Are Moroccan Oil and Argan Oil the Same Thing?

• Oct 3, 2011

Argan oil is produced from the kernels of argan tree fruit. These trees only grow in a few regions, like Morocco, so this oil is one of the rarest in the world due the small supply and the limited growing area – hence the high price and the hype.

Traditionally the oil is produced by hand. First the soft pulp is stripped from the nuts which are then laid out in the sun to dry. Stones are used to crack open the dried nuts so the seeds can be removed. Next, they’re gently roasted to give the oil a rich, nutty flavor. A little water is added to the roasted seeds and they are ground into a thick paste which is squeezed by hand to extract the oil.

What is argan oil used for?
Regardless of how it’s made, chemically speaking argan oil consists of a blend of fatty acids (over 70% oleic and linoleic acids.) It is also rich in vitamin E, phenols, and carotenes. Historically argan oil has been used in cooking for dipping bread, on couscous, or on salads. But since it’s so rich in essential fatty acids, there’s no reason it couldn’t be used in skin or hair treatments. In fact, there has some research that indicates that argan oil may be a treatment for psoriasis. And Pubmed references at least one study that shows argan oil reduces sebum production. (We couldn’t find any specific research on argan oil in hair care.)

The only downside to using argan oil in cosmetics, besides the potential lack of supply and high cost, is the fact that it contains a lot of oleic acid which is highly comedogenic. So while it may be good for oily skin and psoriasis, it could clog pores and cause inflammatory acne.  You might have to arm yourself with an anti-acne device like Thermaclear.

Have any of you tried Moroccan or Argan Oil? What was your experience? Do you think the hype around these products is warranted?
For more great beauty articles check out TheBeautyBrains.com

ejmillie
ejmillie

I’ve kind of wanted to try it, but the price has kept me from going for it. Think I’ll just be sticking with my coconut oil *shrugs* Nevertheless, thanks for posting this because I’ve been wondering what the difference was!

Joy
Joy
Reply to  ejmillie

The Argan oil has good anti aging properties too and Vitamin E. I use it on my face for wrinkles. I also sleep on the DREAMSKIN BEAUTY PILLOWCASE, a new moisture-technology fabric that provides the proper moisture balance for my hair.

Alexia

Back when I used to ALWAYS do blowouts, I used Moroccanoil as a blowout oil after washing and conditioning. It made my hair feel super moisturized. My haircare regimen has changed drastically since those days, but I still keep a bottle in my cabinet for the two or three times a year that I blow my hair out. Now, my blowout regimen is to apply it in sections on damp hair, followed by a few pumps of CHI Keratin Mist and Jane Carter Natural Hold Spray Gel. The three work together *very* nicely to protect my hair while sealing in moisture… Read more »

Debrina
Debrina

I have tried the Moroccan Oil as well as other products in the line (shampoo, conditioner, the hydrating styling cream) made by Moroccanoil I really like the way the product makes my hair feel, soft and moisturized. Although, I also notice the ingredients in the conditioner, styling cream and classic oil contains silicone. Additionally, the shampoo contains sulfates. I particularly liked the oil product as a heat protectant if using heat to style my hair. Although I have never tried pure Argan Oil I would like to just to see the difference.

shannon
shannon

I use organic Argan oil when I do my blowouts. Keep my hair nice and moisturized.

S.
S.

A friend said TJ Maxx is selling the oil. I don’t know what the formulation is but I’m gonna check my local store.

tobes

Yes it is the same thing Argan oil is the oil from Morroco and if you purchase them in supermarkets or hair salon, they have made the formular synthetic so it’s not pure coconut oil this is very true of the oil pictured in this post. to get pure argan/ morrocan oil which is not a ripoff and will actually work aka the real deal you have to make an extensive search, and be prepeard to spend lots of money!! the oil has been discoverd a long time ago, but when the media creates hype on something, it gets blown out… Read more »

QueenTBee
QueenTBee

I bought a 1 ounce bottle of pure Argan oil for $15. I add it to my leave in an shealoe butter mixture. I’ve had it for 6 mos. because I stretch it buy adding it to other oils I love what it does in my hair. It’s cheaper and it’s not mixed with a bunch of unnatural ingredients.

Pink Panties & Leopard Lipstick

Very informative. Could you suggest some of the 100% Argon Oils we could use. You type it in on Amazon and its so many! Very overwhelming!

June
June

Here are some places to get it cheaper (not cheap, but cheaper than what is sold in the stores), but shipping is a beast so unless you are buying a number of things it might not be worth your money:

Gigi
Gigi

I’m in love with One n’ Only Argan Oil [from Sally’s]!

Kesha
Kesha

Gigi, I have seen The One n’ Only Argan Oil at Sally’s. Glad to see you give it a good review. I am almost finished with a bottle of Moroccan Oil, I received in a gift bag. Don’t get me wrong, I love the stuff, but it is very pricey so I am looking for a possible alternative. Like the review states Moroccan Oil contains lots of silicone which seems to be what my hair responds to the most (when differentiating this product from other oils I use). Seems like I can get the benefit of silicone from another product… Read more »

Carla
Carla

I’ve been wanting to try it for a while, but the price of the pure oil always makes me step back a bit. Its not so much the price, its the shipping. I shall try it some day soon regardless…

GorgeousSmile
GorgeousSmile

Moroccan oil is expensive.…

Bethany
Bethany

My hair really responds well to argan oil! I have tried the One and Only Argan Oil Treatment as well as the Proclaim Argan Oil Treatment, both from Sally. Neither of these are pure Argan oil, but they work for my hair. I prefer the Proclaim, but I’m in the middle of a bottle of O&O and it works fine. I added a little to my moisturizing spritz that I spray on my hair every day, but the main way that I use it is as a sealant. After spritzing my hair, I’ll rub a tiny bit in my palms… Read more »

Unathi
Unathi
Reply to  Bethany

Where do you get the conditioner cap? Where can I buy one?

Giovanna
Giovanna

Yea I’ve been peeped the actual ingredients and the product after doing some research and kept it moving lol it’s not for me. I’ll be buying pure Argan oil in the future

Zyaran
Zyaran

I used the argan oil at sally’s and didn’t care for it to much, took it back and got money. I like the Coconut oil or the Jamican & mango & Lime Island Oil which smells divine which has 5 main importants oils in it Jojoba, Carrot,Castor,Olive Oil and Tea Tree Oil… I also like Megacare Sheabutter Oil that can be used on both hair n body, smells yummy.

Kate Harrison
Kate Harrison

Genuine Argan oil is produced by Berber women’s co-operatives in Morocco but the commercial MoroccanOil says made in Israel on the box. But is does not say any of this on the MoroccanOil website. Confusing!

M M
M M
Reply to  Kate Harrison

Argan oil is not made by jewish terror. It is made in Morocco.

stephanie
stephanie

I use the Josie Maran 100% Argan oil sold at Sephora. Whole Foods has a 100% one too.

cocobakerchica
cocobakerchica
Reply to  stephanie

Argan oil is expensive because it’s only harvested select times of year(twice, I think), and the trees are endangered and protected; paying for Josie Maran and Whole Foods’ products also mean paying middleman markup. Great alternative(less expensive and more accessible)oils are coconut, rice bran, grapeseed, and avocado. I buy my oils online from wholesale soapmaking and cosmetic ingredient sites(wholesalesuppliesplus.com and ingredientstodiefor.com are my favorites), where I can buy a lot more oil for a more moderate price.

cocobakerchica
cocobakerchica

I’ve tried both One and Only and MoroccanOil’s products; they’re great, but argan oil isn’t even in the top three in the ingredients list! Right now, argan is the hot new flavor of the year(or two)in beauty products, along with being very a rare(the tree is endangered)exclusive product. It’s a great oil, but so is hemp seed oil, which is an amazing product I use from head to toe(hair, skin, nails). Hemp seed oil is legal, and it won’t get anyone high(lol).

Argan Oil For Hair

Thanks for the compliment I am glad you like to the comments.I really.I wish u keep on giving these course wiht some new strategies.appreciate your work, keep it up.….

Katrina Terando

What you posted made a ton of sense. But, what about this? what if you added a little information? I ain’t saying your content isn’t solid, however suppose you added something that makes people desire more? I mean 301 Moved Permanently is a little vanilla. You should peek at Yahoo’s home page and watch how they create article headlines to get people interested. You might try adding a video or a related picture or two to grab readers interested about everything’ve got to say. Just my opinion, it could make your posts a little bit more interesting.

Dionne Dancy

Would? you recommend this product for relaxed ladies?

Shaniqua Isenberger

I can’t wait to use mine! ? Thanks for the great review!

Rn work home

erxckcmbdlhjsmmpohibjs, Work at home assembly and craft jobs, DvJnxjW, [url=http://ergoromanian.com/]Legitimate work home opportunity[/url], bixKJgC, http://ergoromanian.com/ Work home online jobs, GHeoTWy.

trackback

edit and trim your posts. use the…

least amount of words as possible. read your posts out loud before your publish them. take out words that you don’t need.10) call to action. you really want to know the path that you want the reader to take when you…

Gordon Hair Styles And Makeup

Quality articles is the crucial to attract the visitors to
visit the website, that’s what this web site is providing.

Kanisha
Kanisha

Do any one know that this product works on fine hair and also relax hair????

Lashaye
Lashaye

I use just the smallest amounts in my homemade hair dressing oil consisting primarily of organic coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, essential oils. I believe it gives it a creamier consistency and it melts like butter when I apply it to my scalp and skin. My hair just loves it!!

Mel Stevens
Mel Stevens

Yes they are. The argan tree is located only in Morocco, so it’s real name is moroccan argan oil. I recommend the one I’m using right now, it’s from pro naturals

trackback

[…] This article is worth a read. Infact this is a good site in general for beauty product reviews. […]

M M
M M

Morocco has also the best olive oil in the world. Moroccan olives are really unique.