Fact or Fiction; 5 Common Hair Remedies

Avatar • Jan 3, 2012

By Jc of The Natural Haven

Finding claims on hair products that look dubious is quite easy. I generally maintain a healthy level of scepticism and it always surprises me when I find that some strange claims almost appear fictional may in fact have some scientific basis. Here are a few interesting ones that I have gathered over the years.

1. Garlic and onion for hair loss

Although garlic and onion are sometimes advertised as hair growth accelerators in truth they have only been shown to be successful in individuals suffering from genuine hair loss and specifically alopecia areata. The reason for success of garlic and onion extracts is thought to be because they help slow the immune system from attacking itself which triggers this type of hair loss. In the study crushed onion juice was directly applied to the scalp (Journal of dermatology, pg 343–346, 2002).

2. Crisco and butter for hair conditioning

Alice of Alice in Nappyland recently featured a traditional Ethiopian treatment kibae which is essentially freshly churned butter as a prepoo with excellent results. On hair forums, crisco is also being promoted as a pre shampoo treatment. Both of these share the common feature that they contain saturated fats which are thought to be able to penetrate hair in the same way coconut oil does (Journal of Cosmetic Science, pg 169–184, 2001). Therefore, there may be some truth to crisco and butter being good conditioners.

Next Page

About The Natural Haven

Scientist on a hairy mission!

Irisi
Irisi

I would have to disagree about garlic not being a growth aid because it contains a good amount of sulfur that was not mentioned. Which is a compound found in many hair products today, I wonder why. My grandmother has been making her garlic oil tonic along with some other ingredients for over 50 years and has been in our family for over 3 generations. It seems to grow anyone’s hair who uses it. Just because “science” has not found a link between the two does not mean it’s worthless. If something is working for you and you see results… Read more »

Rhonda
Rhonda
Reply to  Irisi

Please tell me your grandmother’s magic.I have been thin at the top of my hair
For years and it get to me sometimes. I went natural hoping it would

Help. Not so . I can only wear my hair in few styles.PLEASE HELP ME !THANK YOU

Irisi
Irisi
Reply to  Rhonda

Hello, I’m sorry but my grandmother’s tonic is not for sale nor will she reveal the exact measurements of the ingredients for fear someone will sell it. Have you tried using scalp scrubs?

Rhonda
Rhonda
Reply to  Irisi

Please tell me your grandmother’s magic.I have been thin at the top of my hair
For years and it get to me sometimes. I went natural hoping it would
Help. Not so . I can only wear my hair in Few styles.PLEASE HELP ME ‚ALSO Tell me about the onion and garlic .!THANK YOU

Karen J
Karen J
Reply to  Irisi

I too would love to know your grandmother’s recipe. Since of birth of my two children my hairline has never been the same.

My mother, myself and my youngest daughter have itchy dry scalp. Will try the honey.

Irisi
Irisi
Reply to  Karen J

I wish I could help you but my grandmother does not sell her tonic. She just gives it away for free to anyone who asks for it and if you don’t live on the island of Trinidad well I’m afraid your out of luck. I know the ingredients that she uses but not the proportions and I’m sure that’s the key to it.

Shay
Shay
Reply to  Irisi

Provide ingredients will worry about portions later..

mandy
mandy
Reply to  Irisi

Hey I live in trinidad and I would love to try it!

Marsha
Marsha
Reply to  Irisi

I live in Trinidad (Santa Cruz)and I would love to get in contact with your Granny.

Jennifer
Jennifer
Reply to  Irisi

My family is all over Trinidad. I’ll send someone to go pick it up from your grandmother. Email me please hollywoodtrini@yahoo.com

adamson
Reply to  Irisi

science’? Why refer to it in quotes? ‑__-

hyspin
hyspin

Other oils known to condition hair are Olive oil and Avocado oil. I use those instead of coconut oil because I get itch scalp with coconut oil. Also I find both easier to work with, in addition to their abilities to also add shine, manageability and soften. Plus I don’t like the dry oil feeling coconut oil gives. Two hair remedies I would like to find out more about are Oil rinses and ACV rinses how they really work. I find them to be the most affective additions to my hair care. Oil rinses for single strand knots, and Apple Cider Vinegar… Read more »

Evie
Evie

I tried the black tea rinse for the second time this past weekend becuase my hair has been shedding alot and the shedding did slow down some so I will continue. I have also been taking garlic pills.

I like doing scalp massages becuase it feels good and its relaxing.

Danielle
Danielle

has anyone tried the honey? my scalp gets very dry and I need something to relieve it that works.

niki
niki

I had a friend many years ago who used Crisco on her hair! I thought it was insane but her hair seem to have grown quite a bit. I never used it though, afraid my hair would catch fire while cooking.

adamson

I suggest that you tell your readers to watch out when they’re using coffee (or black tea) in their hair. Lots of people on hair forums have felt sick thereafter, probably due to the amounts of caffeine in it o__O

RHONDA
RHONDA

I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE INFORMATION ON GRANDMOTHER’S SECRET. I THOUGHT THIS SITE WAS TO GIVE INFORMATION THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL TO OTHER PEOPLE. PEOPLE THAT HAS PROBLEMS AND/ OR LOOKING FOR ANSWERS, AS WELL AS TO SHOW WHAT DIFFERENT PRODUCTS ARE BEING USE TO HELP WITH NATURAL (LONG) HAIR. PEOPLE THAT READ THIS SITE AND HAS EXCEPTED THE E‑MAILS WANT INFORMATION FOR HEALTHY AND (LONG HAIR). ALL THE WOMEN I SEE ON THIS SITE IS WOMEN WITH LONG HAIR, AND THEY TELL SOME OF WHAT THEY DO FOR THE UP KEEP OF THEIR HAIR. THERE ARE WOMEN THAT’S… Read more »

firstgeneration
firstgeneration

Hey, just a warning to all you guys “kibae” the ethiopian butter is extremely stinky!! My mother hated it when my aunt did it, and it leaves a smell for days afterwards. Even though the hair would be softer, i don’t think its worth it. LOL trust this coming from a first generation ethiopian.

Colette
Colette

Why do people always do this?
They claim to have a recipe from the Grand-mother, etc. and then don’t help others. What good does it do for anyone? Sounds like a tease to me!

Nanditha
Nanditha

i believe that the knowledge should be shared, else wats the fun in having it

Rafaella
Rafaella

It’s garlic infused in oil (olive, coconut any light oil)!!! You grind a handful of fresh garlic and pour oil over it. Store it in a sterilized glass bottle or jar and store in a dark place for like 3 weeks to one month.If you have no dark place, store in a dark sterilized glass bottle Then you filter the oil and there you go. I believe that’s the recipe cos Italians do the same with their olive oils when they want to spice up their salad dressings. Second option. Grind a lot of garlic into a paste.Put the paste… Read more »