Natural and Commercial Hair Coloring Options

Avatar • Dec 4, 2011

By Jenteel of Conscious Heart and Mind

Color is fun, fun, fun! But you must be cautious!

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER BEFORE COLORING

1) Why do you want to color your hair?
a) Is it worth any potential risk? Not just potential tress damage, could it damage your “look”?
i) Is it just a passing fancy? Do you really want it or are you envious of your fave star’s new look?
ii) A necessity? “I’m bored Jenteel! Put it on me!/I’m not ready to embrace my gray!” move on to next question!

2) Assess the condition of your hair
a) Is it damaged?
i) Yes?: Then work on rebuilding it 1st through protein & deep conditioning treatments
ii) No! “My hair is healthy and strong!” Great! Move on to next question!

3) Do you want a temporary or permanent look?
a) Consider maintenance and upkeep

4) What color do you want?
a) Look for hints in your skin color, undertones and eye color
b) Try on different colored wigs

5) Are you going to do it at home or a professional?
a) Professional: You are more likely to get better results
i) Know what you want; Don’t be bullied into doing something you don’t want!
b) At home: Work quickly and be patient! Do a test run: Patch test anyone?!

The following information is beneficial for those who want to experiment with color for girls with a little lovely gray or for “girls who just wanna have fun”! 🙂 I will start with the most “risky” then move down to the natural options

Let’s go!

Next Page
BigSyd
BigSyd

I envy naturals who can dye their hair. I’ve tried everything things and either the color doesn’t take, or it’s so strong that my hair breaks off. My hair is verrrrrry veeeeeeery fine, so color is a no-no for me 🙁 But maybe if I find a convincing wig I could live out my colorful dreams!!!

cassieo
cassieo

I’ve only colored my hair twice in my life. Once with some permanent color at a natural hair salon (my hair was fine), and the other time at an aveda salon! My hair now has breakage. Be ware of Aveda hair color. Be sure people don’t overprocess your hair. People tend to view natural hair as coarse! Yet our hair tends to be very porous and very willing to take color easily. So be sure someone is classifying your hair correctly before they put color in it. That is all!

cassieo
cassieo
Reply to  cassieo

I should also note that a deep condition every week and a do protein treatments every 6 weeks. So I take pretty good care of my hair. I currently trying to be really gentle with my hair and do finger detangling weekly and a tool detangling monthly/biweekly.

Cecille
Cecille

Very timely article…much appreciated…as only yesterday I went shopping around for a semi-permanent colour (something that will not damage my hair).

Punkgnome
Punkgnome

Make this post the day AFTER I dye my hair huh?
Lol. Welp, too late now. But its cute, and it didn’t do too much damage really.

Tmi4me72
Tmi4me72

Research, research was so important to me when I dyed my hair. I wanted something without ammonia in it and for black women. I choose Clairol texture and tones (cherry wood) and the results beautiful. The main thing for me was keeping my hair condition and making sure I perform a deep condition at least twice a month, so far I’m good and I have fine hair.

Dasia

This helped me a lot. I colored my hair before when I was natural and didn’t have any problems. I guess it all depends on your hair and how you care for it.

Mona
Mona

Thanks for this post!! I’m finally ready now that I have a successful natural hair regimen. When I was “relaxed”, I had my hair dyed, which required lightening, and had no breakage/damage, so I know my hair can handle it.

J, how did you decide on which Aveda salon for your color? I’m pretty much set on which color I’d like and went to their site for salons, but I’m reluctant since their client base seems to be everything BUT african-american naturals. Thanks!!

dani

This is so helpful. I am “FO SHO” coloring my hair. I’ve been wanting to do it for months now, and I know the color range I’m looking for. I’m going to wait until the summer (winter is so blah.. lol. not the right time for coloring fun). I’m going to let a professional do it though. I’m doing it for fun. If my hair falls out.. it just will. It’s just hair, yah know?

SiCe
SiCe

I LOVE HENNA…covers my gray hairs really well. I mix my henna with alma powder after colour release I will then add honey. After rinsing out the henna I then apply condition+EVOO. When I’m all done my hair is really soft and not dry from the henna.

Scottie
Scottie

Henna dried my hair out something terrible! I’m going to Try Clairol’s textures n Tones in Dark Brown. I just need something to cover up these greys.

jenteel

@ Mona, don’t let that deter you! I’ve actually had better hair experiences at non-black hair salons. (Sorry to say it.) After going to the Aveda Institute a few times in Manhattan, I decided to upgrade to an actual salon. I just did a search in my area. I started going to one in Queens NY then switched over to one in Long Island, NY. I just took a chance. At the first salon, a middle aged caucasian woman did my hair a few times and at the second, an older white male did my color there for about 2… Read more »

Wendy
Wendy

Has anyone applied hair color after hair has been henna’d? I had a hairstylist tell me because I used henna on my hair that she cannot color it because henna is a metallic and the hair color would have an interaction and turn my hair into to mush.

Gabriel
Gabriel

HENNA is horrible for your hair im currently going to school to be a cosmetologist and we just got through studying hair coloring henna is the worst because it sits on your hair henna is like a brick wall on you hair it might make it look and even feel good but nothing can penetrate your hair it just will sit on your hair thats why some stylist are suppose to ask if you have henna and is so we are not suppose to color your hair at all because we dont know what the reaction of henna and color… Read more »

p
p

All the articles on this site (and every other natural hair site) about hair dye are always about lightening the hair…and lifting colour…I’m trying to dye my hair black (it’s naturally dark brown) but I can’t find information on safest dyes or if it even really matters since I’m not bleaching. I have 4a/b hair, normal to high porosity, fine strands, thick density, medium length..Help? (I don’t want to use indigo powder because it’s messy and hard to wash out.)

Bre
Bre

Hey everyone. I need help!! I have a rinse (Adore: Crimson) over top of bleached highlights and I LOVE the color. I recieve so many compliments and just love how it goes so well with my skin tone. The only problem is that it is SUCH a hassle and messy to continuously put the color back on when it fades out. Is it at all possible to get the same effect of the highlights and rinse with a permanete color? If so, any suggestions on where ? I want it done professionally. I would love to not see red streaming… Read more »

Di moda Salons

This in itself will cause problems such as loss
of hair and skin and will make the bite area
a lot worse. A thorough medical study was made that
showed of certain ingredients in bathing essentials that
are considered harmful to the body. One of the reasons this shampoo has surpassed all others is that its minoxidil is
approved by the Food and Drug Administration. Organic shampoo for dry,
itchy or flaky scalp: Organic shampoos formulated for dry and itchy
scalp contains rosemary, cypress, pineapple and tea tree.

seo johnny

This shows that your website is search engine friendly.

It’s just a matter of you finding the plug-ins you need for the
browser you use. In the event you don’t do this you will have absolutely no way of being
aware of which Search engine optimization techniques are operating.
The URLs of a website are interrelated so that it is also important
to monitor the binding between these URLs.