ChakaKhanian // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Oct 20, 2011

Where do you live?
C:
Let see if you all can figure it out by these lyrics-
‘Take me to another place / Take me to another land / Make me forget all that hurts me / Let me understand your plan’
(It’s Tennessee 🙂 I am a pharmacist… right now.

Why did you go natural?
C:
My hair just didn’t ‘act right’ with a relaxer. Seriously, I thought if my main style was a bun with a relaxer, why continue to get one? Plus, my hair would never stay straight- it would frizz. It was very frustrating for me as a relaxed chica.

This is my second time going natural so to make a long story short, the first time I transitioned for 1 year and 4 months. I was going to hold on to length no matter what! The second time I only transitioned for 5 months and I did the big chop. BEST.THING.EVER!

Going natural really caused me to step back an evaluate what I was doing to my body internally and externally. I know that sounds like a cliche and I know most naturals hate being defined by their hair, but I can truly say going natural helped me transition to being natural in other ways. I can’t say for sure that others correlate my natural hair to being a clean eater or not, but I know when I give into my cravings for junk food, people say ‘I didn’t think YOU ate that way!!’

How would you describe your hair?
C:
Can I be honest? My hair is…interesting. I have 5 different textures of hair , the thickness in each section has its own behavior. My hair appears thick, but only with certain styles. I have to tease, shake, drop and roll with my hair to get it to look full sometimes.

What’s your regimen?
C:
Thanks to indirect heat damage, i.e. sitting under the dryer to get my freshly shampooed hair dry enough for bed, I had to change my regimen. It is as follows:

I have been pre-pooing with Carol’s Daughter Khoret Amen Hair Smoothie…until it runs out. I prefer to use Olive You! Deep Condtioner by MyHoneyChild.

I wash/condition with Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Oil products. To shampoo, I dilute a capful of the Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Oil shampoo in a spray bottle. I shake the mixture then apply to soaking wet hair. I do this because although the shampoo is full of great ingredients, I don’t like the ‘squeaky clean’ feel it gives my hair. I don’t follow this technique with the conditioner, though. I apply a generous amount to freshly shampooed hair and then I section my hair and comb with a wide toothed comb.

So far, I have trimmed my hair once this year and clipped the ends just recently.

My mainstay hair products include Kinky Curly’s Knot Today (for the hair strands), My Asha’s Heavenly Hair Pudding (for the hair strands), and Nature’s Blessing Pomade (for the scalp).

To freshen bed head, I use a herbal tea mixture of blue malva, horsetail and lavender. I make it by using a coffee maker. To keep this mixture longer, I pour 1/8 of vitamin e oil and 1/4 of Elasta QP’s H2 leave in conditioner in the herbal tea mixture and shake it well.

I started back using Elasta QP’s Breakage Control Serum due to the indirect heat damage I’ve suffered.

How do you retain length and moisture in your hair?
C:
My regimen above is how I retain both length and moisture. Since winter’s approaching, I will be keeping my hair up and ends protected mainly because the winter makes my hair hard when I wear it loose!

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
C:
The main mistake I’ve made with my hair includes sitting up under a hair dryer (indirect heat) to dry my washed hair so I can go to bed. When I compare my hair to the first time I went natural until now, I can truly tell that my hair was so much thicker and healthier previously than now. I am going to start back using my microfiber towels!

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
C:
Sleeping with a satin bonnet AND pillowcase.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
C:
Girl yes! Check me out!

LM
LM

I was trying for so long to find information on heat damage from sitting under a hooded dryer, because I’ve been wondering if the crown of my head is heat damaged. I’ve, since, stopped sitting so far up under the dryer, but when I use to deep condition, I could feel the crown of my head getting SO hot!. Now it is super frizzy and dries very quickly. My dryer only has high and low settings so I just refrain from sitting up too far inside the hood. her hair is absolutely beautiful, by the way, and I can relate to… Read more »

Kitty
Kitty

Gorgeous!! I absolutely loooove the thickness!!! I will be adding these pic’s to my “hair goal” file.

Be blessed ya’ll

Erica
Erica

Her grows quick anyway, so if she were to cut her hair off again this month by next year it will be the same length again that it is now. Her hair looks great to me even with the “indirect heat” on her hair, because it still looks healthy to me. I would never have known by looking at all of her videos until she had mentioned it.

Amma Mama
Amma Mama

Lovely!

Sasha-Shae

I love Chakas hair, always been a fan. Watching her journey from natural before, then to the relaxer and the big chop and now back to full length is beyond inspiring.

Margaret
Margaret

Her hair is gorgeous! ITA, I wouldn’t have known about “indirect heat” damage until Chakakhanian mentioned it. It does look healthy and I love the styles presented. KUTGW!!!

V
V

I really like the idea of using a coffee maker to make her tea mixtures! Smart!

Sheena
Sheena

Where did u get that shirt in the first pic? I love it!

ChakaKhanian
ChakaKhanian
Reply to  Sheena

You can get the shirt from :

Pametria Brown
Reply to  Sheena

Glad you like the tank top Sheena, we also have t‑shirts, tote bags, ink pens and more with a variety of other images. We are getting ready to order our winter apparell as well as undies. Feel free to visit our website http://www.naturalcuties.org to see what new products we have in store. Also feel free to call us @ 901–864-2287.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/shutterstock_46971034Converted3.jpg[/img]

Miss KS

Your hair looks amazing.

ChakaKhanian
ChakaKhanian
Reply to  Miss KS

Thanks, dear! Matter of fact, thanks to everyone for your kind words!

Zyaran
Zyaran

But also could the damaged hair be from the Dominican Blowout that you had a couple of months ago?

ChakaKhanian
ChakaKhanian
Reply to  Zyaran

I didn’t have the Dominican Blowout a couple of months ago. I had a blowout last year in November.

Tee
Tee

Your hair is beautiful! I remember seeing your hair on a blog a few years ago when you were natural the first time. Your hair was one of the reasons that I decided to go natural. Simply beautiful!

Res
Res

I had the same problem with relaxers! My hair just did NOT want to be straight (or hold curl for that matter). I still had to pretty much press and curl it even with the chemicals. I think we have the same hair type.

Marcia
Marcia

Always loved Chaka’s hair! Just looks so healthy and moist…lol

I am def interested in this indirect heat damage…I almost never (two three times a year tops) use direct heat but using indirect heat, sitting under my hooded dyer or bonnet, is a regular part of my regimen. I now wonder if my hair is suffering damage from that. My hair would never dry and I can be held hostage in my house by dry hair. Any suggestions?

ChakaKhanian
ChakaKhanian
Reply to  Marcia

Thanks to one of my subbies, she caused me to remember how I used to dry my hair when I first went natural. I used to (and just recently started back) use microfiber towels. They are marketed for drying hair in less time and reducing frizz unlike regular cotton towels. This is what I suggest you do 🙂

Marcia
Marcia

I mean held hostage by **wet** hair.

Jc
Jc

I remember her — she was featured here with her relaxed hair and big chop.….….oh how far she has come, it has only been 2 years?

ChakaKhanian
ChakaKhanian
Reply to  Jc

It will be 3 years March 2012!

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

never ever heard of indirect heat damage then again you shouldn’t sitting under a dryer so many times a week either

E
E
Reply to  TINA SMITH

Yep I agree…

Neesha_Cherie
Neesha_Cherie

Wow!! Can we say hair lust??

Pametria Brown

Tennile your hair is fab hun!Thanks for sporting the Natural Cutie shirt and inviting me to the BGLH world!

Porsche
Porsche

Hi Tennile! I was looking for the Trader Joe shampoo and conditioner. I did not know that it was not a store here. Do you have any i can purchase?
Porsche