Ima // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Dec 13, 2011

Where are you from?
I:
I live in California. Originally from Brooklyn, NY.

Why did you go natural?
I:
I actually grew up natural, give thanks! I only had relaxer for 8 months of my life and I can recall hating that hair experience and that period of time. It was somehow hard for me to relax with a relaxer, funny thing it didn’t live up to its name. All I knew is that I couldn’t wait for my new growth to grow in so I could cut it all off cause babyyyyyyy when it did I chopped that sucker off so quick and went right back to my natural state.

I transitioned back in ‘2006, after letting my new growth come in and then cutting off all the relax/dead hair, I rock a small fro or twa and it felt really really good.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
I:
It definitely increased a great sense of pride, completeness, comfort, joy, inner peace and a higher sense of appreciation for my Crown. It felt as thou I rediscover myself, sorta like a self reunion and I’m forever grateful to have obtained such feeling!

How would you describe your hair?
I:
My hair is very coarse, don’t let the pretty styles fool ya…haha I got some thickums, the kind that breaks combs lol’ but I do love that about it, I really admire its strength & resilience. While working with my Crown it definitely taught me how to be more patient and give it its deserved Queen treatment. My hair has a mind of its own, it does its own thing, whatever it wants to do lol’ I sometimes feel like I’m following its command!

What’s your regimen?
I:
I concoct my own natural essential & base oils that I massage into my scalp at least twice a month, I’m not really a product junky, I find the less I use the better for me. My hair seems to love the love I give it.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
I:
Putting harmful relaxer/chemical on my crown was a of course huge mistake and a great lesson learned for me

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
I:

DOMiiNiiQUE
DOMiiNiiQUE

Reply to  DOMiiNiiQUE

Thanks DoMiiNiiQue 🙂

Eboni
Eboni

I first saw this beautiful woman on Tumblr! ahh! so cool that she’s a style icon on here!

It was somehow hard for me to relax with a relaxer, funny thing it didn’t live up to its name.” funny and true 😛

she’s my new loc inspiration

Reply to  Eboni

Thank you Eboni, that was really sweet of you & I’m glad you found my quote humerous!

Ebbie
Ebbie

that hair is all!!!

Reply to  Ebbie

Thanx Ebbie, I’m happy you feeling my hair on that level:)

Evie
Evie

I love that BGLH features both loose hair and loc ladies as style icons. I am still new in my loc journey and can get tips and inspiration from this site. Her locs are absolutely beautiful, I love the curls!

Reply to  Evie

Thanks Evie, I appreciated your wonderful words:)

Beauty Is Diverse

Love her hair styles.

Ima

Thank you Beauty is diverse for the love you see in my hair:)

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Gorgeous!

Ima

I’m happy that you find my hair gorgeous Patricia…thank you:)

Lee
Lee

I love her thick locks!

Reply to  Lee

Thank you Lee for the love you have for my thick locs:)

madame debdowner
madame debdowner

she’s #1 of my loc envy list.

Ima

lol’ Madame thanks for feeling as thou my loc’s is envy worth in a good way I’m sure:)

Cee
Cee

ok. are those dreads?

Reply to  Cee

Cee these are Loc’s

Tamara
Tamara

Her locks are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lovely! *swoon*

Reply to  Tamara

Tamara thank you for your sweet & kind words, I’m glad you like my loc’s:)

christy hyman
christy hyman

What a beautiful sista with such healthy looking locs. I especially lover her quote, “Getting it back to its natural state, just having it healthy, thick & strong as well as respecting & honoring my roots more appropriately, patiently and continuously.” RESPECT

Reply to  christy hyman

Christy thank you for your lovely words & I’m glad to know you are really feeling my quote. The respect given is well received:)

kg.sunshine
kg.sunshine

Beautiful lady with beautiful hair! But I’m confused. Her hair is so thick and unique. Are those dreads? B/c it looks like she could unravel them at any time…

Reply to  kg.sunshine

Hi Kg.sunshine
Thank you for your kind words & yes my loc’s are quite thick. To answer your question? Yes these are loc’s & are unable to unravel at anytime…lol’ its more than very secure, thrust me on that!:)

Harmony

Much love to my Loc Sis, Icon, Natural Beauty Babe:) Continue to inspire and show the world how Bangin’ us locked ladies are~

*** and yes those are locks that she is rocking, they are super thick and jet black, so it almost looks like baby dolls hair, love it)

Peace and Love ~ Harmony

Reply to  Harmony

Wow’ thanks so much for that Harmony & yes our Locs collectively are bangin’ I appreciate your warm kind words as well:)

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

GORGEOUS!

Reply to  Amma Mama

Thank you Amma Mama for your sweet & kind words:)

Ima

Thanks everyone for all the lovely & wonderful commentss. I also want to give a special thanks to BGLH for allowing me to share my story with its natural & transitional viewers…

Abby
Abby
Reply to  Ima

Hi Ima i’m a college student and i will like to know what are your oil concoctions, because I’ve been trying fill in my bald spots from braid damage. Thank You in advance.

Likewaterforchocolat
Likewaterforchocolat
Reply to  Abby

I know this question isn’t for me, but any stimulating essential oil blended with a carrier oil is fine for scalp massges that will help regrow your hair. I use a mix of castor, sesame, olive with lavender essential oil (peppermint works great also).

I also suggest that you give the cayenne pepper treaments a try as well. I use warm olive oil with cayenne pepper on my head like a hot oil treatment for about 45 min, then shampoo.Try this weekly. It works wonders.

Abby
Abby

@ Likewaterforchocolat Thank you so much for the info and i will defiantly give the cayenne pepper a try.

Reply to  Abby

Hi Abby

I do know of an old fashion method to help thicken & hair growth using seasoning powder sage, your hair also needs to be expose so that your scalp can breath, covering your hair only prolong the growth process. You can pour some of the powder sage in all your product that you use like shampoo, conditioner, oil, hair grease etc. Its really does work wonder and yes I am referring to the cooking seasoning powder sage. Best of luck!

Abby
Abby
Reply to  Ima

@ Ima thank you for the hair tips and i appreciate you writing me back.

Reply to  Abby

You welcome Abby, it was my pleasure!

Veronique
Reply to  Abby

Ralph Angel just translated Poem of the Deep Song, the first book puehsilbd by Federico Garcia Lorca and having just finished it, I would recommend it. Angel has a true grasp of the Lorca’s intention and language and rhythm. The book itself is Garcia Lorca’s homage to the traditional and folk music the region. The book is a bilingual opposite facing translation. So it’s a real joy to read both in spanish and english. Here’s a poem from the collection:The GuitarThe cry of the guitarbegins.The wineglasses of dawnare broken.The cry of the guitarbegins.It’s uselessto quiet it.Impossibleto quiet it.It cries on… Read more »

Tee
Tee

Beautiful, luscious locs! My new hair inspiration.

Reply to  Tee

Thank you Tee, that was really sweet of you!

Jen
Jen

How did she get her locs so thick. THis is how I want mine when I finally lock them

Reply to  Jen

Thank you Jen & to answer your question, I made my loc’s thick by making bigger parts, and not over-twisting them to much. Hope this helps!

Carol @ bigshowercap.com

Hello! your hair is so beautiful. I would like to forward you one of my BigShowerCap.com Please forward a mailing address to me and bigshowercap@nc.rr.com Carol

Ima

Thank you Carol for your lovely compliment & I’ll email you regarding the shower cap!

Cami
Cami

Yeah how are her locs sooo thick?!!! I love them!

Reply to  Cami

Hi Cami,
Thank you for your lovely compliment & to answer your question I acquired thick loc’s by making my parts bigger & not over-twisting my locs…hopes this helps:)

zama
zama

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/zamohfacebook‑1.JPG[/img]

zama
zama

natural hair for me is beautiful although i started this journey just last year and believe me i still have a lot to learn in regards of mantainance but i’ve found that is you give your hair time its very managable but if u do a rush job trust me you get fustrated to the point that you start questioning if u’ve made a good choice in going natural? but thats to this website black gal with long hair everyday i learn to ambrace my hair.

Charlita
Charlita

I wish there where some questions that specifically pertained to her locs.

Reply to  Charlita

Hey there Charlita, this is Ima, sorry for the late response but if you’re interested in asking specific question pertaining to my locs I just started a new Instagram page yesterday you can feel free to message me there and I can answer your questions further.(queenimalocs)

Dri
Dri

I know this is a old post but does anyone know if Ima has a facebook or instagram? Would love to see her progess now!

Reply to  Dri

Hey there Dri, this is Ima, sorry for the late reply & thank you for your interest. I do have an Instagram page I just opened yesterday (queenimalocs) feel free check me out

Crystalsinthesun
Crystalsinthesun

Does anyone know how she started her locs and how she maintains them, they are some of the most beautiful set that I have seen, I want mines exactly like those. I wonder with my 3c/4a texture .

Ima

Hey there Crystalsinthesun this is Ima funny I haven’t been on here in a minute b/c I’ve been busy with running my business & all. I’d be happy to tell you how I started my locs. I used the 2‑strand twist method. The key to thick locs is to make your initial parts bigger also when retouching once a month not over- twisting them. Base or carrier oil mixed with essential oil is what I always use & I never have to worry about build up like cream or solid product tend to do. I hope this help. If you… Read more »

Jade Wheaton
Jade Wheaton

This is an extremely old post but I believe I exchanged information with Ima recently and didn’t realize I didn’t properly save her info! I am still very interested in her services if she catches wind of this somehow lol