Eco Styler Gel vs Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue

Avatar • Dec 3, 2011

VS

Sunshine Abuwi of Natural Sunshine writes:

I have been hearing a lot about Eco Styler Gel and wanted to know if it’s a natural hair friend or enemy.

Based on reviews left for the product on Sally.com Eco Styler Gel has some loyal users as well as those who find the product to be a “hot mess”. I even read a comment which said, Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel worked “just as well as the Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue or Curly Pudding that is $38 for 16oz.”

The Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel is marketed as,
No flaking, no tack and anti-itch
Contains 100% pure olive oil
Safe for all hair types
Alcohol-free

Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel contains 100% Pure Olive Oil for deep down conditioning while maintaining maximum hold. Contains UV Protection and helps your scalp regulate its natural moisture system. For all hair types. Used by professionals.

The ingredients list inclides:
Water , Carbomer , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , PVP , Glycerin , Triethanolamine , Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate , Polysorbate 20 , Tetrasodium EDTA , Olive Oil , Fragrance , Blue #1 , Yellow #11

The Price:
$3-$6 depending on where you purchase and what size.

What people are saying about it:

Great for those who are natural and ware Wash-N-Go styles!
This gel works well on wet hair to define my curls, dries to a firm, but soft hold, and works just as well as the Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue or Curly Pudding that is $38 for 16oz.”

Read the rest at NaturalSunshine.com

Ladies, have you tried these products? Which works better for curl definition and wash and go’s?

Sassncurlz

I love Eco-Styler Olive Oil Gel! It is great for smoothing my edges and perfect for WNGs. It doesn’t flake, not hard and leaves my hair with a great shine/soft hold. This gel is one of my staple products. I haven’t tried Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue but have tried the Pudding and I find that EOOG worked much better for me. Miss Jessies’s tends to leave a little film and makes my hair dull looking after it dries.

Biola
Biola

I love eco styler olive oil gel. I’ve been using it since I first bc’d. It’s affordable and doesn’t flake. I’ve never bothered to try any of the miss jessie’s products mainly because of the prices.

LaLa
LaLa

I haven’t used Miss Jessie’s curly meringue but for me the price would be steep because I am a natural on a budget as well as maintaining my 2 daughters’ hair. I do use the olive oil Eco styler gel and I love love love it. It leaves a shine with beautiful results. I always get compliments from people that are natural and not natural. It has been one if the key components in our hair care regime.

Isabelle
Isabelle

I agree, eco styler gel worked just as well as Miss Jessie’s Curly meringue for me. When I did wash n gos with both, I couldn’t tell the difference between the two.
Eco styler is also awesome at slicking down my hair for a bun, puff or any type of pulled back style. I always have a huge jar of this in my stash.
Now whether the clear, olive or argan oil works better remains to be determined. I use the olive oil one and have been meaning to try the argan one.

MommieDearest
MommieDearest
Reply to  Isabelle

I am a loyal user of the Eco Styler Olive Oil gel. I saw the argon oil gel at Sally’s and decided to try it because I’ve heard all these wonderful things about Argon oil. That stuff did NOTHING for my hair. My hair did not feel or respond the same. I think my hair may have gotten pissed off at me and would have cursed me out if it could. I returned the argon oil gel (gotta love Sally’s with the great no-hassle return policy!) and got some olive oil gel. My hair breathed a sigh of relief and… Read more »

Gigi
Gigi
Reply to  MommieDearest

That’s funny, because my hair loves the argon oil, but hates the olive oil. My curls definitely popped more and had more of a shine as well… 🙂

Cassie
Cassie
Reply to  Isabelle

the argan oil eco styler gel is the same as the olive oil one (i’ve used both but stick to argan oil) one just smell better than the other thats all

K.
K.

I have not tried W‑n-G on my natural hair but I certainly would never purchase any hair product that costs $38 or of $28. I don’t give a damn what it does! I use Eco to smooth my edges though.

Jasmine
Jasmine

Test

Rochelle Settle
Rochelle Settle

I LOVE the Eco-Styler Gel! I tried only a sample of the curly meringue (mailed out to me, thanks!) and it was good, for the little that I got to try. I just can’t move myself to spend $38 on 16 oz of product that will only last a couple of weeks on my long, thick hair. I did buy the Curly Pudding and the Stretch Silkener because of their BOGO free promo at Target, and I don’t like the Pudding at all :o(. It leaves my hair dry and doesn’t control the frizz. I’m still not clear what the… Read more »

Shelli

I used the Curly Meringue for a few months a few years back and it made the health of my hair deteriorate. It became dry and brittle and only felt and looked good immediately after applying the product (it does smell delicious though). I used it for WnGs. I love Eco, but use it for smoothing my edges by mixing equal parts with shea butter. It doesn’t flake, doesn’t make my hair hard and doesn’t dry my hair. So, though I use it differently than the Curly Meringue, Eco Olive Oil wins hands down for me, especially considering the price… Read more »

Michelle
Michelle

Eco styler works great. If you have very dry hair or color-treated hair, I would use a leave in condish first.

cassieo
cassieo

I have kinkier hair like 4a/b. Miss Jessie’s does absolutely nothing to define my curls. However, that ecostyler right durrr…that gel right durrr… it really works on defining my curls. I just use some castor oil/Giovanni’s direct leave-in underneath the gel, and it leaves it very soft. Doesn’t even feel like I have gel in. Plus it feels very moisturized. I use the clear ecostyler gel. I find that it gives me more hold for some reason.

Eve
Eve
Reply to  cassieo

Thanks for the info, I just bought EcoStyler for the first time and I was wondering if it mixed well with the Giovanni leave in…can’t wait to try

Cassieo
Cassieo
Reply to  cassieo

I should clarify that I do use Miss Jessie’s Deep Conditioners. They are worth the price especially during this time of the year (BOGO). It lasted me like 9–10 months, and I used it atleast every 2 weeks

Keneesha

I would be one of the people who is not an advocate fro Eco Style. I bought the big jar and yes it is inexpensive, but it doesn’t work well with my hair. The best product I’ve tried so far is the Kinky Curly Custard, but before I become a loyal customer, I will see what else is out there that’ll work for me. Now as far as Miss Jessie, I believe in paying for quality, but not for some tiny jar of something I have to find out the hard way may not work for me. So I have no… Read more »

April
April
Reply to  Keneesha

I can agree on the Eco. I used it and the gel left my hair dull. No shine, I do like Ms. J’s products except the Curly Pudding. It flaked like I had the worse dandruff on earth. The meringue worked wonders! I absolutely love the baby butter cream. Has a little peppermint to open up the scalp.

It is a bit pricey, but sometime a girl has to pamper herself!

Nikki
Nikki

Eco styler Olive oil gel was just ok, but then again we all have different hair textures/curl patterns and etc! Eco Styler gel doesn’t give my hair a firm enough hold. I bought Miss Jessie’s Stretch Silkening cream from Target for $22 and I absolutely LOVE it! It makes my twist outs look more defined and I love the scent. I even receive compliments about how my hair looks and smells! My natural hair texture is course and wavy, I use and lot of products such as emu oil, coconut oil, and jojoba oil to manipulate it. I love being… Read more »

sasha
sasha

Meringue is the best styling product from the miss jessie’s line for my hair. A co-worker gave me her meringue. It works well as a wash and go for me-but I dont do a lot of wash and go styles. So I have about 3 jars of the stuff. Curl or coil formation / clumping is not the objective I am seeking when I style my hair- hold and some frizz control are my issues. I wouldn’t purchase the product. I would not spend that much money on a product that works for me as a wash and go. I… Read more »

CocoaPuff Chanel
CocoaPuff Chanel

I haven’t tried the Curly Meringue, but I do use Eco Styler Gel (Krystal, Firm Hold, and Moroccan Argan). I shingle the gel on dry hair the day after a wash n go or on an old twist out. I tried to shingle with gel on wet hair and it takes too long to dry.

TGL
TGL

I will never ever buy Miss Jessie’s because EcoStyler has everything that I want for a fraction of the price.

Tiffany B.
Tiffany B.

Eco Styler Gel is a staple for me. It does not flake, however I have seen some “self-inflicted” flaking meaning that my misuse caused it. When I do my curlformers I usually use the Ecostyler gel and after it dries I see white residue. However once I begin to take the curl aloose and apply my pomade or moisturizer it disappears. I believe I use too much on my curl formers or I just don’t need to use them with the curlformers, but I definitely think ecostyler is a must have. Now I have microtwist extensions and I use ecostyler… Read more »

Jordan
Jordan

I’ve never tried the Curly Meringue but I do use the Quick Curls for my WnG. I tried to use eco styler for a WnG but I didn’t like my results and how long it took me to get it just right. With the quick curls I can use larger sections (4) and get better results. It’s probably the only non-homemade product that works with my hair.

Regina

I’ve tried MJ products and hated all but 2. The meringue was OK but the baby butter creme was A LOT better, however NEITHER is worth the money that MJ charges! I think MJ products are very over priced and over hyped, but hey that’s just me! I use the Eco gel a lot. It gives great definition on my twistout and nice shine. It works best on a wash and go for my hair. I have never tried an oil under it, I may give that a go.

JP23
JP23

My hair LOVES that gel. When I first went natural, I tried Miss Jessie’s curly pudding.…I cried. I tried to use it 3 times and it never worked for me (that damn film). I think the best things I can say are: dont start out with Miss Jessies if you are a new natural with several types of hair and /or very short hair. Like some of my hair coils, some of it is almost straight (etc), so it didnt do what i saw on the videos (perhaps that was just my problem, LOL). It works well for my bff… Read more »

RasheedaNatural-stylist Bibbs
RasheedaNatural-stylist Bibbs

I’m a Natural stylist & I must say, I love Eco gel. I have used it for the past 5 years & it works well for most of the styles I do, such as rods, strawsets, 2 strand twists, coils, & lock maintenance. My signature style is the flex rods & this is definitely my go to product. I use maybe 2 large tubs a month & have tried the different formulas. I would say the only difference is the scent, but they all do the same thing. I prefer the Olive Oil, but I also whip Pure Virgin Olive… Read more »

Shelli

Love your curls!! Beautiful color and coils!!

RasheedaNatural-stylist Bibbs
RasheedaNatural-stylist Bibbs
Reply to  Shelli

Thanks Sheli. This is a pic of one of my clients. This is a straw set on color treated natural hair w/eco styler gel.

Monisola

I hear that Eco styling Gel might work well in terms of giving us the look we want, but is it healthy for the hair? Does the protein in it give anyone any troubles? Any of the ingredients drying or cause breakage/excess buildup?

I am really considering using it on my flat twist-outs and braid outs, but i just want to be sure I am not harming the health of my hair.

thanks ladiez 🙂 !!

sunshyne84
sunshyne84

Eco Styler sucked on my hair. I had so much residue. Idk if it didn’t mix well with the oil in my hair or there was too much or what. I gave it away. I never used Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue. I do like the kinky curly curling custard though especially the smell. But for wash n gos I just like to use the garnier fructis leave in conditioner and a denman.

Marla
Marla

I LOOOOVE ECO Styler Gel!!!!! I mean I loooove it, I recommend it for anyone with 4a,b or c hair.I use it with a leave conditioner and castor oil, and sometimes I just use it by itself.….…let me tell you something.… it HAS NEVER FAILED ME!!!! NEVER. MJ has, many times, I’ve tried different MJ products and it’s not worth the$38.00 for a small jar. ECO STYLER GEL ALL DAY!!!!!! Hell, all year for $4–6 bucks!! 😉

RasheedaNatural-stylist Bibbs
RasheedaNatural-stylist Bibbs
Reply to  Marla

Marla, I feel the same way! Has never failed me!

rw
rw

both have left buildup in my hair, i suggest buying travel size of both before the investment, and when ur done, fall in love with Jane Carter Curl Definer

hehe
hehe

I’m not a fan of either. Eco styler weights my hair down too much and causes build-up. I try using it to slick down my edges for bun and puffs but it leaves so much residues and doesn’t do a good job with hold. Lastly I’m not a fan of the consistency. Curly Meringue makes my hair soooo hard, dusty and dry even with my most moisturizing leave-in. I just can’t understand the Curly Meringue is not the maximum hold out of the whole Miss Jessie’s line. KCCC is better than both. It defines without making my hair hard and… Read more »

Roxy
Roxy
Reply to  hehe

I have the same problem with the Eco styler gel in terms of the flaking, I do get a good hold and my edges are slick but the build up after is crazy, the only way to get it out is by washing. I don’t know what I am doing wrong because other person here are saying it doesn’t flake. seems weird to me, I have never used a gel that doesn’t flake. Plus my hair is well moisturized and clean majority of the time, so i don’t know what i am doing wrong. What is KCCC by the way?

LBell
LBell

I’m not familiar with Curly Meringue but I took advantage of last year’s BOGO to get both the (unscented) Curly Pudding and the Stretch creme. The Stretch did NOTHING for my hair but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Curly Pudding worked. I was familiar with the “krystal” version of Eco but I recently tried the olive oil version and I liked the results. In both cases I was using these for WNGs and I used them on top of a leave-in (best results with Giovanni Direct) and my olive-castor oil mix. I have mostly 4b hair that… Read more »

Janele

I use Eco with Shea Moisture and Elasta QP leave-in and Foam Wrap for most of my styling needs, and it works great. I cannot imagine spending so much money on a styling product (Miss Jessie’s). I have too many bills to pay and other things to do than waste that type of money.As a word of caution, I would say that if you apply too much, you will get flaking. Occasional clarifying washes and/or sulfate free shampooing can help.

Roxy
Roxy
Reply to  Janele

I do get flaking, but i have thick 4b-4c mixture hair, and to get my edges slick I have to use a good amount. My hair is stubborn when it comes to using other styling gel. lol. I agree with you in terms of washing the hair to get the flaking out.

African Violet
African Violet

I’ve not used any Miss Jessie products, but I do like the Eco Styler gel, particularly the clear gel. (It’s the only one I’ve used, to be honest.) It gives me the hold that I need, and because it’s water based, my hair still feels soft. The way I use it is on my braid and curls. After I’ve washed my hair and done the argan oil followed by the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioning Milk as a leave in (detangling with the conditioner), I use the Shea Moisture Curling Smoothie and Eco Styler gel as I braid each section… Read more »

Joy
Joy

I wish I’d tried the Meringue product that is being compared with Eco Styler, to have something to add to the discussion and feel like I was giving a fair comparison. I have been addicted to the Eco Styler since I first used it, and it gives my hair the hold and styling options I have been looking for since I started my natural hair journey. It does not flake (tried the Curly Pudding once, and sweet Jesus! If my head didn’t look like I was suffering from psoriasis), has a non-offensive scent, and it very affordable. The price alone… Read more »

A
A

I love Eco Styler and I have 4b hair. It gives perfect hold and lasts for days without the need to reapply. I love it so much my mother-n-law now uses it after I introduced her to it this past summer. Ms. Jessie products dried my hair out and flaked. Too much $$$ for the results I achieved.

Isabel
Isabel

i love the eco styling gel when i dont straighten my hair n want my hair to stay curly i use it. my hair is natural n it does my hair real well. most other gels r a bit harsh on my hair n do cause it to dry out but the eco gel does not dry my hair out n it it is a great styler for my natural hair only problem is i noticed its a bit more difficult to find this product around my area. only some cvs’s sell it which is a bit of a hassle… Read more »

hair dandruff

But a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw outstanding layout. “The price one pays for pursuing a profession, or calling, is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.” by James Arthur Baldwin.

Olivia
Olivia

is there a difference between the clear eco styler and the olive oil one? i need to know. all i c is the clear one in my area, and would like to give it a go, but i’m not sure if there is a difference between the two. need ur thoughts

sandra
sandra

ever tried spraying and messaging hair using lotta body setting lotion? and then use coco butter. No flakes, and works great for me.

Kandyce
Kandyce

Hello! I use MJ Sweet Buttercream and Regular Buttercream on my hair. It is actually a rinse out conditioner but I use it as a leave in. This is and Moroccan oil is all I use as a leave in and my curls are best they have been. I’m going to try the argan gel today! My hair drinks moisture though. I am also going to try castor oil.

Dee
Dee

I’ve used various Eco Style Gels and the dark brown works best for me.…the olive oil is 2nd best. The only time I’ve had build up/flaking is when I use it on (non clean) hair. If I use it after a co-wash and rinse it doesn’t build up at all. It doesn’t build up if I use it at the same time with the Tresemme Naturals MOisture Rich conditioner.

La Tina
La Tina

I have use the green, gold (Aragon), pink, blue, and finally the brown (Max hold, super protein)… All of these different varieties because I was on a quest to get the WnG to work on my hair type, and I finally found the combination. I co-wash with As I Am, apply leave-in by KeraCare natural textures, then smooth gel in using praying hands technique (in 5 sections). No Denman, no raking product in, no defining individual curls. Works like a charm! No flakes and no buildup because I co-wash 2 times a week. I cannot compare this to the MJ product,… Read more »

pinke
pinke

Hi, i wanted u 2 know my experience so I copied a review I made May 5th, 2013 on amazon. Every time i used eco olive–whether just on my edges, an entire wash and go, or mixing it with oils or conditioners– It thinned my hair. I ended up with 3 bald spots in the middle of my head, and it made my edges thin. I kept using it b/c i was in denial, but ultimately it broke my hair. It was strange b/c i never saw hair fall out on my bed or in my brush, but then i would… Read more »

Lebra
Lebra

I loooooooove Eco Styler gel. It works well with my 4c hair. I combine it with shea moisture and castro oil. It will hold my style for 4 to 5 days. I’m five months natural and I did my b/c in march. I’ve been using the product every since. Every product is not for everybody! Be blessed

Charlene
Charlene

Ok.….I WAS considering trying Eco Syler Gel. I have a coworker that says she uses it and her hair look gorgeous. I’m now a little sceptical about the hair loss comments. I do kow that every product does not work the same for everyone. I guess I will have to take a chance and give it a try. Will let you know the results. God Bless

Lebra
Lebra
Reply to  Charlene

If u are still skeptical, just try a small portion on ur hair. U have to also consider they may be adding variety of products that just don’t agree with the Eco styler, or maybe it just don’t agree with their hair period. Good luck anyhow, and let me know ur results. Be blessed!

finasteride 1mg vs 2mg

I’m gone to inform my little brother, that he should also visit this website on regular
basis to obtain updated from latest gossip.

Morgan123ThatsMe

Hay ladies, so sad to say, but the infamous Eco Styler gel just does NOT cut it for me! I found that this product left my hair flaky, & didn’t define my natural curls like I thought it would. The one I used was the Olive Oil Eco Styler Gel as well as the original and both did nothing for my natural hair! Such a pity because I wanted to like this product so very much 🙁

Quinli
Quinli

I don’t believe this product is 100% olive oil see how it’s listed as the 11th ingredient.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/colorleopard.jpg[/img]

LadyZ
LadyZ

I love the pink eco styler gel it works wonders on my hair along with the kinky kurly moisterizer!