Michelle Obama Goes for a Longer Look

Avatar • Oct 19, 2011

Michelle Obama in October 2011

Michelle Obama in October 2010

Over the past few weeks we’ve noticed that Mrs. O has been growing our her hair! While she rocked a shorter chin-length ‘do earlier this year, her hair is now brushing her shoulders. Which look do you love best ladies?
More photos of her longer ‘do below.

gs
gs

I love the look… but I may be in the minority in saying that it’s proably a super-secret CIA weave. Kinda like the ones Condolezza Rice wore with the congressional bump in the front. 🙂

gs
gs
Reply to  gs

and i’m not knocking her AT ALL for the weave by any means either (if it is one). She’s under indescribable pressure for her looks as the first lady, and God knows what kind of fox news conversations would be had if she had Malia’s two strand twists. So if she has to call in the CIA weave-ologist then more power to her.

renee
renee
Reply to  gs

lmbo

Mai
Mai
Reply to  gs

Forget fox news. I remember when one of their daughters (don’t remember which one) wore twists, black people were pissed. Of course, on the flip side, maybe we could hope that natural hair would be more acceptable if Mrs.Obama wore a bangin’ twist out…I can dream.

me
me

firstly u can see that that is not her real hair right? extensions either way i like both tho long hair makes her look softer…

boho.barbie
boho.barbie

I can’t tell if it’s weave or not but she loves beautiful with either length.

June
June

It looks like her hair to me. I doubt she’ll wear extensions. The growth is very believable so I am not sure what people are doubting.

Sometimes I just cannot with black women. SMDH.

H
H
Reply to  June

I agree with June. It’s been a year since the shorter ‘do- why couldn’t this hair growth be hers? C’mon black women!

renee
renee
Reply to  H

yes, i agree. She does wear half wigs but maybe that was her ‘protective style’. It length looks believable to me too.

karlyne
karlyne

Our 1st lady is simply Beautiful!!

b.
b.

That’s not her hair because…? I subscribe to another blog (Michelle O Style) and went back and looked at photos of Mrs. O. Most of them have her hair pinned up and back, and from the front it looks shorter. It could be a weave. (LOL @ gs w/ the CIA weave) I’m not in her scalp like that. But, to the question: she looks so much like her daughter (well, vice-versa actually). I always looked at Malia’s photos and thought about President Obama but I see here just how much mom and daughter look alike. I like the edginess (albeit… Read more »

Oh Bother
Oh Bother

She’s stunning either way. Some women just have “it” and she’s got it!

Michelle Howard - Ethnic Beauty

Of course my vote is for longer hair but I’m biased 🙂

Le Le
Le Le

I like the longer hair on her since she had it short for a while.

Viv
Viv

She looks FANTASTIC!!!

Zyaran
Zyaran

I think that she looks really good with the longer hair, because it actually brings out the facial features much better. Plus since her face is kinda long anyway, it fits her better than the shorter one. But either way she has always looked good in her outfits.

Beth
Beth
Reply to  Zyaran

I agree. Her face is a bit long, so the longer hair flatters her features more. I really can’t tell if her hair is a weave or not, and I don’t really care, but if it is, weave me up with whatever she’s got!

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

LONGER HAIR!
She looks more feminine!

Anonymous
Anonymous

LOVE THEM ALL !!! 🙂

Afrochelle
Afrochelle

I’m surprised people think her hair is a weave. It doesn’t look like Asian hair, it looks like straightened African hair, which always looks different no matter how you try to disguise it. Come on, people! It’s not like it’s even at some unbeweavable length.

Anyway, I love Michelle O. and the longer style is really working for her. Can’t help but wish we lived in a different America where she could wear her real texture without being attacked both by wingnuts and our own brothers and sisters!

Ain't I an African
Ain't I an African

She’s beautiful either way. But I love how the long hair emphasizes her neck and facial features.

HairAddict
HairAddict

I don’t think Michelle Obama is stunning. I think people hype her up because she’s African American. Yes, we should be proud, but we are exaggerating how truly attractive she is. She is an average looking sister who looks better thanks to a good stylist. As for her hair, no, not a fan. It’s just representative of creamy crack-weavedom.

BlackOnyx03
BlackOnyx03
Reply to  HairAddict

You’ll have to speak for yourself on that one (and I’m sure you don’t mind — lol!), but I completely disagree. Every time I see Mrs. Obama, I am truly struck by how stunningly beautiful she is. Honestly, it’s both refreshingly real and downright regal. Mrs. O exudes a certain natural grace and finesse that few famous women–white or black–have managed to cultivate or capture. When I think of women who’ve been “hyped up”, the first things that come to mind are washed-up celebrities of all races. The Beyonces, the J.Los, the Kim Kardashians, the Megan Foxes, and yes, even… Read more »

Todra
Reply to  HairAddict

I think she’s a little prettier than average, but not stunning. She has style and a certain “glow” that make her more attractive than the sum of her parts, which is really nice.

PFC
PFC
Reply to  HairAddict

I think she’s ‘hyped up’ because she’s refreshing from the usual, much like Lupita. A college educated woman without : the casket-fresh makeup, 22-inch Malaysian in some loud color, and thot attire. She’s not drop-dead gorgeous, but she is an attractive woman. But what gives her the ‘it’ factor (like Lupita) is the fact that she carries herself with dignity and class, is a successful college-educated woman, and is the first African American First Lady. I think the fact she faces so much criticism from conservatives about things like being overweight (racist undertones) and looking masculine (more racist undertones) is… Read more »

wth
wth

I thought the proper way to refer to her was First lady Michelle Obama? A notch up from the gettho familiarity folks allow themselves to freely use on most black blogs,but still inappropriate.

nappy headed black girl

I’m partial to short hair, but I think she looks fab with both. Her longer hair, to me, looks flat and a bit blah, particularly in the blue shirt outfit.

Val
Val

She looks fierce either way… I can’t believe there’s actually a weave discussion going on here about the first lady. Wow.

trackback

[…] powerful Obama hair is worldwide. That’s why when we saw Black Girl With Long Hair’s recent update on Mrs. Obama, we felt the need to spread the word. Above is picture of Mrs. Obama snapped in mid-October 2011. […]

Todra

I’m not a fanatic about hair length. Long or short can look wonderful depending on the person. I think Michelle Obama looks better with her hair longer because it softens her face and makes her look more youthful. Just my opinion.

Danielle
Danielle

Ladies,the woman’s hair grew, okay? Around the same time last year that she wore a shorter to, I had my hair cut just like that; I remember telling my hairdresser that I was going for a Michelle Obama look.
Currently, my hair is the same length as hers is in this photograph; if mine has grown to that length in that time, why couldn’t hers???

MelissaW.

I like her styles long or short she’s a stunning woman! She does wear from my perspective the cap less wigs because they blend with the hair and are more natural looking. She gives her hair a part on whichever side her hair piece calls for and bam! Looks like a million dollars walking! She’s a force to be reckoned with for sure!