Brianna // New Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Oct 26, 2011

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

tumblr_lr7vmjSEPY1qdp6zeo1_1280

Introduce yourself!
B:
Hi guys! My name is Brianna and I currently live in Elizabeth, New Jersey, but I’m from the Bronx. I’m only 17 years old, so I am a student finishing my senior year in high school. I do musical theater productions. I’m guessing musical theater was just meant for someone like me. I have lots of energy and I’m very spirited.

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
B:
I have always been known for having all different kinds of hairstyles. It started from having really long (relaxed) hair to a bob, mohawk, box braids and weaves. I’ve had it all!!! When I cut my hair into the mohawk I didn’t like the process of it growing back. One day I was just like hey, why don’t I just cut it all off and start over so I can grow a healthy head of hair! And that’s how it all went down.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
B:
Cutting all my hair off has affected much more than I thought it would. I’m used to drawing attention. When I cut my hair.….….….….….….…..none. Even down to a childhood friend who I’ve known since I was 5, stopped talking to me. My family hated it. My friends hated it. I didn’t have much support. I still stood strong. Even though it has grown, I still have to face some negativity. The positive part about going natural, is that “I” felt good about myself. My hair has never grown so quick and healthy in my life. I have been natural now for two and a half months.

How would you describe your hair?
B:
My hair is thick and curly. People say it kind of looks like “Corbin Bleu” hair.

What is your regimen?
B:
I do not use much in my hair because I want to see what it’s going to do without all of the extra products. I use regular shampoo and conditioner and after, I use an herbal comb out called “kinky wavy”.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
B:
I haven’t been natural long enough to really have made any mistakes when it comes to maintaining my hair.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
B:
The best effective thing that I do to my hair (when I have time) is a twist out. It preserves the moisture in my hair and leaves it extremely soft.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
B:
On my Tumblr I have a couple of videos and pictures of my natural hair journey. www.artisticfanatic.tumblr.com. Just click on “pictures of me” at the top.

Anything else you want to add?
B:
I hope this inspires many other girls to go natural. You can’t go wrong! “It’s Natural”

About Meosha

I love the color!!!

GorgeousSmile
GorgeousSmile

Beautiful!!!

Darinka
Darinka

As long as you feel good inside and are confident worry yourself not with the negativity. Your BEAUTIFUL, and any friend who refused to speak to you because of your hair was a superficial friend. Keep repping us BX natural girls. 718 yay lol.

Val
Val

Wow Brianna, you’ve really proven that maturity has nothing to do with chronological age. I admire your strength, and absolutely love your hair and style.

Classychassis
Classychassis

Shes beautiful! She looks so grown with her short hair. I really didnt see the 17 year old in her till i saw her pre-natural hair. Partly the cut, partly the experience, she looks so grown up now:) i loves her and her funky little style:-D

thegirlwiththecrown

I love it! You are such a pretty girl and your hair is gorgeous, never let anyone tell you any different. Know that you have a support system with all the natural chicas on the web, and you are not alone when it comes to disapproving friends/family. In most cases, they end up following in your footsteps. Trust. I would be interested in an update in 8 months when you hit the 1 year mark. Until then, keep that fly style up and do you! =)

thegirlwiththecrown

I meant 10 months… yes I can add LOL!!

insurtipsonline.com

At last, someone who comes to the heart of it all

Arcadia

She looks adorable and her hair is so cute! Keep your head up chica, those who are throwing you shade are probably just jealous they don’t have your courage of being true to yourself.

hehe
hehe

Such a pretty girl and short hair looks nice on you.

df
df

“Even down to a childhood friend who I’ve known since I was 5, stopped talking to me. My family hated it. My friends hated it. I didn’t have much support.” WTF?? You have sported all sorts of different, unique hairstyles, your personal style and everything about you is also very unique and eclectic but yet when you go bald, everything goes dark…that’s just so weird to me! You and your hair are SOOO beautiful, I can’t believe people were and are still hating…you are such a strong and beautiful young lady and even though you are younger than me, you inspire… Read more »

@LikeNinaSimone
@LikeNinaSimone

Great lipstick choices. Please share (brand, color, etc).

Tiara

So… I have been stalking this site for awhile… but this just inspired me to have my own big chop in my bathroom. She is 17 and ROCKING in… why am I 30 and scared? I did it… its done… my husband doesn’t think I’m crazy so thats good. Let the journey begin! YIKES! Photos will come soon, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Ogo
Ogo
Reply to  Tiara

Wow~ Congratulations!

Val
Val
Reply to  Tiara

Wow Tiara, I just checked out your blog and that’s alot of your hair you just chopped off. Congrats! I too am inspired, but definitely more than nervous to cut it all. Can’t wait to see the pics.

Tiara
Reply to  Val

Thanks, ladies! Not feeling as brave today but hoping I just need to get some earrings and few cute new digs to get my swag! Thanks so much for all the love!

Jackie
Jackie

I love that color! I was thinking of dying my hair a similar shade. What brand/ color is it?

Ogo
Ogo

What an inspiration! I’ve been natural for seven or so years now but I continue to be inspired by my natural sisters! Brianna, you look great! Shame, shame on your nonsense friend. In a few years, all the naysayers will be asking you for hair advice. But, that’s not the point. As you noted, the point is that YOU love YOU. 🙂

Daveenah

Luv her style..I’m from jersey too 🙂 I will have my story up here soon jus need more pics

tamar

my cousin…i’m so proud of her ♥

socks for flats

Great submit, very informative. I ponder why the other specialists of this sector don’t realize this. You must continue your writing. I am sure, you have a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & assist different users like its helped me. Great job.

The best hair salon in Palm Desert, El Paseo

Howdy very cool site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds also?I am happy to seek out numerous useful information here within the publish, we need work out more strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing.… . .

Jay
Jay

I absolutely love your style, your swag, and your hair!! I’m 17 as well and I was still in the thought process of going natural and I was pretty scared thinking of how this could turn out for me. Honestly, you have really inspired me to actually go for it and rock it. It is a really big step for me since I was always the girl to sit in back and wish to have the courage to step forward and try something new. So I’m going to do it for real this time. As for the negative individuals they… Read more »

Christine

All Willis locations or just Florence?Do you have a list of items?Will you halgge?Would you be able to determine if you have a particular item coming available?Thanks