5 Natural “Disqualifiers”: Are They Legitimate?

Avatar • Mar 25, 2012

Lately there’s been quite a bit of discussion in the comment box about what being natural is and is not. We decided to parse out the five main points of contention to see if they are reasonable. Check it out.

Putting Color in Your Hair

Many women feel that coloring your hair simply disqualifies you as natural. There is a point to that — Hair dye is technically a chemical that weakens the hair and in some cases, alters the texture. But “going natural” most commonly refers to embracing texture, not color, although that’s part of the process too. Some argue that choosing a light color is an attempt to distance one’s self from a black/afro aesthetic, but what about creativity? What about experimenting and trying new things? Ladies, what’s your take?

Being Non-Black

It’s true that the natural hair movement began with, and is firmly rooted in black culture. And that is not likely to change. But it’s also true that accepting hair texture is something that women of other ethnicities struggle with too (as Algerian style icon Sa Rah shared) — albeit to a lesser extent. The consequences that black women can face for being natural — romantically, professionally and socially — are far more grave than women of other ethnicities. STILL, any kinky or curly haired woman can benefit from the inspiration, instruction and advice shared within the natural community. So, what do you think? Can any curly or kinky-haired woman be called ‘natural’, or is it a label that should remain unique to black women?

Getting a Texturizer

Many naturals were deeply upset when they discovered that Titi Branch, one half of the duo behind natural haircare line Miss Jessie’s, uses a texturizer to elongate her curls. Many saw this as a betrayal and antithetical to the natural ideal of embracing your texture ‘as is’. Texturizers are a chemical treatment that loosen kinks and curls but don’t fully straighten the hair. Without proper upkeep they can weaken the hair, and lead to breakage. Some feel that, because texturizers don’t fully eliminate kinks and curls, they should still count as natural. Ladies, what do you think?

Being Black and Having Wavy/Straight Hair

Black hair comes in a wide variety of textures, from kinky/cottony to bone straight. What about black women with naturally wavy and straight hair? Some feel that, because their texture is already socially acceptable, they don’t “need” the natural community and shouldn’t be a part of it. Some of this thinking came into play here on BGLH when we posted an article by Brittany, a wavy haired natural. What do you think ladies? Should being black and having wavy or straight hair disqualify you from being natural?

Being Natural Underneath a Weave

Our 2011 interview with Angela Simmons, who has a massive afro under a shiny head of weave, sparked major debate. Some felt that Ms Simmons, who didn’t know much about managing her natural hair (outside of seeing a stylist) was not qualified to be featured on a natural hair blog. But an increasing number of women are transitioning from relaxers via weaves, while keeping their natural kinks and curls hidden underneath. Some don’t yet have the courage to rock their natural hair out in public, and others find that weaves — which can withstand significantly more manipulation and heat styling than natural hair — are more convenient. Does this mean these women are not natural?

What does being natural mean to you?

Dawn
Dawn

my personal opinion, coming from a girl who identifies as “a girl with natural hair”.… pls don’t shout me down- these are just my thoughts even if i come across as contradictory or bigoted or what have you… 1. color- i dyed my hair blonde for the past 2 yrs. i’m now starting to grow it out- the last time i dyed it was jan. 9th. prior to settling on blonde, my hair had been auburn, burgundy, all shades of brown, dyed jet black…since i was in 8th grade. so i’ve def experimented with all colors natural and now i’m growing… Read more »

EG
EG
Reply to  Dawn

The only point I disagree with is #5, part of being natural is wearing your kinks, and if you wear weaves the majority of the time, then I’d consider you chemical free, and not necessarily natual.…of course I know plenty of people will disagree.

irisi
irisi

this is sad

Thembi
Thembi
Reply to  irisi

Amen to that …

Jasmine
Jasmine
Reply to  Thembi

It’s unnecessary. Natural vs. “Unnatural” is yet another way for us women to shoot each other down. I’m 18, been natural since I was 16 and have big chopped 4 times. I’ve heard it all. At this, point I can care less. I tend to worry about my hair more when it’s natural…which is ANNOYING. I felt better with a relaxer in a way, because it was long and healthy, and an air dry and flat iron was all I needed. The whole idea was for it to be easier and if it got wet, to reduce the hassle. A… Read more »

Brooklyncoily
Brooklyncoily
Reply to  irisi

Totally agree…this is sad.

sosoulful0125
sosoulful0125
Reply to  irisi

I just don’t get the point what is suppose to be the purpose from this post?

Mai
Mai

To me, a person is natural if they are not altering their curl pattern in a permanent way (this includes those who heat straighten their hair on a regular basis). Thy can be a black curlie, a white curlie, Asian, hispanic, it doesn’t matter as long as they embrace their natural texture. I think it is rude of some women to assume that having a looser curl pattern means having an easier experience (in hair care and acceptance). Looks are deceiving and unless I am in their hair everyday, I can not make that assumption. I have a couple of… Read more »

nigeria
nigeria
Reply to  Mai

i totally agree.

ALA
ALA
Reply to  Mai

I agree. Being natural is embracing and working with what you have. Discriminating and segregating is wrong, sad and takes away from the core intent of being natural.

Verona
Verona
Reply to  Mai

I totally agree, especially with the other ethnicities. I have friends who are completely 100% Asian, and are pressured to get their hair relaxed and straightened or they won’t get the job or a man, since Asian guys and work places want a girl with pin straight hair. So they have the same pressures as many Black people do. All races have stereotypes that they have to live with and overcome, for both males and females from the tops of their heads, down to their toes.

Nicolea
Nicolea

It is just that, being natural. It’s about not being shamed of the natural state of your hair. It’s about non chemical alterations. I think it’s simply embracing who you are. I don’t think it’s fair to look at black women who have wavy, long, straight or any other type that super kinky hair, and think that they aren’t natural. The beauty of it all is that our hair varies. It’s not an all inclusive group. I draw the line at any chemical alteration. Chemicals are tampering with the natural structure of the hair and I don’t think that’s natural at all.… Read more »

LaTorsha
LaTorsha
Reply to  Nicolea

I agree!!

Eatmydessertfirst

This is ridiculous! One more thing to divide women of all races and ethnicities! Natural hair? makes sense that it’s hair that is in it’s natural state whether that’s kinky, curly, coily, wavy or otherwise. Anyone of any race can be a natural if their hair is in it’s natural state. This is a petty argument and doesn’t serve any purpose!!

Nana
Nana

I know, this article was really trying to further polarize women of all shades. Should we really care WHAT others think is natural? Focus on your own scalp for once.

Come on people…

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Being Black and having wavy hair. Being non-Black. How is colour not mentioned????
I agree I don’t think this article is about diving by colour, but it’s baffling that you say colour isn’t mentioned!

Brooklyncoily
Brooklyncoily
Reply to  Jo Somebody

Agree. Tired of the divide. But, I fear the divide will FOREVER plague our society and culture — each time someone feels they are being inclusive, there is always a hint of segregation that always manages to sneak in…no matter how eleoquent the presentation. It.is.what.it.is — no more…no less.

Lu
Lu
Reply to  Jo Somebody

Color really isn’t mentioned, that is your own stuff that’s showing through. And if you look at Brittany (wavy haired natural) you will see a very pretty, very BROWN face looking back at you.

Nana
Nana
Reply to  Lu

Lu, did you really not read number #2. How is color not mentioned. That is what number two is all about. For real? Let’s not presume to know the insecurities of others… We don’t need to further disrupt the sisterhood between women of color.

Nana
Nana

Sorry, but as the above commenter pointed out “Being Non-Black” is literally the definition of polarizing women of all shades by race. Wearing one’s hair in it’s un-altered state is NOT a cause unique to us as black women. I hate it when people assume that because you’re Asian or White you can’t have a curl to complain about. I have a Filipina friend with 3c hair and a Jewish mate with the kinkiest hair I’ve ever seen. We don’t own the world of natural hair and how others experience it. To say that only Blacks can have a natural… Read more »

JEANNETTA
Reply to  Nana

AGREED!

Reply to  Nana

“a Jewish mate with the kinkiest hair I’ve ever seen.” Had to laugh, smile, and nod in agreement at this one, cuz I am certainly married to a Jewish man w/ type 4a/b hair! Several folks in his family have tight kinks and tight waves. “We don’t own the world of natural hair and how others experience it. To say that only Blacks can have a natural hair movement is ignorant and perpetuating a racist ideology that this site often tries to dispel. I.E The darker you are the nappier your scalp is. However, it is MORE symbolic for a woman of color…… Read more »

df
df

i’m sorry but getting heated or worrying over stuff like this is a big sign it’s time to take a break from the natural hair community, just take care of your hair and realize that there are much, much, much more important things in life that can have your attention and time.

How can anyone sit around and dictate if someone call themselves natural or not. How does it change the situation on their hair? It’s just people wanting to put others in categories they feel they should be in. Over it.

tess
tess
Reply to  df

Preach!

Michele
Michele
Reply to  df

I agree wholeheartedly. I have a girlfriend transitioning who is still wearing her natural under a weave. When I went natural, I did the big chop and put a lot of emotional energy and time into learning to be ok with my hair as it grew out. When my girlfriend started, I felt like she should stop cheating and do the emotional work that I did learning to accept herself as she is. I finally realized that the whole point of this was to reclaim ownership of myself, head to toe–by dictating her process, I was doing to her what… Read more »

Reply to  Michele

Michele, your friend is lucky to have such a reflective person in her life. Bravo to you for your perspective taking-it’s something that many can not and will not do.

Brooklyncoily
Brooklyncoily
Reply to  df

TOTALLY Agree! +1,000,000. Last time I checked, there’s no right or wrong way to wear my hair! Makes it seem like “Big Brother” of Natural hair is always watching with judgmental eyes. Pulease… stay out of my hair!

binks
binks
Reply to  df

Agreed, it is not that serious. I never understood this and I am surprised straight naturals “the ladies who use heat“isn’t on the list. At the end of the day it simply isn’t that serious to police someone else about their hair some folks have to much time on their hands

regina s
regina s

I love being a colored and blowout natural. Many time’s. I was asked to be featured and after submitted answers was told I not a fit.. I don’t care long as a relaxer dont touch my head.

nigeria
nigeria
Reply to  regina s

That is so sad.. and downright silly if you ask me! Many times, coloring your hair can bring out your facial features:) Color is so much FUN! You should have still been considered, if you still wear your hair in a curly state. Their loss:)

Coily Africana
Coily Africana
Reply to  nigeria

I don’t think its silly. If you are advertising a jean for tall, straight shaped women would you use short curvy models(eg targeting women like Nicole Kidman and then using Kim Kardashian as a model)

However sites like LHCF exists where every head of hair is welcome, as the target is for long hair care which is all inclusive.

Jordan

I believe that all women of color need to find what being natural means for them and not so much worry about what other people are doing. Natural for me includes not using a chemical relaxer or texturizer to alter the texture of my hair. When I did my BC over two years ago I colored my hair but today I only use henna. Even when my hair was relaxed I didn’t feel comfortable with weaves or wigs. They made me feel weird. I felt more comfortable in my own skin. What has made this journey so wonderful for me… Read more »

Anita
Anita
Reply to  Jordan

Agree totally 🙂

Maria
Maria
Reply to  Anita

Me too.

df
df
Reply to  Jordan

amen 🙂

lauren
lauren

this is sad indeed, what is with all the judgement?? saying one person is more natural than another is the same as people jugding others because they believe that natural hair not being nice/socially acceptable because its curly? natural hair is what grow out of your head, i your are not permanently changing your hair type you are natual… heat damages isnt included. The one thing i hate about black people is that they make themselves such victims, becuse other judge them or mae them feel like they are not good enough the way they are, but then they DO… Read more »

Anita
Anita
Reply to  lauren

TOTALLY AGREE!!

kimberly
kimberly

Natural to me is a black woman whose hair is free of chemicals like relaxers or texturizer. Wheather they have curly,straight or kinky hair. I think adding a little Color doesn’t make them less natural. We all need to find what makes us individuals. I’m not into the weave thing but if they don’t have a relaxed under the weave then its natural. I think a person has to decided for themselves how they interpret themselves

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  kimberly

Agreed!!

Cyn
Cyn

My take on “going natural” is abandoning anything that chemically alters natural hair irreversibly. Bleaching one’s hair blonde tends to do that. Otherwise I’m all for experimenting with anything natural — e.g. henna, ochre etc.

TGL
TGL
Reply to  Cyn

Henna permanently changes the color of hair, and even though it is natural, it does so via chemical reaction.

AfroStyling

Being Natural means minding your own god damn hair and leaving others to do as they please. This is quite quite sad. Ladies, its time to focus on you and not what others are doing. #wtf?

Anita
Anita
Reply to  AfroStyling

Agree!!

Lina Beauplan
Lina Beauplan
Reply to  AfroStyling

Preach!!!!

EG
EG
Reply to  AfroStyling

I can have an opinion and still only care about my hair.
To be honest, I think it’s a good thing that people found out the Ms. jessie founder is a fraud, this woman made a mint out of telling women that their hair could look like hers if they bought her products, only for it to be a lie.

Mai
Mai
Reply to  EG

Ain’t that something though. I just learned about the Miss Jessie’s thing (thanks to this article) and generally it’s none of my business, but when your business is hair, it’s in your best interest to be up-front from the get-go. They built their business saying they were natural and buying Curly Pudding will yield you similar results, but what they meant was I got a texturizer which is why my hair looks this way. It makes me glad I never bought anything from them.

lindy
lindy
Reply to  EG

Afrostyling is right.…mind your god dam hair and your business and keep your opinions to yourself. As for Ms.Jessies…I dont think they were trying to defraud or mislead. They never said use their products and get the same results…they were always upfront about being biracial and they always advertised their silkeners or texturizers on their sight.Do not assume or put words in other peoples mouth…that is the same courtesy you would like from others-right?.

Do you and let others do them.

Lisa
Lisa
Reply to  lindy

Miss Jessie’s is a business about natural hair though. If it was some random person on the street or my neighbor, that is one thing. But they are a brand that requires people’s money to profit. I have no problem if they are biracial (having mixed hair, despite what some believe, does not mean your hair is easier to take care of) or that they give a silkener aka a texturizer. But they go out of their way to hid that they have one (Titi specifically). I went to a event where they were there and one lady asked them… Read more »

EG
EG
Reply to  Lisa

EG
EG
Reply to  lindy

You’re delusional if you think the day will ever come when you tell me what to do. Since you were too dim witted to notice, the article specifically asked us for our opinion and I will continue to give until “I” not you boo, chose no to.

Kimmy
Kimmy
Reply to  AfroStyling

I agree, and this made me LOL!!!

Anita
Anita

Ok I think I could get with 3 of the 5 listed, but 2 of them I do not agree with. Why is “being natural” a title only Black people can own? I am 100% black, but I have NATURALLY wavey hair and I can blow it bone straight without having any chemicals, so that is totally natural to me. I think being “natural” is relative to each person. If a woman uses rods to style her hair or braids for waves, does that make her less “natural”.…not in my book. I think we should be able to define the… Read more »

Candice
Candice

This is really hard. I would like to say that people can profess to be whatever they want. I’m Buddhist and no one can tell me I’m not if I say it in my heart. However, I definitely do hold judgments about some women who call themselves natural and I tend to disagree. I don’t think color makes you unnatural. I colored my hair, but my hair is still as curly and kinky as ever (I love that I like the word “kinky” now!) I also include latinas, jewish people, white girls, etc. with curly hair who wear it naturally… Read more »

Reply to  Candice

Great response Candice and I completely agree!

Reply to  anastasia

Clarifying my agreement:

Even though I do not wear weave, I don’t have a problem w/ weave (straight or otherwise).

Jojo
Jojo

Someone please explain to me what ‘being natural’ is about. Cuz I thought it meant being true to the hair growing out of your head, your skin, yourself, as well as some other stuff. I also thought it boiled down to personal choice. I didn’t know kicking out women who don’t meet the ‘standards’ was part of the deal. If we let race be an issue, then we’re no better than those who judge us based on our genetics or colour of our skin. Maybe there should be a ‘natural hair community’ constitution put in place. *laughing*

Lina Beauplan
Lina Beauplan

Guess, im not natural. I do 2 out of the 5 (color hair and i wear wigs sometimes) Other people such not be able to define“your” experience. It just sounds like another way of hating on others. If you dont.pay my bills you can not, will not define me as an individual.

shannon
shannon

For me, putting a texturizer in my hair would go against what I feel I want to represent as a natural haired black woman. What I represent to myself, not to anyone else. If someone else feels like it doesn’t cross their natural line then who are we to opine on that?

nigeria
nigeria

I think that if we allow ourselves to have these “disqualifiers”, we only create discrimination amongst our fellow sisters, which is not necessary to do at all. This kind of reminds me of the light vs dark skin debate, which is just kind of silly. In the end, let’s celebrate the fact that women are choosing to wear their hair curly and not feeling the urge to go out of their way to assimilate into mainstream society. That being said, in the past, I did have some reservations about texturizers still being natural because THEY ARE a chemical, but I… Read more »

Maria
Maria
Reply to  nigeria

Yes, Nigeria. I love your last paragraph. The bonus of being natural is that I don’t have to run when I see rain for fear of ruining my hair.

Dawn
Dawn
Reply to  Maria

eh, idk. when i’ve just styled my hair in a stretched style and put in all that work to curlform or taken my hair fresh out of a braid/twist out…rain is the last thing i wanna see lol
but i’m with you though, in theory if not in practice!

Reply to  Dawn

Ha! Me too!

Maria
Maria

I don’t see what all the fuss about Brittany. I love her hair as much as I love mine, although our texture is different. Anything you put in or on your body is considered a chemical, including grease and moisturizers, if you want to get technical. Speaking in general terms, a person doesn’t have to fit in your perfect small box to be called a natural. It’s not necessary for me to wear extensions… but then again, MY CHOICE. I usually don’t wear make-up, but sometimes I do. I feel beautiful with or without it. I’d long-straight hair, but decided… Read more »

Lu
Lu

Interesting post. I think the only disqualifier for me is #3: having a texturizer. I do believe, for me, being natural is embracing the texture of your hair as it grows out of your head. A texturizer is just a weak relaxer. There is nothing wrong with it, personal choice, do you, yadda, yadda. But, I wonder at the mindset of the person who texturizes and still claims to be natural. It seems like a little self deception. The natural under weaves thing is tricky. Of course they are natural because their hair has no chemical but, again, I wonder… Read more »

Candice
Candice
Reply to  Lu

I totally agree with you. I think you hit the nail on the head with “self-deception.”

Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody
Reply to  Lu

^This is where I stand. 100% agree Lu!

Grace
Grace

Natural means you don’t NEED to add any chemicals in order to supposedly manage your hair. If your hair texture is already a Type 2–3A for example, yes, you are natural but in the same sense that a white person can be considered natural. Just my humble opinion.

Shell
Shell

I thought that being natural was no relaxers or texturizers and no color that is from a box. I personally don’t like wigs or weaves but to each her own. I consider myself a natural… no relaxer, no texturizer, no wigs, no weaves and no fake nails. I think that when women make that change, it becomes a badge of courage. It is a difficult transition to come out with natural hair and natural styles. When others do not adopt the same stance, it just feels like they haven’t or are not making the same sacrifice.

TTK
TTK

attention attention.…. IT IS JUST HAIR no matter what remember that if you lost it all tomorrow it wouldn’t even matter the texture wouldn’t be a question and the color wouldn’t either. Yes it is good to have communities were we can see others that embrace the GOD given state of their hair but we can’t define anyone only ourselves. My kinky cotton is no less natural than my cousins wavey straight. Neither of us use chemicals to alter the state of our hair. I leave singing LOUDLY I AM NOT MY HAIR I AM NOT THIS SKIN I AM… Read more »

Candice
Candice
Reply to  TTK

I believe black women who say “it’s only hair” are deluding themselves. Our hair has never just been hair. It has been a source of shame and something that we tried to hide, didn’t understand, and damaged in a quest to be something else. We were told either explicitly or implicitly that we weren’t good enough as is. I was told that every day from age 3 when I started to get my hair pressed (burning my scalp was worth it to not show the world my curly, kinky hair) until the last time I got a perm. Owning yourself,… Read more »

Lu
Lu
Reply to  Candice

Agreed. Unfortunately, it is not just hair. It is something that has been used to divide, control, tame…someday it will be just hair but for right now, it isn’t.

ARIN
ARIN

I cut my relaxer off in 2007. Since then I have colored, weaved, braided, twisted, shingled, and such. What is the big deal? If I use gel to lay down my edges am I not natural? There are too many rules and in the end it is only important that I am happy with my hair.

michelle
michelle

wow..another way to divide and discriminate black women…natural is whatever it means to you

Lele
Lele

Color: I think you are still natural. To me, natural (as black people know it) is all about the hair texture that we are born with. Being non-black or a black person with straight/wavy hair: Anyone can be natural. Even a some white-skinned people have 3a/3b hair. But when you are a white curly, I doubt it carries the same weight as it does when you are black. And when you are black with straight hair, well, I doubt they go through the things that 3’s and 4’s go through like accepting their texture, ignoring the negative comments about coily… Read more »

Slimwavy

This debate troubles me. It applies that there will need to be law enforcement to keep people out of the natural community if they do not meet a moving standard. Natural is having hair that is free of chemicals that permanently alter the texture with which one was born. That seems to exclude those who use texturizers because the there is an application of chemicals intended to loosen the original curl. And to maintain that loose look, a new chemical application would need to be added as the new growth exposes itself. My daughter naturally has a looser curl pattern… Read more »

Shamaia Veira
Shamaia Veira

I have been natural for a long time, or so I thought. I thought being natural was refraining from perm. I use to straighten my hair in the winter and leave it in a afro in the summer. Now I use protective styles for the winter such as king twists. I did relax my hair once and my curls were great, but I did feel like I betrayed my inner naturalista. I embrace my afro, although I have coiled hair, I pick it out. Today many natural girls want loose curls, but that is defeating the purpose of being natural.… Read more »

JAMICAL
JAMICAL

In my personal opinion, natural is natural regardless of ethnicity. If your hair is altered in any means chemically, then it’s no longer in a natural state, it’s altered. And if it did not grow from your scalp, it’s not your natural hair.

I’m not hating on wigs/weaves. I like them and some people wear them well.
And if you like the way your hair looks with a texturizer (perm), then rock it.
However, it’s not how your hair naturally grows, it just how you naturally like to wear it. There is a difference.

LaTorsha
LaTorsha
Reply to  JAMICAL

I agree

Siri
Siri

I don’t think we should look at the word natural as a way to divide women, specifically black women, but instead a word that describes hair just like blonde, short, straight, or curly. We can’t say relaxed hair is natural (remember when Andre Walker, Oprah’s stylist, tried to say you can be relaxed and natural at the same time, many naturals were, to say the least, mad), but we can say that neither nor should be judged upon.

Saf
Saf

I don’t think the issue is really about the use of the word natural. It’s simply a word in the english language that noone owns a copyrite on. Anyone can use the word to describe themselves if they so wish, even a bleached blond permhead can use the word if they define it as meaning that they don’t wear extensions. The real issue is who the natural hair movement is for. The movement was created for and by the community of black women with naturally coily kinky curly hair who have been taught by the eurocentric society we live in to… Read more »

Dawn
Dawn
Reply to  Saf

i agree with how you defined the natural hair movement. that’s the point i was getting across in the first comment on here. it’s like, there wouldn’t ever have even been a natural hair movement if black women hadn’t been getting rejected/hated upon and made to feel less than for their kinky hair. that’s why i don’t extend it to the groups that i mentioned “disqualifying”. but at the end of the day, i am of the opinion that it’s just hair and need not be a divisive thing. it’s just that if someone asked me what immediately came to… Read more »

Mimi
Mimi
Reply to  Saf

Wow! Very interesting perspective.

Siri
Siri
Reply to  Saf

The natural hair movement which began in the late 1960s and 1970s wasn’t just for black women, it was for black people (men, women, children). They wore their natural hair styled in an afro (which ironically is not really African) to display their pride and beauty in African features. That movement is our beginnings, but it is not our end, and I believe that the good we did should and can be given to other races. We live in a world where the mainstream deems straight hair as good and curly (regardless of texture or race) as bad. So if… Read more »

Saf
Saf
Reply to  Siri

…I believe that the good we did should and can be given to other races.…”

#TheHelp

Mai
Mai
Reply to  Saf

I’m confused. Why does she need help if she has found confidence to wear her hair and she is willing to share her confidence with others? Saying “I love my hair and you should too” doesn’t mean that I am any less confident or that I am putting someone else’s needs before my own.

She stated her opinion and some facts (Afros aren’t really Africa and Dr.King learned some things thanks to Gandhi). I don’t understand the point for a personal attack.

Saf
Saf
Reply to  Mai

#TheHelp refers to the book and recent movie entitled ‘The Help’ about a black maid in the 60’s in the South, which to my mind illustrates the state that some would like black women to remain in, i.e the belief that we are here to always serve and HELP others before ourselves. I vehemently disagree with this attitude, because as much as I feel empathy and compassion for others and wish all women the best in their journey for wellbeing, I believe in prioritising OUR needs FIRST. It’s called black female self love and self respect, without which it’s impossible to… Read more »

Siri
Siri
Reply to  Saf

I agree with you Saf that the Natural Hair Movement was created to make black people feel beautiful in their own skin with any alterations or additions. But my comment, like everyone else’s here, cannot be the only indication of my character. I have never put anyone (except recently my daughter and husband) before myself. But if someone sees that I can shine without a relaxer or my hair straightened, then I will let them basks in my rays. I definitely believe that some non-black races are trying to get in on the natural bandwagon now that it has been made… Read more »

lindy
lindy
Reply to  Saf

Thank You@Saf and I totally agree…and I caught the reference#Help.

Candice
Candice
Reply to  Saf

Exactly! Black women can do whatever they want with their hair. No one is judging that. But the natural hair movement is something specific. I think it’s OK to define it.

Odi
Odi

This is my two cents.

The only way we can divide and conquer, is to put ourselves in boxes with a label.This is how the slave masters did it. And we just keep going.
What does it matter to us the way someone else looks, natural or not, kinky or not, black or not.
Stop the ridiculousness and lets embrace each other, enough is a enough.
The natural community has certainly become a breeding ground for this type of hypocrisy.

Lex
Lex

To be honest, I wish we could DROP the term “natural” & simply refer to it as “our hair”. Those with relaxers should have to state that they hair “relaxed hair”. I guess it’s since “natural hair” is minority, and relaxers are so common that anything other than that would be considered abnormal… that’s my take on it.
I even saw a Caucasian comment on a youtube video declaring she is natural (straight hair), and someone argued that it does not count. YES, it too IS her natural hair, but I’d rather just say my hair. It just IS!

Reply to  Lex

To be honest, I wish we could DROP the term “natural” & simply refer to it as “our hair”. ”

I like that idea=)

ewok
ewok

I really think the word natural is being misused here. This is just another way to segregate people for nothing. Just like how the whites segregate the black in school, or how Hitler segregated the Jews from the blond hair and blue eyed Germans… etc.

Mimi
Mimi

Before I run off into a tangent, I do want to make the argument that I think people who use texturizers are not natural. Texturizers have chemical properties of a weak perm, so by using that, it says that person is still only comfortable having their hair fit a certain mold. They were willing to move from the belief that their hair does not have to be bone straight, but then again, they do not want their hair too far into afro-texture. I do not think color takes away from being natural because dying ones hair isn’t meant to disrupt… Read more »

Jade

If you have to question whether or not you’re a natural-haired person, then you aren’t natural.

If I ask you if you’re black and you need to think about it, then you aren’t black.

Fia
Fia

This is stupid. I have a 4 month old baby, and am natural underneath a sew-in. It works for me. I’m not “cheating.” I felt more guilt about spending 2 hours on twists when my baby needed my attention. Natural for me is about being comfortable in my own skin. I wear my fro loud and proud in between sew-ins, but I need something easier to fit my current lifestyle. I am no less natural, and I feel good about my journey, it’s so sad so many of you are so judgmental of the paths we choose to travel on… Read more »

Reply to  Fia

Congrats Fia on your bundle of joy!

Brown Betty

Nice post. I agree that the need to place criteria on who does and doesn’t qualify as natural is not indicative of a movement that is all about pride and inclusivity. I don’t think color should oust you from being natural. And I think anyone who has taken the plunge to move past the beauty standard of mainstream white media, has earned a natural badge. Despite hair type, all natural vs. mass produced products, locs or twist outs, bi-racial, Puerto Rican, or Black, let’s celebrate each other without judgement.

Nat
Nat

while good to discuss, this is sad. it’s also probably why i love the app “i love your hair” (zero affiliation)- there are no boundaries there, only hair appreciation and sharing across all colours and hair types. and so many hair ideas. that noted… natural IS anything from straight to kinky with all stops in-between if it’s growing out of a person’s head with minimal alteration, no matter that person’s race. now, as for colour and texturiser, they barely alter one’s curls to the point of straightness (unless one’s “hairdresser” doesn’t know how to apply said chemicals, thereby wrecking one’s hair),… Read more »

CSI
CSI

I would like to know why so many feel that our hair is unacceptable in “the world”. If anything, our own mothers are the ones that made us feel “unacceptable”.…“girl, come over here so I can fix that kitchen”…“you can’t go outside looking like that!”…“you need to get your hair done”, etc.

If anything, I have found more acceptance from the other races than our own. Stop! Meditate! Smile! Our hair is beautiful! So many people would love to have it and I’m so glad I do.…

Brooklyncoily
Brooklyncoily

Why stop at 5 reasons to “disqualify” a person for wanting to wear their hair the way THEY want to. To pair the word “disqualifiers” and hair is just silly — IMO. That’s like the AKC — they have strict standards as to what breed of dog can claim AKC credentials — if a dog is a mixed breed — well you can forget it! If a dog is not ‘up to’ standards of what is deemed a high quality breed — well you can just forget it. They are serious with this stuff. So, when I see all of these… Read more »

beautiful
beautiful

Wow..it just seems like the natural community is becoming so extreme…we are so suppose to be supportive of each other not divided..why are we so focused on someone else’s hair.. The important thing is to worry about ourselves and to be supportive not judgmental…

Barbie
Barbie

Again why does it matter what someone else does with their hair?
What gives you the right to pass judgement?
Live your life the way you want and not based on other people’s code of conduct!

Danderson83
Danderson83

The term “natural” has evolved over the years for me. It use to mean “say it loud, i’m black and i’m proud”. Then it became something I couldn’t be as an african american professional model. Now that I am older and wiser, I follow its original definition “being in accordance with or determined by nature”. That means embracing your skin color, hair color and texture and the genes that will eventually turn your hair gray and spread your hips. With this definition, the term natural is appropriate for women of all races fighting the barrage of messages that tell us… Read more »

Naomi
Naomi

Who made the rules to this whole “natural” thing? Why do people have to define and put labels on everything? Stuff like this just separates our community even more. It pisses me off. Shut up and worry about you and your hair. I’ll be damned if someone came up and said “Oh, you’ve got purple and red in your hair? That’s a chemical, you’re not natural.” “Jet black itsn’t your NATURAL hair color? Mmm, you’re not natural.” And how are black people with wavy or straight hair NOT natural!?!?! It’s the hair that grows form THEIR scalp, just like my… Read more »

D.W.
Reply to  Naomi

+100000000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOTALLY AGREE!!! People spend so much time and energy trying to dictate what everyone else is doing, when at the end of the day what they think don’t really mean a damn thing!! SMH…this post was just pointless!

Ebony
Ebony

**whew!** I’m just so exhausted by all the rules and division. While I understand the importance of Black women finally accepting the strands that come out of their heads, it seems more and more that people are going to the left in the natural hair “community”. I’m a veteran, but it can be very discouraging for the newbie that needs guidance and instruction.

Stephanie
Stephanie

I think we need to be a little more clear about what we mean. Natural hair = Natural hair is anything that grows out of your hair follicles. Natural Texture = The texture of your hair w/o the use of texturizing/perms/heat Natural Color = No dye, no highlights etc… No one should be excluded from the “natural hair movement”, but from what I understand, the “natural hair movement” is about accepting your natural texture. It seems like the majority of people that need help accepting their hair texture are the people without naturally straight hair, so I would say that most… Read more »

Stephanie
Stephanie
Reply to  Stephanie

I meant to say “when I want it straight…” in my Wigs paragraph.

Brokenhearted
Brokenhearted

Wow. This article and some of the comments really made me feel alienated by my own community. I’ve been told I have ‘good hair’ and I’ve come to HATE this term. I’m pretty sure no white person would ever see me as white, nor do I care to be seen as anything white. In fact, I’ve only heard this term ‘good hair’ used by other sisters and brothers—never from a white person. I LOVE being black and I started to wear my hair natural several years ago to embrace who I am. My curl pattern is loose and I’ve wished… Read more »

Tovah
Tovah
Reply to  Brokenhearted

Brokenhearted— I understand how you feel regarding what I see as a sad situation within the black community regarding hair types/textures, kinky vs.looser textured hair. It’s definitely not new. I’ve heard the whole, “oh you’ve got that good hair” or “you must be mixed” or my favorite “you must have indian in your blood”, LOL!!!!!! That one always gets me. The reality is these issues are not going to resolve themselves any time soon, so dear Brokenhearted don’t linger on your hurt feelings. Just realize that we are all fearfully and wonderfully made and inspite of people trying to make… Read more »

Celiena
Celiena

The purpose of the article wasn’t to create segregation of people. I don’t think the purpose of it was to meddle in other’s hair either. However I think it is important to discuss what is natural and what isn’t. Personally I believe it has much to do with one’s mindset. Where I am from, many young women have never worn their natural hair in the public. When asked why don’t they wear their own hair out, many will respond with negative comments about how nappy it is. These people obviously aren’t the same as those who occasionally wear weaves for… Read more »

Tovah
Tovah
Reply to  Celiena

Amen! That’s good Celiena.

Adam Baum

I have been reading the comments on this site and this page for quite some time. I think it is a bit concerning, this self-segregation that is occurring. I find this especially troubling with Americans. If this site is Black Girl Long Hair… but short hair is shown because of whatever reason, that’s fine. When dictating what “natural hair’ is… it would really need to come down to “natural vs synthetic” or “natural state vs unnatural state” — this has nothing to do with racial classification, from what I see. As far as the site, I don’t see why a non-Black… Read more »

Tovah
Tovah
Reply to  Adam Baum

Well said and on point Adam. Thank you for that comment.

Starrybrowneyes
Starrybrowneyes

I’ve read several articles and blog posts on this topic lately, and I have to say that I am truly dismayed by many of the comments. Honestly, I find it disheartening that this is even an issue. First, let me preface this by saying that I am a biracial woman (white mother, black father) with 3b‑c hair. I agree that people who wear their hair in a chemically altered state (color or texturizers) aren’t exactly *natural*… I mean, your hair is no longer in it’s natural state so… I also don’t really think that wearing natural hair under a weave is legitimately *natural*…… Read more »

Starrybrowneyes
Starrybrowneyes

Lu…

Read the post ~ number two is *being non-black*… pretty sure that’s a color reference, not my insecurities as you implied.

Nana
Nana

You hit it with “not black enough” that’s really what this new wave of Natural Militance stems from. Sadly, this attitude perpetuates the racist and selfish ideology that it supposedly fights against: Light vs. Dark, Black-American vs African, Relaxed vs. Natural, Curly vs. Kinky. Apparently a ‘true black’ is someone darkened, African and Kinky. But oh wait, not all Africans look like that either LOL.

I give up :/ It seems that the only people that can identify with ‘the struggle’ are those that have it the “hardest” and thus your complaints and experiences are irrelevant.

merry
merry

the so-called black community has historically been more open to mixed others than whites and asians.

blacks (in the u.s.) have been legally forced to accepted people who are barely black into their communities.

Andrea

Black cummunity as a whole?? No it’s not everyone of us who would treat anyone regardless of race like that! I’m a youtuber and I never degrade anyone or their hair texture!! I could care less really! My dad is mixed race I have allot of mixed/white family members and I love all their textures! Believe me when I say even some full black women with type 4c hair feel excluded too, as if their hair isn’t good enough as it is bcos all they see is lovely loose curls all the time & wish they had hair like mixed… Read more »

Reply to  Andrea

Being told you are “not black enough” is not a minor little petty thing no matter how happy you are with yourself. So what if you were teased for being “Nigerian”. No one in the so-called “black community” is going to force you to the fringe for not being “black enough”. Unfortunately, there are certain ppl who have a certain disdain for “mixed” or looser hair considering it not part of the “natural movement” at all. There is more than youtube out there. Some of the natural hair forums are real serious about deeming themselves the “natural hair police”, and… Read more »

andrea

Its not a minor little petty thing but i was referring to these disqualifies that make her feel what she felt prob back in school etc…so what if i was teased for being nigerian?? i was teased and bullied for being who i am by fellow black people!! Making me want to get a perm then relaxer, so i too did struggle at school and it does matter! what is this natural movement you’re on about??? as far as i’m concerned natural movement to me is stopping the relaxers or whatever etc.. to embrace what God gave you! and so… Read more »

Shaniqua
Reply to  andrea

Actually, HairCrush’s hair isn’t loose at all. She achieves the texture you see in most of her videos with a twist out. She has type 4 hair.

Zoey
Zoey

Oh my word! I think people are bored and just need to chill out. Hair is hair,it’s not a “movement” for goodness sake,what you choose to do with it is your business. Please show me the “rule” book on being natural then we can talk. It seems to me that people are just looking for the next big thing,and thankfully I do me and not some statement drawn up by bored individuals. I belong to a few groups and pages on fb and still don’t understand why people take things soooo seriously instead of sharing ideas,styles,etc… I dye my hair,put… Read more »

Jenn
Jenn

I can’t wait for the day when the ‘natural’ police retire and find a new hobby… I feel as long as you don’t have a perm in your hair, you should be considered natural. I naturally have a dirty brown hair color that I hate and use color (organic & vegan) to dye it black. Ask the natural police, that’s ok so long as it isn’t a lighter color. The truth is, any woman of color (Afro-American, Afro-Carribean, Afro-Latina) who grew up in an environment where they felt their hair looks better chemically straightened and decided to no longer feel the… Read more »

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Jenn

lol, I literally spat out my tea! Yes Jenn, the ‘natural’ police do need to retire already. How did they get employment in the first place when a vacancy was not advertised?

Kai
Kai
Reply to  Jc

HAHAHAHA@ Jenn! I agree! This you are not natural enough thing is getting out out hand!

Jenn
Jenn
Reply to  Jc

LOL @ employment & vacancy! Maybe it was on craigslist, who knows. From the looks of things they are now hiring for comment coordinators who pick apart everyone’s opinion.

What I also think is odd is when it’s ok to wear breads or sister locks, yet wearing a textured weave is a no-no. I just hope that one day all of the nit-picking is over and everyone can just be happy they are no longer dealing with scalp burns, etc.

Natalie
Natalie

Natural means being of African descent below the Sahara Desert and having type 4 hair also Aborigines from Australia. Only people of this group are encouraged to chemically alter their hair texture and are also derided for this hair type.
Adding colour is OK but no treatments that alter your hair type.
Anyone else is not in the natural gang, no 3 types, no non blacks with curly hair, etc, etc, make an exception for me, I believe being natural is not just about your hair but your ethnic descent.
This is my opinion, I’m not asking you to agree with it.

Chirel
Chirel
Reply to  Natalie

Huh! Was this written in a dictionary somewhere?

Dionne
Dionne
Reply to  Natalie

“Natural” does not define a specific group of people. It defines a choice about how you wear your hair. “Type 4’s are definitely not the only subset of curlieswho are pressured to chemically alter their hair, they are not the only people who are derided, teased, and talked about for their hair texture. They are certainly not the only ones who have had difficulties learning to manage their texture because of the lack of information available on how to care for anything other than straight hair. They are not the only ones who have had to overcome the negative feelings… Read more »

AusetAbena
Reply to  Dionne

Co-sign. I agree 100 percent. Even type 3 curlies are derided for not wearing their hair straight, even while people may say they have “the good hair.” I think it’s just as silly for white women to perm their hair as it is for blacks to relax theirs. Why don’t we all just be happy with the hair God gave us? As for color, I just see it as either another way to “have fun” with your hair or another way to insist on not quite accepting fully what God gave you. Just my opinon. Seems no one runs to… Read more »

Caramel
Caramel
Reply to  AusetAbena

Goths dye their hair black.

Me
Me
Reply to  Natalie

Just had to interject here: Aborigine’s typically have type 2 — 3 hair, so how are you willing to include them but not black americans/ biracial americans who have type 4 or 3c hair. I’m confused.

Faye
Reply to  Me

Exactly and their hair is blond usually too…

reallytho
reallytho
Reply to  Natalie

ARE YOU SERIOUS NANTALIE, YOUR POINT IS NOT OPINION, NATURAL DOES NOT REFERENCE ETHNICITY A WHITE WOMEN CAN HAVE NATURAL HAIR IF SHE DOESN’T ALTER IT, DO YOU KNOW WHAT NATURL MEANS, AN AFRO LATINO WITH WAVY HAIR CAN BE NATURAL AND THAT IS A FACT AND NOT OPINION, NATURAL MEANS UN ALTERD,NOT MESSED WITH,IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SKIN COLOR, RACE, ETHNICITY, NATIONALITY. GET A GRIP,YOU MUST BE ONE OF THOSE,SO NATURAL YOU JUST BREATH AIR, A BREATHATARIAN RIGHT. SMH YOU SOUND IGNORANT, GUYS I THINK WE FOUND THE NATURAL POLICE .…OH AND I AM CONFUSED YOU SAID… Read more »

shannon
shannon
Reply to  Natalie

Are you kidding? I’m mainly a 3c and had been feeling the need perm until I was 30 and I’m also of African descent so does that make me half natural??

Next, women are going to have to be jumped in, in order to be considered natural.

Reply to  Natalie

Thank god you’re not asking me to agree with this gobbledegook, because I would strongly have to disagree. It is apparent you have not been exposed to women on a global level because then you would find your words to be untrue. Most curly haired ppl in Western cultural have been “encouraged” to straighten their hair, chemically or otherwise. This practice is not unique to sub-Saharan blacks.

Lorraine Massey ring a bell? Ding dong. Ding dong!

Faye
Reply to  Natalie

LOL! Since when? That MUST BE A JOKE. Since when is there a natural gang?! No 3 types allowed? LMBO! I have 3, 4 and 5 (I made that one up) on my head what does that make me? My ancestry is African, Native American and Welsh, but if you look at me, guess what? You think BLACK!! And guess what? I am STILL GONNA CALL MYSELF NATURAL WHETHER YOU (or any of YOU) like it or not! Under my sometime weave, with my henna colored hair and with it flat ironed straight when I feel like that. NOW WHAT? (While I sit… Read more »

Leelee
Leelee
Reply to  Faye

That should be a skit!!! Honestly!!! Imma work on that!

NIcole
Reply to  Faye

YEEEESSSSS!!!! I will wear my un-permed hair-colored black- under a weave at times, curly or straight on other occasions — whenever I want too and STILL consider myself natural. What?!?! People need to get lives…there are too many other things to worry about then to dissect rather someone has ‘natural’ hair or not.….

Chikeebee

The way i understand it ‘Natural’ means wearing your hair the way it grows out of your scalp. no chemical altering. it doesn’t matter if it’s bone straight or kinky, the skintone of the person dosn’t matter.
if you alter the hair as it grows out, you are no longer natural

Star
Star
Reply to  Chikeebee

I agree, in my opinion, natural hair is hair that has it’s original texture, the way it growns out of the scalp and the texture has not been permanently altered in any way. Temporarily altering your “look” does not mean you are altering your texture”(flat irons, weaves, etc) I think coloring doesn’t disqualify you either, show me a type 4 texture that colored their hair with box color and all of a sudden it’s a type 2 due to the color. exactly. not possible. If that is the case, then how is Henna considered natural when it obviously alters the… Read more »

Reply to  Star

Henna doesn’t permanently loosen everyone’s curl so please don’t bad mouth henna. If you are concerned about your curl pattern, add amla to your henna mix. It helps the curls spring back. I’ve been using henna for over 5 years and my 4ab hair is still 4ab-looking.

Remy
Remy
Reply to  Chikeebee

Agree 100%.. You are right in your opinion of Natural.. and for the record jus because you have a type 4 texture does not mean you struggle with your hair.

Tel8
Reply to  Remy

OMG- THANK YOU! I’ve had ‘type 4’ hair all my life and you know what? It’s curly, cute, perky and not that difficult to deal with. I’ve always had long hair, which is quite strong and resilient, and we’ve always taken good care of it. Transitioning is the most difficulty I’ve ever had with my hair, and it still isn’t anywhere near as bas as some of the stories I’ve heard.

Michelle
Michelle

Some of you really need to calm down. Keep in mind that BGLH is not promoting or agreeing with any of these ideas, but just presenting them for discussion. They’re creating a forum, so I don’t understand why people are blowing up at them.

Candice
Candice
Reply to  Michelle

I was just about to write this same thing! “Disqualifiers” is in quotes, and the subtitle is “Are they legitimate?” The article is not divisive. The article is just pointing to something that is already happening within the natural hair community and wanted to facilitate a discussion. I do wonder how women are saying that these qualifiers are a way of dividing black women. That doesn’t make any sense to me. When did being “natural” become the thing to be. If black women want to process their hair, that’s fine. You’re in the majority. You are part of the “processed… Read more »

Michelle
Michelle
Reply to  Michelle

Also, you all really need to cool with the metaphors. This is not the same as how Hitler separated the Jews, or how slave masters separated the slaves. Those are actual historical events with long-lasting, permanent damages to their respective communities, and to compare them to a little in-community “house war” is offensive. It’s never that serious. I don’t care about the rest of the disqualifiers, but I will say that although I think being “natural” extends outside the black community, I don’t think it really extends to white people. Being natural may not come off as a political movement,… Read more »

Star
Star
Reply to  Michelle

I do know a white girl who relaxes her hair, in her opinion, her hair is BIG (something us black naturals covet)frizzy and out of control. She relaxes her hair bone straight so she won’t have to blow dry and flat iron EVERY single morning. She says that her husband (who is also white) encourages her to relax her hair because he likes it smooth and bone straight as well and when it gets big and frizzy he makes comments like: It’s time for your relaxer isn’t it? I’ve seen pics of her hair prior to relaxing it and I… Read more »

Star
Star
Reply to  Star

sorry about the typos, but you get my drift 🙂

Reply to  Michelle

Not to bust your bubble, Michelle, but most white women don’t believe the hype of about themselves. It’s an illusion. So when a curly haired white woman decides to embrace her natural curls despite pressure (white folks apply it to. Don’t believe me, work in retail and conversate with the customers about their looks!) she, too, going natural. Perhaps you’ve never heard of Lorraine Massey.

Melody
Melody

Michelle, I am a white woman and I have 3c/4 hair, four different curl patterns around my head, and capacity for a crazy poof. I love this blog because I do relate to so much of it and because I too feel pressure for the “white, flowy” hair that I can’t achieve without chemicals. It really seems to me that being “natural” should be about what kind of hair grows out of your scalp rather than the color of your skin… it’s just as impossible for me to get flowy, typically caucasian hair without chemicals as it is for you.… Read more »

locem
locem

First off the word “natural” does not just belong to Black people! BUT if you want to look at the context of the word “natural” WITHIN the Black community it is definitely referring to ones natural texture of hair with most of the stress being placed on natural hair that is coarse, curly, and kinky <— such hair being historically shunned. So when we get into this whole “who is natural” debate I think of those particular women and men who PUBLICLY wear their hair in a hair style that shows their ethnic identity (because hair is an ethnic trait)… Read more »

Oluchi

Dyes does not always mean chemical : …it’s possible to use natural dye, or sun bleach.

I heard Texturizers are relaxers but they are not left as long.

Melissa
Melissa

Natural to me just means a person wears their hair how it grows out of their scalp; no permanent altering of the texture/curl pattern. In other words, no relaxers. Me, personally, I’m kinda leery of Henna. Although it’s not a chemical, it permanently alters/loosens a person’s curl pattern, BUT that’s just my own personal concern/opinion, though (I don’t force it on anyone). I think the problem with all the “natural technicalities” is people are taking their person convictions/opinions and applying it to every one else like it’s a “law”…The “fact” is natural means “no relaxer.” All the other fine print… Read more »

Nickie
Nickie
Reply to  Melissa

Thank you for saying that. Not everyone has the time nor patience to manage their kinks and coils, therefore if using henna to loosen texture naturally is an option to each his/her own. It’s all about personal preference.

Kay
Kay

OMG, the link to the smackdown about Miss Jessie’s is hilar! I agree that natural to me is without chemically altering your curl pattern, i.e. no relaxers, texturizers, etc. But…who really cares!! It’s your hair and your life. Whatever floated your boat!

JAMICAL
JAMICAL
Reply to  Kay

Exactly

merry
merry

why is it such a big deal that some people may not consider others as naturals?

Faye
Reply to  merry

I think the big deal is not what they think, it’s more about what they say and how they behave towards others…

cygnet
cygnet
Reply to  merry

This is not me throwing shade or copping an attitude, Merry, I’m just answering your question. Understand, please, that I feel strongly about what I’m saying, and I’m saying it to everyone, not just you. Any woman may consider anything she wants about whether or not others are natural, and as long as she respectfully keeps it within her own boundaries—doing her, and respecting others’ right and responsibility to do likewise—she has no problem out of me. However, the minute she gets two-faced with it—getting up in arms over whatever she interprets as a slight or attack of her choices for herself,… Read more »

Claire
Claire

I think that we should allow room in our vast diaspora for all types of styles and attitudes about style. So called naturals are not enlightened simply because they decide to sport a twa or a BAA. Its about embracing who you are so that you can also see the beauty in others. If a sister is still relaxing and she asks me questions, I will tell her how freeing it is. but I will also caution her that her decision should be based upon her own heart. Not a trend, not a cute style she wants to try. But,… Read more »

Andrea

I don’t think natural hair is a trend?? There we go “segregation” again! I know many older natural haired sisters feel that they have been doing this for so long & now people wanna join the bandwagon ‑_- soooooooo what???! We should all be happy for each other & if it doesn’t wrk out for some then so be it! Becoming a natural haired sister is more than a trend, it does mean alot to us new ones! I originally wanted to grow my natural hair a few years bk bcos I was curious about my hair & I got… Read more »

Netra
Netra

Smh I barely read comments cause I HATE(iknowstrongword) to see stuff like this. I feel lke it still keep us divided kinky vs wavy natural vs perm its just to much. I try and teach my son not to judge people based on hair,clothes or the color of someone’s skin. If what someone does to themselves do not directly affect you, why worry about it. NATURAL POLICE GET A LIFE

Merinofro
Merinofro

How about this.…. If you dont have a weave, extensions, or a wig on, that is your natural hair growing out of your head. Therefore, it does not matter what race you are. Your hair is straight, wavy, curly, very curly or extremely curly. Most women around the world have some kind of curls to contend with. The question here is one of process.… Hair with no proccessing up to hair which is chemically altered- totally unlike the stuff as it grows out the head, and will become the new growth.…. Newsflash.….. Happy people can be processed or unprocessed.… And miserable… Read more »

Goldeelocks

Gracious. So many different opinions. I just had this discussion with a friend this weekend and not once thought that some hair types could/should be “disqualified” from being considered a “natural hair” diva. Everyone has their own perception.

Javann
Javann

I’ve been perm-free since 1995. I’ve had locks, color, a horrible spat with a texturizer early on, kinky twists, wigs, tracks, you name it, I’ve tried it. Part of the beauty of our hair is the variety of what we can do with it. One of my biggest struggles has been growing out my hair. I have crazy shrinkage so that literally the longer it gets, the shorter it gets. Doesn’t help that it’s not very thick. Also, I’ve had hairline issues and nothing has helped (no suggestions please because more than likely, outside of a hair transplant and transdermal… Read more »

Faye
Reply to  Javann

Thank you. I have been growing out my hair (transitioning) under a weave because last time I was natural I cut my hair down to NOTHING (less than an inch) and wanted to do it differently this time. I refuse to allow anyone to make me feel as if I am not whatever I say I am. Period.

Thin and Natural

This is just one more thing for black women and women in general to pit themselves against! The only thing on here that made any sense as far as being “natural” goes is getting a texturizer. YOu leave that mess long enough it will straighten your hair. It’s nothing but a weak relaxer. The point of the “natural” hair movement was to take the shame out of wearing your own god given tresses, NOT to vilify others for the choices they make. Must everything be a competition? I think SOME PPL have used this so-called movement as a way to… Read more »

cygnet
cygnet

*Standing ovation!*

CuteKinks

The world does not have to love you and your hair.” .…This needs to be said again, and again, and again.

Chara
Chara

I feel that qualifier number 4 has it backwards. I have type 3 curls (for those familiar with that system) and I have natural co-workers who are type 4 and many times their attitude toward me is “I’m not not black enough” or ” you’ve got good hair, what are you complaining about?” I whole-heatedly feel like I am part of the natural community; however it doesn’t always embrace me.

Rhonda
Rhonda

I’ll preface my comment/question by saying that I’m aware I may offend some people but that’s truly not my intention. I guess it’s obvious that I’m going to address the non-black issue. If person A was describing a woman to person B and one of the descriptives is she’s natural or going natural, I’m pretty sure that person B would be picturing a Black woman. That’s where it started and what’s wrong with that? I always thought “natural” was used because it’s something unique to us. It’s never been out of the ordinary to see a White, Asian, Hispanic, or… Read more »

Reply to  Rhonda

See, the problem with wanting to have “your own”, as you put it, is that we are NOT alone on this planet. You cannot copyright a body part! lol This is the kind of thinking that breeds elitism because it really isn’t based on anything substantial. Even in this little “natural” haired community, you are going to have folks, for example, disagreeing about the word “nappy”, whether or not it is acceptable or appropriate. Some ppl embrace it and some ppl are vilified by it. Ample behinds, curves, plump lips and nappy hair etc, ad nauseum, are not the sole… Read more »

Barbara
Barbara
Reply to  Rhonda

Thank you so much. It’s like UNCF giving out scholarships to white kids; from the arguments here, I can see some going “why not?’ SMH

Adam Baum
Adam Baum
Reply to  Barbara

Interesting point. So, should the children of Clarence Thomas or Will Smith be considered “disadvantaged” as all Black Americans where when UNCF was started? I’ve noticed that a lot of Universiies have programmes for “disadvantaged” students, where the only qualifier for being disadvantaged is being Black or Latino — which leads to a lot of selective application where admission is given to “underprivileged” persons that support the same system that perpetuates the very system of inequality. My point being, a lot of concepts of “race” that we perpetuate today are antiquated and only held in place by perpetuation of these… Read more »

Tracy P
Tracy P

I find these dis ‑qualifactions to be so exclusive it crazy ! To me “natural ” means chemical free. Bottom line I feel that something that was to make women feel beautiful has become hateful. I have thick wavy hair and I used to relax it to make it eeasier for me because I’m “tender headed” tight braids, heavy products don’t appeal to me, so embracing my wavy hair was my way of emmbracing my true self. I never did a big chop so that would disqualify me as well according to the “natural hair Goddesses”. People let’s stop being… Read more »

Likewaterforchocolate
Likewaterforchocolate

I am generally ant-Natural Nazi regime. If you are wearing your hair the way in which it grows from your scalp, you are naturaL regardless of hair texture. If you are not CHEMICALLY altering the texture of your own hair, you are natural. Flat Ironing- is natural because although it alters the hair texture, it is meant to be temporary and you hair reverts. I consider these people to be staright-haired naturals. I do not flat iron because looser textures have greater chances not losing their natural curl pattern and I am afraid to lose my kinks. Texturizers- same chemicals as… Read more »

Richelle
Richelle

I’m black with 4c hair and live in California among a diverse group of people rocking their hair any way they see fit. All I have to add is live and let live. Seriously, I come here for tips on how to comb my hair, not bash others. Or make judgements on them about their hair choices. One Love.

God bless.

Kayla
Kayla

I believe that being “natural” as far as hair goes means sporting your hair in its natural state with no chemicals in it. I don’t care if you’re Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, or Middle Eastern; if you don’t have chemicals in your hair, IT’S NATURAL.

I would not consider a texturizer to be natural solely because it uses chemicals. Everything else on the list I would consider natural.

But honestly, I don’t care if someone has a relaxer, a texturizer or a weave. Someone else’s hair really is not that big a deal to me.

Cece
Cece

I don’t think putting a color in your hair makes you less natural. I want to put a color in my hair because my hair has darkened up over the years from a red to an extremely dark brown. Does wanting to go back to my original hair color make me less natural if I have to do it be a chemical means? What if I do it with a natural dye is okay then because it grew in the ground? I haven’t put a color in because I don’t want the chemicals on my hair and in my scalp.… Read more »

Jillian
Jillian

Being natural is always being YOU. Hair, race, whatever, simply an extension of who you are. You’re a SOUL. You have a BODY.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/9.jpg[/img]

Amen
Amen
Reply to  Jillian

Preach!

killahkurlz

i think its childish and ignorant to say she s not natural because she wears a weave or she dyed her hair. but i think the worst is because her hair isn’t as kinky naturally. this is stupid. its just hair. we NEED to b worried about what our government is doing behind our backs. this natural hair thing is just another distraction. wake up! stop being so judgemental and hateful because someone is different from u. ppl just want to belong DANG!!! and ya’ll grown women?

Mimi
Mimi

Seriously? I am considering coloring my hair just because I’m getting a few too many grays in the front and I’m only 39. How does that disqualify me as being natural? I shouldn’t have to go around looking like my grandmother just to be considered ‘natural’.

Barbara
Barbara

I keep seeing references to the “natural hair police” yet nothing on the inclusion police who feel the need to include any and everyone under the sun under our umbrella.

Being non black” Really ***BLACK GIRL*** long hair, really? The other issues, I can see both sides but this one? No, no way in hell can a non black woman who doesn’t color or flat iron her hair remotely the same culturally as a black woman who does not relax, not by a long shot.

Rhonda
Rhonda
Reply to  Barbara

Reply to  Rhonda

Agree 100%

cygnet
cygnet

The politics and history of hair and its resulting issues do not enter into my definition of natural. I see the politics of hair as something totally distinct from the definition of natural as I define it, and the way I define natural applies to too many other things for me to just limit it to the politics of hair. I define natural to mean “as it originally is/was; without artifice; without artificial alteration or intervention; as God causes it to naturally happen or be”. According to this and other relevant definitions that can be found in dictionaries and thesauri,… Read more »

lilkunta
lilkunta

i agree that angela simmons shouldnt have been featured.
she is natural not by choice but by default. her hair stylist told her she didnt need to relax bc she wears wigs and weaves. angela doesnt pre poo or oil saturate or seal her ends or anything. she has the money to not have to worry.

curious kinks

I think there is more education to be done on BLACK BEAUTY and indeed what “Natural” hair means. A black girl with straight hair is as natural as a black girl with kinky hair, although the societal pressure both face might be different. I think us blacks, particularly African American have a long way to go on accepting ourselves the way God created us
curiouskinks.blogspot.com

Olivia Lane

Most things on that list should get a pass. A white/bi-racial girls with naturally kinky hair? OK. Whatever. But a sister with a texturizer? Um, no. That’s a chemical relaxer! Doesn’t “natural” in the context of this web community refer only to hair texture?

Christelle
Christelle

My two cents: 1st disqualifyer: Irrelevant. The hair has just chged color(whatever the newcolor may it blond or black) 2nd: Irrelevant. Natural means the hair that grows on your head. So lol have we to be 1000% sth to have this(plus even japanese can have NATURAL fros xD true stiry) 3rd: Don’t know (what a texturizer is ..Actually I see more or less what that is though) Natural is not using ways to modify the hair in a permanent way (in my opinion)..Using chemical products..Moisturizer is chemical right, even commercialized castor oil.So.. 4th: IRRELEVANT The texture of hair change!!!!!!!!!!! Any natural should know… Read more »

Christelle
Christelle

oh sorry for all the mistakes:P

*do we have to be
**true story
***..oil castor is..
**** with oilS..the braids (LOL)

Caramel
Caramel

Bang Bang Bang! Its the natural hair police!!!.….….….…

MarieCookiiee
MarieCookiiee

how long does it take to grow out natural hair ?!

intlgrrl
intlgrrl

Being a natural, I feel mean embracing who you are as a person. For some reason, with women (Especially Black women), their hair is an issue. I went to school with Jewish girls, Bi-racial girls, and girls whose ethnicity I wasn’t sure of, that had hair kinkier and curlier than mine. One of the Jewish girls used to get a relaxer! Going natural for Black women, I think is a bigger deal, because of being taught not just by society, but even by our own families and friends that our hair is unacceptable in its natural state. So to me… Read more »

Dorothy
Dorothy

Black comes in very many shades and types so I really don’t think anyone should face exclusion for not being black enough. A hair type like 3b‑c or even 3a can be very difficult to manage especially when you don’t have the proper tools or knowledge. That is what we the natural community should be concerned with, arming ourselves with knowledge in order to care for ourselves and those around us. When someone colors their hair, with the exception of henna, they are not considered natural, not because their has color, but because they have used a chemical which is… Read more »

Dorothy
Dorothy

oh yeah, and a texturizer? That’s another chemical process

Lisa
Lisa

Natural hair is Natural regardless of the race or ethnicity of the person wearing it. I think people that feel other wise think of natural hair as a way to describe the curly/kinky state of ‘black’ hair. I only hate when people tell me that they’re natural because they only let the relaxer sit on their hair for a little while or just had it put in one section. Boo the second those chemicals touched your hair you were DISQUALIFIED!! Oh and a texturizers will earn you a DQ as well.

Arielifeoma
Arielifeoma

People seriously need to chill and realize that others don’t need their permission to be “natural” according to their own definition. At this point in time, when natural hair is becoming more socially acceptable, it actually this kind of elitist attitude that turns off some woman who might otherwise choose to make a different choice for their hair. This list and some of the comments remind me of some stupidity I read on another post where the commentator actually supposed that some people wear locks, especially sisterlocks, in an attempt to look, not ethnic, but Caucasian because, you know, the… Read more »

KD
KD

I really hate that this is even an issue, life is to short and black women as a whole have came to far to let hair issues like this tear them apart. It’s all about what makes you feel beautiful and what you feel is best for you. People have to do what they have to do to get where they are trying to go, I mean it is what it is. If you feel you want to die your hair, relax it, texturize it, put on extensions, put on a wig… in other words whatever works for you! I feel… Read more »

J
J

Natural mean without chemically straightening your hair PERMANENTLY! Non-blacks are NATURAL but some straighten as that is the pressure they are under by the media and peers or themseves. In the black community people don’t evn know what their hair LOOKS like without the weaves and relaxers and for the FIRST time are seeing and discovering thei God-given beauty! ‘__’ That is why it is soooo emotional, imagine not having looked at your reflection before? It will take a while to get used to it so we yearn to share our experiences and name it going !Natural!. 🙂 I think… Read more »

Rhonda
Rhonda
Reply to  J

Valerie
Valerie

We all have choice and all these opinions are just that points of views In a person is comfortable in their skin that is all which matters. As a black person there have seen many exclusions so how can I now exclude someone because one parent is of a different race. Once the hair is kep clean and well groomed who cares some people use natural as an excuse not to come their hair. I have Braided, worn afro, extensions no extension Relaxer no relaxer. For me I now relax because its convenient( if you are concerned about health it may not… Read more »

eye dark circle

I’ll right away grasp your rss as I can not in finding your e‑mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me realize in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

candice
candice

I say, anyone who has the time to go around debating, accusing, or wasting time on the above disqualifiers is DISQUALIFIED! This is the dumbest crap ever. Do what you do with your hair, and pray for the Natural Hair Police…they need it.

Anon
Anon
Reply to  candice

Sirens wailing.….….…

Ayana
Ayana

Natural Hair” = Hair in its NATURAL state. Period.

That filters out the “wavy-straight”/“non-black” arguments. Even the “weave” argument to a major degree because your hair is still “natural” underneath.

Now pass the mayonnaise.

Ida Burgess
Ida Burgess

I’m going to go non-PC and state the obvious. Natural Hair as a concept was never meant to be inclusive to the following: Non-Black Women-hair texture be damned Mixed Women with wavy or curly hair Black Women with wavy or curly hair Natural hair is targeted at black/mixed women with kinky hair. Tips, techniques, product and service information, and reconciling the social stigmas of KINKY hair is the platform. Understanding and noticing not just the differences but the advantages someone with straighter hair has isn’t something women with KINKY hair should be made to feel guilty of. Mixed and black women with… Read more »

Catherine
Catherine

Why the segregation? All of these sections and hair types.
The only reason to have them is to help people (if does at all), not to separate and judge them.

trackback

[…] natural by those who enjoy dyeing their hair despite the fact that repeated hair coloring alters the texture, even in a slight manner. Nevertheless based on this definition, couldn’t a Caucasian or […]

Shon Jay
Shon Jay

I believe a person has to accept who they are naturally as a spirit. Then and only then can they embrace their natural, God-given features. It’s all about being true to you. There is a song that is all about that.

Peace, ladies!

AC
AC

I’m not here to disqualify anyone I’m just SO SO TIRED of the “texturizer” discussion. A texturizer is a relaxer!!!! Looks like one, smells like one, burn/tingles like one and straightens like one. They are the same thing, I’m tired of the misinformation and girls saying they’re cutting all their relaxed hair off to “texlax” in hopes of achieving curls that may or may not appear. This process does straighten hair because it is a relaxer not a jherri curl lol…that is all.

Any type of relaxer makes my hair straight…“texlaxing,” all that.

Tashi
Reply to  AC

Ehhh I do not think color disqualifies you because there are several chemical free dyes. Experimenting with colors is fun not self loathing. Dying your dreads purple in no way says you are running from your ethnicity. Yes I feel the natural movement to remain black. Can we have SOMETHING?!?! Geez Texturizing is cheating. You are disqualified and not natural. That’s not embracing the kink it’s altering it. Constant weaving is not embracing the kink, that’s hiding it. While I know first hand that transition is haaaard. I looked ceily many a night I survived and found some cute braids.… Read more »

Davi
Davi
Reply to  Tashi

Actually… all dyes are chemicals because all things are made of chemicals. Water is a chemical. A more correct statement is to say “natural dyes” or dyes from natural sources vs artificial dyes.

NaturallyWonderful
NaturallyWonderful

First of all, I am natural , but I use a henna dye to cover gray. This does NOT disqualify me as a natural, because the henna dye DOES not have ammonia or any other chemicals in it!!!!! Also having a texturizer does not qualify one as being natural because even though a texturizer allows you to keep some curl, it is still a chemical, like a relaxer. Read the label!! Also for women who are naturally straight or curly/wavy, YES they are part of the natural community, because they are NATURAL!!!!! Do NOT make this a Good hair bad hair thing!!!… Read more »

teppuM
teppuM

I don’t really care about color. Masai warriors use red ochre from clay to color their hair red. Would those guys not qualify as natural either? =p Or does it only matter if it’s a chemical from a box?

The one thing I will say, is that people with more socially acceptable hair types with looser waves and curls should understand that the journey they are on may be different from someone with 4b/4c hair. It’s important to recognize that fact and not stomp all over it. =p

Jamila

People should be allowed to have their hair any way they want without being judged, labeled or excluded. As long as their actions don’t stink of cultural appropriation than I’m fine with it.

Cay James
Cay James

I am not natural but I’ve been natural before so I’ve seen both sides of things. The one thing I have an issue with is when natural nazi’s (and yes I said natural nazi’s which are people who put the issue of being natural or make judgement on those who are not)talk about pride in their hair or that being natural is not difficult yet they have it hidden up under weaves and wigs. In that case you’re natural but it defeats the point that some claim that they are trying to make. How can one chastise someone for not being… Read more »

JENNID
JENNID
Reply to  Cay James

Please stop referring to people as Nazis. That is offensive. What those people did is no comparison of someone judging you on something as stupid as hair care/ style practices.The judgey tone of these people can be bitchy. I would rather be called a Bitch than a Nazi. Please stop.

chris
chris

Texturizers are a definite no no, I didn’t feel I was a true natural until I stopped texturizing my hair, I found it became more of a hassle then it was worth. As far as color goes, I love seeing how color expresses itself on natural hair, I feel it highlights the beauty and texure of natural hair. I don’t consider myself a hair nazi, my decision to go natural was based strictly on my desire to not perm my hair ever again, I just didn’t like how my hair was thinning and the whole 6–8 week ritual of reapplying… Read more »

JENNID
JENNID

Bottom line is if you apply a chemical to your hair you aren’t natural in a superficial sense. However if you have a color or texturizer please know that as a participant on a hair blog or forum you need to state that truthfully. You should not give advice or ask for help without stating the obvious. Its not the chemical process that bothers me but the acting like your hair hasn’t changed. Color makes the hair drier, and for a few alters the natural texture. A textuizer is the same as a relaxer also having the potential to cause… Read more »

Jen
Jen
Reply to  JENNID

When I color my hair it does not change my texture. Even with color i’m still consider myself natural. All heads are not alike.

Lets be real OUR HAIR on average is NOT STRAIGHT OR WAVY! i have never seen an UNMIXED BLACK PERSON with natural STRAIGHT WET AND WAVY HAIR!

Im not saying it’s not possible to have im just saying U would be hard pressed to find it on FULL UNMIXED BLACK PERONe

TO ME if it’s no kinky then u are disqualified.

Toni
Toni
Reply to  more

Ethiopians are black, yet they have a loose curl pattern.

dee
dee
Reply to  Toni

Ethiopians are AFRICAN not black

twincurls
twincurls
Reply to  dee

Black refers to color or race not ethnicity.

Dana

The “Natural” community consists of black and mixed black women of all hair types. Only from Africa do we see the texture of hair targeted specifically by relaxer companies, so only people with african blood count. Color-treated hair, in my opinion is still natural because you can treat your hair with an array of natural products from lemons to cinnamon to henna dye. A texturizer is a relaxer. Period. And as for weaves and wigs hiding natural hair: Some girls and women are not confident enough in their hair and in themselves to break away just yet, but it will come. Others… Read more »

Steph
Steph

I put a dark auburn color in my hair after I big chopped. I still consider myself natural. Naturalness is a state of mind as well as a physical description. I stopped eating pork and red meat and using deodorant with ammonia. I also drink more water, excercise more frequently, and eat more fruits and vegetables. Doesn’t that also qualify as “natural”? My mindset is to stop pointing at other people and focus more on me and my overall health. BTW, My co-worker/friend came to work last week with a beautiful weave, flowing down her back, light brown with streaks… Read more »

Marianne
Marianne

I’m 11, 12 in March. I’ve had a texturizer, 2 as a matter of fact, and I feel that some people are not making what they’re saying clear enough. What if you had a texturizer and stopped. I consider myself natural, because my curl pattern is the same it was before, and I’m not going to get another texturizer. I embrace myself for who I am, and I feel that once you do that, you’re natural. **BTW, none of you are going to tell me ANYTHING about the fact that I’m “too young” and that I “don’t know anything”, because… Read more »

Taki
Reply to  Marianne

0 0i like to stay with my natural color which is black or dye it brown i dont get crazy with it honey bnolde is cool with me red and blue and purple and omg pink is not cute and its to much mostly on people over the age of 12

ragu
ragu

so hair isn’t natural if its naturally straight and you’re black? lol our race is finished.

April
April

The only two I have a problem with, and my opinion doesn’t really matter in the long run, are getting a texturizer, which is clearly a chemical and the antithesis of being natural and being natural under a weave, because you are not really embracing it or putting your nappy hair on the line like so many others. And yes, weave can be a protective style, although it can also be damaging to the hair when done incorrectly. But there are protective styles that can be done with your own hair. Am I petty? Whatever. But before anyone attacks me… Read more »

Tyler
Tyler

Covering your hair with synthetic hair or someone else’s hair that did not grow out if your own head is not “natural” and it doesn’t make sense to call it that. That’s like getting press-on nails and still calling them “natural” because you have nails underneath. No, honey. No.

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  Tyler

There is nothing erong with having a little fun with natural hair by adding some other hair some time.

I Liek Tacos
I Liek Tacos
Reply to  TWA4now

Eh. Something not being ‘natural’ doesn’t make it wrong. I think Tyler’s comment still stands as fact.

TWA4now
TWA4now
Reply to  I Liek Tacos

…true…not saying it’s wrong just be truthful if asked or to the audience.

HRH
HRH

I have trouble with natural women who are always straightening their hair. If the natural hair movement is about acceptance of our natural selves, then why always straighten your hair bone straight like having a perm? If this was the healthy hair movement, by all means. Or wome. who are curl crazy and only wear there hair straight out of permrods. I want to see people wear their hair as it grows out of their heads. But i have a nice curl pattern, so maybe I am speaking from a place of privlege…

Elaina
Elaina
Reply to  HRH

That may be what your prefer, but just because someone wears their hair in a way that isn’t how it grows out of their heads naturally doesn’t mean they’re not natural. So HRH you don’t want to see people wear braids, locks, bantu knots and other natural styles because that doesn’t grow out of a person’s head naturally either.

HRH
HRH
Reply to  Elaina

Not all the time, no. Just like I don’t really want to see people wearing their hair only after it has been shaped by perm rods. Something like locks is obviously a semi permanent situation, and I’m not sure I have as much a problem because it still showcases the nature of natural hair. I understand utilizing a combination of these style frequently, the problem comes when it is rare that you ever show your hair as God has it grow out of your head. That it is always manipulated in some way, and especially in ways that resemble European… Read more »

Ama
Ama

Being natural when it goes for hair just mean that your hair texture is natural. Why a girl who wears weaves can’t be considered as natural? In that case any girl with hair done loke twists braids etc are not natural either. We are not born with braids on our head either. If we can’t dye our hair and be called natural so those who put gel on their can’t be called natural either. It’s an absurd point of view? Yes it is, just like saying that weaves girls are not natural, wavy girls are not natural , being non… Read more »

Aliyah
Aliyah

The only thing that’s not natural is a texturizer

lexie
lexie

a better question would be “does it matter?”. i feel like people are putting way too much energy making it into an exclusive club rather than an encouraging movement

TWA4now
TWA4now

Returning to being natural means different things to different people…the natual underneath was me. I.really didn’t.know.what to do with my hair, I liked the look and feel of the weave, and Iead a busy lifestyle and the weave “seemed” easier. The texturizer, from what a stylist TOLD me, is nothing more than a shorten relaxer. The struggle is real for.any woman when.she embaces her natural hair but WE ARE ridiculed THE MOST…even by each other. We are all in.different stages in.our hair journey…

Elaina
Elaina

No one is considered natural if you’re going to judge by those standards. Damn near everyone is guilty of one or more of those “disqualifiers.”

I Liek Tacos
I Liek Tacos

Calm yourself. Not sure why stating an article stating a fact could trigger you lmfao. It is rooted in black culture. Doesn’t mean other ethnicity can’t join the movement, but it also does not remove this fact. Get over it.

Bre Wiggs
Bre Wiggs

I nearly lost it at “it’s true that the natural hair movement began with, and is firmly rooted in black culture.” For crying out loud, who cares?! People are so consumed in this natural hair crap and what “disqualifies you.” This is how my hair grows and this what my God has given me. It’s that simple. If I choose to cut, dye, weave, and style MY HAIR, it shouldn’t be anyone else’s problem. I’ve embraced my natural hair, but I refuse to be a part of the “natural hair community” because of some of the simple-minded people within it.… Read more »

Marlena Tyrell
Marlena Tyrell

Being natural to me means a couple of things. Regarding the physical hair itself, it means not using any process,(chemical or not) to maintain a long term texture that is different than what grows out of your scalp. Psychologically it means loving the hair that grows out of your scalp (tight kinks to bone straight) and having no shame in displaying your unaltered hair. ALL women at some time have, “issues” with their hair, so I don’t think it’s fair to criticize people from calling themselves “natural”