Synethia in Japan // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Oct 24, 2011

Introduce yourself!
S:
My name is Synethia. I am from Jamaica but live and work in Japan. I am a Kindergarten Teacher of English. I relocated here temporarily for work. I like the mannerism of the people as well as their rich culture.

What is the natural hair scene like?
S:
There are not that many people with natural hair so when natives see it they are very fascinated and want to learn more. They always as questions like “How do you wash your hair?” or “How do you get your hair to be like that?”, “Were you born with your hair like that?” I would say natural hair is acceptable in some circumstances and rejected in others.

When did you go natural?
S:
I went natural in 2002. December 22 will be my 10 year anniversary. I went natural because I felt like my hair and scalp were not healthy and always being abused by the chemicals I used in my hair. I had had enough of the long hours under hair dryers, my scalp getting burnt constantly by relaxers and conforming to societal norms of what your hair should look like in order for you to be beautiful.

What’s your regimen?
S:
I usually wash my hair every 2 weeks or every month depending on the season and the condition of my hair. I use Dr. Bronners Tea Tree Shampoo/Shea Moisture Black Soap Shampoo and Shea Moisture Black Soap Conditioner as well as homemade deep conditioner and hot oil treatment.  When I am finished I tighten my roots using Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist Gel followed by Mango and Lime Cactus oil.

How do you retain length and moisture?
S:
I oil my hair with essential oils (tea tree, jojoba, castor, rosemary, and peppermint oils) and wrap it with a warm towel to seal in the moisture. An added step that I like to do is either braid my locks together or put them in a bun, tuck the ends under and tie with a silk head wrap.

A balanced diet, exercise as well as treating my hair with care helps it to grow. I try to feed my hair all the nutrients that it needs whether it be through the foods I eat or adding the foods that I don’t eat directly to it. For example, don’t eat eggs but I add it to my hair as a homemade strength treatment.

What is the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
S:
Caring for it and styling it myself.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
S:
When I first started out, I used beeswax on my hair which made it look dull and unhealthy. I would advise people considering locks NOT to use it on their hair as it leave lots of build up which takes some time to remove.

Where do you buy your products?
S:
I usually get my products when I visit the US, online or on one of the naval bases here.

What would you like to in Japan in terms of haircare?
S:
I would like there to be more places to get your hair done and buy products.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
S:
Yes, I have a blog and also a Youtube channel where I showcase my hairstyles as well as useful hair tips.
Blog: http://junglebarbie.blogspot.com
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pecadora99

Melissa
Melissa

Synethia!!!! Me glad bag buss when me see you up her repping! Looking fierce as always. Thanks for the tip about the warm towel. Will have to try it.

BrooklynCoily
BrooklynCoily

Her hair and pics are fierce! Especially love the color blocking shots!

Teare,T
Teare,T

One month for washing the hair.….…I cannot not go that long without washing.

Ebbie
Ebbie

She’s so GORG!! That hair is a reflection of her character in that she’s not afraid to go out and live her life. Whether in another country or blogging, she’s confident in who she is!

Synethia

During the winter months I wash my hair every month. I have a routine that I use if my scalp become itchy in between washes. Works well for me . Everybody hair is different so I suggest you do what is best for your hair.

Evie
Evie

I love her blog, she has the most creative ideas on how to style locs. Definitely one of my favorite bloggers.

Monz03b
Monz03b

Blown away by her locs. They look wonderful on her! I’ve seen some locs that weren’t up to par, but hers are on point! You look beautiful girl!

Anon
Anon

ONCE A MONTH FOR WASHING? YUCK! PRETTY LOCS THOUGH

Gemlocs
Gemlocs

Go on sis witcha bad self!!! You almost make me miss my locs!

Mz Cre
Mz Cre

Even though I’ve only seen two posts about her washing her hair once a month I will still comment. If you read correctly she said between every 2 WEEKS or once a month. She even commented and said that she changes up her regimen for the winter. Everyone has a different regimen and obviously that works for her. Why get hung up over how often someone washes their hair? Anyways I love her hair and her styles and follow her blog. She gives good tips on styling locks and hair regimens.

Teare,T
Teare,T
Reply to  Mz Cre

Why get hung up over how often someone washes their hair?” .….because unclean hair smells. Have you ever sat behind someone with smelly hair? I have, it is not a pleasant experience.

African Mami
African Mami

Wicked sense of style.

HairAddict
HairAddict

She must have trimmed her locs; at 10 years, they would be much longer than shoulder-length.

I have locs, and I wash every week — maybe stretch to 10 days if it’s just been really hectic. Once a month is pretty disgusting, but I am thinking those who go that long between washes — be they locked or otherwise natural — must not be that physically active. I work out something serious, 4–6 days a week, so going that long without some shampoo in these locs and on this scalp would have my hair smelling utterly rancid and feeling gross!

Toya
Toya

I can’t even handle how adorable all of these photos are…pretty lady, beautiful hair, great style!

Maiji
Maiji

Okay…Where are you guys getting once a month? o__O She clearly states every 2 weeks and I know that 2 weeks does not equal one month. Well whatever she is doing works for her, visually it looks clean and no one in Japan has complained about her hygiene. I don’t work out but I do shampoo my locs once a week, and when I was a loose natural I would wash with shampoo once a month and my hair did not stink.

smartsx

aww i love her style! and her dread whoa-whoa-whoa…lovely! lolx

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

THESE ARE SOME OF THE BEST LOCS I HAVE EVER SEEN

FOR THE NAYSAYERS HER HAIR LOOKS GREAT

Jillian
Jillian

I don’t understand why folks can’t just big up one another without making negative comments. What is the big deal with washing hair every 2 weeks or once a month? Everybody does not experience hair build up at the same rate. Most women who get relaxers wash their hair every two weeks or wait longer. The words “disgusting” and “yuck” seem somewhat immature and unnecessary. I don’t mean to dwell, but geesh. SMH.

Onebyd42
Onebyd42

I dont usually like locs, but hers are absolutely GORGEOUS and I really like all the different ways she has them styled!

tammyanka
tammyanka

Gorgeous just gorgeous inside and out. Your hair looks fab and I like that folks are hanging on to the once a month washing comment.….it goes to show they dont get it. EVERY NATURAL IS DIFFERENT. NO COOKIE CUTTER. …WHATEVER WORK FOR YOU.

P.S remember this.….…http://bglhonline.com/2009/06/natural-bride-tamika/

Uniqzoe

I love her hair and her style. She is very creative and stylish with her locs.

Sass 'n Curlz

Her hair is gorgeous!

beadgyrl
beadgyrl

wow, you are so beautiful!

Dee (Durelene)

FIERCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WORK IT HUN, you are gorgious

Mariah
Mariah

So… technically she will have no 10 year anniversary?

trackback

[…] hair, I recommend the hair places around Roppongi. But there are some tips and tricks other writers shared about their experience you might want to read before making a […]