13 Nutrients that Promote Hair Growth

Avatar • Nov 22, 2011
7. Iron

Healthy hair needs iron in the body. Iron is needed to help carry oxygen to the hair. Without enough iron, hair gets starved for oxygen. Good sources of iron include: chard, spinach, thyme, and turmeric, romaine lettuce, blackstrap molasses, tofu, mustard greens, turnip greens, string beans, and shiitake mushrooms, beef tenderloin, lentils, Brussel sprouts, asparagus, venison, garbanzo beans, broccoli, leeks, and kelp.

8. Magnesium

Magnesium deficiencies lead to hair problems. Good sources: of magnesium include Swiss chard and spinach, mustard greens, summer squash, broccoli, blackstrap molasses, halibut, turnip greens, pumpkin seeds and peppermint, cucumber, green beans, celery, kale and a variety of seeds, including sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and flax seeds.

9. Copper

Copper is needed for hair structure and is involved in the pigmentation of hair.
Good sources of copper include: calf’s liver, crimini mushrooms, turnip greens and molasses, chard, spinach, sesame seeds, mustard greens, kale, summer squash, asparagus, eggplant, and cashews, peppermint, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, ginger, green beans, potato, and tempeh.

10. Zinc

A lack of zinc can lead to hair loss. Zinc is necessary for building hair protein.
Good sources include: Calf’s liver, crimini mushrooms, sea vegetables, basil, thyme, spinach, pumpkin seeds, yeast, beef, and lamb, summer squash, asparagus, venison, chard, collard greens, miso, shrimp, maple syrup, broccoli, peas, yogurt, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and mustard greens.

11. Water

Water is important for hair. Water makes up one-fourth of the weight of a strand of hair. Moisture makes the hair supple and helps keep your hair silky and shiny. Eight to ten glasses of water a day are absolutely necessary to nourish healthy hair.

12. Potassium

Potassium is found in abundance in many foods, and is especially easy to obtain in fruits and vegetables. Good sources of potassium include : chard, crimini mushrooms, and spinach, potassium include fennel, kale, mustard greens, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, winter squash, blackstrap molasses, eggplant, cantaloupe, and tomatoes, parsley, cucumber, bell pepper, turmeric, apricots, ginger root, strawberries, avocado, banana, tuna, halibut, cauliflower and cabbage

13. Essential Fats (EFAs)

Healthy hair also needs two essential fatty acids, omega‑3 and omega‑6, that are not produced naturally by the human body.Omega‑3 fats sources: flax oil, algae, cold-water fish, dark-green vegetables, hemp oil and pumpkin seed oil. Omega‑6 fats sources: borage, evening primrose oil, safflower oil, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, corn and pumpkin seeds.

Lastly…things to avoid

Eating dead food can lead to lifeless hair. These are sugars, chocolate, cakes, cookies, starches, soft drinks, snacks, Caffeine, alcohol, nicotine and recreational drugs destroy important hair growing nutrients. If you can’t resist keep these to a minimum.

Ladies, have you incorporated any of these foods into your diet? What results have you seen?

Previous Page
meow
meow

I don’t think all these nutrients promote hair growth, they really promote overall hair and body health, which is far more important. I dunno why but the “dead food” comment sounds really funny lol.

shalom
shalom
Reply to  meow

I do agree

ranuka
ranuka

My hair grew a lot stronger, and it didn’t break as easily and there was also less hair shedding. It cleaned my system out totally even to the point that I really felt energized, and in fact I felt the cold a lot less, and i wasn’t always prone to sickness. What I’m working on though, is drinking more water, I did the green smoothies daily, drank lots of it and ate from the different food groups (living foods) and notice that I glowed and my skin became a lot smoother, supple and healthier looking and I looked younger too.… Read more »

arsha
arsha
Reply to  ranuka

@ ranuka you said you cleaned your system out totally i would like to know how i’v always felt like i need a total total clean out need some info can you help .….….…

ranuka
ranuka
Reply to  arsha

I do green smoothies, in fact the blender that I have can blend anything under the sun, so I don’t only blend the leaves, I blend the stems — I clean everything properly. They provide the fiber you need to really do a cleaning job. Don’t underestimate it. I use Kale, spinach, mangoes, bananas,grapes & water, . (that’s an example of one of the green smoothies that I make.) After a few days you notice a whole lot and it seems as if the mental fog you have is clearing, you have more energy, in fact after a while you… Read more »

Jack
Jack
Reply to  ranuka

What brand of blender do you have?

ranuka
ranuka
Reply to  Jack

vita-mix! It can make anything into a smoothie.

arsha
arsha
Reply to  ranuka

will do, but does it act as a laxative,how offten should i do this and do i have to change my diet while i’m drinking this green smoothies? I dont get kale where i’m from what can i use in it’s place oh yeh lol AND thanks for the response.

ranuka
ranuka
Reply to  arsha

No It doesn’t act as a laxative, but it makes you more “regular”, and it does a very thorough job of cleaning over a period of time, and the more often you do it the better, some people do it daily, some don’t. Just make sure you drink lots of water.It’s a personal choice you have to decide on. have you heard of the book “death begins in the colon”. I had to change my diet — it hasn’t been to the point where the doctors told me I had to do so, but i came to that conclusion based… Read more »

arsha
arsha
Reply to  ranuka

OMG it tried it saturday at 6pm and broke out in a rash on and around my tummy by sunday at 4pm WHAT TO DO is it that is working and i should continue or that it does not agree with i used spinach apple grapes and a bannana HELP HELP HELP

Justice
Justice
Reply to  arsha

I have been on cleanses of this kind before. It sounds like you are having a cleansing reaction. You body is detoxing.

arsha
arsha
Reply to  Justice

thank god ok i’ll keep it up and hope that it pass soon

monisola

notice that spinach was mentioned under every single nutrient!!!…except like water and protein. I eat spinach like no one’s business(cups and cups a week), eat protein bars and shakes, take multi-vitamins and omega capsules. I have noticed a serious increase in the amount of growth i get a month, despite loosing 40lbs…many people say dieting can lessen hair growth, but i am feeding my body (hair, skin, bones, etc) not the fat. These nutrients are going to supporting me and not all those fat cells. I am thankful to the inner strength the universe/spirit/god endowed me with to be on… Read more »

meow
meow
Reply to  monisola

Yeah i noticed that too! I love spinach, it’s nice to eat one food that can cover so many nutrients on this list lol. Green smoothies with spinach is the best!

Carlad
Carlad
Reply to  meow

Ladies, what is a green smoothie?

meow
meow
Reply to  Carlad

@ Carlad- a green smoothie is where you blend fruit (typically bananas, mango, etc.) with green vegetables (spinach, kale, etc.) and make it into a nice yummy super food beverage. It might sound gross or look gross, but it’s very sweet and delicious. There are many websites on green smoothies and how to make them, check them out :).

Kimmy
Kimmy
Reply to  meow

GREEN SMOOTHIES ROCK!!! I have one every morning for breakfast. I include kale in addition with spinach.

Carlad
Carlad
Reply to  Kimmy

I LOVE IT! Thanks the green smoothie is very delicious, I have had at least 1 every day since I started.

Phylama

Dead food? I wouldn’t want to eat anything that’s still alive…

EG
EG
Reply to  Phylama

LOL.…well played

demoiselle
demoiselle

Plants “living” until they start to decay

Bumper
Bumper

Ladies how do the green smoothies actually taste because quite honestly they don’t sound too appetising? Can someone take the time to list the ingredients and describe the taste. Whilst I would like healthy hair, I do not wish to do so at the expense of torturing my taste buds. Thanks.

CandyceNoelle
CandyceNoelle
Reply to  Bumper

If you don’t want to blend your own Green Smoothie, as i most certainly don’t/can’t, Bolthouse farm has a DELICIOUS Green smoothie (it’s called “Green Goodness”) and it has fruits n veggies, is blended smooth and tastes like apple juice mainly. Find it at Target!

African Violet
African Violet
Reply to  CandyceNoelle

I second the brand Bolthouse. Their green smoothies are so good!

laundrygirl
Reply to  CandyceNoelle

They don’t sound good but the spinach is mild so you really don’t taste it- especially with flavorful fruits like mango or strawberries. It simply tastes like a fruit smoothie.

Jack
Jack
Reply to  Bumper

You should probably add fruits in addition to the green (spinach, kale) ingredients.

meow
meow
Reply to  Bumper

This is how I make mine: a cup of frozen mango, 1 banana, spinach, and mango nectar. Blend it together until smooth.

It tastes sweet, you can hardly taste the bitterness of the spinach because it’s balanced out with the sweetness of the fruit and the nectar juice. You have to try it before you knock it and find out for yourself if you will like it or not. You’ll find that it is not only tasty but it’s quite addictive, so nutritious and delicious!

MrsCottonCurls
MrsCottonCurls
Reply to  meow

Meow, do you blanche/steam the green veggies at all or just use them 100% raw?

lina40

a pretty easy smoothie that I make for friends is called the ABC Green Smoothie —  A is for apple B is for banana C is for any citrus you want to add (berries,orange, pineapple, mango, etc) and then add a handful of any greens you like. If you make this and you like it, over time you can add 2 handfuls of greens. SPinach or lettuce are the easiest greens to blend up — kale and collards are higher in calcium and have less oxalic acid than raw spinach. Rotate your green ingredient for maximal vitamins and minerals. You can also… Read more »

Mrs. Ebonee
Reply to  lina40

I am so going to have to get a blender to try this 🙂 They sound great and sound like a good way to make sure my dauhgter gets all her fruits and veggies

Mrs. Ebonee

My goal was from last Oct to this Nov (my wedding date) to loose as much weight as health-ly possible. Which meant a change in my diet a serious cut back on grains/breads (1–3 servinga a say) a major increase in veggies and lean meats…I am happy to say I lost 2 dress sizes in that yr. Yea me! Now how did it do for my hair? It didnt necessarily make it longer but it definitely increased my shine and thickness. I already have SUPER thick hair and the better diet made it even thicker. My hair was on the… Read more »

GorgeousSmile
GorgeousSmile

Great article!! Thanks for the post…

Cipriana
Reply to  GorgeousSmile

Thank you Gorgeous Smile.

cygnet
cygnet

I noticed that chocolate was included in the list of “dead” foods. It should not be there. It’s not the chocolate itself, but the processed sugar added to it that is problematic. Many nutritionists now agree that chocolate contains substances that are good for a person’s blood pressure; the key is to eat it dark and one ounce at a time per day.

Cipriana
Reply to  cygnet

Hey Cygnet. Yes, the good chocolate you speak of is called raw cacao. Regular chocolate even dark chocolate that does not contain cacao does nothing nutrition wise but anything labeled 50% raw cacao to 100% can be extremely beneficial for your body. The higher the percentage the more beneficial 🙂

Curious
Curious

I know this post is a couple days old, but i was wondering if anyone made their green smoothies with a protein mix (you know, the low-cal powders and things of the like) and if that seems like an ok thing to do?

maralondon
maralondon

The foundation of my diet is based on fruit and vegetables, fish occasionally, nuts and water. However my downfall has been an addiction to chocolate. I believe this caused me to break out in ezcema last year. It appeared all over my scalp and neck. I decided to cut out the chocolate and after about 4 weeks it cleared up dramatically. I still eat chocolate but not as much as i use to, as i believe that all that sugar they use in chocolate had a dehydrating effect on my hair and skin. Green smoothies are really not as vile… Read more »

nelle
nelle

I’m allergic to bananas, so the Boathouse green drinks w/bananas make me itch. BUT! I looove the taste, and now I’m shopping for the mixer, b/c I like the idea of getting in a good breakfast even if it’s in a shake. Thanks a million times over for this necessary and more timely than you know article.

rosie
rosie

Thanks for the information i think i might buy a juicer on black friday

arsha
arsha

i’m a vegetarian and i’m just about to start fasting for christmas so this green smoothies drink would come in very handy i’m hopeing to loose a little weight as well and i soooo wish my hair could reach my butt by april that’s like 7″ inches to grow all i have to get is that blender wish me luck ppl

shanakawa pereira
shanakawa pereira

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMAG0983.jpg[/img]

trackback

[…] Growth. Also, take a look at your diet. There was another really good article on BGLH entitled, 13 Nutrients that Promote Hair Growth and is about getting these vitamins and minerals via whole food sources, rather than supplements. […]

trackback

[…] 10 Foods for Healthy Hair 13 Nutrients That Promote Hair Growth […]

dorcas
dorcas

Thanks to you all. Green smoothie is now one of my regulars, but how long will it take for me to see the effect.

Mariah

I’m having a lot of trouble with the green smoothies promoting hair growth. I absolutely love the ones I make, and they taste awesome. But I see my skin glowing and my hair getting shiny and healthier looking, but my hair is same old same old. Any helpful comments?

trackback

[…] reading the article ‚BGLH: 13 Nutrients that Promote Hair Growth, it made me realize how important a healthy diet can be to your overall lifestyle. A lot of the […]

Male Extra Pills

That is really interesting, You are an excessively skilled blogger. I’ve joined your feed and sit up for seeking more of your wonderful post. Additionally, I’ve shared your site in my social networks

Yanelis

DEAR SIR/MEM,How are you today?i have new range og globes. may i send?Who is ccaontt in your import?REGARDS,S.ALISHIP GIFT INTERNATIONALINDIA

rincy
rincy

Am rincy frm chennai.…fo last 2 years m loosing plenty of hair.…my Hb s 9.0%…everyday m lossing hand ful of hair…m worrried..hw to get bak my hair??wt medicine shud i take??

Karen
Karen
Reply to  rincy

Have the doctor to check your thyroid levels.

Diana
Reply to  rincy

It’s so nice to see people go the extra mile to save the plaent. I’ve been recycling since the 60’s. But someone giving up their refrigerator helps me rationalize my recent increase in refrigerator size from a 25 to a 29 cu ft. Since the original refrigerator was only 5 years old, I was kinda concerned that I would be using a little more power, but at least that’s offset by those willing to go without a refrigerator. How much will they save compared to me? A whopping $6/month. That’s all it costs to run my behemoth fridge. Like my… Read more »

Rashi Menon
Rashi Menon
Reply to  rincy

Hey. I used the product named ‘Capigro’ which helped me my hair grow back and also helped me reduce hair loss.

shani munna
shani munna

The area is basically wooded, and it has over ¾ of a mile of expressway land for sale in alabama facade. The timber here is a superb blend of pine and hardwoods, going in age from 15 to 17 years of age. Indeed, bigger hardwood could be discovered on the banks of Abbie Creek.

Arron Pallotta
Arron Pallotta

All forms of vitamin A have a beta-ionone ring to which an isoprenoid chain is attached, called a retinyl group. Both structural features are essential for vitamin activity.”-,.

Have a nice day <http://www.picturesofherpes.co

Lourde
Lourde

NO chocolate…:( thats gonna be a hard one for me to keep at a minimum. lol

dayofgoodhealth.Wordpress.com

As soon as I discovered this site I went on to reddit to share it to other people.

Here is my blog: Learn Alot more Here, dayofgoodhealth.Wordpress.com,

Ellie
Ellie

In short, eat more spinach!