Nikki // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Feb 24, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
N:
My name is Nikki. I’m currently living in Duluth, Georgia and reppin’ Jackson, Mississippi. I am a Certified/Licensed Massage Therapist.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
N:
I decided to go natural because I was so tired of getting burned by perms and my hair was starting to get really boring. It was time to try something a little bit more appealing to my personality.

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
N:
I started my transition September 2009. But my plans were not to wear my hair in its natural state. I was still getting it flat ironed and didn’t have any thoughts of letting my kinky curls come out to play. So the first year I was flat ironing and wearing sew-ins.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
N:
Going natural has affected me in such a positive way. It made me realize how I was hiding behind my hair. For years I was thinking I couldn’t go natural because I would look like a boy or my hair wouldn’t look right because it is too thick and coarse. It is totally opposite, I tried it and love it! If anything, going natural has built my confidence higher than anything. Also, it has given me so much patience. Before this, I did not want to spend a whole day on hair and most definitely didn’t want to spend half a day in a salon chair. I love doing my hair and don’t mind playing in it all day.

How would you describe your hair?
N:
I don’t do the hair typing thing because a number really can’t describe all the patterns that are going on in my head. I would describe my hair as being very thick and very coarse. My hair in the back and sides are the kinkiest and always the driest. I have to put more product in those areas than others to make sure it gets enough moisture. The crown and front of my hair are not as tight as the back and are very soft and manageable. I have A LOT of shrinkage. I tend not to do “wash n’ go’s” because of how bad my hair shrinks.

What is your regimen?
N:
I wash my hair every two weeks and that is only if I didn’t use too much product. If I have used several different products, I will wash once a week. I wash my hair with Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo or Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Shampoo. I deep condition every time I wash my hair with either Aubrey Organics HoneySuckle Rose Conditioner or Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner. At times I may add Honey and Olive Oil to the conditioners.

The leave in conditioners I use are Karen’s Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia, Oyin Handmade Hair Dew, Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk or Kinky Kurly Knot Today. I also use Aloe Vera Juice with most of these products. Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Coconut Oil & Shea Butter is used to seal my hair. Just depending on what I am looking to do for that day is what I will put in my hair. I put this last because I don’t do it often, but when I feel like my hair is really in need of moisture…CO WASH…the conditioners I may use are Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner or Vo5 Moisture Milks Conditioner.

How do you retain length and moisture in your hair?
N:
I retain moisture in my hair by making sure I pay attention to what my hair LOVES. Which means, I watch how it reacts to products and how it acts in the weather when I use those products. Not only that, I keep a journal so it can help me to remember exactly what I used for that day.

I retain length by making sure I do protective styles and also keeping those ends moisturized. I tend to wear my hair in twists or braids during the week and let my hair out on the weekends. If it is out during the week, it is because I have something to do for that evening.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
N:
GETTING A PERM AND KEEPING IT FOR SO LONG!!!!! LOL and flat ironing my hair as much as I did when I transitioned. I had a lot of heat damage and when I did my big chop, I really couldn’t tell what my hair was doing, so now I shy away from heat. Too afraid that I will lose my curl pattern. I blow out my hair probably every 4–6 months, but haven’t flat ironed since May 2010. Also coloring my hair, and not doing the proper maintenance to take care of my hair.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
N:
The most effective thing I do for my hair is making sure I keep it moisturized and twisting it up as my nightly routine. It is a breeze when I do that because I am keeping my hair stretched. When I don’t, my hair doesn’t act right and is very hard to manage.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
N:
You can find me on my Blog: www.knottinikki.com or YouTube: Knottikurls.

Anything else you want to add?
N:
I just want to say, I love wearing the hair that I was born with. Also, if you are considering going natural or you are transitioning, do it because you are trying to be you and love yourself. Don’t do it because you see others and hoping your hair looks like theirs. If it doesn’t, then you may get discouraged and decide that it isn’t for you. If you go in it like you love yourself and you are beautiful with or without hair, you will appreciate it. Like I said before, my hair has given me a lot of patience and more confidence. I have been loving every aspect of myself ever since I have been on this journey!!!!

About Meosha

Afrikaner
Afrikaner

I think I’m in love with a girl…:D
Gorgeous hair, gorgeous girl and I’m in Love with her tattoo!!!

QT
QT
Reply to  Afrikaner

Hahaha I feel the same way and I’m not even gay. 😀

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  Afrikaner

@QT: It’s possible to think a woman is pretty with out being gay. The “no homo” type comments folks make are so not cool.

Naturalbelle
Naturalbelle
Reply to  mangomadness

Yeah, I am pretty sure, there was no malice in QT’s comment, however, I must agree…i am so over the “no homo” comment that folks feel compelled to make when they compliment someone of the same sex. A woman complimenting a beutiful woman (man for that matter) is just that…a compliment.

People should not assume that one is gay, just because that choose to be complimentary.

So, again, I am with you…can we bury that phrase.

Also, I cant leave without giving this young woman props, for being beautiful and having gorgeous hair and skin.

From one Mississippi G.R.I.T.S to another!

Cheri V
Cheri V
Reply to  Naturalbelle

@mangomadness & QT:
I think the “im not even gay” comment was referring to the previous commenter’s statement “I think I’m in love with a girl”. Thereby making the and “im not even gay” remark relevant because you COULD view the first commenter’s remarks as homosexual.

Now back to Ms. Nikki’s STUNNING hair and equally stunning tattoo…mad props boo.

Dominique
Dominique
Reply to  Cheri V

A homosexual woman/girl is not going to say “I think I’m in love with a girl”, because it’s expected of her to be attracted to other girls. She’ll just say she thinks she’s in love. I mean, what heterosexual woman have you heard say “I think I’m in love with a man”? QT’s “gay” statement doesn’t match Afrikaner’s very heterosexual comment.

BrandyB
BrandyB
Reply to  Afrikaner

@Afrikaner, I love that tat too! 🙂

Selah
Selah

LOVE!

lesismore

you are stupid gorgeous! and them damn curls are giving me envy!

betty
betty

Love the tattoo.

serita
serita
Reply to  betty

im in love with the tattoo too!!! i cant wait to get my shoulder finished!

and a beautiful head of hair! in love.…

KJ
KJ
Reply to  serita

OMG, yes! That tattoo is SICK!

zyaran
zyaran

Those photos are gorgeous, and look at all of that thick healthy hair. I like the color of reddish brown on the ends, is that a rinse or semi-permnaent color? I see about 3 hairstyles that I might try on my hair :).

Erin B.

Yaaay, Nikki! So proud of you. The photos are amazing and your hair is gorgeous, as usual. Keep it up!

Diane
Diane

This girl is pretay!!! Makes me want to run to the nearest tat shop. Get. It! All. of. IT!

Gloria
Gloria

Like everyone else is saying, I love your hair…but that tattoo is incredible! So vibrant and intricate!

Joyce
Joyce

Your style, your hair, your beauty! Goodness! Love everything about you! You are definitely a fly. I’m taking notes!

IESHA
IESHA

YOU ARE STUNNING I LOVE YOUR HAIR IVE STARTED MY NATURAL HAIR PROCESS TWO MONTHS AGO AND IM LOVING IT…

Melanie
Melanie

Jackson, MS in the house!!! Beautiful girl and hair!

keke
keke

I love her hair!!! Nikki,if u see this comment please tell me what lipstick u have on i love it!

soph
soph

HOTTIE!!!!!!

Sandra Appiah
Sandra Appiah

OMG,Gorgeous hair!!!!!! Honestly that Tattoo is really awesome. Seriously! And what you said about loving your self and the hair you’re born with is so true! 😀

Nika

She rocks! Her hair rocks!

Trini
Trini

Lovely head of hair. I totally agree about the time and patience to do one’s hair. When I used to visit the salon, I would think of all the tasks that I could be doing at home. Now, I can all those and more while doing a deep conditioner at my leisure.

BlackOnyx03
BlackOnyx03

Lovely hair! Great interview.

Tiffany W

Fly hair on a gorge lady.

Keila
Keila

Great article and love your picture collage! You mentioned that you sometimes put olive oil and honey in your conditioners…what does that do for your hair?

Caramel
Caramel

Excellent idea for newbies! She says she keeps a diary about what she uses and the reactions that she gets. So she knows for next time, what her hair likes and what it doesn’t like.

Mia Miata

Dearest Nikki you are absolutely beautiful, and your mane is stunningly gorgeous. I recently tried “Karen’s Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia” leave-in conditioner and I loved it!! I purchased it on my last re-order of her world famous “Luscious Locks Hair Mask” when she was running a special, and it is now a must-have in my maintenance routine. Thank you for sharing with us your regimen with us and your transition to becoming more of the natural beauty that you already are. I have included a picture of myself after having used the “Sweet Ambrosia” followed by Donna Marie’s “Dream Curling… Read more »

Ebony
Ebony

GORGEOUS HAIR AND WOMAN!!!!

Ms. B
Ms. B

I have a question. I am 1 yr 1/2 natural and I do not have near as much length as I see many others have at this stage in their process, is it okay to cowash daily, because all i wear is wash n go puff. For some time I have been wondering if that is my mistake. I wanted to wear protective styling but my hair would always shed so much and be very dry when I took them out. I am so disappointed with my journey that I am considering cutting it all off and wearing it like… Read more »

marita
marita

Nice natural hair n also she wears her styles well I think more black women should go natural n stop using the chemicals in their hair.

Charisma Eclectic

Very free spirited style!

CaliBklyn
CaliBklyn

Ditto on the adoration. The important things to take from this Artticle are 1. Keep a hair journal 2. Don’t go natural because you want your hair to look like someone else’s. Pearls girlina! Your mom & dad genes created not only beauty but brains too.

Knatural
Knatural

Beautiful!!! That Tat is fantastic!!

trackback

[…] Nikki (Featured in February) […]

Janet
Janet

lovely

trackback

[…] her candy-colored curls to her super sweet personality, we absolutely adore our 2012 style icon, […]