6 Reasons Your Hair Is Breaking

Avatar • Feb 1, 2012

By Jc of The Natural Haven

One of the most frequent questions emailed to me is ‘Help! My hair is breaking! What can I do?’  Many women automatically want to jump to trimming hair to solve the problem but there is a better way to permanently solve hair  breakage issues. This method is to critically assess your hair and methods to  determine what caused the breakage.

Recent onset hair breakage

If you have only just noticed that your hair is breaking but previously your hair was in good condition and did not suffer breakage, the first elimination is the way you handle your hair. The methods and tools that you used previously did not harm your hair. The remaining possibilities are changes to your hair, environment and products.

1. Have you recently coloured your hair with permanent colour or bleached it?

Solution: Change your hair products to those intended for colour treated hair. Utilise protein treatments (like Aphogee Two-step Protein Treatment) often which will help strengthen your hair and if necessary change how often you moisturise your hair as colour treated hair has a tendency to be drier.

2. Have you recently moved to a different place (hotter or colder, less humid)?

Solution: Climate makes a difference to your hair with humidity playing a big role in how moisturised your hair is. Consider using humectants such as glycerin, aloe vera and honey to help maintain moisture for longer. Moisturise your hair more often than you normally would and consider covering your hair with a hat or scarf when you venture outside to help retain that moisture. Find or modify your products to  suit the weather where you are currently living.

Next Page

About The Natural Haven

Scientist on a hairy mission!

Tanya
Tanya

Just moved to a new climate and am trying to establish a new regimen for my hair. This new place is TOTALLY different from where I just lived. I was in Atlanta, where the humidity was my hair’s friend in the summer. However, I’m in the middle east now, and it is extremely arid in the summer, but more humid in the winter. Having to adjust and find products that work. Thanks for the article!

Jamilah
Jamilah

Thanks for this mail..
This is just a confirmation of what i have been going through..I recently just moved from Nigeria to Scotland,where the weathers are at two extremes..
Don’t even know if i would need to cut the hair to just maintain a low cut as everything has fallen of badly.

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Jamilah

Aww.…Scotland is cold and the air is dry (humidity is actually quite high — 85–90%.…..but there is not much water to form water vapour at 0 degrees in winter, so don’t let the humidity figure fool you).

Protective styling for me is a must. I do not moisturise my hair that often (just once a week when I wash my hair) but if I feel the need to then I will opt to use a humidifier at home or just gently mist with water. Protective styling is the most important factor for me.

Jamilah
Jamilah
Reply to  Jc

Can i just ask if you have any particular product you would advise i use????

Tonisha
Tonisha

THANK YOU! i’ve been dealing with long term breakage for y e a r s now, but this was a good starting point to begin addressing it.

Beibe

I have to get more trims and have a regular product. Hopefully I will see a change in hair breakage. Thank you for this info.

Jamilah
Jamilah

Can i just ask if you have any particular product you would advise i use????I cant control the breakage anymore..and its very embarrassing.

Maya
Maya
Reply to  Jamilah

I love Qhemet Biological Olive and Amla Heavy Cream! It’s castor oil based and has been heaven sent since using it. I highly recommended it for moisturizing and their Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee. HTH 🙂

monica
monica

i think im losing hair because of stress andidk what i need to do to keep myself up and not down.. but idk what products will help me stop my hair from breaking… and i just washed my hair today so i had saw alot of shedding and breakage… i need help… tell me what i need to do! :/

robbi

Heat is not good. I can attest. Check out my post on hot comb alopecia:

Charlotte

Ladies I just had an awful experience with hair breakage but I learned a lot from it. Please visit my blog and check out my new regimen and advice on how to overcome hair breakage. Of course, this is my perspective due to why it happened to me, each person will have a different set of circumstances.