Nadia // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Nov 3, 2011

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
N:
My name is Nadia! I’m from Boston, Massachusetts. Born and raised! But my parents are from Haiti! Ayiti Cherie! I am a full time waitress. I’m working towards going back to school to get a degree in communication. I love sports and hope to someday be a TV journalist!

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
N:
I went natural kinda randomly. I told my stylist at the time that I wanted curly hair and I was begging her for a texturizer. She told me I needed to grow out my relaxer and cut that all off before I could do that so I started growing my hair out. About a month in, I started researching curly hair and came across sites like BGLH and CurlyNikki and found out I didn’t need to have a texturizer to have curly hair. My natural hair was already curly! Who woulda thought right? Lol. It seems so silly now that I didn’t even realize what my natural hair could do!

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
N:
I started growing my hair out at the end of March, beginning of April 2009. I have never been afraid of doing drastic things with my hair so after 3 months of “transitioning” on July 17, 2009 I went in to my stylist (for the last time) and had her cut off all my relaxer. I was left with about an inch of hair. I didn’t really know about transitioning and to be honest I probably wouldn’t have had the patience to transition for long anyway, so I just cut it and got it over with. During those 3–4 months I would just go in every couple of weeks and have my hair washed and set. That’s it. No special tricks or anything.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
N:
Going natural has affected me in so many ways! I have a new confidence about myself that I didn’t have before. I know it’s cliche to say but when I big chopped it was like a new me was born. When I was relaxed I was always doing something to my hair to give me an edge whether it be funky cuts or colors. With my natural hair I don’t need to work hard to have a unique look or edge. It just happens naturally, pun intended!

I’ve also learned so much about just taking care of not only my hair, but my body in general. I’m much more aware of the products I buy and what I consume. It’s a constant struggle, but I am working to be a better person and live a more organic and healthy lifestyle. And last but not least I have made so many new friends and connections since becoming natural. The online natural hair community is amazing and everyone encourages each other and offers tips and great advice. If I ever have any questions about my hair I know I have many options to turn to and get answers. I’ve even made real life friendships through people I met online because we share this “natural” bond.

How would you describe your hair?
N:
My hair is very thick. It also shrinks to about 50% of its true length. In the front when wet it’s a looser wavy curl and in the back it’s tighter curls. It’s a mix of 4a/4b for those keeping track. Sometimes I struggle with the two different textures because when I do twistouts the back will last for a week and the front will last for maybe 2 days at most without retwisting because it doesn’t hold the curl as much.

What is your regimen?
N:
I used to do all kinds of craziness when I first went natural, but now I try to keep it as simple as possible. Once a week (usually Sundays) I wash my hair. First I finger detangle with olive oil and then wash my hair in four sections with a sulfate free shampoo. I’ve been trying to find the perfect shampoo for me and that has been a little difficult. Currently I’m using Burt’s Bees Baby Shampoo and Wash (yes you read that right, BABY, lol) It’s 99.9% natural. Then I coat my hair with Aussie Moist and detangle again with a wide tooth comb. After getting out of the shower depending on the week I’ll either do a deep conditioning treatment or a protein treatment. For deep conditioning I use Shea Moisture’s Deep Treatment Masque and add honey. For protein treatment I just started using Renpure Organics Amazing Miracle Deep Reconstructor, but I’m also going to be experimenting with Joico K Pak Reconstructor. I henna once a month.

How do you retain length and moisture in your hair?
N:
My hair stays in twists for 5 out of 7 days a week. I spritz daily with aloe vera juice and water and mix and seal with either coconut oil, vatika oil or castor oil (straight from Haiti) depending on the season! I used to wear puffs all the time because I was lazy, but I’ve noticed my retention hit a wall so I’ve gone back to protective styling 90% of the time and in just a couple of months I’ve already noticed a big difference. My edges are growing in thicker and that’s always been a problem area for me, even when I was relaxed.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
N:
When I first went natural I dyed my hair a lot and that was definitely a mistake. It looked good, but I’m sure it wasn’t good for my strands. Now I henna monthly so I have a nice red tint to my hair without any damage. Every time I get the itch to color I always remind myself that healthy hair is what’s most important to me! Also like I said before wearing my hair in puffs constantly was damaging my edges. I also used to wear my hair in a fro a lot, and while it’s really cute it sucks when it comes time to detangle! So now I keep my hair stretched for less breakage. Also knowing when to trim my hair. I would see splits and single strand knots, but not trim because I didn’t want to lose length. Well your hair is just going to keep breaking if you don’t nip those in the bud so to speak. So now if I notice excessive splits or knots I take out my scissors and trim all over before they can do anymore damage!

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
N:
The best thing I believe I do for my hair is keeping it well moisturized and sealing. My hair almost never feels dry because I’m obsessed with making sure to moisturize and seal twice a day!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
N:
I have a tumblr: http://omgnadia.tumblr.com and I just started really getting into my vlog: http://www.youtube.com/user/THExtremelyperfect. Right now I’m doing a weight loss challenge, but I hope to do videos about hair and fashion in the future if there is an interest! I weigh in on Sundays! Come check me out. Also I’m on twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/xtremelyperfect.

Anything else you want to add?
N:
Thank you so much to all the contributors/writers of BGLH! You are one of the major reasons I went natural! I totally recall browsing the site and being in awe of the beautiful naturals who grace your pages. I’m so honored that I can finally be a style icon! Seriously I feel like I’ve won a Grammy lol!

And for those who are transitioning or thinking about going natural: You can do it! As cheesy as it sounds don’t give up when the going gets tough. You’ll be so happy you stayed strong! Going natural is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I just wish I had done it sooner!

About Meosha

Brittany

I absolutely love your hair. I’m at that awkward stage where my fat twists aren’t the right length yet so I get sucked into wearing puffs. I should do like you and remind myself that healthy hair is the main goal. Thanks for the encouragement. 🙂

FloridaHoneybee
FloridaHoneybee

Gosh she is pretty!
I have a crush!
Her photos scream: I am a nice person. Come and talk to me. Some people have open faces. Nadia has an open face.

I am partial to Haitians too!

I love her big twists! I can’t wait until my hair gets that length. Beautiful hair!
Nadia, what do you use to stop the jumbo twists from unraveling? I cannot find anything —and the braid the top and then twist the bottom method causes horrific knots. I hate them 🙁

What henna do you use?

Thanks!

FloridaHoneybee
FloridaHoneybee

Also, what did you use to help your edges (products).

Thank you. 🙂

Nadia

Thanks for all the lovely compliments! I am not picky when it comes to henna(that’s probably bad but whatever lol) so I just get whatever my local Indian grocer has in at the time. I’m gonna henna this weekend and I just looked and it’s Supreme Mehandi. But if you’re looking for quality henna you should definitely check out http://www.hennapage.com/. It literally tells you everything you ever wanted to know about henna and sells kits! Also for my edges I’ve been using Wild Growth oil every other day and whenever I seal with castor oil I just put a dab… Read more »

Lanie
Reply to  Nadia

Where is your local India grocer. I did a half‑a**ed search on google one night, but didn’t find any. I’m from Boston to by the way. Hi! And Haitian!

It’s very unfair that I didn’t get that Haitian thickness that people talk about when it comes to hair, mine feels so thin.

I love your hair and the fact that it looks like your wearing red lipstick/lip gloss in that first pic. Get it , girl!

Nadia
Reply to  Lanie

Hey Lanie! I get my henna from a shop in Somerville on Elm Street called Farmer’s Bounty. I know that there’s a shop in Central Square on Mass Ave that sells henna and vatika oil and all kinds of fun exotic oils and it’s called Shalimar I believe.

Castor oil(or l’huile masketi for us Haitians) helps thicken up hair so I would definitely suggest trying that.

And yes I love red lips!! I have on bright red lipstick as I type this hehehe.

Lanie
Reply to  Nadia

Thanks! I’ll be stopping by those places.

Grey Poupon
Grey Poupon

Ayiti cherie! Whoop whoop! And now on to my question lol. I’ve been trying to moisturize twice a day too but my hair would start smelling funky. I pour cold water all over my 2 strand twists, squeeze out the excess water and then seal with castor oil. Then I protectively style it with a banana clip and pins to hide the ends. Should I start washing my hair once a week as opposed to two? Common sense says “duh” but doing my 2 strand twists take so long (4b and thick) that redoing them weekly sounds like its not worth… Read more »

EG
EG
Reply to  Grey Poupon

Have you tried just spritzing your hair instead of pouring water on it? If your hair is constantly damp and greasy (castor oil is HEAVY), then that may explain why your hair smells. Especially if you let it go for two weeks without a wash.
Try spritzing your hair with a mixture of water, aloe veral gel or juice and glycerin. Then if you want, you can seal with either coconut or castor oil. If you do this right, you won’t need to seal everyday, I don’t; but I do moisturize twice a day.

Nadia
Reply to  Grey Poupon

I was going to say exactly what EG said. Instead of pouring water try spritzing! My bottle has 3 parts aloe vera juice 1 part water. You can get the bottles at a drugstore or BSS. HTH!

Grey Poupon
Grey Poupon
Reply to  Nadia

Gonna give that a try. Thanks y’all!

Anne
Anne
Reply to  Grey Poupon

I’ve heard castor oil works wonders in growth stimulation but I cannot for the life of me get over the smell!! Could this be the reason for the funk?

EG
EG
Reply to  Anne

I’m not sure if this is directed at me or Nadia, but my castor oil does not smell. I use cold-pressed castor oil by home health (Whole foods). If you are that sensitive to smells, then why not try coconut oil to seal? Coconut oil has the added benefit of actually penetrating the hair which is how it moisturizes in addition to sealing.

wanda renee
wanda renee

Beautiful hair!

Loolo
Loolo

Woah!! Talk about coincidence!! I was flipping through a local magazine yesterday (The Somerville Scout); free copies get dropped off at my apartment complex every month. I usually recycle them without reading but yesterday was my first time actually opening one. Not sure if you know but you’re briefly featured in the current edition of the paper. I remember seeing your pic and thinking yay for naturals! Then I click on BGLH today and you’re featured here as well! Anyways, at least I can tell you directly, you have enviable eyebrows and your hair looks awesome 🙂 It’s nice to see… Read more »

Nadia
Reply to  Loolo

Hi! Yes I did get my Somerville Scout a couple days ago and was like woohoo they put me in there! Lol. They just stopped me on the street a month or so ago and they said perhaps I’d make it. So yay! And thank you! I get my eyebrows done in Allston at Monica’s Salon on Harvard Ave.

Onebyd42
Onebyd42

Absolutely gorgeous hair!!!

EG
EG

Ayiti Cherie! that’s right baby. Gorgeous girl, but then again, i’m biased :-).

RicaRica
RicaRica

She is soooo cute! Agreed with FloridayHoneyBee- she has such a pleasant, open face. Love her hair too of course- so thick and luscious! Just beautiful!

Latisha Jalloh

You are too cute!

K.Nicole

Love her hair, it reminds me of my natural hair. I am currently transitioning as we speak so this post was right on time!

jenna marie christian

gorgeous 🙂

Genacia
Genacia

Hi Nadia! I am loving your hair!! You are def an inspiration to all of us naturals! I was even more excited when I read that you are also from Boston and family from Haiti… We have so much in common! 😉 I also got a chance to check out your website and I love the pics and you seem to have a great spirit! I would love to connect with you and share about our hair!

Nadia
Reply to  Genacia

Hey girl! If you’re on twitter send me a message! I love making new friends!

Nathalie V.
Nathalie V.

your hair is so beautiful and I like how dark and shiny it is. I am also from Haiti haha!!

Shahidah
Shahidah

OMG I’m in Boston too! Your hair is fabulous and I would kill for that thickness! Too funny because I’m in communications at the University of Rhode Island after working over ten plus years in finance!!! Good luck on your journey

Anna Renee

A black woman with an open welcoming face is a blessing to those who behold her. Being very beautiful with enviable skin and hair doesn’t hurt either!

eleveness

Gorgeous hair, stunning face…

Romney
Romney

I know her!! Lol! Love this feature and FloridaHoneyBee that is SPOT on her personality.

Diana
Diana

Haiti…Whoop whoop…

Gorgeous hair…gorgeous skin..

KB
KB

Gosh, she is so beautiful!! And her hair is gorgeous. Great feature.

Janelle
Janelle

Ayiti Cherie! Is it weird that I could tell right away that she’s a fellow hatienne? Beautiful hair and beautiful skin 🙂

FLHoneybee
FLHoneybee

I am aware of open faces because I don’t have one. 🙁

Nadia, how do you seal your twists. I love twists but my hair never lasts more than a week–the twists either unravel or get tangled.

Do you use any vitamins? The color and thickness of your hair is to die for…

Thank you.

Nadia
Reply to  FLHoneybee

Hey HoneyBee! I’m sure your face is lovely! ^_^ I seal my twists with whatever oil I feel is appropriate.. in the winter I usually stick to olive oil or castor oil, in the winter I’ll seal with coconut or vatika oil. I do my twists relatively small and use a butter or cream like Bee Mine Bee Hold Curly Butter or Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I used to use Afroveda Ginger Twist Butter also which was amazing but that was a couple years ago so I don’t know if it’s still the same quality. The only vitamin I… Read more »

anastasia
anastasia

Hair gorgeous, face gorgeous, everything Gorgeous!!!

fufuandoreos

Nadia, I have to agree with everyone on this train that you just radiate beauty. I’m in Boston, too! I can tell you have patience when you work with your hair. My transition to the weather has been rough but you’re definitely inspiring me.

katia
katia

she’s so pretty! and love the hairrr

Tatiana
Tatiana

You are truly beautiful.

Adobuere

Your hair looks great! I need to try to moisturize as much as you do but I get so lazy! Btw to all boston naturals!! My name is Adobuere & I am a frequent bglh reader & visitor to the website. I am hosting a curly girl/naturals meetup at my place on Saturday December 3rd and would love to invite all beautiful boston naturals!! I am trying to get the word out and if you’re interested it will be a lot of fun w/ raffles, prizes, food & drinks. Admission is free 🙂 Check out my blog for details and/or email me at… Read more »

Lacoya (thesupercoya)

Chile, if that ain’t my hair on another body.…LOL! My hair is nowhere near and thick tho 🙁 I’m going to begin giving henna a try. I was trying to see those closer to my hair types give their opinion on it before I jump in. Thanks for this, all very helpful and beautiful!!!

trackback

[…] Friday I was featured on Black Girl Long Hair as a Natural Hair Style Icon! You can check it out here. I also have been making videos for my YouTube channel. Please check it out and subscribe here. […]

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

Her hair looks beautiful and has grown pretty fast.

luvmylocs
luvmylocs

great interview and pics. your hair is so pretty. what i want to know is your skin care routine. your skin is flawless do tell!! please? 😉

Nadia
Reply to  luvmylocs

This is going to sound really bad but I don’t do anything special for my skin. I wash with Noxzema sometimes if I remember and just put regular lotion on after I shower. That’s it, lol. If I get a blemish I have a tube of Proactive Refining Mask and I’ll put a dab of it on there and it’s gone the next morning. Sometimes I even go to bed with makeup on! I know, it’s bad lol. So yeah basically thank God for mom and dad’s genes, lol.

luvmylocs
luvmylocs
Reply to  Nadia

lucky girl but thanks for sharing! now that i’m loc’ing my hair again i will be able to devote a little more time to my skin care since i’ll have more time day to day. your skin is so pretty!!

beauxbatons
beauxbatons

Wow, what a beauty!

Got alove for ma hair
Got alove for ma hair

Wow thank God i’ve been scouring this website andI’ve finally found someone whose hair is the same texture as mine! I’ll try some of the products you use. thanks 🙂

superscientist
superscientist

I’m in Boston too, I’m very familiar with Farmer’s Bounty and HATE that it CLOSED! I do my shopping for Vatika and Coconut oil in Waltham now. Where do you get your l’huile masketi? Beautiful does not begin to describe your hair!

Nadia
Reply to  superscientist

My mom brings me l’huile masketi from Haiti every time she visits. I have so much stocked up now actually. There’s a shop in Central Square that sells henna and vatika oil and the such. It’s right on Mass Ave.

Nanane
Nanane

Nadia,

Kote nan Ayiti famille yo te soti?! Ou jamn visite Ayiti le mamm aller?
Oui, m‑ayisyien tou…:)
Tres Bon

P.s ou gin bel cheveaux…:)

Nadia
Reply to  Nanane

Hi Nanane! I try to visit Haiti once a year but I’m not going this year because my husband can’t travel yet. But my parents have a home in La Boule. My mom is from Anse-A-Veau and my dad is from Akin. I can’t wait to go back soon and show my husband how beautiful the country is. And thank you for the lovely compliment! I wish I could write you back in Kreyol! :o)

Bri
Bri

Aw she’s pretty (=

CanadianEgo
CanadianEgo

I never castor oil was L’huile Mascriti wow.I am going to grow my hair but I want to wash my hair with raw african black soap but what conditioner should I use or should i just do deep conditioning. My hair is also in braids so i make twits or cornrown and add castor oil and coconut oil to it every morning. What do you think?

Ms. Vee