’s hair, dad’s hair, and a lil sprinkle of mom’s hair…awww family =)

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/hairtypesvisualrepresentation.png[/img]

kai
kai
Reply to  anastasia

this is actually one of the most helpful pictures I’ve seen so far!!

IDK about all the word descriptions and pictures of white ladies on a black-dominated site, but giving examples with typical african american hair is MUCH more helpful!! (and also confirmed what I suspected, that my head is a big ol’ mess of 3a-4a so no wonder I could never figure that ish out!)

trackback

[…] to starting my natural hair journey, I thought each person had one uniform hair type. I mean, there’s no such thing as having multiple types on one head, right? WRONG! During my […]

Angie
Angie

This was helpful, but I don’t like how after 3C hair every other woman that represented the other hair types was white. I am probably a mixture of 3a/2c and I am black. I think the pictures of women could be more diverse .

Mariah Clay
Mariah Clay

I am definitely a 4c with a little bit of 2b in the very back due to my multiple ethnicities.

J
J

The best hair typing system is the LOIS.

Each letter represents a pattern i am S and O.

It also takes into account strand size and texture.

The site is:

I do understand the nedd to find products and find out the correct info for your hair but i do think it opens up a can of worms as you can’t please everyone.

Marie
Marie

The pictures here are helpful:

I’m 4b.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/008Close-upofScalp-20120531.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/011MyBraids-20120531.jpg[/img]

Lisa Gaines

I heard from a stylist that no one has the same curl pattern all over their head…that it varies in different places. What say you to this? My hair is in transition, so I still have about 3 inches of relaxed ends to grow out and I do not want to do the Big Chop. On top of my head, my hair tends to be wavy or ‘z’ pattern…on the sides like a 3c and underneath, in the “kitchen” more like a 4a…It’s kind of frustrating, but everyone says to keep at it and be patient. It’ll be worth it. I… Read more »

Roni
Roni

I think that there’s a reason generalizations exist. People that truly understand that any kind of hair typing is a system of generalizations, meant to be helpful for those just starting out and also to aid in non-tactile understanding of other people’s hair. In other words, what’s “dry” to me is not what’s necessarily what’s dry to you. And while it may take an hour for two different sets of hair to dry, the end results can be wildly different. Hair typing can be a major boon for people just starting out on a natural path or those who have… Read more »

Alisha
Reply to  Roni

Cc
Cc

I’m pretty sure I’m 4a/4b. Then again, I don’t think my hair is long enough to tell. I have 6″. It’s curly and when stretched, has a wavy/crimped appearance. When it’s wet, it’s springy and curly and feels like cotton when dry.…?

H.H
H.H

I guess all we’ve learnt is that you cannot really put a person’s hair in a box, every ones hair is unique.

Allimarie101
Allimarie101

I used this hair typing system and a few women have told me that it’s wrong 🙁 I have tried to reason with them stating that right or wrong, it’s the only system that actually gives an accurate description of my hair but they claim I am sharing false information about my hair, any advice?

Destiny
Destiny

I really think Esparanza Spalding is the one with 3C. This is actually the most off chart I’ve seen in a while and Tracee Ellis Ross is 3b. The 4C hair type is not even on there so that’s already problematic.

Big hair
Big hair
Reply to  Destiny

Ur not an expert soon.…..leave it be

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Big hair

who really is? Everyone sees what they see, including the person who wrote this article. Curls are in the eye of the beholder.

kayspirit
Reply to  Big hair

Allow me to share my natural hair care blog…http://allnaturalallmine.blogspot.com. The first 20 people to subscribe gets a free traffic site for their blog

Odie Blew
Odie Blew
Reply to  Destiny

Youre completly right. I hope that they fix this soon, so it doesnt send newly naturals off in the wrong direction.

Rachael
Rachael
Reply to  Odie Blew

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww i cant find my type. Can you guys help me? imy hair is short(but compared to others it might be long so i would describe it as just above shoulder length afro and if i comb the front of my hair right over my face like a fring it comes to my lips. My hair is naturally soft and i do extensions every month and rarely leav e it out as it is difficult to manage. Right now my hair is out and is have cornrowed it at the frontand packed the rest up to the side of my… Read more »

Nisha
Nisha
Reply to  Rachael

I can only speak for what I believe to be true, but for shampoo, you might want to try a sulfate-free shampoo especially if your hair tends to be dry and/or brittle. Sulfate-free shampoos don’t strip as much oil out of your hair. Right now I use L’Oreal EverStrong and Kinky Kurly Come Clean…your shampoos don’t have to be expensive, just make sure they are labeled as moisturizing shampoos. As far as using Dax.…never used it, never want to. You need to add a conditioner after shampooing and also deep conditioning to your regimen (when you have your hair out… Read more »

Lani
Lani
Reply to  Destiny

All I wanna know is..Why are there white women included in our Black curl-category?

I just really can’t fathom that…
We can’t get our own anywhere, can we? D:

I will never understand
I will never understand
Reply to  Lani

… Wow, black curl category. Why do you have to look at it based on ethnicity? Hair is hair and as you should know, we could have a very loose or tight curl pattern and the same goes for Caucasian women.

lin
lin
Reply to  Destiny

There is just too much diversity in this world for people to fit in a box. I think hair and even skin are like fingerprints. There will always be someone who doesn’t fit any one type. My bf has more of a wooly or nappy waves.

trackback

[…] According to this chart and one other, I have FINALLY determined that I am a 4a!!! Thanks for all the views!! Natural Hair Type Guide: Which Type Are You? | Black Girl with Long Hair […]

Cheyenne
Cheyenne

I totally agree with Destiny! This chart is kinda off…

Tricia
Tricia

I agree this chart needs to be updated asap

my hair is not so pretty
my hair is not so pretty
Reply to  Tricia

that is so true my hair is

Teli8

4c doesn’t actually exist- it’s another category that was ‘invented’ by those who felt their hair was more tightly curled than 4b hair. Also, the “Z” formation refers to the turning of the actual strand- not the shape of the curl. 4b hair does have a curl pattern to it- each individual hair forms a curl, and the curls don’t clump together because this type of hair actually grows in a twist: i.e., each individual strand is not just curled tightly, but is actually twisted as well on a microscopic level. Not that any of this really matters, hair typing… Read more »

Reply to  Teli8

I agree, I actually do like the beautiful thing growing out of my head.

Cheri
Cheri
Reply to  Michelle

Yes all that typing is a pain because i have noticed that I have quite a few different textures from front hair line, to crown, to nape of my neck and my hair line has a low nape. There are combos if textures here on my head. So if I were to go strictly based on hair types I would be forever not to mention like you said miserable cause I can’t figure it out.

jules
jules
Reply to  Teli8

it may not matter to people who don’t have 4c hair. but it definitely matters to people WITH 4c hair who are looking for help. it’s a tough hair type to manage. so this “4c doesn’t exist” stuff is just another issue 4c hair ladies have to deal with regarding lack of hair support. You basically deny the whole hair type and offer no help with how to manage it. It’s kind of rude.

the chart is off, just fix it, so people know what to do with their hair. it would help a lot of people, i think.

Linda
Linda
Reply to  jules

I absolutely agree. There’s nothing more frustrating than to see that the 4C hair type (or whatever catagory it falls under) is consistently and totally disregarded as if it doesn’t exist. As one who struggles with the proper care and nourishment of my hair, to see only the more manageable types(3a,b,or c) given advice for hair “challenges“it’s more than rude, it’s ignoring the fact that maybe there’s no real research or product out there that can address it. It’s very obvious.…notice that it’s the only hair type that didn’t offer any tips — see what we mean? Somebody, please give… Read more »

Rachelle
Rachelle
Reply to  jules

I totally agree Jules! I don’t have a problem with hair typing. I have a problem with those who “whine” about it being divisive or not inportant. If you feel that way DON’T read posts on it and leave others be. I need support on how to deal with my hair..

lucy
lucy

This chart is off, There should be a 4c column. and a mixed column. My hair is wild. I have some z‑patterns and some coils. if anything my hair looks like the image that is at the top of this page.

df
df

is there going to be something that helps people understand their hair density and porosity which are so much more important?

Diana
Diana

I’ve found another hair typing system that i find more accurate and better than that one.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/photo8.JPG[/img]

Ria Sweetraw
Ria Sweetraw
Reply to  Diana

Yes this chart from WBS seems MORE accurate and extremely helpful!! More Bliss and Love ? Sis Ria

Diana
Diana

***You can have differents hair types on your head.

Check this site out ===»> http://wildsunshinebliss.com/hair-typing

Ina
Ina

I think that i’m have something like type 4, Kinki Hair. My hair are like that, very tightly. But i need your help, so look at my picture tell and please tell me what you think a bout. Thanks a lot

Reply to  Ina

I don’t see any pictures Ina

Ina
Ina
Reply to  Michelle

What kind ofpicture? Mine?

Jasmine
Jasmine

I just don’t get the whole hair typing thing. At the end of the day you’ll still have to experiment and find products and a regimen that works for you. I went natural to escape labels. I thought the point was just to enjoy your hair. Besides, no ones hair is all one texture.

Allison
Allison
Reply to  Jasmine

I agree Jasmine because when I purchase hair products I do not recall seeing anything on the label stating that the product is for type 1, 2, 3, or 4 hair. However, it may state for dry or oily hair etc… I believe time and patience, good nutrition (especially, water), exercising, and finding products that works best for your hair is key.

Violet
Violet
Reply to  Jasmine

I tend to pay attention to hair types because if I were to go out to get hair inspirations from people, I would want them to have a texture similar to my own. If I see a 4c with hair like mine that was able to grow it long, I would be more interested to see what she uses and what styles she does. Labeling hair isn’t something that is going to divide us all up and create hair texture rivalries. Hair is what it is and we can’t control what we were all individually born with. But I do… Read more »

Crist
Crist
Reply to  Jasmine

actually naptural85 on youtube has all one texture and it is lovely

jeanetta
jeanetta

Hi, what about SISTERLOCKS!

anon
anon

I know that this is not PC to say in the natural hair world, but I really wish that my 4b hair was more like 3b hair. It would be so much more manageable! 4b hair definitely requires extra TLC.

Reply to  anon

Yeah I know what you mean, but any attempt to soften my dense curls usually ends up with it getting severely damaged (last shot was texturising). So unless there is a non-abrasive way to stretch it without it turning reddish-brown and breaking like crackers, I have to put a lot of TLC into the managing of it.

Reply to  Michelle

Also, I should mention that just because texturising didn’t work out well for me doesn’t me it wouldn’t work for you. You may not want to use it as a permanent fix but it will help you to manage your type 4 hair better in the short-term.

Bo
Bo

Looks like I’m 3a!

Dani
Dani

Do African American women actually have 3a and 3b hair?

Amanda
Amanda
Reply to  Dani

I think many biracial women do, and these women may self-identify as African American…

Reply to  Amanda

quite true, because my cousins overseas definitely have hair like that.

Taylor
Taylor
Reply to  Dani

Yes, some A‑A (including myself) can! Both of my parents are A‑A and have soft, super curly textured hair. I don’t know how, but my curls came out way more loose. Going off of this chart, I guess I have 3b-type hair. (I’ll include a pic, bc I’m still not too sure lol)
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Hair.jpg[/img]

Kia
Kia
Reply to  Taylor

Taylor it doesn’t look like you are a 3 anything, you have hair just like myself and my daughter, come by my site kiamcclain dot com and go to the hair section, I am sure you will see our hair looks like yours, we are multi racial and we consider our hair type to run between 2b-3a and we consider ourselves wavy not curly. It seems to me they think that no one of color can have the same hair type as whites or latinos which is where they are absolutely wrong at. My hair is nearly straight is some… Read more »

anon
anon
Reply to  Dani

Why would some not have that hair type?

lin
lin
Reply to  Dani

Yes. People in my family have hair that range from straight to kinky. I think it’s important to remember to usethis as a guide. My hair probaby ranges from 3b-4a. And it sometimes looks wavy.

Dani
Dani

I have 2 types of hair and it’s frustrating. The front is more straight than the back. When I wash it, from my ears to the back has pretty ringlet curls and the front has NO curl at all. The back is tangly while the front I can comb straight through it (with a wooden comb). I’m starting to think the only way I’ll ever be able to wear natural hair is just by pressing it. I haven’t had a relaxer since it, 2008. Any suggestions?

kitka
kitka
Reply to  Dani

My hair is the same way. If I feel like having an even pattern throughout, I do twistouts.

kc
kc
Reply to  Dani

My daughters hair is many types…at the nape it is straight…from the top of the crown to the nape type 4…and the rest is a mixture. She is really having a time of it finding a style…twist outs come out a mess…wash n go looks like she has a mop on top of her head…so far the only style she can manage is an updo. I wish I could find more style tutorials in order to find more ideas.

Ang
Ang
Reply to  Dani

Hi.…..I have natural curly/frizzy as HELL hair. One thing I have learned in my old age is: 1)Try avoiding product with alcohol…most gels mousse and sprays make it worse no matter what the bottle says 2) Clean hair is BAD hair.…I wash it once a week at most usually while I’m in Costa Rica but at home, once a month.…BUT I use good quality conditioner, never cream rinse, put it on in shower and let it stay for duration of showers and rinse last before getting out, towel dry but DO NOT shake it up, pat it dry gently to avoid… Read more »

Bonita

I hate when people say 4c doesnt exist.4c hair is cottony afro hair with ZERO definition wet or dry. Ignorance is bliss. Everybody does not have curls or coils, or hair that looks silky straight after a blowdry. Everybodys hair does not lay down or curl up with the eco-styler gel lol. Everybody cant “define their curls”, everybody’s hair does not fall down, but rather grows up and out… 4a hair blown-out looks like 4c hair, but its NOT the same!..perfect example is Esperanza Spalding. I didnt know her hair was so defined until i saw the picture up there,… Read more »

lady
lady

@dani I have EXACTLY the same problem my hair is curly from the back up until just above my ears, then I’m sitting with straight hair right up to my forhead. I hate this as I can never wear my curls loose and free flowing. Any suggestions on this would be highly appreciated guys.thanks

Hali

Am 3b

Hali
Reply to  Hali

or 3a not sure

trehigs
trehigs

I think the chart was dead-on. thankfully it doesnt matter, though

Penni
Penni

According to the book by Andre, there is no 4c. It was fabricated by the “natural hair community”.

LDB
LDB
Reply to  Penni

I know I am late on this but I just came across this forum. Anyhow, my question to Andre would be “Who made up the system that he goes by?” Everything has a beginning. New terminology pops up every day, how dare he say it was fabricated like it is something that is just hearsay and something made up by people who know no better. Those of us who live with very kinky, very coarse (as in steel wool), ultra dry, 4c hair know the truth.

Anne
Anne
Reply to  LDB

He wrote the book and created the system. If you are dead-set on using his system, it is a little strange to complain when he tells what is part of it.

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. Why is there this simplistic need to categorize things.

LDB
LDB
Reply to  Anne

LOL! I was actually being sarcastic about Andre Walker. I know who he is. But I think it’s obvious that Mr. Walker designed his chart using his own hair (which appears to be soft and curly) as the foundation. I find it ironic that he is the same man that says make peace with your hair yet says that kinky hair has limited styling options and should be relaxed to help it be healthier. He reminds me of a supervisor (she was African American) from many years ago. She told one of my co-workers that she was all for women… Read more »

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody
Reply to  Penni

Same with 3C, but that ALWAYS gets a pass. Interesting how that works…

Anika Baptiste
Anika Baptiste

I have looser curls to the backa and it gradually gets tighter going up and the front around the crown has no curls only the ends curl. But my enemy is FRIZZ *Background screams form horror movies* lol i still dunno my hair type but i’m guessing type 3–4 but i know for sure the back is 3a/b or both okay i’m not sure :/
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Anikapic.png[/img]

I little collage i made cute huh lol

kylesian
kylesian

i feel so confused. i wish this was more of a simple quiz with yes and no answers that at the end it could tell you your type. At the moment i cant find anything anymore that works for both my hair and skin. whatever i put in my hair, breaks my skin out. i live in a dry climate and after birthing my firstborn son, i soooo want to keep the majority of my harmonal locks, but everytime i comb, there goes the hair. sigh. (the pic, i just took my braids out)
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ipod13041.JPG[/img]

Michelle L.

Truthfully, I really don’t pay much attention to hair typing, because it is so hard to figure out what is your actually hair type if you have multi-textured hair or your family have different hair types under one roof. I have a mixture of 3c/4a/4b, my daughter has 4b hair and my son has 3b hair. Don’t matter what texture it is, we all have our hair challenges!

DJ
DJ

People, PLEASE stop saying that hair typing doesn’t matter. It may not matter to you, but that does not mean that it shouldn’t matter to others. For those with hair that is harder to manage, know what someone with a similar hair type has used that works well is a BLESSING. The simple fact about coily hair is that while everything does not work for everyone, it is also true that what works for loosely curled hair, more often than not, does not have the same affect on more tightly curled hair. There seems to be less products that work… Read more »

ntrlbeauty
ntrlbeauty

I agree with many of the people who are saying that the chart is fairly inaccurate. I was looking at the examples and I must admit that neither my hair nor my daughter’s look like any of the examples of the 4’s. In terms of curl pattern, I want to say that curl pattern is irrelevant. I don’t think my daughter and I have a definite curl pattern, I want to say each strand does what it wants, no ‘z’ patterns. However, what I notice is a major factor is “texture”. My daughter and I have different hair textures. Her… Read more »

Songbird777
Songbird777

I have a hard time with typing because I have various “types” on my head. I agree with the person who said they do not see a pattern but a texture. If I had to force something it is I have 3c on the majority of my head, 4a at the crown, and 4b around the edges. Oh, and a couple of spots of dead straight…go figure! I just kept experimenting until I found what works for my entire head. Recently, I started using Renpure cleansing conditioner to wash my hair and coconut oil to condition it with. It is… Read more »

Ria Sweetraw
Ria Sweetraw

🙁 dont think my Natural Hair “Type” is displayed here! If it is Kinky mine is not 4a or 4b.. my Curl is in an O or Zero pattern not a Z or S pattern..then I have a few strands that have no curl whatsoever, they are completely straight!!! Hmmmm.. this is soo interesting.. the bottom half of Natural Hair is for non black women? Perhaps the definitions of Natural Hair should go deeper into detail for Women of Color … true my Hair in its natural state is EXTREMELY Fragile..I always wondered why, but never really gave my hair… Read more »

Phoenix
Phoenix

I think I’m somewhere between a 4a and 4b but my hair looks more like the first woman on the page in the black tank than anyone else. How is her hair classified?

Sandra
Sandra
Reply to  Phoenix

Same here. However, my nape area is softer more like 4a

Kia
Kia

This hair typing chart is WAY off, my daughter and I have 2b-3a hair (hispanic wavy) in my opinion and we both look black. Our hair blow dries straight and we have nearly straight hair in some areas of our heads that will not easily return to wavy once they have been straightened with heat, learned this lesson the hard way, had to big chop again to get my waves back. There needs to be a hair chart that includes biracial/multiracial people.

ro
ro
Reply to  Kia

what the hell is hispanic wavy.LOL.

DJ
DJ

Every hair type chart seems based off of Andre Walker’s (Oprah’s hairstylist) that he published in the 90’s. At any rate, this scale does not seem accurate based on Andre’s scale and based on the many types of hair I come across. Also, this scale does not include all hair types, so even at it’s best, it leaves out some types, so. I’d say to to naturallycurly.com or google Andre Walker and hair type or you can always try to get Andre’s book. That said, I don’t know many people who have just one type on their heads. Most people… Read more »

Sharelle
Sharelle

I read all of this, and I still don’t know what my hair type is. LOL! Somebody, anybody..Please help!

kitka
kitka

Most of you agree this chart is inaccurate… could it be that the whole damn hair typing system itself is flawed????? The chart accounts for curl pattern or lack thereof, but what about the TEXTURE and POROSITY of your hair. None of these charts are complete because everyone’s hair is different. Most people assume that 4b hair is coarse, and that’s just not the case. My daughter has silky, fine 3c curls, and I have spongy, dense medium-textured 4a curls and coils. The front of my hair has no pattern, but is the easiest to comb through and straighten. According… Read more »

Tel8
Tel8
Reply to  kitka

+1! I’m really surprised at the vehemence of people defending the hair typing method of Andre Walker (and getting wholly (and rightfully) offended at the thought that “4C” doesn’t exist. It actually made me consider the issue from a different angle than I usually do. Truthfully speaking 4C- like 3C, is not part of his original category system and was developed later on by actual black women (unlike the white(?) male who invented the other classifications). I truly do understand the confusion and discomfort of dealing with the complexities of your hair’s needs and trying to find at least one… Read more »

Geezemarie
Geezemarie

So,
People can have a combo of curls?
I think my hair is more like 4A and 3C. My hair at the nape of my neck is 4A and if I take my finger and coil my hair around my finger, it forms spiral-like curls. my the rest of my hair tends to be more 3C.
My question is this: as your hair grows out and get longer, does the curl change? Obviously the longer the curl the more it stretches…

Sherron

i have both hair types 4a & 4b (my hairs ben natural for 18 months) it seems like the looser your curl pattern the more length retention you achieve & your hair grows longer faster but “shrinkage” is another factor i hav 2 deal w/ b cuz my hair appears 2 b much shorter win i do a wash-n-go but if i comb my hair & put it n 2 large twists overnight & then pick it loose the next morning my hair appears 2 b much longer & my afro is larger

Giddess
Giddess

Hi,
With so many hair vitamins out there. Can anyone suggest a brand.
Much thanks

Frankie
Frankie

I have a mix between 3c and 3b and my hair is color treated to the max. Im super bleach blonde and I want to know what I can do to get my hair in a better state. It’s not straw like. But I have lots of split ends and my hair needs more moisture. Please help me x.x

Frankie
Frankie
Reply to  Frankie

Well I have diffrent types throughout my hair. From so much bleaching I have some parts of my hair that are 3a

Anne
Anne

We say we Love our hair but all we do is Complain about it?? Why do we say hard to Manage in a way as if to wish it was something else?? I am 4C hair defo..and she is something else but soo Beautiful. I miss her so much when I put her in a protective style I feel like I am hurting her or something. There are days when she annoys me BUT I have to remember She is NOT THE PROBLEM its me, and how Im feeling that day she’s just acting accordingly. I have my hair in Acrylic… Read more »

camille
camille
Reply to  Anne

good for you Anne! i totally agree!

Fr. Victor

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/AnthropologyMe.JPG[/img] HELP! I am just your average, everyday, run-of-the-mill male Native American / African American / Pacific Islander mix. Before I get started, I want to THANK EVERYONE HERE for the wonderful work you’re doing. Until a student told me about this site, I never knew you existed. Now I’m trying to post a picture of myself on a “Good Hair Day,” but I don’t know if it will go through. Anyhow, I guess my hair is curly-kinky. When I wash it and don’t mess with it and let it dry naturally, it looks more like Tracee Ellis Ross’s hair.… Read more »

Valeria
Valeria

@ Fr. Victor, Been there! Okay, I’m a woman with natural hair. Yes, I have a mix of textures on my head. I used to think mine didn’t grow fast, but now I realize I was breaking it all off. So here’s what works for me: I wear it up nearly all the time. I put the back up to keep it from rubbing against my clothing and tangling and breaking off. When I want to show length, I pull some strands out around my face. They dangle, but don’t rub against my clothing. Although the other day I did close the… Read more »

kayspirit

Hi, I love the tips posted on this site. Check out mine at allnaturalallmine.blogspot.com

Ludney
Ludney

My hair is so thin & stringy. This is the reason why I started on my natural journey. What can I do to improve the thickness of my hair & what products are good to help repair my hair?

grace

um my hair is sort of short and i want it to go half way down my back basicly near my hips thats how ling i want it

grace

please help me iwant my friend at school to get jelouse im 10 please i want it to grow up to my hips and how long does it take to grow up to my hips

helen
helen

I used Nuka Beauty Organic Argan Oil,I feel good.Grown in North Africa and mainly in Morocco, Organic Argan Oil is rich in antioxidants and omega 6 fatty acids, and is believed to contain twice as much vitamin E as olive oil.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/justbenatural.jpg[/img]

helen
helen

In a hydrating treatment of Nuka Beauty Jasmine Honey Moisturizing Hair Treatment, Its helps to repair and condition hair. Its contains essential oils of rosemary formulated with Oryza Sativa & honey extract to seal & nourish hair.

Will
Will

I am in need of some help largely due to my hair texture. I am not mixed or anything like that I am African but, my hair aligns similarly with Asians. My hair stands up instead of laying down and the strands along with the texture are somewhat straight. When I went to an expert she thought I had a perm in my hair. My hair texture was never this out of control before I do not know what to do can someone give me advice?

helen
helen

Nuka Lavender Hair Elixir is a unique blend of oils that stimulated the scalp and leave hair soft and shiny.

Rae
Rae

Kay this should’ve been just for guidelines but its so defined it can’t even be that anymore. I have like 3 or 4 textures in my head. Just found this out in September since I hadnt seen my real hair since I was in 6th grade. I have 4a in the middle, 3c at the back, some sort or wavy at the front and 4b/c along the hairline above my ears. -.- it’s quite annoying to keep up but I’m excited to see how it’ll look longer, since I cut it all off. I take things by the general rule. ‑moisturize,… Read more »

trackback

[…] I don’t like categorizing my hair, but if I had to, it’s 4b and extremely coarse (What hair type are you?)  I run into 2 majors problems with my hair: dry scalp and dry tresses. I’m sure […]

D.P.
D.P.

Can anyone help me identify what type of hair I may have? I am new to the transition and I still haven’t figured out whether I should chop it off (I’m not thinking I need to do so since I usually got 3–4 relaxers a year when I did get them) or not and where to go next. I started co washing and I absolutely love it on my hair. I tried using the shea moisture masque but it left my entire head incredibly dry and and my hair crunchy. I started using 100% pure organic coconut oil along with… Read more »

Lillian Mae
Reply to  D.P.

Hello DP! As someone who transitioned for 2 years, I think it’s best to not even concern yourself with your hair type. As a transitioner, I don’t think hair type matters, as you still have your relaxed ends attached. I think the focus should just be on maintaining healthy hair by keeping the hair (both relaxed and natural) moisturized. Learn what you natural hair does and doesn’t like; this will prepare you for when you are fully natural. Knowing your hair type at this juncture will not serve any specific purpose. As to knowing when to cut off your relaxed… Read more »

D.P.
D.P.
Reply to  Lillian Mae

Thank you for your response!

K.L
K.L

In order for you to figure out your type, you have to cut off the damaged ends. (There’s an article on here about transitioning hair and hair types.) Any hair that has touched a perm would need to get cut off when you decide you’re ready. Some people wait for months, and others who are in a hurry (like myself) just chop it all off. Products for me has been a hit and miss, so I suggest whatever works for you, stick with it.

Ashes
Ashes

This was definitely helpful. I am a 4A. I have been growing my natural hair for only 6 months from a fade in June 2012 and I have six inches of hair Dec 2012! Yay! But I have been making a couple of mistakes like, sleeping on unprotected hair and combing and brushing dry curls. Thanks for this! Remember guys it should not hurt to do your hair! See you all at my 12 in mark in spring 2013!

Fe
Fe

Don’t pay any attention to the hair types. I guess I would be classified as a 4b or 4c, since I seem to be somewhere in between.… my hair doesn’t look like either of those. I gradually worked my way down to the “big chop” I cut my permed hair in to a short bob, and then into a then a very short permed style. I got my last perm in Mar 2011, and then cut most of the remaining perm out in Jun 2011. I say most because even now (Jan 2, 13) the the tips of my hair… Read more »

Fe
Fe

Correction — last per was in Mar 2012 , cut perm out in Jun 2012

monet
monet

well ive seen the different types of black hair but I still can’t find my black hair type please show me,lots of pics and also when it is straightend
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/IMG_20120704_004437.jpg[/img]

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  monet

Gurl. Nobody (not even you!) can tell what your hair type is if it’s all braided up like in your picture. Do you have one with your hair loose? Freshly washed would be best too 🙂

monet
monet

Princess
Princess

Please help me out ladies .… .

I always thought I was a mixture of the 4 type, but its like now my hair has grown it grows down and not up like it used to. Has anyone had this?

I dont really like it, can anyone advise how I do a afro and braidouts that have volume and arent limp and laying down 🙁

veda l. smith
veda l. smith

I now know my haih type. thank you.

Michelle@Radiant Brown Beauty

I’m a type 3c mostly around with some 3b sprinkled at the nape and a pinch of 4a in the crown. Our hair is so versatile!
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/protectivestyling-skin-and-hair.png[/img]

MIA MARTINEZ
MIA MARTINEZ

ok so I have 3c 3b hair when it is wet but when it dries it looks like a 4a, does anyone know of any good products that retain curls and that lasts all day ? THAnk you (:

Rae
Rae

My hair goes from a fluffy 4a to a crusty 4b..

Would love to know how to keep my hair moisturised. Mine doesn’t stay moisturised for more than an hour!! 🙁

marchet
marchet

Hi.….I have been transitioning since august 2012 taking care of my natural hair & using natural products. My laat perm was in April 2012 but I had braids may — mid july & weave from mid july to mis august. I had hair out till october with the janet braids & didnt wash or cond.….only used oil olive oil & coconut oil for 2 months December to now hair has been out but maintained it properly w/ cond, wash & water mosituizer then sriting water n moistorizer every 2–3day n detangling hair then cont. same routine for 2 months. Throughout… Read more »

Pinkcocokittie
Pinkcocokittie
Reply to  marchet

Yes try the botanically you drops. Google it. Even youtube it. Its all natural scalp treatment. I use it daily :-D. Hope this helps

marchet
marchet

This is what my hair looks like.….still trying figure out hair type smh.….

Pinkcocokittie
Pinkcocokittie

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG737‑1.jpg[/img]

So I just made 2 months. Is it too early to tell and if not… any idea what I am. Its soft to the touch. Some areas have no definition until I put product. I love it now. Just no idea what I am. Its coarse that’s all I know

Jasmine
Jasmine

So I been fully natural for bout I wanna say 4 or 5months & I’m trying to figure out my hair type but I believe I have more then one hair type especially In the front on the left side, the back & middle it very tightly curled & the front left side is some what curled and then some is like a wavey curl & then some of it is kind of straight. I definitely need some help with this because I have no idea what to do with my hair & how to make all my hair to… Read more »

trackback

[…] Hair Typing […]

mari
mari

I’ve been natural on and off for 10 years. Did a BC in July and my texture changed. Can anyone tell me what my hair type is? This is wet hair with conditioner. I’ll try to post another pic with no product. Excuse the crazy facial expression. Lol.

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/conditioner1‑1.jpg[/img]

mari
mari

Here is a pic with no product. More frizzy with a few defined curls. Think that means I’m like a 4a, b, and c.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/withoutproductwet1.jpg[/img]

trackback

[…] 4c hair. A very good post which helps to explain the afro hair classifcation can be found on Black Girl Long Hair It is interesting that nearly every other afro hair vlogger seems to have 4B hair. Who knows, maybe […]

Felesha
Felesha

Thanks for the chart. I have a 4b hair type. I use Taliah Waajid curly curl cream for moisture. Is this a good product to use on my natural hair?

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody
Reply to  Felesha

Does it work?

Reply to  Felesha

I love talia waajid.. only thing about hair product is you’ll have to change it up.
Use talia waajid one month, or until you run out then try something new… when you run out of that go back to talia waajid..
I find that my hair becomes “immune” to different moisturizers unless I change It up..doesn’tmean it’s a bad moisturizer… my hair is just spoiled and doesn’t want to react to the same products all the time..

A product I like for 4b other than talia waajid is ojon..

Laketta Reeves
Laketta Reeves

Hi, even after reading all the different types of hair. I am still unsure of what kind of hair i have. I think my hair is more like Esperanza Spalding 4a hair. My hair was recently in locs for almost 6yrs. I combed them out almost 2months ago. When washed, my hair looks exactly like hers (Esperanza), just shorter. But my hair draws up the instant it becomes dry. I let it air dry and it still draws up. My hair will still have the curl pattern to it, but i would really like for it to not draw up.… Read more »

marie
marie
Reply to  Laketta Reeves

Shrinkage is part n parcel I’m afraid.You can braid or twist your hair when wet n use a shea butter or thick styler to hold the moisture n style.

Then unravel the next day or a few days after and style as desired.You tube has plenty of tutorials.

Lori
Lori

After viewing this, I am still confused.., & what didn’t help was photos of caucasian women & their hair!!! I’m under the impression that their hair texture is very different from ours! Am I off base on that?? Is this not an African American womans natural hair site?? I was under the impression that it is, but I could be mistaken about that as well… O, I didn’t see any tips for the kinky hair hair type like the other types have.

Katrina
Katrina
Reply to  Lori

The article is about curl patterns in general. Not every african american woman has the same type of hair so I think it’s good that they showed a broad range of different curls. Especially if you’re biracial. The tips for the kinky hair are directly under the picture of Esperanza Spalding.

marie
marie
Reply to  Lori

Mizani has a good chart.

trackback

[…] From:Blackgirllonghair.com […]

MM
MM

What is hair type of the woman in the photo under the heading??? That’s my type of hair! I think it’s 4A/4B?

Soso
Soso

Ahh no 4C. Of course!

OhSnap!
OhSnap!

*sigh* This whole hair typing thing confuses me. I have almost 11 year old locs. I plan on cutting them off. I’ve never rocked loose natural hair so I’ve been perusing the natural hair vlogs/blogs. I just never see anything on how to take care of hair that looks like mine. I have some areas that appear to have no curl definition at all and others that do. My loctician use to tell me I had five different textures going on even some that appeared straight (I blame the finer, looser patterns for my frizzies.) If I had to I… Read more »

Reply to  OhSnap!

Having different hair textures and curl patterns in your head is not unheard of.. you’ll just have to treat each section accordingly..
And rocking the lox for 11 years? You rock!

Jones sabo package within the charms sabo pub presently gives is higher than worries dangling 500 je

Fantastic website. A lot of helpful info here. I’m sending it to several buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks on your sweat!

Rosie T

Hair type is a very hard thing to determine. Some naturals don’t bother with it and I am of the same opinion. Hair type consists of more than a number and a letter e.g. 4b, etc. On the GreenBeautyChannel she says you have to take into consideration: Curl pattern, texture, thickness, elasticity, porosity and hair density for a more comprehensive understanding of what your hair type actually is, which in turn can help you choose the right products to maintain it. I quite like this explanation of hair typing. I feel I actually understand my hair type much better now,… Read more »

huangsiqi

every beautiful woman a essential temperament Handbags

Myhandbagsshoes.com wholesale cheap replica handbags,shoes,wallets,belts,sunglasse,the brand including louis vuitton,hermes,dior,fendi,prada,celine,miu miu,christian louboutin,etc.

trackback

[…] I use for my hair?”  Blackgirllonghair.com has a composite tip guide of all 4 hair types. Natural Hair Type Guide: What Type are You?, isn’t as in-dept as CurlyNikki’s Hair Care Tips for Type 4 Curlies but, it’s a […]

trackback

[…] something. I never will get to Erykah’s length. For starters, my hair type is type 4C (hair type guide link). That is the kinkiest, curliest, driest hair type there is, in layman’s […]

Grace
Grace

I am not impressed with Andre Walker’s hair typing system with straight hair at the top of the list and kinky hair at the bottom. Since when does one person get to define hair for all women in the world?

W Artis
W Artis

I don’t seem to fit into either category. My hair has absolutely no curl pattern, is thicker at the roots, but the remainder of hair is straight. There must be others like me out there, but all of the information I find relates mostly to kinky/curly. Is there somebody out there like me?

Sleek
Sleek

Hi, I have Indian (east) hair. So it’s quite silky but thick. It can hold curls but naturally it’s straight with some wave. What hair type could I have?

-Thanks

Sallie

My hair type is undefined. It’s not quite any of those.

Tiarra

I’m a 3a/3b combo. I have a super hard time styling my hair, because the curls are so inconsistent. They are tighter around my face and neck, but frizzy on top. I’m a big frizz puff haha! And pretty much no combination of product works great, no matter what I try. So sadly, I usually straighten it every day 🙁

trackback

[…] That means I have “kinky” curls. You can check out all about the curl types on this great blog post. […]

Erica
Erica

i have been curious since the beginning of my natural journey back in november.i finally took a picture to get some feedback . thinking 3c/4a but im not sure ! helppp lol :][img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/image-12.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/image-13.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/image-14.jpg[/img]

Marie
Reply to  Erica

Yes, it does look like 3c/4a 🙂 Very cute!

Erica
Erica
Reply to  Marie

awwh thankyou! didnt mean to upload the same pic 3 times but it was giving me error message then finally worked :/ haha but yes im finally embracing my natural curls and i must say i love them ! wish i would of started my journey sooner!

India
India
Reply to  Erica

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/image-13.jpg[/img]

What’s my hair type?

Marissa

You have such beautiful pictures of women on your site,

Chanelle
Chanelle

Hi Erica, I’d say you have a 3c type. Your curls don’t look as tightly coiled as a 4a type.

Cigia Robbins
Cigia Robbins

Hi! I saw this page recently and I’m really excited about all the information, I’m part black and part mexican and I would like to know what type of hair I have so I can start taking care of my hair the proper way. I’m a little confused with all the information but I hope I ll get it with the time
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/1369601192266.jpg[/img]

Alex
Alex
Reply to  Cigia Robbins

Cigia tu tienes pelos de escobeta! Necesitas usar champu Caprice 🙂

Taryn
Taryn

I’ve been trying to figure out my hair type I’m thinking 3c/4a maybe [img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/20130418_084457.jpg[/img]

Jen
Jen
Reply to  Taryn

I’d say that definately looks like 4a type hair. The colour’s very cute, mind you 🙂

Taryn
Taryn
Reply to  Jen

Thanks love

Taryn
Taryn
Reply to  Taryn

A closer pic

Tamara
Tamara

I’m trying to figure out what my hair type is but I’m having a hard time uploading a photo. My curl pattern looks a great deal like Erica’s but only when it is wet which is why don’t wear it out often. Any help would be great

Reply to  Tamara

Well.. there’s a great chance that if it looks like that wet it can look similar dry.. Sounds to me like you haven’t found the best product for your hair and scalp. The best moisturizer for hair like that is a very creamy one.. that… and a wig brush.. Try washing it tonight with a good shampoo (pantene is the best for any hair type) towel pat dry only enough to keep your hair from dripping everywhere and apply a very generous amount of wash out conditioner and use a conditioning comb to detangle.. let it sit for a while.. and then… Read more »

luftballon giraffe anleitung

Thanks for some other informative site. Where else may just I get that kind of information written in such an ideal method? I have a challenge that I am just now operating on, and I’ve been at the look out for such info. luftballon giraffe anleitung http://tiny.cc/wqlkyw

Amber
Amber

HELP!!! I still can’t figure out my hair type! Can someone tell me what I am!?
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/20130518_122415.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/20130604_080321.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/20130422_074406.jpg[/img]

Amber
Amber
Reply to  Amber

Just a FYI my hair crawls anytime I try to put it up and whenever I apply gel my hair becomes too slick and it has a natural shine but when I add gel its extra shiny and looks silky! I love the texture of my hair but at this stage of my hair journey I don’t know what to do with it. I’ve tried scarfs but since my hair has grown (I’m 6 months in since my bc) they slide right off! Idk! Can anyone help!?

Reply to  Amber

I tried to reply to this earlier but it left the comment below instead.. but I wanted to add that you may want to try using a silk pillowcase.. it will take some getting used to when sleeping and won’t hold your hairdo but it will help retain moisture. There’s always that funky length phase where you can’t style it and it feels like a itty bitty mini fro on your head and that was NOT the look you were going for. In this phase I found it cute to use different style headbands and those big flower barretts.. they’re… Read more »

Amber
Amber
Reply to  Nora

I’m not usinh regular gel! I was told to ise ecostyler and I use ths olive oil one which I love but its when I try to use in a high bun is where I have the issue, but since I’ve posted this I have found a lot more info about my hair type and how to manage it but Thank you so much! My intentions was to try get some help on what hairtype I am! But again thank you so much!

Sai
Sai

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/image-19.jpg[/img]
Can someone tell me what my hair type is please?The front is loose,the sides are smaller,the back is loose and very soft and the middle has little to no curl pattern.

Reply to  Sai

It’s very likely that you have more than one curl pattern. You will have to determine which ones suit you best and tend to your hair accordingly.. only because none if us are able to touch it to see if it’s coarse or cottony..
If you have four curl patterns throughout you’ll have to treat each side of your head the way it should be treated. And keep that moisture sealed.

Ishijah
Ishijah

I’ve been trying to figure out my hair type for a while. The strands look like this in the front, the sides, and the crown. The back is different but I couldn’t get a good photo.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2013–06-11_02-19–07_126.jpg[/img]

Ti
Ti
Reply to  Ishijah

My hair is the same way I can’t do anything with it! It’s naturally straight on the ends! ;(

Nora

Gel is awful for your hair.. You are going to have to try different products until you find a few you like. Try creamy, nongreasy products.. a lot of companies are trying to make bank from the new wave of women going natural and all the brave women who faced the “big chop.” My favorite affordable products are mane n tail, Shea moisture and the totally twisted line from herbal essences.. I use a wig brush to help define my curl pattern. And let it air dry.. Also.. if you want the silky gel look without the damage try “edge control”… dampen your… Read more »

Nitasha Garcia
Nitasha Garcia

Hi! I have no clue what my hair type is. I’m about 3/4 Dominican and 1/4 Native American I want to say. My father is 100% Dominican. My maternal grandmother’s father was 100% Native American and her mother was mixed of English and African American, not sure the full percentage because she died after giving birth to my grandmother. My hair is fine and thin, wavy/curly and it’s soft, not brittle. When I was a teenager it was more of a medium type if not fine but different texture like more brittle I think. My curls were also tighter, like… Read more »

pure garcinia cambogia extract

Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download
it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really
make my blog shine. Please let me know where you got your theme.
Bless you

Adrienne
Adrienne

I just did my TWA and I was told I have a 4A..I just want to make sure so I can do my research.

adrienne
adrienne

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2498193206538141703.jpg[/img]

JANINE
JANINE

then i get this feeling that all hair types are not represented in this hair typing system. i have very coily hair. i know im a 4. but im not 4a and im not 4b. i dont even think im 4c. my hair is short now, trying to grow it but it looks like very small circles. very small and very tight. i think i will have a huge shrinkage issue cos the hair strands seems to lie down flat, and if you pull at it it comes out 4x longer than it looks. its very coarse my hair. i… Read more »

cacey
cacey
Reply to  JANINE

yours sounds just like my sons hair. i think his hair is 4b/c. maybe urs is too?

tina richards
tina richards

…preconceived this article would be ridiculous…read it regardless…was not disappointed!

Smlgirl
Smlgirl

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Snapshot_201307055.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Snapshot_201307056.jpg[/img]

lol i didn’t want show my face but anyway what’s is my hair type! ps.black is my natural hair color it’s dark brown

Smlgirl
Smlgirl
Reply to  Smlgirl

i mean black isn’t my natural color 😉

Brittney :)
Brittney :)

[file]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/IMG_20130627_200056.jpg[/file]

What kind of hair ? 🙂

jill
jill

Amber u look like 4a to me and Nitasha u seem like a mix or the two last ones but less curls. =) very nice hair ladies I admire all u who have started from the bottom I wish I was not only brave enough but confident enough to cut my hair I’d love to be a natural but as a kid I suffered a bad accident that left me with a bald spot and scar so I Ave no choice I’ve been getting relaxers since very young .

Nitasha
Nitasha
Reply to  jill

So you think a mix between 2a and 2b, right? >.> lol I agree. I hate my hair so much! thank you! and I’m sorry to hear that 🙁 you’re beautiful no matter what!

tristan
tristan
Reply to  jill

Sorry to hear it.

Maria V.

I’ve given up trying to figure out my “hair type”. I call it nappy and that’s descriptive enough for me.

Dena
Dena

Hi,I am having a hard time figuring out what catagory I would rate my hair texture.…I’ve noticed after having my daughter that my texture has made a significant change even to go as far as thinning throughout..I have become very frustrated with my hair and what it has become..when my hair comes out of the scalp it looks as if it could be a 4b but as it continues to get longer it goes straight the farther it get from the scalp…I had made a chop to it in 2009 to see if it would help but it repeats the… Read more »

Poppie

SO I thought going natural I would have an Angela Davis afro after growing up seeing my mother and her sisters hair in the 1970s. I don’t. I have a 3a/b mix in the front and sides, and 3c in the back. So frustrating, but I am learning to love it. I stopped relaxing Aug. 2010, and by March 2011 I was completely natural. However, I have only been about 6 weeks without heat. I’m learning a lot and really working hard on loving and learning about this curly haired girl in the mirror. Even if she does have crazy hair.

Savannah
Savannah
Reply to  Poppie

The way you described your hair sounds just like mine!!!! It’s aggravating because the crown of my head is shrinks so much in comparison to the rest of my head! But I love my hair wouldn’t give it up for the world!

Kenya
Kenya

Can somebody please tell me who the model is in this pic at the very top??? OMG she looks exactly like ME!

trackback

[…] how to maintain it. I had no idea maintaining hair was this complicated, to be honest. Here’s a link from the Black Girl Long Hair website that teaches you all about curl patterns and hair […]

Stephanie
Stephanie

Type 4c seems to be underrepresented here. Please update this and add 4c types.

Kala
Kala

I know this site is all for going natural, but through repeated straightening, my hair has gone from a 3C to a 3B. I’m actually quite happy with the result. I also have a question for you all: I have bleached and dyed my hair a few times without it becoming overly damaged. I’ve been growing it back out to my natural color due to upkeep costs. I also regularly flat iron it. My hair is quite healthy for having been bleached a few times and flat ironed often — it is growing quite nicely. I also wash it about… Read more »

Phoenix
Reply to  Kala

If I were you, I would not relax that hair! It straightens easily and it seems to be strong enough to withstand a little heat and bleach abuse. Rather learn to roller set your hair, thus enabling you to wear it straight AND reducing your heat usage.

Synclare
Synclare

Hi, I’m having trouble determining my hair type. Some of my curls (mostly the top layer)are very loose/wavy, while others are more springy. Any input would be much appreciated.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/photo.JPG[/img]

tristan
tristan
Reply to  Synclare

Looks like 3a to me

Synclare
Synclare
Reply to  tristan

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/photo1.JPG[/img]

I recently cut my hair!It looks much curlier now. Is this still 3a?

TeenyWeenyA
TeenyWeenyA
Reply to  Synclare

Looks like a 3a to me too.

Synclare
Synclare
Reply to  TeenyWeenyA

Thanks!!!

A Burnished Look
A Burnished Look
Reply to  Synclare

You look like a between a 3b and a stretched out version of 3a if that makes any sense

confused?
confused?

Where is the 4c hair type ?!?

Rye
Rye

Why do we go by curl or coil circumferences when learning about how to take care of hair?

I’m a cotton textured 4a, my hair from the roots springy, but since my hair is like cotton it’s hard to define. Sure I can put water and gel on it and it will create S waves until it dries out and make a huge cotton ball.

hermes ?? ??

??

Shasha
Shasha

Soooooooooooooo, we’re jut gonna skip 4c hair?? Oh, alright.

And
And

I asked this a long time ago on here and no response. Please make this a tab at the top of your page. It would really help to know with your articles about what to do with a specific type of hair. I’m happy to pretend this info was readily available on here eons ago.