Gisella // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jan 12, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
G:
My name is Gisella. I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I am a journalist and freelance creative with a passion for blogging about my daily life. On my blog you can find my projects on makeup, styling and photography as well as my loved ones. I also have a regular job with a Norwegian company as a South America Marketing Coordinator.

What is the natural hair scene like in Brazil?
G:
There is a huge amount of girls with curly hair in Brazil both light and dark skinned, but unfortunately since very young, we are “taught” by society and the media that the most beautiful girls have blonde and straight hair. Some girls are breaking free from those absurd ideas and starting to go natural and love curls and volume, but it has been a slow process.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
G:
I was tired of being a slave to extreme, strong hair products that were supposed to control the volume of my curls. After using the products my hair looked straight on the roots and very unhealthy all over, super dry and opaque. I had to stop that in order to be happier about my image. It was also a matter of changing my mind and forgetting all the negative inputs I heard since childhood.

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
G:
It happened around 12 years ago. It was a slow process. I started by having it cut short up to my shoulders. I waited a couple of months and then finally I got a really short haircut and removed all the straight hair. Then I was “free” and natural. But short haired. Hehehe. Going natural is one of the best things I have ever done.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
G:
By the time I got my hair totally natural, volume was not a popular word when it comes to hairstyle in Brazil. We seem very trendy abroad, but on a daily basis people are still a bit late and the new is a little rejected by most people. Until we had the first black girl with natural hair as the main character in a soap opera, I was seen as an attraction on the streets. People used to point me out, children used to laugh, and I was considered “unusual”. And I kinda enjoyed the shocked expressions on their faces. 🙂

How would you describe your hair?
G:
I have thin hair with naturally well-defined curls. It’s light and so has great volume and is very easygoing.

What is your regimen?
G:
I try not to wash my hair too much, but I usually do it around three times a week or more (Rio is a very warm city). 🙂 I don´t know if this is true, but I have the feeling if I use more types of products, my hair performs better. So I use Khiel´s Olive Fruit Oil Collection. I use the same brand of style series and my favs are Creme with Silk Groom and Climate-Proof Shine-Enhancing Non-Aerosol Spray. I also like to use the Kerastase´s Oléo Relax products. Recentlly I discovered my new darling, the Aveda´s Be Curly Kit. For curly hair, foam is a great styling product especially when just applied on the edges.

How do you retain length and moisture in your hair?
G:
I moisturize my hair two times a week, with Khiels and Kerastase masks and have it cut three times a year or so.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
G:
The greatest mistake was not being happy with my natural hair, but I can understand. I was a child and not able to figure out my own ideas and style references. I have learned that accepting your natural features such as hair and body type are the real secret to happiness.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
G:
I remove all the conditioner and apply styling product mainly on the edges. It keeps my hair loose and shiny. When I know I won´t be able to wash it the next day I use a slightly bigger amount of styling product on the first day and use a curls booster on the following days. For that, I suggest Redken´s Fresh Curls Curl Booster.

Where do you buy your hair products?
G:
I buy them anywhere, but Brazil. Beauty products here are ridiculously expensive so I buy when I travel abroad — Khiels and Kerastase in the US and Aveda in London or Oslo. And on the internet in case of emergencies.

What would you like to see in Brazil in terms of hair care?
G:
More effective local products and cheaper international brands. But what I really would like to see is media campaigns promoting natural beauty and self-esteem.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
G:
Oh yes! You can find me on www.gisellafrancisca.com or www.collectiveforusall.tumblr.com.

Anything else you want to add?
G:
Yes. Your natural beauty is what makes you look edgy nowadays. Use all the tools you have to enhance it and make you better love yourself. To be happy with your reflection in the mirror is what will keep your vitality forever. It comes from the inside, not the products we find at the shops, they just make the final adjustments.

About Meosha

tinabobina
tinabobina

You are so beautiful! (Your hair too, of course.) Great interview, and I definitely agree that one’s natural beauty is what makes someone edgy.

mikah
mikah

beautiful hair, beautiful woman. I have what i think might be a very dumb question to all of you in general do you cut your hair a certain way to achieve that rounder or shapelier (in the case of longer hair) look, or basically what you recommend to avoid yield sign hair. My texture is very similar to hers and i just cut my hair to about chin length after transitioning for about 10 months i still have a small amount of relaxed ends but every other time i’ve worn my natural hair my main problem has been the lack… Read more »

Wanda Renee
Wanda Renee

Wow, if they laughed and pointed at her on streets…My naps an I would probably get arrested.lol

Gugu
Gugu
Reply to  Wanda Renee

you are funny mine would be death sentence

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Gugu

I was going to say mine would just get me expelled but now that I think about it…the bullets would be cheaper, lol.

I give a huge side-eye to anybody who’d have an issue with Gisella’s gorgeous head of hair.

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  LBell

=)LOL “mine would just get me expelled but now that I think about it…the bullets would be cheaper, lol.” Same here =)

Gisella your beautiful spirit shines through! And the hair, well…gorgeous!

queofques
queofques
Reply to  LBell

wow u ladies are funny .. but her story is very beautiful. I’m glad she broke free from all the stereotypes. She is proof, as all, beauty is within & shows on the outside, when u luv urself. She knows her worth. 😉

Thayná Eloi
Thayná Eloi

Im natural from rio also!! Girls like samira carvalho & tais araujo inspired me to go natural. Sometimes natural hair is frustrating but am happy to know more brazilian girls are natural (:

Sieta

I love seeing posts from Latin America regarding natural hair. She’s a beautiful woman, I like her style!

Sasha

OMG I love these stories from Brazil … they have many of the same hair struggles I do… nice to see some hair twins in other countries
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/401171_3002075967828_1140203856_33387667_2071799536_n.jpg[/img]

Zenith
Zenith

Adorable face and gorgeous hair! Thanks for sharing your story from Brazil!
I agree with you on the Kerastase Oleo Relax product line. It is expensive , but so worth it. I LOVE their deep conditioner.

Haven;t tried the Khiel’s product, but you have piqued my interest!. Gotta check it out.

I also agree with your hair trimming regimen. I trim mine every 3 months (4x/yr) and have noticed a major difference in the overall health and appearance of my hair.

You look GREAT!!

Chicago Chica

Wonderful interview, and a beautiful woman. Keep loving yourself and your hair. Others will learn.

gisella francisca

I am really happy to read all your nice feedbacks. I think this website is a good inspiration and it is fun to participate and to contribute somehow. Thanks for the opportunity <3

Elegance

Your hair is so beautiful! I love the way you style it. I really love the photos and your fashion style is just amazing…I would wear everything!

Cookie
Cookie

I love seeing these natural hair posts from abroad. Especially from Brazil. I plan on studying there next spring and I’m really interested in what the culture and lifestyle is like there.
Great interview!

renee
renee

.Thanks to all of you natural ladies. I am a health care provider and have fought with this self image with most of my nonwhite clients. It is not an American issue it is a global issue. I am American Indian, Native American. My own race obsesses over light skin blue eyes and red or blond hair. I see the local Hispanic/ Latin American businesses with murals of women with blond hair and blue eyes sprawled across the sides of their buildings. It is very common in the East Indian culture to shun the darker children in the family to… Read more »

girls of brazil calendar 2010

It is the best time to make some plans for the long run and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this put up and if I may I want to recommend you some interesting things or tips. Perhaps you can write next articles relating to this article. I want to read even more things approximately it!

Ames
Ames

I wish her site was HTML, would love to pininterest more of her stuff.

Aylin

I love seeing posts like these. Especially women with natural hair living some where else besides the US.
I found some international blogs on natural hair that may be helpful for others! My biggest thing when traveling is maintaining my hair with the little products that are available overseas. Hope this helps.

You will absolutely love these women! These are women with African ethnicities who grew up abroad in countries with very little natural hair communities.

trackback