7 Ways to Rock a HeadWrap! *Updated with 2 New Looks!

Avatar • Oct 4, 2011

Over the past several weeks, an incredible head wrap thread has been building in the BGLH forum. I loved the loveliness and creativity of the various looks so I decided to feature them here on the main page! Featured forum members are Mos Nef, MsAfriKanaChiC, Jean and Portoqali.

Which look do you love the most? Which would you be most likely to rock?

Angie
Angie

I like the one in blue or the one with the sunglasses. However, I’m not a big fan of the hairwrap because I feel like I’m getting ready to go to bed (or do yard work) when I wear one.

Le Le
Le Le
Reply to  Angie

Yeah, I feel the same way. I like them sometimes, but I just can’t wear one without feeling like I’m about to go to bed. I never feel glam in one. There are only one or two styles I’ll wear out, and even then, only to the supermarket or to take the kids to the playground or something.

GiGi
GiGi

Yes! I would definitely rock the blue one. 🙂

Honeydew
Honeydew

The head wraps in these pics are beautiful & stylish. I have been on the hunt for some time for the perfect turban, (music soulchild) styled head wrap, silk wrap scarves (for bedtime), and cute head ties (the one’s that just hold down the front of your hair) when working out. Does anybody have any suggestions/ideas of where I can purchase these must have sista friend items?

~Honeydew

Adhara
Adhara
Reply to  Honeydew

I’ve hit thrift stores and found sme great shawls, scarves etc for SUPER cheap. I just launder them and make sure they are clean. I generally wear a silk scarfe underneath to protect my hair too.

HairItIs
Reply to  Honeydew

+1 on Adhara’s suggestions. Thrift stores are a great place, and you can always just go to a fabric store and get a yard or so of any print you like. I just got a new scarf from H&M over the weekend, so really, you can find them anywhere.

And +1 million on wearing silk or satin underneath to protect your hair. In all of these photos (I’m Mos Nef on the forum), I’m wearing a silk beanie or satin bonnet underneath my wraps, and no one’s the wiser!

cypress
cypress
Reply to  Honeydew

You can try some of the rasta webstores for the kool Ethiopian wraps, but honestly doll, just go to the fabric store and cut a yard of fabric…It’s MUCH cheaper and you can find exactly the fabric and color you want. At the most I’ve paid 5$ a yard and that’s because I REALLY wanted the kool pattern on the fabric.

Oh Bother
Oh Bother

I usually find my scarves at bss and random places like old navy or ann taylor loft. I’ll put a silky scarf underneath to tie my hair up and keep it protected. Then I tie up a more attractive scarf in a chic knot over the less attractive silk bed scarf.

Adhara
Adhara

I actually wore my wrap similar to the last one but off to the side, yesterday! i also wrap in a few other style not shown. I don’t know what anyone calls the styles but I’ll posts pic of one of my usual, go to wraps. I have few pics from performances (i usually wrap my hair up when I’m dancing and decorate with flowers).

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/wrap3.jpg[/img]
Ignore the horns, I was at a Renaissance Faire.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/wrap1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/wrap2.jpg[/img]
Not me, obviously, but I wear this style as well.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/annawrap.jpg[/img]

Adhara
Adhara
Reply to  Adhara

Just found out the style I usualy use is the “dutch Crown”

cypress
cypress
Reply to  Adhara

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Great pics!

LillianMae
Reply to  Adhara

Another belly dancer, YAY…though the pictures suggest you are a gypsy style dancer! You look beautiful in your pics! I usually don’t wear head scarves when I perform, though we do a veil dance where the veil is on our heads…not as glamorous as what you have but it works!
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/belly_dancers-107.jpg[/img]

Adhara
Adhara
Reply to  LillianMae

American Tribal Style, but yeah in the ren faire pics they call us “gypsies”

Adhara
Adhara
Reply to  LillianMae

And freaking Awesome pic!

Alyce
Alyce

Nice post, but it doesn’t tell you HOW to tie these wraps.

Nandi
Nandi
Reply to  Alyce

That’s what I was hoping for, too. HOW to tie them.

Erica B.

I love a headwrap! On days I don’t want to take down my perfectly two-stranded twist to leave home, this is a perfect look!

Nia
Nia

The beige one is my fave!

Tonia
Tonia

Love looks 4–6. I have have had a hard time finding scarves that make a good bun. I think the fabric was too flimsy. I will have to try the fabric store this weekend. Love wrapping my hair!

Monique

so inspired to wrap my hair!!!

shug avery
shug avery

The bottom yellow wrap! I tried it, it worked. I love it and may not take my hair down all winter/fall. I feel embarrassed about worrying about whether I want to do it at work ever.

Lettuce

I wear my headwrap like a crown//halo (it’s actually a sarong from mi madre’s closet. Somehow it wound up on my head lol)
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/249802_2061260539947_1497690128_2334164_3491066_n.jpg[/img]

Helen
Helen

M from Zim, Africa and have had natural hair since 2002. I wear head wraps at times just to change styles. Its great.

Helen
Helen

Simple but smart 🙂

tbaby
tbaby

for my bday i did an updo with twist and decided to wrap my hair up until it was time to leave. after eating and doing a few things here and there the hair wrap slid back so my bang was hanging out. the boo arrived and i was about to take off my hair wrap and he said he thought it was part of the outfit. so i left it on all night. my puff was out in the back and my bangs hung in the front. it looked like the right top picture just pushed back on my… Read more »

Doreen Patterson
Doreen Patterson

The answer is Youtube. If you go to Youtube, not only are there are lots of lovely sistas demonstrating how do to hair wrapping in millions of different styles, there are also lots of lovely black sistas with long hair telling their journeys about going natural and how they look after their hair etc

ECPG
ECPG

I love headwraps! They are easy and fun. I have tons of scarves that I have collected, mostly from thrift stores that were very cheap! I wear them open in the back, tired to the side, or wrapped around my head. I might try the front knot one. The way you wear it and the material or design of the scarf are what take it from bed time to work, or night life, or even black tie.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/307502_10150476290249045_745119044_11282202_940519406_n‑1.jpg[/img]

ECPG
ECPG

Another pic. This is a headwrap I wrap in a bun and try to make the bun interesting by pulling out pieces and tucking or folding the fabric. Thicker makes for better buns and of course longer allows you to do more.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/n1079721246_450417_2093858‑1.jpg[/img]

Nefertete

so how do you do them???

Natalie
Natalie

I agree with Nefertete it would have been extremely helpful to provide information on how to do some of the styles.

Come on BGLH help us out please.

Indy chic
Indy chic

[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2011–12-02_14-24–22_641‑1.jpg[/img]
Ive been natural since 03and just started wearing

Eden Richardson
Eden Richardson

Hi,

How do you do the last wrap? Is there a video tutorial or something?