5 of the Most Underrated and Overlooked Natural Hair Practices

• Jan 21, 2012

Sealing Ends

Ends are the most fragile part of the hair — and the most critical for retaining length, but they often go overlooked. While applying product to your hair make sure you take an extra few seconds to seal your ends with a heavy oil or slightly acidic cuticle-closing product (like aloe vera gel). On most textures, sealed ends will clump together and curl. Check out our six steps to longer lasting sealed ends.

Trimming

Yes, yes, it’s true that a large percentage of the natural hair community is in pursuit of length… but trimming should be a part of that journey. Using a pair of sharp scissors to give your ends a clean cut is far better than letting ends snap off, leaving the cuticle uneven — a perfect breeding ground for split ends. The fact that many naturals no longer use chemicals or regular heat means that our ends are in better shape than the average woman and require less regular trimming. Still, if you spot split ends, thrashed ends or knotting, make a habit of busting out the scissors. How to know when you need a trim.

Using products that close the cuticle

Natural hair guru Kimmaytube explained it best — slightly acidic products smooth and close the cuticle, helping to retain moisture and making for smoother, softer strands.

Incorporate acidic ingredients like aloe vera and apple cider vinegar into your regimen — but be sure to dilute them so they don’t dry the hair out. 6 ways to use apple cider vinegar.

Ladies, which hair practices do you think are most underrated or overlooked?

Previous Page
SWEETLO

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/P1010073‑1.JPG[/img]

Tomeca Banks
Reply to  SWEETLO

Gurl your dreads are hot!!! Im loving them!

Cee
Cee
Reply to  SWEETLO

LOVE that skirt!

Angie
Angie
Reply to  Cee

Hey cuz!! Beautiful!

Shaun
Shaun
Reply to  SWEETLO

Hot oil treatments

MelodyBlu
MelodyBlu

I would LOVE to rock rotective styles more often but my scalp is so sensitive that I have flare up all the time. 🙁

Shirl
Shirl
Reply to  MelodyBlu

I thought it was just me. Certain protective styles (PS) that entails buns, hairs pins etc makes my scalp act up something awful after one day. My PS are mostly twists under wigs and the days I do styles with hair pins, buns, updos, ponytails I carry around a metal rattail comb to gently scratch my itchy scalp. Funny thing this is my first winter as a long term transition/natural and I’m doing a PS challenge till April. Aside for itchy scalp from buns, hair pins, side combs etc my hair tolerates evrything. I haven’t had not one product that… Read more »

Em.
Em.
Reply to  Shirl

I’d been having some issues with my scalp and would only wear protective styles no longer than a week. I realized one thing was that I was letting my hair air dry and it frankly takes two full days to dry on its own. That extra moist environment was making my scalp super itchy. I started treating my scalp with apple cider vinegar (ironically it does nothing for my hair) before washing and then using the blow dryer with the diffuser attachment to dry my scalp and roots. I’m now able to wear protective styles longer without wanting to rip… Read more »

madame
madame

nice article.…! but “pre-POOing” has an icky undertone to it 😉

smartieskirts
smartieskirts
Reply to  madame

yeah, idk about doing that step (prepoo)…umm, it’s like putting oil on top of the oil you already have on your dirty hair!!! PINEAPPLES (kevin hart voice), not doing it!

MissJoiful1
MissJoiful1

I HAVE to agree with the first point!!!! I have most certainly seen a difference in the health of my ends and noticed that I seem to retain more length with protective styling. I’m forced to wear my hair up most of the time because of the nature of my job, so cute twist updos and tucked under styles are a must for me! I’ve managed to grow my hair to BSL (with only 2 trims) in only two years! Pre-pooing (yes Madame, that does have an icky undertone.… Lol) has also worked wonders. My hair is softer and shinier… Read more »

nestazze
nestazze

Hi decided to follow u,bcs is I think is gonna be usefull to me.I am a local male hair stylist in africa,and I really need to grow and learn more.hop u ar the best to tell this ? Sure u gonna contribute,
xpect ur tweet or mail

Jade
Jade

Hey guys,
Can anyone tell me what the lady in the picture is rocking? Is it a braid out or a twist out ?!!!

THANKS

Cee
Cee
Reply to  Jade

I’m pretty sure she has dreads.

AH
AH
Reply to  Cee

I think she means the picture in the article.

Marsha
Marsha
Reply to  Jade

I think it’s a braid out.

Etty
Etty
Reply to  Marsha

Yea, I think it’s a braid-out too.

Jade
Jade
Reply to  Jade

Great thanks ladies!

Monique
Monique

I have natural hair and I have such a hard time dealing with it. It’s really long and super thick, so I usually end up straightening it about every 6 months. Although my hair is extremely healthy, I only get about two trina a year, I’m afraid the heat will damage my curl pattern so I need more “natural” hairstyles and ways to maintain them for girls with my type of hair because I have yet to find anyone. Can someone please help? I have uploaded a picture of my first twist out hairstyle. Anymore ideas?

Monique

Her hair is La Bomba

Doneak Williams
Doneak Williams

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DSC08795.JPG[/img]

Doneak Williams
Doneak Williams

I am so loving and appreciating this page

Lisa
Lisa

ACV is murder on my low porosity hair. No bueno.

Em.
Em.
Reply to  Lisa

Not murder for mine but it doesn’t do anything for a cuticle that is pretty much impenetrable!

Awakening April

I’ve been doing 4 our of 5 regimens listed here. The last one, I never heard of. Going to look into it. THAT might be the culprit as to why sometimes my hair is shorter/curlier and other times longer/wavier. Thanks BGLH!!! ?

mangomadness
mangomadness

I’m surprised that these haircare practices are “underrated and overlooked”. I protective style (buns &updos) alot, I always pre-poo (coconut oil, aloe vera gel/castor oil mix or conditioner), I seal my ends (w/ castor oil) on every wash day and I trim 1/4 inch from my ends every 3–4 months. Theses method work very well for my medium length afro textured hair.

hyspin
hyspin

I guess I agree with most except pre-poo. I had I find oil rinses more affective.

EG
EG
Reply to  hyspin

What is the diff?

hyspin
hyspin
Reply to  EG

pre-poo is something you do before you wash your hair so that the oil get absorbed into the shaft so that shampoo doesn’t strip away all oil from the hair. While Oil rinse follows after the conditioning to adding in oil in the hair that is lost from shampooing. It gets rinsed by warm water to get ride of excess oil. It is excellent at prevent single strand knots and make detangling process easier.

hyspin
hyspin
Reply to  hyspin

It provides the softness as well but I find that I don’t need to use lotion/leave-in conditioner afterward for detangling I just use water to keep the hair slip.

lillian mae

These are actually tips every transitioner or natural girl can use. I practice all but trimming

Elora

I think another overlooked natural hair practice is paying the most attention to ones OWN hair and knowing your textures limits and benefits.

Faizahjade

Having a professional examine your hair cause you can not see the full extent of your own head. Licensed cosmetologist knows best.

Styling natural hair for 7 yrs

hyspin
hyspin
Reply to  Faizahjade

Well wouldn’t say a cosmetologist knows best I would say Trichologists knows best. Cosmetologist is definitely helpful though assuming one find a cosmetologist that understands your health of hair versus just aesthetics.

🙂

CurlDiva

I liked the article it’s a great summary of the five techniques but I would like to see how advice for trimming since advice (VIA LINKS) are posted after the other techniques. Trimming curly hair is different from trimming relaxed hair. If you trim straight across versus at a slight angle it can affect protective styles such as two strand twists; which may began to unravel at the ends if you have a finer texture of hair. When I cut my end at a slight angle my ends are happier.

jas
jas

omg i want to UNDERSTAND the whole pH thig but everytime i read on it or watch a youtube video i feel like i’m back in class at my old high school. I just dont get it 🙁

Nejat Gasiem
Nejat Gasiem

I tried to grow my hair for long time,used alot of product nothing worked. I would like to buy same of the product you use.

Trinette
Trinette

Hi Ladies, Do yourself a favor and get some Sta Sof Fro comb out spray. It will condition, provide sustained moisturizing, add sheen and conditioning to natural hair. I’m from the “I’m Black and I’m Proud” Afro wearing ’70’s…and we were. We went natural as a Nation and the Afro crossed all economic groups and generations. Momma, Daddy, Children, Politicians, Celebrities, and the whino on the corner, all wore afros. Our hair was beautiful and healthy. We didn’t need polarizing “hair typing” to care for it. Anyone that has curly hair knows it’s dry and the curlier it is the… Read more »

Cynthia
Cynthia
Reply to  Trinette

NubianPrize
NubianPrize
Reply to  Trinette

I’m from that era,too & still use old school products like StaSoFro & S Curl along with the newer products like Qhemet, JBCO, KinkyCurly & SheaMoisture.

OfficiallyNatural
Reply to  Trinette

Agreed, I do not call my hair type 3 or 4. It is what it is afro hair texture. In the UK people have started using this numbering system, before the internet it was afro hair.

Sparkles
Sparkles

My fabulous shampoo and conditioner regimen.…Wet~N~Wavy shampoo and conditioner.… this is the BEST conditioner I have used to detangle by far… *licensed stylist*

Sibongile Amy
Sibongile Amy

I think the most overlooked aspects of my journey so far was 1st ACV then maybe the trimming. Im in my 11th month of transitioning so I have been doing lil chops as I go about every other month and my hair is doing fine. However, I had tried white vingar in my final rinse and previously soda to clarify but what a revelation the Apple Cider Vingar rinse has been!! My hair was sooo soft and actually felt moisturised. Im never going back! 🙂 I will need to remember to ‘dust’ my hair or do ‘search & destroys’ when I am… Read more »

trackback

[…] moisture is such a big deal when dealing with natural hair, a lot of naturals “pre-poo.” Black Girl Long Hair […]