7 Ways to Use Castor Oil On Natural Hair

Avatar • Feb 5, 2012

By Eshe Asale

Castor oil contains vitamin E, minerals, proteins, antibacterial and anti-fungicidal properties. Scientists attribute its healing benefits to its unusual chemical composition, which consists of a triglyceride of fatty acids with ricinoleic acid of up to 90 percent. In addition to healing benefits, castor oil also contains anti-inflammatory properties, all of which are related to healthy hair growth. Here are 7 ways to incorporate castor oil into a healthy hair regimen.

1. Added Shine

According to researchers studying the light reflected from hair samples, castor oil hair treatments were found to increase the luster of hair. This effect is caused by castor oil’s ability to coat the hair shaft, sealing in moisture and creating a silkier surface. Dull hair may benefit from the use of castor oil hair treatments, either in conditioners or in the form of a hot oil treatment. For optimum shine, use a hot oil treatment once per month or moisturizing treatments weekly. However, more frequent use than this can result in an oily scalp.

2. Improve Scalp Circulation

Castor oil on your scalp can help to increase circulation. The strengthening effect it has on hair follicles can stimulate hair growth in cases of alopecia, or hair loss.

3. Prevent Hair Loss

The antifungal and antibacterial properties in castor oil are useful in combating scalp infections, such as follliculitus, ringworm and peidra. Infections and scalp disorders are major causes of hair loss. Pathogens and micro-organisms such as viruses, bacteria, fungus and parasites can attack your skin and scalp, leading to bald patches and impeding hair growth.

4. Control Split Ends

Castor oil as a conditioning treatment can help reduce split ends, which in turn prevents hair loss and breakage. Omega 6 essential fatty acids, vitamin E, proteins and other nutrients in castor oil can penetrate dry and damaged hair, smoothing rough cuticles and helping the hair shaft retain moisture. Castor oil has a viscous consistency, so mixing it with lighter oils — such as olive and jojoba — makes it easier to evenly and sufficiently distribute it throughout your hair.

5. Sealing

Castor oil is a popular ingredient in hair products formulated for highly textured hair because it is known for its ability to seal moisture in the hair, combatting the natural dryness of these hair types. Apply it after moisturizing with a water-based product for a long-lasting seal.

6. Treatment of Dry Scalp or Dandruff

Castor oil contains fungicidal, germicidal and insecticidal properties, making it an effective treatment for many causes of dandruff. In addition, castor oil hair treatments seal in moisture when applied to either the hair or the scalp, making it an excellent scalp moisturizer. If you have dry scalp or dandruff, apply castor oil directly to dry areas prior to washing or shampooing the hair.

7. Moisturizing Scalp & Thickening Hair

Omega 6 fatty acids in castor oil help keep your scalp from drying out, while regular use of castor oil may encourage thicker hair growth. Unrefined castor oil is preferred over refined types, because it contains more nutrients and healing properties. Use castor oil for hot oil treatments and scalp massages to stimulate hair growth and keep your hair soft and manageable. Leave the oil in your hair overnight, covered with a plastic cap to trap heat and enhance penetration. In the morning, wash your hair thoroughly with shampoo to remove all traces of castor oil, then style as usual.

Ladies, is castor oil a part of your hair regimen? How do you use it?

Jani
Jani

I find castor oil to be too thick. I hate using it. it just feels sticky and I feel it does nothing for my hair. Maybe I should mix it with some lighter oil such as jojoba??? Any suggestions? I just bought the bottle, and would hate to toss it.

gracie
gracie
Reply to  Jani

Hey Jani — definitely try mixing it before you get rid of it. I use castor oil a lot now but almost never on its own as I find it too sticky as well. Any other oil will do. I like to mix mine with almond oil. You can also use a castor oil mixture for oil cleansing your skin.

NaturalByNature
NaturalByNature
Reply to  Jani

Castor oil is most def. thick but its benefits are amazing. Try mixing it with another oil. Jojoba, Coconut and the essential oils (rosemary, grapeseed, etc). The thickness of it is a minor issue that is easily fixed.

Brit
Brit
Reply to  Jani

mix 2 tbls of these
olive oil
castor oil
coconut oil
mayo
1 egg
1 avocado

leave on one hour as deep conditioning treatment. mix in blender! 😉

Tomica
Tomica
Reply to  Brit

This sounds like a great DC, do you sit under a dryer or anything

Ron Saldanha
Ron Saldanha
Reply to  Jani

This has great reviews and sounds like what you are looking for

Eat.Style.Play
Reply to  Jani

I mix it in some of my conditioners when I co-wash, or when I’m deep conditioning, I also found that mixing it with other oils lighter ones thins it out and you get the properies of it.

Kim
Kim

Yea, it’s sticky but very useful. Use it as a pre-poo and then shampoo it out. You will be amazed at the results. It makes dry hair so soft and manageable! I often add it on top of my deep conditioner, sit under a dryer (nod out for 20–30 mins) then rinse. Again, smooth and well moisturized tresses. For a leave in, I mix an ounce of condish, 1 tsp of aloe Vera juice, castor oil and coconut oil, apply and style. Your hair will feel sooooo silky and stay moisturized for days! I love castor oil for my hair!

Lola
Lola
Reply to  Kim

I use it when I retwist my hair at night. I love it. It’s thick but so is my hair so it is just what I need. I’ve poured some of it into my conditioner for extra moisture. I use the Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner. I just pour some of it in and shake it up.

nodi
nodi
Reply to  Kim

I’ve started using castor oil from 2 days…i’ve straight&silky hair but not so thick.…will it help?

Claire
Claire

I like castor oil. I find that the thickness of it seals in the moisture of my hair very well and assists in keeping my hair manageable and shiny. It is most definitely a crucial part of my regime.

O0oro0O

I love it !! When I was a child my mum used to do “bain d’huile” what u called pre-poo (I guess) with castor oil. I still use it to do so. I mix it with my oil infusion and avocado oil to pre-poo and apply it on my scalp at the same time before washing, otherwise I put some in my homemade butter which I use for my hair and body. Great for my scalp and hair much more when I mix it with thinner oils. My mixture leave my hair so soft, “nourrished”, “strengtened” and I think thicker… Read more »

Etty
Etty
Reply to  O0oro0O

Don’t worry, your french fella got you 😉
And you are absolutely right, “bain d’huile” is pre-poo.

O0oro0O
Reply to  Etty

Ouf ^^ ! merci <3

Danielle F.
Danielle F.

I have been using castor oil for a month now and I started using it because I was experiencing thinning from flat ironing. I am doing protective styles and no heat for the next three months along with using the jamacian black castor oil on my scalp 3x’s a week and in my deep conditioner every week! I hope that I se some results! Wish me luck!

Etty
Etty
Reply to  Danielle F.

gOOd luck!!

Etty
Etty
Reply to  Danielle F.

gOOd luck!!

NaturalByNature
NaturalByNature
Reply to  Danielle F.

I didn’t get results in three months but every hair type is different. Mine came in about 6 and i have been using castor oil for a little over a year now. I don’t dilute it as i am use to the thickness now. I wash my hair, condition, section and use a applicator bottle to apply directly to my scalp. I do this once a week and wash every 2–3 weeks. On my ends and the rest of my hair, I use a shea butter, coconut & castor oil mix. I use the mix almost everyday as I make… Read more »

nelle
nelle

i use it to press my hair.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/mypress2.jpg[/img]

O0oro0O
Reply to  nelle

Do you mean u use it for flat ironing ? If so how ? I really don’t get it…
(I think to press hair mean to flat iron am I wrong ? :s)

Etty
Etty
Reply to  O0oro0O

No, you’re not (decidement ^_^)
To flat iron means to press.

Kanya
Kanya
Reply to  O0oro0O

lol Hot combing also means to press so yes she is correct. She most likely is not talking about flat ironing.

Rochelle
Reply to  O0oro0O

I’m 41 yrs old and grew up in the era of ‘pressing’ or straightening the hair — I did not get a perm until the age of 16. ‘Pressing’ means to hot comb the hair. I have never known this term to apply to the flat iron…?

nelle
nelle
Reply to  O0oro0O

Hi, I don’t flat iron, I press my hair every couple of months for a change in style. When I press my hair, I mean I use the hot comb. I use the castor oil to protect my hair from being damaged from the heat of the hot comb. A lot of people have their personal issues w/ hot combs, but my hair is very healthy.

O0oro0O
Reply to  nelle

Ok I’ve learnt something new thank you all for the answer. I guess if you still use it, it means it works great for you but I’m a little surprised and curious no “fried” effects ? How do you use it ?(i.e on wet/dry hair, the amount ? whole hair or sections by sections?)

nelle
nelle
Reply to  O0oro0O

blowdry first then hot comb section by section. Nope! no fried hair! lol.

sydney
sydney
Reply to  O0oro0O

Also, it is important to use a hot comb with heat control settings or if it’s the stove type, make sure it’s not too hot. The same is true for a flat iron. Some would agree that hot combs get to the roots easier than flat irons.

Eat.Style.Play
Reply to  nelle

regardless of if you pressed it or flatironed it you pressed it into a straightened state O_O lol. Anyway you hair looks amazing. So how did you do it? I haven’t attempted to press my hair since being natural it’s too complicated.

Glenda M.
Glenda M.

I use castor oil in my daily spritz, deep conditioner, my edges, and for sealing. I love it!

caribbeancurl
caribbeancurl

After I have washed, conditioned, moisturized and sealed hair, I add castor oil to the ENDS only. I do this because they are the most fragile and the castor oil is way too heavy to apply to my whole head. So I put on ends only at the precise time that i am doing whatever protective style for the week.
However what is the difference (in terms of effects on the hair) between the black castor oil and plain castor oil?

penney
penney

growing up my mom would mix castor oil, olive oil with vaseline and after a wash she would grease us up and braid our hair. i am convinced that treatment as a child is why my hair is fairly un-destructable and thick and healthy. Now with my new bc, i will start using it again.

Tonia
Tonia

My hair love castor oil..I use it as a sealent and for my dc. I use the black castor oil for a thin spot on my scalp.

LBell
LBell

Like shea butter, castor oil is too heavy for my fine strands. I prefer it in a spritz (usually 1/8 oil to 7/8 water and other oils) or in an oil blend (Urban Bush Babes’ Cipriana’s Love Potion #9 is working well right now).

I have used all kinds of castor oil, from the stuff in the laxative aisle at the supermarket to JBCO, and have never noticed any significant differences between them.

Lovey
Lovey
Reply to  LBell

That’s because youre using the refined one, go to a health food store and purchase organic where all the nutrients are still intact.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Lovey

As I said, I have used ALL kinds, and in fact most of them HAVE been natural and organic. In fact my current bottle is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Heritage-Products-Castor-Christi-Ounces/dp/B001ECQ9EO I restate my claim: I have never noticed any significant difference between ANY of them. They have all kept my hair very soft when used in the appropriate amount (again, for MY hair, very little). That said, I’m not using it to try to grow hair. When I lost my edges some years back, I used plain olive oil and (more importantly IMO) left them alone and they grew back just fine.… Read more »

Ebony
Reply to  LBell

Well, actually castor oil (cold pressed, cold processed) IS very special. I’ve researched the uses of Castor oil, and it is known to stimulate blood flow to the areas of the body in which it is applied.…hence enhancing hair growth. I suggest you Google “Castor oil Therapy” for more info. on the amazing properties of cold pressed, cold processed Castor oil.

LWalker
LWalker
Reply to  Ebony

ok i guess i goofed because i brought the laxative kind where do i find the unrefined natural castor oil????

Lydia
Lydia

I love castor oil for my hair. It is too thick for any other use but perfect for my hair. Use it on my scalp and edges and it does such a great job for softening my hair. Also use it on my eyebrows and eye lashes almost every night and it is great for that too.

Matlhodi
Reply to  Lydia

On eyebrows huh…(copying this)

Cardenie

I use castor oil as a sealant. A curly fro is my go-to style now and every night I water my ends, add my leave-in condish, and seal with castor oil and twist my hair. Still dealing with post-partum shedding and this has helped me with that a lot.

df
df

i used it to grow in my thin eyebrows recently and use it to massage my scalp and edges for growth.…

I can’t use it as a sealant by itself but I do use and love burnt sugar which is mostly castor oil

NaturalByNature
NaturalByNature
Reply to  df

I don’t use it on my eyebrows but i do remember when I was younger and had trouble sleeping my mother would rub castor oil or vaseline across our eyelids. Her logic was that the weight of it was too heavy for our eyes to remain open. Worked everytime. I do use it to help with my ezcema and its works fine.

nelle
nelle

I forgot to add, when I was preggo w/my son, I drank some to get labour started, it sent me straight to the bathroom, & then to the labour room! Get a docs advise on it 1st of course, but it worked!

CJ Belle
CJ Belle
Reply to  nelle

Ditto here—well not me, but my cousin in England did the same thing! She took two (!) teaspoons, and two-four hours later they were on the way to the labor room too! 🙂

Natalie
Natalie

I use it for my very porous 4ab hair for:

1. Cowashing-apply it to wet sectioned hair (melts my hair into decadent tufts of softness) rinse w/warm water, then condish wash.
2. Sealing (over moistened hair layered with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie).
3. Oiling scalp

I LOVE castor oil!

Tiff G.
Tiff G.

Castor oil has become a staple in my regimen. One thing I learned was to use just a little and mixing with other oils can definitely help.

Beibe

I use castor oil a lot woth great results, I mix it with other lighter oils for my hair and I mix it with my lotion for my skin.

Zyaran
Zyaran

I don’t use that version of Castor Oil mine is the JBCO in the unrefined. I use it on my edges to thicken up more, and when I don’t have any of that left then I will use Wild Growth Oil in the white bottle. It smells just like the castor oil, and has alot of other good oils in it as well. Plus it softens up the hair quite nicely I might add :). ********************************************** The actress Viola Davis from the movie “The Help” is actually Natural and looks gorgeous with her hair. I’ll post the link with all… Read more »

Joan B. in S.C.
Joan B. in S.C.
Reply to  Zyaran

Zyaran, I use Wild Growth Hair Oil, but once reading the article wondered about trying JBCO. Where do you purchase yours? Do you mix anything with the JBCO? Thanks in advance.

mangomadness
mangomadness

I use cold-pressed castor oil to seal my ends and edges. I also do an Lily of the Dessert aloe vera gel/castor oil pre-poo–It has great moisture and slip.

sosoulful_0125
sosoulful_0125

To me castor oil is one of the best oils for my hair. I just go to any pharmacy in the laxative section and pick up my bottle for 2 dollars and change. It makes my hair so thick and fluffy, and a little goes a long way. Who would have ever thought the nasty medicine my grand-mother would make me take before winter would do wonders on my hair.

Pat
Pat

do you know if it could help male pattern baldness? I know that that’s genetic but I feel so sorry for my bf

Aderonke
Aderonke

I use Castor Oil for may hair and it really works! I have to thin it out with Jojoba Oil because it is too thick to use alone. My mix is usually 1(Castor Oil):2(Jojoba Oil) or 1(Castor Oil):3(Jojoba Oil). For this saying it is too thick, try diluting it with another oil. It has really thick up my hair. It is also nice to use in the winter to seal my ends. I also use it on my skin.

Em
Em

I LOVE me some castor oil! I started using it for everything. 1. I use it to cleanse my face, the ‘oil cleansing method’ (I no longer use soap on my face), my skin is radiant, supple, pimple free). I mixed some for my sis with eczema, she called me yesterday to ask me about ordering some more so that she can mix her own, since the dry patches from her eczema are gone. 2. I use it to seal (I mix it with lighter oils) 3. I recently started using it as a base to an oil mix I… Read more »

Honeyysunshyne
Honeyysunshyne

I am a lover of castor oil hair skin wonderful.

Lisa Marie Aldred
Lisa Marie Aldred

i adore castor oil and have a recent convert as i have had it lying around for months b4 attempting to use it. My daughter has really fine hair and i use a tiny bit to braid her hair. It seems greasy at first, but when i take her braids down up to a week later…pure silk! I use it after swimming and i mix 1:1 castor oil and condish and sit in the steam room 4 15mins rinse? and then do 3 braids with condish and a drop of castor oil for a braid out… My hair is in… Read more »

Pucelle
Pucelle

I have used JBCO and I like but there’s no difference between it and regular organic castor aside from the it being “filtered”. I showed it to my mom and my other relatives from Jamaica and they find it questionable since it’ doesn’t have the smell that that it’s supposed to have.

After that I just started buying the organic one.

ReeRee
ReeRee

Many years ago, I got I bad eyebrow wax job. Someone mentioned massaging castor oil into the eyebrows nightly. It really helped them grow back in fully.

Marlene
Marlene

Thank you for the article on ways to use castor oil. I really hate the smell of castor oil. I used on my hair and i realised it makes it kinder straightens it because my hair drys out so fast. I have learnt some more tips on this forum that am going to use and see.
Thanks

Nikki
Nikki

It’s a great pressing oil. way too tacky to use on its own; mix with grapeseed, almond or olive oil, depending on the texture of your hair. I used it as make up remover daily and leave it around my eyes at night. No 50 night creme here!

Didn’t know the fungicidal properties, however, will try as pre-wash oil treatment to see if it helps with my crazy scalp.

Great info. Thanks!

JulesB
JulesB

castor oil is definitely a part of my hair care. I make my own hair sealer with a combination of castor oil, shea butter and some other oils. I have been natural all my life and my hair has gotten longer with my use of castor oil and my other oil mixes.

E.
E.

Last week I ran out of conditioner without knowing. Because my wavy hair tends to frizz and puff out, I searched the bathroom desperately for something to moisturize and seal it. Found a bottle of castor oil. I distributed and scrunched a tiiiiiiny amount on soaking wet hair and it did the job better than any product I have ever tried! I mean, seriously. I had defined waves for days, even after pulling my hair back in clips, and sleeping on it, and so on. A great discovery for me. I will definitely incorporate it into my routine from now… Read more »

ammol_009
ammol_009

I am finding problem with hair loss drastically since from last two month & fortunatlly i come to know that caster oil is one of the best treatment for same so from today onword i am using same wish me luck for same i will post my every update timely base …

Laura
Laura

Thanks for sharing! I actually prefer argan oil for my hair instead of castor oil because it has more benefits and it’s super light on my hair, not greasy. I use Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil (got it online at beyas) and my hair is shinier, healthier, fuller and much stronger 😀

Kim
Kim

I am a lover of castor oil myself. It works wonders as a sealant and thickener and also leaves my hair so soft with beautiful sheen. (I am relaxed, btw). I use in all aspects of my hair care. I don’t know anything about JBCO but I am from the Caribbean and the real unrefined castor oil is brownish in colour with a slight smell and of course, quite thick. I sometimes see transparent and refined castor oils being advertised and I lift my eyebrows with a “really??” expression. Thanks for the lovely post and two thumbs up to the… Read more »

Mnena
Mnena

I do not intend to castigate any hair care products, but something in my hair does not like Dr Miracles products. I am a Nigerian, and most quality hair care products are expensive and out of reach from where I live. Since I want to be natural, I make my own everything. I thought my homemade soap did not clarify my hair well‑I have been shampoo free for 3 months-enter dr miracles conditioning shampoo, enter a bad, very bad mistake! I have experienced the worst shedding since I was born. I am 32. My only comfort was castor oil. I… Read more »

Tish
Tish

I really need help I dyed my natural hair it started to shed leading up to thinning now I have very broken hair want to try the Castro oil but not sure where to get it and how to use it someone please help in really trying not to turn back to weave I want my healthy hair back THANKS IN ADVANCE!! C:

Mnena
Mnena

Tish, where do you live?

Neela
Neela

Hello everyone.

Neela
Neela

Well i recently bought this jamaican african castor oil and jojoba oil bottles. Is that brand good? Has anyone used it ?
It has essential oil in the ingrediants. It doesnt specify more. so i was wondering?.. If it works. And also it has a smell and its in pale yellow coclour.

Neela
Neela

Oh am sorry its Africn Angel.
I would highly appreciate helpful replies 🙂 Please.
Thankyou very much.

sam
sam

can you please tell me which costor hair oil is best and where to buy. thanks

Memphis Latina
Memphis Latina

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/nL.JPG[/img] I have neck length hair. I just started my hair journey Aug 2012 and striving for thick armpit length hair by 2014. My problem is that the center of my scalp is very itchy. I’ve tried oils and shampoos with and tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, castor oil, hot six, doo gro growth oil, cantu shea butter leave-in conditioner, cantu shea butter strong grow, olive oil and nothing is curing the itchness in this top center area. Please help, any advice? I want to control the itchness…I know low manipulation is key to gaining maximum hair length but the… Read more »

Memphis Latina
Memphis Latina
Reply to  Memphis Latina

does massages followed by rollerset everything night help hair growth?

T. Will
T. Will
Reply to  Memphis Latina

Hi, u can still use castor oil, just put in a few(like 3 to 4 n no more) drops of peppermint oil into the bottle. It has a coolong effect but smells.good n should curtail the itch.

Just a thought...
Just a thought...
Reply to  Memphis Latina

Hi Memphis Latina,
Have you considered rinsing your scalp and hair with apple cider vinegar mixed with didstilled water to reduce, if not solve, the itchy problem?

Clearvision
Clearvision
Reply to  Memphis Latina

From what I’ve learned try putting nothing on your scalp… That helped me. I use a aloe Vera juice and distilled water mix I made myself and it helps keep my scalp moisturized and ph balanced. When I put oil it gets so itchy

Clearvision
Clearvision
Reply to  Clearvision

By the way I’ve tried a lot of things too. One day I massaged yoghurt in my scalp and then just rinsed it out. Acv very diluted helps too. You might be sensitive to your shampoo or conditioner. If anything has tea tree oil in it that happens to me. I read the scalp needs to be free to breath and the sebum that comes out is enough

Memphis Latina
Memphis Latina

Has anyone used Alter Ego Energizing Treatment drops? How much should you use? There are no markings on the dropper/droplet and directions make no mention of how much to use after 2 week period? Can you use any oils after using? are there any restrictions on apply before or after?

sarah
sarah

Hi Memphis Latina,

I have found that the trick is to wash hair (I use ORS Shampoo and Conditioner) apply your oils everywhere on your scalp except the crown. I discovered that once when i used doo grow on my crown. It was so unbearable I had to wash it all over. You may also buy shikakai Indian Oil which absolutely soothes the scalp. God bless you.

Memphis Latina
Memphis Latina
Reply to  sarah

Thank you All for your replies! I found my cure in Apple Cider Vinegar…I have done 2 ACV rinses the last two weeks and have felt tremendous relief. I guess my hair shaft were inflammed and reacted badly to Alto Ego Cren Hair Energizer drops…not meant for everyone although I’ve read great reviews 🙁

Rashmi Sharma

I would like to know that i was use the castor oil last night and in the mornig when i washed out my hairs it looks so rough and also my hairs falls a lot. So i just want to know that can i use the castor oil for future is it healthy for my hair growth.

Thanks

Rasmi Sharma

angee
angee

Hey i have silky Hair but they offenly get oily can u plz suggest me what to do

Reese
Reese

Okay, I’m not sure if I’m doing this right but I bought the laxative kind of castor oil. Does that kind still work?

irish

where can I buy castor oil I live in Sydney I went to chemist but they only have the digestive one is it just the same? pls help 🙁

stephanie tabva
stephanie tabva
Reply to  irish

yes its the same as long as its unrefined and pure

shivani
shivani

what is the difference between black and a normal caster oil?
in approx. how many months caster oil start benefiting our hairs?

silky

Mix half kg coconut oil,half kg sesame oil and 100 ml castor oil. Boil the mixture after adding a bunch of curry leaves, a clove and 20 peppercorns. If you need to darken the hair, mix in henna leaves or powder and petals of red hibiscus. Massage this oil into the hair twice a week.

Janine

Thank goodness for Google. Lol. I was wondering what else I could use for my hair after noticing my Jojoba oil running low yesterday. Castor oil received a 1 on the comedogenic ratings scale, which is great in terms of not clogging pores. I’ll use it straight on freshly washed hair to help with the detangling process and then style as usual. If it’s too thick, as others have suggested, then I’ll mix it Hemp seed oil.

arsha kp
arsha kp

aply castor oil on your scalp and massage for awhile(10–15min) ‚apply steam wz a towel .….u can see a great change in texxture and thickness of ur hair.…..dont hesitate to use.….…it realy works.……
God bless u.….

arsha kp
arsha kp

hi frnds.….. one best way to cure dry scalp.…..make paste of banana and put some castor oil and oliv oil in it.. Mix it and apply ‚starting from scalp to tip. After half an hour wash with dove shampoo and dove conditioner( or as per your choice)..pat excess water from hair and let it dry naturally .….now seee howww silky is your hair is…dry scalp is mosturised now.……
Alll the best.…..

zuhrah
zuhrah

can i use castor oil and olive oil as hair food…just applying on scalp without washing it off?

Prajakta
Prajakta

Hi,
Just read your post. Quite informative. Nicely written.I’ve been using Castor oil for a long time. I mix it with Sweet Almond oil in 2:1 ratio. Sweet Almond oil helps in spreading Castor oil as well as its nourishing itself. I keep it for overnight. Twice a week, it helps in hair breakage & loss.

stephanie
stephanie

This is a great article. I’m Haitian and have been using Haitian Black Castor Oil my whole life. My mother used it in my hair and rubbed me down with it anytime I had sore muscles from being rambunctious, lol. You must be careful about your source of castor oil. Much of the oil currently sold in stores is derived from castor seeds that have been heavily sprayed with pesticides, solvent-extracted (hexane is commonly used), deodorized, or otherwise chemically processed, which damages beneficial nutrients and may even contaminate the oil with toxic agents. I find that the online stores are… Read more »

Lisa
Lisa

Love it!I get my Castor oil,my other oils and beauty products on iherb.Com You can also use reward code ZQL811 and checkout and get $10 discount on your first purchase.Check it out girls 😉

Mary Spac
Mary Spac

Morrocan Oil is ok, but I just love Shielo’s new Shine Restore Oil! After shampooing and conditioning, I part dry my hair, add one pump of the Shielo Shine Restore Oil then comb with a wide tooth comb, and either blowdry or airdry depending on my mood. My hairdresser recommended part drying your hair first as it seems to help the oil sink in rather than just slide off with the water on your hair. The Shielo Oil leaves me hair incredibly soft and silky with no flyways (though I didn’t have many to start with) and cuts down drying… Read more »

kris

Hi Everyone,

Did you know that in the 1930s, Edgar Cayce (The Sleeping Prophet) advocated using castor oil for many health ailments, including hair loss. He even came up with a product called Crudoleum Oil for removing castor oil residue prior to washing the hair!

Read about his predictions and health prescriptions. The Association for Research and Enlightenment is the source of all information. His products are still being made according to the ‘recipes’ he channelled! They work, without chemicals and are cheaper than chemicals.

namaste.

kris

Levela Skin Care Review

Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment
form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding
one? Thanks a lot!

pushti shah
pushti shah

effect of castor oil on hair is seen in how many days..???

pushti shah
pushti shah

effect of castor oil is seen in how much time..??

Tinny
Tinny
Reply to  pushti shah

Try a steam treatment for your hair using heated castor oil. Place a shower cap after massaging oil into scalp for about 3 mins. Place a heated towel or put a heat cap/ or hair bonnet for about 15 minutes. This method promotes healthy hair and hair growth. I would recommend this method been done 2- 3 a week for quick results. You can leave the oil overnight too

Tinny
Tinny
Reply to  pushti shah

The more you apply the oil the more faster the results. I would reccomend you leave the oil in your hair overnight. It does make your hair go darker in colour.

Dabney

I Love love love, castor oil! It was essential for helping me get over damage, during a bad dye job. I used castor oil with a moisturizing styling creme to set my hair at night and it worked wonders!

naa
naa

does all types of regular castor oil work the same?

Allison
Allison
Reply to  naa

Jamaican black castor oil is better for hair growth due to it’s high ash content. I use Tropic Isle’s JBCO for an overnight treatment prior to my wash since it’s so viscous(imagine putting syrup in your hair). Mango and Lime JBCO is great for frequent use since its mixed with other oils and has a more pleasing fragrance (I use the one with rosemary oil) — I use it 3–4 times per week at night. In terms of hair growth, it’s only been a month but I have noticed a few changes: - My red highlights have barely gotten brassy.… Read more »

GLORIA REED

CAN I BUST CASTOR OIL PILLS INTO SCALP FOR HAIR TREATMENT

ItsABreeThing
ItsABreeThing
Reply to  GLORIA REED

Not a good idea. Castor oil acts as a laxative and can cause cramps.

Mrs. B
Mrs. B

My hair is very porous, and castor oil is a winner for me. I mist, moisturize, & seal with castor oil then braid nightly. My braid outs are nice, hair growth & retention have improved & after almost 3 yrs natural it looks & feels very healthy. I only put on my hair daily & not my scalp.

PARI
PARI

MY BEST FRIEND IS GETTING MARRIED IN JULY…! CAN MY BOY CUT HAIR GROW UPTO SHOULDER BY USING CASTOR OIL

Denyce

I use castor oil every few days. I like the moisture, but I don’t wash it out, I leave it as a leave in treatment.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/604018_451719821566897_1166947820_n.png[/img]

ballonmodellieren hund

Just want to say your article is as surprising. The clearness for your submit is just excellent and i could suppose you’re knowledgeable on this subject. Fine together with your permission allow me to grasp your feed to keep up to date with imminent post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please continue the rewarding work. ballonmodellieren hund http://tiny.cc/wqlkyw

Lara
Lara

I love to use Castor Oil but I have VERY thick hair. Is the oil okay to put on thick hair? I don’t need my hair any thicker lol

Barbie
Barbie

Hi, I have dreadlocks and live in uk…where in bham can I purchase jamaican black castor oil…for a reasonable price please .…thanks

Natasha
Natasha
Reply to  Barbie

Hi, you can buy the oil from black hair shops such as Beauty Queen. Alternatively I brought a 500ml bottle of castor oil off eBay. Hope this helps!

firozkhan
firozkhan

Where I Can Get Castor Oil In dubai

My con..00971551783834
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/castoroil.jpg[/img]

N
N
Reply to  firozkhan

It’s called ??? ???? (zeit kharwa3)in Arabic. (Have a friend read that to you ) . You’ll find I’m sure because it is popular in arab countries for hair treatments as well

Darius

My wife and I created a Darshana Natural Indian Hair oil with Castor Oil that has been described as “A miracle in a bottle”. Please check it out at http://www.darshanabeauty.com Thanks!

trackback

[…] To read more about Castor Oil, go here and here. […]

Queen
Queen

Pls where can i get Cold Pressed Castor oil in Jos, Nigeria.

Alice
Alice

is it necessary to wash off pure castor oil or can you leave it in your hair as a leave-in conditioner? I like to keep my hair straight & relaxed & I don’t think I need to explain what happens to Black hair when you wash it! from Zimbabwe 🙂

Teddy
Teddy

Am in Tanzania where do I get this pruducts JBCO for my hair?

Aya
Aya

I been using black castor oil for about 6 months now a I been totally natural for a year in a half. I use it for mositurized, deep conditioner, shine and etc. And i have seen effective results. This would always be my number one hair product.

moni
moni

i have 3 questions
1.can i leave the castor oil for the whole night .…heard ppl tell that it shud be applied only for two hours
2.my scalp itches when i apply the castor oil is it okay or i m allergic to it
3 i take equal proportions of olive oil covonut oil and castor oil .…is it okay my scalp itches and can i apply this mixture for the whole night

ntombi
ntombi

I live in souith africa cape town were can I get dis JBCO or does any castor oil work?

Aya
Aya
Reply to  ntombi

Hello Ntombi! I would recommend JBCO. Its really affective. It does wonders. I been using it probably now 7months. I use it daily. You wont be disappointed

Theresa
Theresa
Reply to  ntombi

Any castor oil will help

Chipampe
Chipampe
Reply to  ntombi

Hi Ntombi, i leave inCPT too. I get mine from this website http://natmoisture.co.za/. You order and deposit money in an FNB account. It takes about 7 working days to get to you via regular SA mail. The lady running the website leaves in Johannesburg.

Prerna

Castor Oil is best for Hair growth.

Here is my personnel experience

natural teen
natural teen

i use to use castor oil as part of my regimen but for some reason it made my hair dry and itching and does any one know why because my mom used this in my hair when i was younger and this never happened?

vayon

It’s also good for burns. My niece fell into a charcoal fire, she does not have any scars. I used to be a glass blower and have no scars from the hot glass.

trackback

[…] Castor oil Information gathered from: http://bglh-marketplace.com/2012/02/7‑ways-to-use-castor-oil/ […]

trackback

[…] According to Eshe Asale at Black Girl Long Hair, one of the benefits of castor oil is its ability to prevent hair loss, and that’s because of its antifungal and antibacterial properties. Read the other six reasons as to why you should use castor oil for hair growth. […]

Chel
Chel

I use a 2/3 Castor oil + 1/3 Olive oil mix. It makes my hair sooo shiny and soft without leaving greasy residue on my fingers. My hair is 4a with a little 4b in some areas.

Nicole
Nicole
Reply to  Chel

How often do you use it in your hair?

Unaali
Unaali

wheatgerm oil added to palma christa really grew my hair when applied to my bald spots daily and brushing with a boar bristle brush going for waist length hair mY take up to seven years perhaps if i cease with the dyes i ll acheive my waist length hair length goal in the seven year period. Wish me luck jamacian black castor oil on the market is great foe hair growth hallelujah

kedibone mokonopi
kedibone mokonopi

can i use any castor oil for my hair

kedibone mokonopi
kedibone mokonopi

were can i find this castor oil, i live in klerksdorp in north west

oratilwe
oratilwe

You can find it in dischem, pick n’ pay… anywhere really. I use the hercules range It works really well

Kelly

South Africa doesn’t have a range of great hair products, I too would like to know if any custor oil will do for my hair. But I am cautious when buying hair products now, I look for the first 5 ingredients. I’m on a path of learning about my hair and how to take care of it. I love this blog, I read it every day. Thanks

thokozile
thokozile

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/IMG-20140602–00272.jpg[/img]
I use to have thick hair but it happened unexpectedly to become thinner and develop bald at the back please I want to start these oils am in east london in south africa where do I get them

Mary

Nice post. 🙂 Will definitely use castor oil often. Thanks!

Ranjitha
Ranjitha

if daily i used dis oil its not a prblm .…

Lucresha
Lucresha

Can I mixe the castor oil with a conditioner treatment to use it steam my hair

Naturally Mia
Reply to  Lucresha

Yes. Definitely.

Nicole
Nicole

I have normal- thick long, red, hair and I use castor oil about once a month to repair split ends and moisturize my hair. It’s really greasy and I typically sleep in it and keep it in for 24 hours. It’s improved the health of my hair and I can see the difference in length after using it for about 4 years now. Castor oil is a girls best friend.

thethiwe
thethiwe

Where can I get that castor oil product I live in Bloemfontein

thethiwe
thethiwe

Where can I get the castor oil product in Bloemfontein cause I don’t have hair at all

Aria Starr Beauty

Great post. I have used this Amazing Castor Oil,and it works incredibly well.