Natural Hair Meetup in Lagos, Nigeria

Avatar • Dec 8, 2011

Bloggers Natural Nigerian, Screwy Haired Girl, NatMane and Sherese Ijewere put on this lovely natural hair meetup in Lagos Nigeria on November 19. Check out these gorgeous photos from LeaveintheKinks.com and NaturalNigerian.com.

MasukaM

Great! BGLH, thanks for this inspiration. First Nairobi, now Lagos. A natural hair meet-up in Lusaka is in the works of only we can get ourselves organised. So wonderful to see the natural hair movement growing all over the continent.

chiposmum
chiposmum
Reply to  MasukaM

Lets plan for a Lusaka meetup this would be great,embracing our natural hair

Nimi
Nimi

Job well done to those who organised it and attended. Looks like it was loads of fun…

Jade
Jade

This is really exciting. It feels like this is a “global” movement. Yay!

lulu
lulu

This really makes me happy. For a long time I have thought that a lot of women in NJA (my country) are brainwashed by the American definition of beauty. I happy see this.

Zenith
Zenith
Reply to  lulu

Europe and Africa (and their beauty standard) existed long before America was even thought about AND have influenced many things (good and bad) that we see today. So, i would suggest looking inward at your own culture before throwing shade abroad.

Access
Access
Reply to  Zenith

I’m pretty sure the person you replied to was simply referring to what we all know as the ‘Western’ standard of beauty which is still pretty eminent today and includes American standards. I would interpret her statement as either a metonymy or synecdochical. Either way, she has a point and it is a fact that a lot of Nigerians are influenced heavily by Western standards of beauty (and that includes American standards). Yes, things are changing in America and other parts of the Western world in that not every one sees straight hair as the definition of beauty, but there… Read more »

Anon.
Anon.
Reply to  Zenith

Thank you!

Likewaterforchocolat
Likewaterforchocolat
Reply to  lulu

I live in Atlanta, GA and have a lot of Nigerian and Ghanaian friends and none of them, not one of them are natural. All weaves and perms. I guess this can be perceived as the American standard of beauty as it is mostly the European(colonialized)idea of beauty that has pretty much touched every continent.

h
h
Reply to  lulu

my thoughts exactly glad to see people breaking free from that conditioned mentality

ttemfash
ttemfash

Oh my Gosh all those Ladies look Gorgeous, Go Naija Babes.

LBell
LBell

Two thumbs up! 😀

jojo
jojo

WOW. i’m loving this!

Afrinaturality
Afrinaturality

Seriously, this is what I like to see. Well done and come to Sierra Leone!

boho.barbie
boho.barbie

I love to see our beautiful sisters from all over the diaspora!

herlucidsKy

!Wow! This is such a wonderful thing to see..

kisha
kisha

i want my hair like the last pic!!! such beautiful natural hair women, luuuuuuvvvvv it!!!

Stace
Stace
Reply to  kisha

Yeah that is a hot style!!

kg.sunshine
kg.sunshine

This warmed my heart! So glad we are ALL embracing ourselves all around the world! #Love

Nia
Nia
Reply to  kg.sunshine

Ditto! Just beautiful.

very54
very54

Wow! As a Congolese woman I am proud to see my Nigerian sis repping naturals. The meeting looked great and all you ladies look beautiful!!! The natural movement is definitely on…

Viv
Viv

I’m about to cry, I am so happy to see my fellow Nigerian naturals looking absolutely GLORIOUS at that event. I will definitely go to one next time I’m back home.

Go Naija!!

naijagirl
naijagirl
Reply to  Viv

That’s how I feel, too, like I’m dang near ready to cry. It’s awesome to see this happening!

fufuandoreos

So refreshing to see heads of that full 9ja hair! Goodness. We definitely beat Beyonce in the amount of weaving we do, lol, but this meet-up is just NICE. Love being Nigerian!

Sieta Majok

It is so wonderful to see an event like that take place on the home continent!

Big up Africa! Hope to see many more soon.

Dani
Dani

Man, it’s really nice to see pics like this out of Africa.

Yaya
Yaya

I love this!! And if I was home, I would’ve attended in Lagos Silver Spring to be exact??

m.r.

I’d kill for those beautiful printed dresses the ladies had on in the 3rd photo. <3 I love these pictures ladies!!!

naijagirl
naijagirl

As a Nigerian-American woman, seeing these pictures did my heart good!

Ruth
Ruth

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! Everything about these photos bring a smile to my face!

Rachel
Rachel

These pictures made my heart warm! I’m so glad natural hair is a growing global movement as one of the posters said before. Yay!

layray
layray

amazing! makes me so proud to be a naija girl!

FaithPeach
FaithPeach

So inspiring, yay!!!

Dami

wow!!!! i saw the headline and I was like no way!!!!! someone made a comment abt the amt of weaves you see in Nigeria and we do own half of or more of all the hair made in Brazil,India, malaysia and the likes lol. Did not knw Nigeria had that many natural “peeps” Great turn out on event. I am sure it wasnt easy to organize hopefully I can visit one when next am in Lagos 🙂 My mom still gives me a side eye with my afro lol

Padma
Padma

FYI there will be another natural hair meet up in Lagos this weekend (December 18th) being organized by Nibi of The Kinky Apothecary (she was featured on BGLH a while ago) and the ladies of Leave in the Kinks! I’m planning to be there :). Details can be found at http://thekinkyapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/11/champagne-cupcakes-curltalkthe-birthday.html

Gam
Gam

Really glad to see this, it kind of saddens me that all this started popping up after leaving Nigeria. Hope to be back soon.

Ayodele

Awww, wish I could have been there! Anyone know if there’s going to one in December/January?

Chika

I am sooooo pissed I missed this! I wear my natural hair, moved back home a few months ago and EVERY darn time I step into a salon, people give me this look and go “are you sure you don’t want to relax your hair.” It is so frustrating. I want to be able to take care of my natural hair and since I am no longer living in NY, I don’t have access to my usual stuff! So help me out BGLH! Tell me where I can get access to these products in Lagos… or when the next meet up… Read more »

Lisa
Lisa
Reply to  Chika

Google the Kinky Apothecary. They sell products in Lagos, and they are also having a meet-up this month!

La Reine

Oooh, this is awesome. Would have loved to be there.
I wonder if there was one last year…?

Omodudu Onidada Osun

Hi, I wonder if you have the contact for this group or to get more information about this event. If you do, please share. Email is OmoduduosunAThotmailDOTcom

Thank you!