Alicia // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Jan 29, 2012

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
A:
My name is Alicia. I currently live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I’m a high school student currently in the 11th grade.

What is the natural hair scene like in Edmonton?
A:
I’m sure it’s different all over Canada, but here in Edmonton the natural hair community is insanely small. We have a very large Caribbean and African community, but the natural hair phenomenon has not caught on yet. Everywhere you turn you’ll either see a weave or a wig or a relaxer, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s just what I’ve noticed.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
A:
In junior high, I was bullied hardcore over my skin color and my hair texture. So to relieve some of the bullying I decided it was a good idea to get my hair relaxed. When got my first relaxer in the 7th grade I thought my hair was going to flow down my back and be just like all the other girls’ hair. But was I ever wrong. My hair ended up being dry, stiff and kept getting shorter and shorter due to breakage. Every morning after I did my hair, I looked down and the bathroom floor covered in broken off hair. So after 2 years of trying my hardest to make it work, I finally realized it was never going to. After much research and deliberation, I finally got my Mom to cut it all off in February 2010.

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
A:
I stopped with the creamy crack for about two months (during that time I was straightening my hair every morning) and then put in some box braids in December 2009. I kept those in for about two months. The day after taking them out I cut off all my relaxed ends and was officially natural!

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
A:
Natural hair tends to catch the eye of people who aren’t used to seeing it, so I get waaay more attention than I used to. I get asked about it all the time, which is nice. Also I feel like my natural hair compliments my personal style much more than straight hair would. Having natural hair has also pushed me to use more all-natural products for my hair and body.

How would you describe your hair?
A:
My hair is 4C in the crown area, 4B on the sides and in the front, and 4A in the back. I’m always doing braid outs because the texture differences make my hair look like it’s all different lengths. The strands themselves are very thin, making my hair breakage-prone.

What is your regimen?
A:
About once a week I’ll wash my hair with Tashodi Argan Shampoo and condition with Tashodi Creamy Argan Conditioner. I detangle once in the shower with my fingers and again when I get out with a paddle brush. I apply my shea butter and olive oil mix and braid it up! Every night I spritz and re-braid.

How do you retain length and moisture in your hair?
A:
For moisture I’ve tried many products, but shea butter always does the trick and lasts the longest. But for length, I don’t do anything specific.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
A:
This one time I tried trimming my own hair. I ended up taking off way too much (about two-three inches) and one side of my hair was noticeably longer than the other. And another time I tried straightening my hair. I used a lot of heat protectant, but I still got so many split ends.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
A:
Sometimes I like to go a week and a half or so doing nothing but updos, and that helps my ends recuperate.

Where do you buy your hair products?
A:
Things that will be washed out I buy at Wal-Mart (shampoos, conditioners) and things that will be left in I buy at the health food store. I try to support small businesses as much as possible, but sometimes the prices are way too up there.

What would you like to see in Edmonton in terms of hair care?
A:
I would love to see people of all colors and hair textures love the hair they were born with. It seems that people with straight hair want curly and vise versa. Because of this, we do so much unnecessary damage to our hair such as relaxers and perms. Also, it would be nice to see people move more towards natural hair care products such as olive oil and shea butter. It’s much better for the environment, our hair, and our wallets.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
A:
You can find me on nowyouknowalicia.tumblr.com

Anything else you want to add?
A:
Don’t let other people’s opinions dictate what you do.

About Meosha

Kenyan Gal
Kenyan Gal

Edmonton in the house!!!! :). You are my hair twin Alicia!!! Boy am I glad to see a fellow Edmontontian featured here! Its true that you don’t see as many naturals in E‑town, almost all my African friends are relaxed or wear weaves but I am glad that more n more are becoming open to the idea of rocking natural hair. Hopefully someday we’ll have lots of people and do an Edmonton Natural Hair Meet-up 🙂

Kenyan Gal
Kenyan Gal
Reply to  Kenyan Gal

*Edmontonian

Kenyan Gal
Kenyan Gal

I forgot to add.. Very lovely hair and beautiful gal!

Miss T
Miss T

Your beautiful! Your hair is beautiful! Do you have a youtube channel?

CuteKinks

Beautiful young lady.

LocLovely
LocLovely

Yep reppin Canada! The natural scene here in Ottawa is growing like crazy, but still there are tons of girls who are relaxed, weaved up.

Great post Alicia!

pingmonkey
pingmonkey
Reply to  LocLovely

Woot Woot My Canadians! I go to school in Ottawa and I think that due the extreme cold and the large African immigrant population, most ladies have their hair in braids in twists (in comparison to Toronto where nobody wears them). Alot of these ladies are too scared to deal with their hair or think their hair too “nappy” and unmanageable. People constantly compliment my natural hair and think it’s because of my hair texture (which is 4b!!) but I tell anybody who will listen that they can rock their own natural hair, it’s all about finding products and techniques… Read more »

Brittany
Brittany

Adorable!

Cia
Cia

Beautiful beautiful!! I love the thickness of your hair. Looks so soft and healthy!

b.
b.

Wonderful profile! Alicia, you look marvelous head to toe and you are right…your hair suits you well. You did what I wanted to do in high school — stop relaxing (I did it after leaving home to keep my mom happy). It’s great seeing a teen willing to be true to how you prefer to look in spite of what others are doing around them. I like your sense of style too. 😀 Best wishes to you!

Stayls

I am pleasantly impressed by your confidence and the acceptance of your true natural self. Keep it the great work. I will be watching.

Slimwavy

Gorgeous!!

Trini
Trini

What an inspirational young lady! I am noticing more students at my school opting to wear their hair in its natural state. Not one prone to envy, I often ask myself why didn’t I have to foresight to not jherri curl and later relax when I was in my late teens / twenties? Thank God I saw the light eventually.

Trini
Trini

oops…should be “the foresight”

irene

I must extend my Congratulations to you You Lady. I hope that this will be the “norm” all over. Right here i Toronto, Canada going Natural is not even a Trend anymore- it’s a Lifestyle. A Healthier Lifestyle. Sooo! Rock on Ladies. It’s a Beautiful Thing.

Jaye
Jaye

A beautiful young lady!! Awesome hair! I’ve worn my naturally hair off and on since I was a kid (I’m 40) This time it’s been 4 years and I’m thinking of cutting my hair. It’s shoulder length, colored and breaking. Seeing you and your hair has been inspiring.

Lela7
Lela7

I love your hair. It’s like me. It looks so thick and lushicous and soft! Can’t wait until mine grows back. Thanks for repping the 4b’s from one commonwealth citizen to another. (I’m in England).

nma
nma

My God u’re beautiful!! Your hair compliments ur beauty so much! Can’t stop staring lol.

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Gorgeous hair!

African Violet
African Violet

Lovely hair. Lovely, lovely hair!

Ms. MEK
Ms. MEK

Alicia, you are a Beautiful young lady with gorgeous thick hair!

Taheerah
Taheerah

Beautiful girl, beautiful hair!

Laurie
Laurie

From Canada too! Yay! You have beautiful hair, I love the thickness of it.

LBell
LBell

I’m always delighted when teenage girls go natural because junior high and high school is NO JOKE and I personally couldn’t have done it. 🙂 You look absolutely gorgeous!

www.mirandasinsidescoop.com

beautiful young lady! lovely hair too!

Selina
Selina

Hi Alicia, I am in Edmonton and I am doing a doc on natural hair in Canada. I would love to get in touch with you. Can you please contact me through this site? http://blackgirllonghairforum.com/profile/SelinaWilliams. I would love to talk to you re: your natural hair journey!!!!

Mason
Reply to  Selina

I can’t believe you waekld away! I would have made a major scene! For the money you spent you should have waekld away HAPPY, THRILLED, ECSTATIC!Don’t get me wrong, the story is hilarious. I just kept waiting for you to say…“And, then I made him color, cut, and style me again until they were able to get it RIGHT!”

Selina
Selina

Alicia
Alicia

Thanks for all the encouragement and love you guys! I truly appreciate it.

Alicia
Alicia
Reply to  Alicia

And if you’d like you can contact me at missmouse2005@hotmail.com

Vonne
Vonne

High school can be rough, well done to Alicia for having the self-confidence to be natural during a time when many of us crave into peer pressure. This was around the age I relaxed for the 1st time which I now regret.

Keep rocking that beautiful natural hair!

MommieDearest
MommieDearest

*sigh*

Bullying in any form is horrible. I hate that you had to go through that. Believe me, they were just JEALOUS. You are a beautiful young lady and your hair is gorgeous. I love the lushness of it. I’m glad you decided to ditch the chemicals and let your natural hair be great.

Lee
Lee

Ottawa up in this joint! lol You and your hair are beautiful and don’t let anyone make you feel otherwise!! Reading your post i was having flashbacks and hair twin telepathy hahaha. I’ve been natural for 2 years and I tend to wear my hair in braids/twists cause Ottawa is damn cold and I’m very active so I find it easier. However I would sport my fro here and there during the year. But 3 weeks ago I had the strongest urge to feel my hair. I was off for a few days and started taking out my twists and… Read more »

glorie
glorie

Good job putting Edmonton on the map.:)

Candis
Candis

very pretty!… nice interview

@spotlight921

devydev
devydev

Alicia, you’re gorgeous! That hair is thick and luscious. Makes me wish I took the plunge into natural hair when I was your age. High school is so full of people trying to fit in. Your hair says ‘Blend in fah what?’ Lol I love it!

Jacqueline
Jacqueline

Just saw this style icon for the first time. Nice to see a fellow Edmontonian doing her thing!

The Mane Captain

did you grow up in Edmonton and so other white kids made fun of your skin color and hair? Edmonton is becoming diverse now so I hope colored kids are still not being picked on. You have gorgeous hair, I hope you can share some healthy tips with us on my blog at themanecaptain.blogspot.ca. I will contact you through the email you left on here last year, I hope you’re still using it.
The Mane Captain
A Canadian Hair Blogger

Charm White
Charm White

She is such a cutie pie

omonaij

Alicia, you’re bold and I love it. High school isn’t easy, people can be cruel and will pick on you for anything: skin colour, hair, accents and the list goes on. Good for you for making a healthier decision for your hair and not joining the bandwagon–your hair is beautiful in all its kinky glory.

I live in Edmonton too and the city’s growing and becoming more diverse. The natural hair style is catching on here–though much slower than east coast. I blog about those happenings and you can check it out here http://omonaij.wordpress.com/