7 Surprising Uses for Baking Soda

Avatar • Jan 28, 2012

Via No More Dirty Looks

Let us be clear: Baking soda is not going to permanently cure your acne or turn back the cruel hand of time. But if you’re looking to detoxify your body and your household, this multitasking ingredient will make your life easier (and more beautiful) without denting your coffers. Mom may have taught you that baking soda will make your bread rise and your fridge smell better, but did you know of its many cosmetic applications?

Even the ancient Egyptians—and what beauty post would be complete without them?—used a compound similar to baking soda as soap. The stuff is antiseptic, antifungal, and lightly exfoliating. It will take the stains off your coffee mug and your not-so-pearly whites, and can be consumed internally to ease your tummy ache. And fridge odors aren’t the only smells it absorbs so don’t turn your nose up, and bring on the baking soda!

Brush Your Teeth With It

Most conventional toothpastes use sodium lauryl sulfate as their primary ingredient. You may remember this verboten surfactant from previous posts explaining its harsh effects and possible contamination with a carcinogen called 1,4‑dioxane. If you don’t want peroxide in your mouth, whitening strips are out too. Go natural instead with some bad-breath-killing-tooth-whitening baking soda on your brush (tastes like the ocean, salty but bearable), or add it to your SLS-free Tom’s for extra-whitening powers.

Wash Your Face With It

As a rule, we think that harsh scrubs and exfoliants do not belong on your face—not least of all because you need that top layer of skin to keep bad stuff out and moisture in. Most exfoliating scrubs also contain other sketchy ingredients—like plastic balls. If you’re hellbent on scrubbring, though, at least switch to baking soda. It works great on elbows and feet too, and combined with some raw honey, this DIY face wash is refreshing and soothing—and anti-acne, too.

Next Page
Wanett

Adding to some to warm water to relived heartburn saved my life while pregnant, and even beyond. I have brushed with it, also. Baking soda is a very useful household cleanser, too. Mixed with vinegar it can clean almost anything.

Thembi
Thembi

Pour an entire box of bs and entire bottle of hydrogen peroxide (into a warm bath, ) for a skin softening , muscle relaxing, internal cleansing experience

Thembi
Thembi
Reply to  Thembi

OMG It is so strange to see my name standing there even though I know i didnt write this… 😀 Hiiii Thembi!!

Rhonda
Rhonda

Do NOT…I repeat, do NOT use baking soda as a deodorant. It works very well to neutralize underarm odour (even w/o an essential oil added), and it’s a good anti-perspirant. Unfortunately, if you use it daily (because it is so darn effective!) over a long period of time, it will dry the skin under your arms, wherein the skin there will begin to peel (you’ll be able to pull it off like old wallpaper from a wall!), and by the time you’ve discovered the damage that it has done, you will need weeks and weeks of rubbing a moisturizer or… Read more »

bell
bell
Reply to  Rhonda

BS is too abrasive to use by alone .

Florida Steph
Florida Steph
Reply to  Rhonda

I agree. I made a homemade baking soda deodorant from an internet recipe. It worked great, except it turned my armpits black! It was a very embarrassing experience.

Asea
Asea
Reply to  Florida Steph

I was just going to post this!! It turned my under arms black as well! Thank goodness it peeled and went back to normal after applying natural oil daily.

Nandi
Nandi
Reply to  Asea

It’s important to NOT use baking soda as the only application to your skin. Even with an essential oil, it can be too strong and abrasive. It should be diluted with other ingredients such as butters and carrier oils. Keep in mind that most recipes circulating the Internet call for entirely too much baking soda. You don’t need that much for it to be effective. Used in the right proportions, it should not cause rash or burned armpits. I retail deodorants containing baking soda and have never had a customer complain of underarm burn. I, myself, have used my formula… Read more »

Pam
Pam
Reply to  Nandi

Nandi, what is your formula? Also does the place where you work sell online?

Nandi
Nandi
Reply to  Pam

I don’t want anyone to think I’m promoting my business here, but you can click on my name to go to my site. All products are handmade by me. BGLH, I owe you an ad if I’m breaking any rules. 😉

Pam
Pam
Reply to  Nandi

Alright I’ll check it out thanks!

charlotte
Reply to  Asea

It turns armpits black I believe because the skin dies (the epidermal/top layer) & so it looses its natural color/pigment since it is dead.…which of course why it sloughs off. But I still love it I’m going to follow Nandi’s advice.…cuz I can’t be walking around musty!! If I had to choose I’d take peeling armpits over musty!! LOL!!!

charlotte
Reply to  Rhonda

Rhonda, ME TOO!!! I now realize the stuff is too drying so I will mix it with something. I will not give up on it cuz after I turned 45 I started becoming musty quickly & it was embaraasing as heck. I am a very clean person so I felt very humiliated too. My husband was making fun of me calling me “miss musty”. I laughed but it did hurt a little even though I know his intent was not to hurt me. I switched deodorant 4 times thinking I was immune to them. Not a musty day since the… Read more »

sunshyne84
sunshyne84

I love it for cleaning my hair or sometimes brushing my teeth.

Shondra D.
Shondra D.

I add it to my shampoo when washing my hair (but not too much) and removes product

Sherine
Sherine

I never read it anywhere but I have been using Baking Soda as an exfoliant for close to 3 years now. I have acne but I have found that the usual store-bought exfoliants were much too harsh for my face. It just crossed my mind one day to pour some in a container and take to the bathroom to scrub my face and it worked wonders for me. The small particles give me just enough scrub without all that harshness. I keep a box of Arm & Hammer in my bathroom, just for cleansing my face.

aiych
aiych

I switched to using baking soda for my teeth permanently after a holistic doctor recommended it (he said toothpast is really not that good for your teeth, which surprised me).

My grandmother also used baking soda on her teeth while growing up. She is 83 and still has a full set of permanent teeth. Even now when I go to the dentist she will remark at how healthy my teeth are, I have yet to tell her that all I use is baking soda and occasional floss. Saves me money too.

Pam
Pam
Reply to  aiych

That’s great to hear! I’ve been thinking about switching to using natural toothpaste but I haven’t made the switch because I haven’t been able to find anything that I think cleans my mouth AND removes surface stains off my teeth effectively..I will definitely be trying this now

Eatmydessertfirst

I use it for deodorant and to clarify my hair. I recently told my children that my mother had us use it for brushing out teeth when I was a kid and they luv it.

MsXpat

This product really is versatile! On this week I read its also good for cleaning carpets and glassware.

Mane Man

You can also use baking soda + vinegar as a great, natural drano. Plug the drain, pour some baking soda directly into it, then some vinegar (I used ACV) and let it sit for 15 minutes. Caution, it will bubble a bit so don’t get too close. Then flush with super hot or boiling water. It has worked wonders for my tub AND its a lot cheaper than buying a name brand drain cleaner. You can search online for more specific measurements but overall it works great!

Pam
Pam
Reply to  Mane Man

Thanks for the tip mane man!

Mane Man
Reply to  Pam

No problem!

LainaLain

For a really good skin exfoliant, mix equal parts olive oil and baking soda and scrub your face with it. Rinse with warm water and then cold water to close pores. Your face will feel clean and soft afterwards.

Queen

I am avid user of baking soda to brush my teeth and I think that must be the reason I get asked how my teeth or so white.
Just sprinkle it over my toothbrush and *bling* white teeth lol or at least thats what I do 🙂

Also use a little baking powder to remove/scrub rust from your kitchen sink. Works like a charm.

Shannon LC Cate

I use baking soda for practically everything. I also brush my teeth with it (mixed with peroxide and peppermint oil), and use it once in a while to clarify my hair.
I use it to polish stainless steel, scrub pots with stuck-on food, deodorize my laundry, clean my bathtub and shower (mixed with vinegar, it makes natural “scrubbing bubbles), cut my dishwasher powder with it by half to make the store-bought stuff last longer, etc. etc., etc.

Keli
Keli

I’ve been using baking soda as an exfoliant (a very economically sound exfoliant) for about 2–3 years now, ever since I read about using it as such in Cosmo. 🙂 I love it. I’ve also used it to brush my teeth, regularly in my laundry, and several other things outside of my hobby — baking.

Giselle
Giselle

Hello. I just wanted to add that we should look for aluminum free baking soda. Arm & Hammer has aluminum.

Pam
Pam
Reply to  Giselle

Thanks for the tip Giselle, I didn’t even think to to investigate that. Now I definitely will before I start stocking up on baking soda 🙂

Jayar
Jayar
Reply to  Giselle

Arm & Hammer no longer has Aluminum, and hasn’t for many years. So the cheap stuff is just fine.

evden eve nakliyat ankara

Sorry for the huge review, but I’m really loving the new Zune, and hope this, as well as the excellent reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it’s the right choice for you.

fix you bad breath

Thanks for any other excellent post. The place else may just anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the look for such information.

bad breath fast solution

Good day very nice website!! Man .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also?I’m happy to search out a lot of useful info right here within the put up, we need develop more techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing.… . .

Ana
Ana

using it as an exfoliator made my skin almost pure white. i was already pale, and now i look like i’m dead!

Jana

Sounds good! Maybe I shall switch to this after I finish using my Curel!

Olga Radunz
Olga Radunz

Baking is a food cooking method using prolonged dry heat acting by convection, rather than by thermal radiation, normally in an oven, but also in hot ashes, or on hot stones.[1] The most common baked item is bread but many other types of foods are baked. Heat is gradually transferred “from the surface of cakes, cookies and breads to their centre. As heat travels through it transforms batters and doughs into baked goods with a firm dry crust and a softer centre”.;

Newest article on our personal internet site

I just could not leave your web site prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the usual info
an individual supply in your visitors? Is gonna be back often to check out new posts

Laci Lessner
Laci Lessner

The first evidence of baking occurred when humans took wild grass grains, soaked them in water, and mixed everything together, mashing it into a kind of broth-like paste.The paste was cooked by pouring it onto a flat, hot rock, resulting in a bread-like substance. Later, this paste was roasted on hot embers, which made bread-making easier, as it could now be made any time fire was created. The Ancient Egyptians baked bread using yeast, which they had previously been using to brew beer..‘,-

Brand new post on our own blog page
<http://picturesofherpes.co

Marcelo

I use it a couple times a month in the bath and it works wonders : ) Would definitely suggest it to anybody with even the slightest interest. It does not leave your skin with that film feeling that some soaps give and the best part about it, you can also use it to wash your hair while your in the bath as well!

media marketing

I invested, and lost countless dollars on my online advertising campaigns and poor designed websites.
Your newsletter can go out once a week and are able
to do this well, you need to either be extremely funny, exciting, controversial or educational.

Feel free to surf to my website media marketing

Pearl
Pearl

Well I started using baking soda on my face after I read a few articles and saw a few videos on you tube. In just a week all my very obvious pimples came out as normal rashes and after the second week my face looks lighter.just realized that my hands are lighter too from washing my face I guess. I don’t know if am bleaching or it’s cleaning my skin of dead cells. ..really wanna know..

dr.oz garcinia cambogia extract video

Likewise if you have heart problems or tummy issues this product could aggrevate
these conditions. This kind of pill helps in the weight reduction
process by increasing the user’s metabolic rate.

Theresa
Theresa
4 months ago

Hello want to learn more on baking soda