A Guide to Ayurvedic Ingredients for Natural Hair

• Nov 30, 2011

Amla Oil

Amla oil comes from a fruit and is widely used in haircare in India. The oil has antifungal properties  and the general low occurence of ringworm in India is thought to come from its widespread use(Mycoses, pp 363 — 369, 2009).

Shikakai

This is a traditional shampoo which also has antifungal properties (Int J Cosmet Sci. 5(1):1–5, 1993). It has a relatively low pH (around 2) although this can be adjusted with additives.

Hibiscus

This is a flower which  is dried and crushed into a powder (like henna). The flower and its leaves are often combined together for the drying process. Hibiscus has been shown in rats to promote a longer growing phase, although rubbing water also stimulated growth just not as much as the hibiscus (Journal of Ethnopharmacology, pp 235–239, 2003).

Neem Oil

This oil is used primarily for scalp conditions as it has antifungal and antibacterial properties (Current Science, pp1336-1345, 2002). It is also and effective against head lice and may be useful for treating dandruff.

Henna, Indigo, Bhringraj, Brahmi

These are all natural hair colorants of which henna (red) and Indigo (dark blue/blue-black) are the most effective.

Coconut Oil

I have discussed the science of coconut oil already in great detail. It  is known for protection from hydral fatigue, prevention of protein loss from hair and is also an antifungal.

Aside from these ingredients, other ayurvedic principles such as having a balanced diet, exercise (yoga in particular) and gentle scalp massages are also encouraged as part of a hair care routine.

Ladies, have any of you tried the ayurvedic products and techniques? Please share!

Next Page

About The Natural Haven

Scientist on a hairy mission!

africanbeauty
africanbeauty

sounds interesting

Lulu
Lulu

I love using Indian powders and oils. They have help me in my journey.

ashley
ashley
Reply to  Lulu

if i may ask where do u purchase them?

Lulu
Lulu
Reply to  ashley

I purchased my oils and powder at my local Indian grocery store.

Aurélie

I love using amla powder because I find that 99% of the time the amla oil is mixed in with mineral oil 🙁 I use a henna mix that is pre-mixed with amla and shikakia and do that every two weeks. I DC before and after henna-ing it is a long process so I have to do it on days that I have absolutely nothing planned. Along with a better diet and exercise regime, an ayurvedic regime has brought my hair back to life!

Satijo

I will try this because my friend and fellow natural is an avid user of henna and LOVES IT!!!!! I want to try everything on this list…shopping!!!

12tnob
12tnob

I love ayuverdic herbs.. i have graduated to using a herbal spritzer and i have been using henna and love this too.. It has done very well on my daughters hair also!!!!

Jaeda Barbie

I am a frequent user of henna and I am very familar with Ayurvedics oil and powders,It has helped my hair grow and it has been beneficial

Natalie
Natalie

I’ve tried the amla and shikakai powders in my DC but they really dried my hair out then I used amla/shikakai as a shampoo also too drying and I have not used them since. I now DC with a paraben free conditioner and a mix of oils, my hair is happy enough. I do final rinse with black tea and sometimes I use hibiscus tea as both are said to dye gray hairs. Unfortunately my hair hates pure coconut oil so I usually add it to other oils and use it that way. Henna also dries out my hair even… Read more »

Aurélie
Reply to  Natalie

Hey Natalie, the powders are quite drying which is why I always DC after using any of those powders. If I don’t have time to DC then I won’t apply it. My hair does hate coconut oil as well. Try to DC your hair with your conditioner mixed with molasses. It makes my hair softer.

Kesia
Kesia

Where can you buy these products.

CandyceNoelle
CandyceNoelle
Reply to  Kesia

http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/ This site is great. She ships fast and since I was new to henna I was nervous about the mixing process and what to add in. She has regular henna varieties and also sells treatments that are pre-mixed with all of the good herbs you need. I have used the Cassia treatment twice. I have the henna treatment as well but haven’t gotten around to using it yet.

LillianMae

I use alma oil for my oil wash, and have been doing so for over a year…I can’t say enough about it!

I tried the powders as a paste alone, but I prefer to either infuse the powders with an oil or tea (straining off any residue from the powders with cheese cloth) and use it that way, as I have found there is less residue with this method.

Sieta

I love ayurveda. I love using ayurvedic ingredients in my regimen. I tend to do amla, brahmi, shikakai or tulsi DC’s on a bi-weekly basis. It really makes my hair strong and the colour is a nice dark black. I’ve started doing henna as well. I love henna.

TheRYL1
TheRYL1

I use henna and hibiscus powder.

I add the hibiscus powder to my henna mix; it makes the red a little darker. My grays aren’t orange or cherry red, but a nice wine.

I’ve also added hibiscus powder to my conditioner when deep conditioning. I have no trouble with dryness. I believe it gives the condish a “boost”.

I’m planning on trying a few other powders in the near future.

Zyaran
Zyaran

Reniecehairtv her hair is gorgeous
Titled video Swang: Reniece’s Hair Journey & Early-2011 Length Check

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCg_VZU9g0Q

Likewaterforchocolat
Likewaterforchocolat

I use the Vatika brand coconut oil and it is my favorite go-to sealing oil. It is infused with amla, henna and lemon extracts.I also use Henna/Brahmi powder strengthening treatments interchangeably with protein treatments. I have noticed differences in my hair strength and texture.

D.A.
D.A.

I love Ayurvedic preparations, and so does my skin,my hair and my teeth! They do it right.

curlylady
curlylady
Reply to  D.A.

@ D.A. how do you use them to help the teeth?

trackback

same. after all, your website is nothing…

short of a virtual storefront! so, you need to ensure that your writer also understands the need to make a great first impression on your website visitors, and thus, is motivated to create original, reader-friendly, seo content that showcases your busi…

Tracy LaBad
Tracy LaBad

This system is the way to go. Been transitioning for at least 9 months. I now Henna, use all natural ingredients for DC honey, mayo, egg, coconut milk, Olive oil. I don’t recognize my hair. It is so soft and rich looking. I have a little India area near me so I can find all of these products. Im trying vatika Coconut oil next but I researched and you must buy the enriched coconut oil not coconut oil enriched. I am trying to find indigo but have had no luck the red hair suits me okay but I like brown hair. Wish I… Read more »

Ty Attal
Ty Attal

Physically, clothing serves many purposes: it can serve as protection from the elements, and can enhance safety during hazardous activities such as hiking and cooking. It protects the wearer from rough surfaces, rash-causing plants, insect bites, splinters, thorns and prickles by providing a barrier between the skin and the environment. Clothes can insulate against cold or hot conditions. Further, they can provide a hygienic barrier, keeping infectious and toxic materials away from the body. Clothing also provides protection from harmful UV radiation.^

Warm regards