Fly Protective Style, Part 1: The French Braid Head Band

Avatar • Oct 21, 2011

We often get questions about how to jazz up protective styles. Over the next several weeks we will be sharing fabulous protective styles to keep you stylish AND your hair protected. What do you think of this look? Would you rock it?

Miss KS

I think the look is cute. If I had hair, I would rock it. It reminds me of how I see Tracey Ellis Ross rocking her hair sometimes.

Classychassis
Classychassis

This is my go-to, im feeling lazy and want my hair out my face ‘do:) i sometimes put on a headband and build my braid aroud that if i wanna be more fancy:) looks great with flowers too, real easy to dress up:)

freeyourheart

this series is right in time, with the weather changing. i’ve done this style a couple of times, modifying it by doing a flat twist instead of a french braid. (i’m working on my braiding.) it’s a great way to simply add a little visual interest to a style. definitely a keeper.

FreedomIsNotFree
FreedomIsNotFree

i’m going to try this. i often see braided styles i admire on others, but wouldn’t work for me. my hair is bsl and i like to keep my protective styles as simple as possible without running one look into the ground. which i’m guilty of at times. but i think this look would work for me.…besides i really need to practice my corn rows anyway…lol

crimsonpeach
crimsonpeach

I hope there are some protective styles that don’t requiring braiding or flat twisting (is there a such thing?). I’m horrible at both and hoping for some possibilities.

Joy
Joy

I really need to learn how to cornrow, french braid, all that! I SOOOO have been wanting to rock this style for so long (as a braid, since my hair is not long enough for the ponytail too) and simply can’t wait to get started. Natural hair is awesome, so many more options to styling and caring for my hair than when I was relaxed. Thanks for the tutorial!

shannon
shannon

Perfect timing! I am in need of good protective styles for the winter!

mangomadness
mangomadness

I would so rock this! I love this style–it’s so simple, elegant AND protective. I’ll try it with flat twists instead of braids.

Starla
Starla

It’s a cute style, great for the school too. Instead of wearing the headband, I am wondering if you could twist a ribbon on one or both sides to jazz up the style? Like someone else up top said, if I had enough hair, I would rock this do.