6 Reasons Your Hair Is Breaking

3. Have you been experimenting with different products?

Solution: Go back to the old products that gave you better results. While it is true that products by themselves rarely  result in severe breakage (strictly speaking about shampoos and conditioners), sometimes minor problems like a conditioner lacking in slip or a new moisturiser with different humectants can lead to hair breakage. Going back to your default products or fixing the issue with your new product may help.

4. Have you recently used high heat or have you been using heat more frequently when you never used to?

Solution: Stop using heat immediately and begin to ‘baby’ your hair. This means use strengthening protein treatments , ensure that your hair is always moisturised, select low and no manipulation hair styles and be very gentle when handling hair.  to restore strength and if breakage is severe, consider doing a trim to get rid of breaking heat damaged hair.

Long term hair breakage

If your hair has always been breaking  (6 months or longer) then in addition to answering the short term breakage problems, you need to consider

5. Do you really have gentle care and are your products suitable for your hair?

Solution: Change the way you comb your hair , opting for wide tooth combs or an exclusive finger combing routine especially if you have many kinks. Experiment with products including ones that you might overlook, for example silicones in hair conditioners give a lot of slip when combing,  if you prefer a natural oil, do not stick to one especially if it does not work as well as you would like.

6. When was your last trim and do you have a trimming schedule?

Solution:  Trimming is useful to get rid of weathered ends before split ends appear and cause hair breakage. If your hair has been stagnant for a long time, find a trimming schedule that can work for you.

Ladies, do you have breakage? Can you trace it back to any of these reasons?

Previous Page
The Natural Haven

The Natural Haven

Scientist on a hairy mission!
  • Whipped Butters 6 oz Sample Pack — Pick 2

$80.00
    Select options
  • Lavender & Cocoa Blended Butter (Coconut Oil Free, Almond Oil Free)

$19.00$90.00
    Select options
  • Whipped Butters 2.5 OZ Sample Pack – Pick 2

$38.00
    Select options
  • Gingerbread Blended Butter (Coconut Oil Free, Almond Oil Free)

$19.00$90.00
    Select options

Tanya
Tanya

Just moved to a new climate and am trying to establish a new regimen for my hair. This new place is TOTALLY different from where I just lived. I was in Atlanta, where the humidity was my hair’s friend in the summer. However, I’m in the middle east now, and it is extremely arid in the summer, but more humid in the winter. Having to adjust and find products that work. Thanks for the article!

Jamilah
Jamilah

Thanks for this mail..
This is just a confirmation of what i have been going through..I recently just moved from Nigeria to Scotland,where the weathers are at two extremes..
Don’t even know if i would need to cut the hair to just maintain a low cut as everything has fallen of badly.

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Jamilah

Aww….Scotland is cold and the air is dry (humidity is actually quite high – 85-90%……but there is not much water to form water vapour at 0 degrees in winter, so don’t let the humidity figure fool you).

Protective styling for me is a must. I do not moisturise my hair that often (just once a week when I wash my hair) but if I feel the need to then I will opt to use a humidifier at home or just gently mist with water. Protective styling is the most important factor for me.

Jamilah
Jamilah
Reply to  Jc

Can i just ask if you have any particular product you would advise i use????

Tonisha
Tonisha

THANK YOU! i’ve been dealing with long term breakage for y e a r s now, but this was a good starting point to begin addressing it.

Beibe

I have to get more trims and have a regular product. Hopefully I will see a change in hair breakage. Thank you for this info.

Jamilah
Jamilah

Can i just ask if you have any particular product you would advise i use????I cant control the breakage anymore..and its very embarrassing.

Maya
Maya
Reply to  Jamilah

I love Qhemet Biological Olive and Amla Heavy Cream! It’s castor oil based and has been heaven sent since using it. I highly recommended it for moisturizing and their Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee. HTH 🙂

monica
monica

i think im losing hair because of stress andidk what i need to do to keep myself up and not down.. but idk what products will help me stop my hair from breaking… and i just washed my hair today so i had saw alot of shedding and breakage… i need help… tell me what i need to do! :/

robbi

Heat is not good. I can attest. Check out my post on hot comb alopecia:

Charlotte

Ladies I just had an awful experience with hair breakage but I learned a lot from it. Please visit my blog and check out my new regimen and advice on how to overcome hair breakage. Of course, this is my perspective due to why it happened to me, each person will have a different set of circumstances.