Creating Salon Quality Hair Products at Home

Avatar • Jan 3, 2012

By Jc of The Natural Haven

Natural hair products are growing in popularity. If you are keen to try the newest products on the market but do not wish to spend more as a result, remember that you can simply purchase the relevant ingredient on its own to create your own at home spa experience. Do remember that as you read this some products, notably essential oils, are contraindicated for certain conditions (eg pregnancy, allergies etc).

Scent experience

Essential oils  can change the scent of a lightly scented/non scented conditioner. You can add warm, woody scents like vanilla or peppermint, floral scents like rose and ylangylang and citrus scents like orange or lemon peel. Only a few drops would be required and with practice you can even mix and match the scents. Strongly scented products would not be able to be changed without adding a lot of oil which is not ideal as essential oils can be irritating in large amounts (also why they are often in small bottles with a drop top).

Sensation experience

Have you ever gone to a salon and had a hair conditioner that gave your scalp a pleasant tingling sensation? The way to achieve this at home is to add a few drops of peppermint oil to your hair conditioner. Some say that the tingle effect acts as stimulating massage for growth although this is not proven scientifically. If you like the sensation there is no reason why you cannot pamper yourself at home.

Next Page

About The Natural Haven

Scientist on a hairy mission!

Natalie B

I am loving these hints and tips from The Natural Haven. I am a year into my transition and loving the journey back to the hair that God gave me. I have two young daughters and I am so happy that I have made this realisation, so I can encourage and teach them about the beauty of natural hair.

I will definitely be trying these suggestions.

Happy new year
Natalie

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Natalie B

Thanks Natalie, I appreciate the compliment 🙂

LillianMae

I am a self-proclaimed Kitchen Chemist! I love experimenting with raw ingredients to create the Salon experience, via chez moi!

My favorite tips from the Natural Haven are ones that I’ve utilized for the past year, once I found my hair grove.

-Pre-Pooing using Oil: I use Alma or Olive oils or a combination of both. Cover with a plastic cap, and let sit at the very least, 1 hour at the most over night.

-Mud Wash: GODSEND! Love this stuff. Aztec Indian Healing Clay. It’s an alternative to Shampoo. I use this once a month. Checkout my experience: http://www.lillian-mae.com/transitioning-guide/beauty-day-aztec-indian-healing-clay-wash/

merry
merry

i just used rhassoul clay as a clarifier/mask for my hair. i prefer it to a clarifying shampoo which is sometimes too harsh, drying.

i’ve used bentonite but i would only use it combined another less drying clay or ingredient. bentonite has strong pulling qualities.

sosoulful_0125
sosoulful_0125

I have not tried the mud wash sounds interesting, but I must say that oil rinsing makes my hair so much managable when I wash and detangle.

Meowmix
Meowmix

Great article. I just ordered some avocado and argan oil from Camden Grey. BTW, they say there is a shortage of jojoba oil. Anybody else heard about this?

Ashley
Ashley
Reply to  Meowmix

I haven’t heard anything about it, but I’ve had the hardest time trying to buy jojoba oil in large amounts (16 oz or more). I used to be able to get it on Amazon for like $20, but now I have to go to Trader Joe’s to get a 4 oz bottle for $9! (I’m a broke college student, so that’s pretty pricey for me lol)

CurlyInTheA

Interesting tips. I used to be a mixtress, but maybe it’s time to revisit. I have oils, etc., now I just need to start mixing! I also have some leftover rhassoul clay (I liked the results, not sure why I stopped using it?).

–http://www.Hairnista.blogspot.com

df
df

once again awesome article JC…i’ll try one of these when I have my next spa day…

lala
lala

What I love about making DIY hair products is that it is CHEAP and simple to make…choose your favorite oil(s) of choice and favorite essential oil(s) of choice and you basically have most of what your hair needs, best essential oils for hair are rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus, and tea tree, lavender adds that extra bit of oomph for a floral pretty scent :).

trackback

[…] Creating Salon Quality Hair Products at Home via Black Girl Long Hair […]

Es
Es

What is hygral fatigue (last paragraph)?

Elle
Elle
Reply to  Es

I just wondered the same thing. I looked up hygral, but it doesn’t seem to be a word. It must be a typo of some sort.

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  Es

…hygral fatigue which starts off when hair strands expand when wet and then contract when dry. Repeating this process several times can create damage to the hair cuticle first because it can be chipped off and then later damage to the main strand leading to split ends/breakage etc. It is not really about too much water but really just water, full stop.”

[ Source: http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-important-is-water.html ]

hyspin
hyspin

Actually want to try the clay cleanser/mud wash. I wanted to know anyone has made their own and with what because I could imagine clay with water could be drying. I hear to mix it with either, rosewater, aloe juice, coconut milk or something else.

Can any one tell me how they make their mud wash.

(I am going to be using bentonite clay)

Zyaran
Zyaran

I’ve tried the oil rinse once, and it was really nice for my hair. The essentials oils those are good as well, especially grapefruit oil that I like to use in my sheabutter mixes. You can also try African Pride No Breakage Strengthening Oils, which has so many of the wonderful oils in one bottle and smells delicious.
_______________________________________________
Also check out these little girls by “longhairdontcarellc” both are waist length.. so gorgeous.. Video Titled:My girls long flat ironed natural hair — air dry method! :: children’s hair care

Ada
Ada

I mud wash my hair once a week! I use a mix of bentonite clay, aloe vera juice, marshmellow root, honey, olive oil and lemon essential oil. I usually prepoo with diluted apple cider vinegar then follow up with the mudwash. It replaces my need for shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner! The weight of the mudwash stretches my coils and the ingredients provide slip which eases the detangling process. My hair has sheen, softness, flexibility and always feels moisturized now. I got the process from the way naptural85 on YouTube cleans her hair. The mudwash recipes I use are based… Read more »

Cheap Logo Design

I take pleasure in, result in I found just what I used to be looking for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

Davis Vermilya
Davis Vermilya

Essential oils are generally extracted by distillation. Steam distillation is often used. Other processes include expression or solvent extraction. They are used in perfumes, cosmetics, soaps and other products, for flavoring food and drink, and for adding scents to incense and household cleaning products..,

View the newest write-up at our personal homepage
<http://www.beautyfashiondigest.com