Should You Make or Buy Your Natural Hair Spritz?

Avatar • Sep 19, 2011

Elly says;

I’m a brand new natural, figuring out my regimen and trying out different things and I’m trying to decide whether I should buy my spritzes, or just get in the habit of making my own. It seems that you can make a pretty good spritz with some water, glycerin and oil. If that is the case is it worth paying for one? Would love to hear your readers’ thoughts and experiences!

Alright ladies, do you make or buy your spritz? Which works better for you (in terms of price and convenience)? Please share!

mangomadness
mangomadness

I’d make it. I see no reason to buy something that I can make myself quite easily. I’m a DIYer in general though…

I make a quick and simple water/aloe vera gel/veggie glycerin spritz that works well on my hair to re-moisturize or re-style. I’ve never tried a stor bought spritz because I don’t think it would be worth the money.

EG
EG
Reply to  mangomadness

You mix aloe and glycerin together? Interesting.…I did not think that you could use the to together. Can you elaborate? Meaning.…do you use it year round? Do you usemore aloe than glycerin? etc.

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  mangomadness

I use products with glycerin in them all year round. For my spritz, I eyeball the amounts of aloe vera gel and glycerin (though I do think I use more aloe vera gel). Here is a recipe that might work for you:(http://froenvy.blogspot.com/2011/06/leave-in-moisturizer-mix-recipe.html).

EG
EG
Reply to  mangomadness

froenvy
Reply to  mangomadness

I tried to send you a personal message mangomadness, but I wasn’t able to… Thank you for all of your support! Ever since you found my blog, you have had nothing but kind words. I really appreciate it!

mangomadness
mangomadness
Reply to  froenvy

Your welcome! 🙂

Jade

Water is free (in my country). I try not to pay for it.
My spritz: water, olive oil, glycerin, 2 drops of Lavendar EO.

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Jade

Ha!! “I try not to pay for it” 🙂 Like the ladies here, I also make my own spritz, but I do pay for rose water b/c it’s time consuming to DIY and it’s super cheap in my neighborhood Halal market. The mix consists of rose water, glycerin, a bit of Kinky Curly Knot today, and Cipriana’s Love Potion no. 9 oil mixture (which has become my staple oil mixture for everything). I actually keep it in the fridge so the cool mixture will seal my cuticles and wake my tired butt up in the morning. Smells great and a… Read more »

eSPy
eSPy

I concur with the other ladies that making your own would be worth while.
1. You get to try diff mixes and see what works best.
2. Its probably a lot cheaper b/c you dont have to continually go to the store to replace the same product etc.

Currently, my spritz includes rose water, jojoba and olive oil and a little of Karen’s body beautiful sweet ambrosia conditioner. I spray it on pretty much daily.

HairItIs
Reply to  eSPy

My spritz is similar. I use some distilled water– or rose water when I wanna get fancy, a few squirts of KBB’s Hair Milk (yes, I still call it “Hair Milk”), glycerin, and dash of aloe vera juice and some oil(s). It works better for me than any pre-made spritzes that I’ve tried. My full recipe is here: http://hairitis.tumblr.com/post/975194692/my-spritz

KB
KB

I love making my daily spritz! It consists of rosewater, aloe vera, sweet almond oil + tea tree, rosemary, and peppermint essential oils. I add in a few drops of fragrance oil, too, because the scent of the EOs is so strong.

I started making this after I bought a spritz from Qhemet Biologics which turned out to be an oily mess. I probably used it twice before I gave it away. Began experimenting, and came up with my mix, which I love. It’s moisturizing and it makes my scalp feel wonderful.

Beneath The Clutter

I’ve done both, but prefer store bought spritz over homemade. My homemade one’s are simple — water, oil, and conditioner. They have never really helped moisturize my hair. Maybe I need to add some different ingredients.

LaFemmeRouge
LaFemmeRouge

My spritz consists of the following: aloe vera juice, glycerin, distilled water, peppermint, tea tree, and rosemary EO, then jojoba, castor, sweet almond, and grape seed oils. I keep it in the refrigerator, and I spritz morning and night. Works like a charm.

Auset

Lol. Great topic. I myself say, why not experience the wonders of both. My first sprays were the OH Juices (Juices ‑n- Berries and Greg Juice). I love those things and used them daily before jumping in the shower. They left my hair so soft. I tried making my own spritz for a while, but it kept being a FAIL. Unlike many naturals, I hated putting conditioner in my spritz and getting a bubbly foamy mess. Then I tried just water and glycerin, but never got a ratio that I liked. In the end, I kept buying and using OH… Read more »

sarah
Reply to  Auset

i second everything you said

Oyin’s Juices & Berries will always be a staple for me. spritz it on before the show and soft hair all day.

at night, i spritz with plain old water and seal before putting on a satin cap.

best of both worlds.

Auset
Reply to  sarah

Smart idea. Use the good stuff in the morning, so your hair can smell yummy all day. Use the homemade mix at night before sealing, and hit the sack. Your style, me likey. Lol.

Lucky
Lucky
Reply to  Auset

Auset, that’s a great idea! Use the good stuff in the morning and the homemade (I like to call it “handmade” lol) stuff at night.

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976

I make my spritz (aloe/water/rosemary oil/peppermint oil/glycerin). My hair loves it. However, I do want to try Oyin Handmade’s spritz (the fruits and berries one) to give it a shot.

Monisola

OH ladiez! let me tell you. I used to buy store bought, but I decided to give the DIY thing a go (just as a fum little experiment) and WOW the difference it made! I was able to actually customize the spritz to my particular needs and over time, I came up with something that left my hair soft and supple for days without smothering my scalp! (and I am a 4C with porous hair!) 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup veggie glycerin, two table spoons wheat germ oil, 1/2 tea spoon of tea tree oil, 2 table spoons my favorite… Read more »

LillianMae
Reply to  Monisola

Rose Water is the business…it also adds a pleasant scent!

Sass 'n Curlz

When I first went natural I would buy (I use to go crazy over CD’s Tui Leave-in conditioner). However, now I make my own with using my old CD 8oz bottle. I fill it about 2/3 with H2o and the rest is a mixture of oils (tea tree, shea butter, olive oil, vitamin e, grapeseed oil,carrot oil) in the summer I add Glycerin in the winter I don’t. I shake to mix the oils and water then viola I have my own personal mix. It keeps my moisturized like crazy!

ChicagoCutie
ChicagoCutie

Before going natural, many, if not most, of my hair care products were purchased retail; however, since going natural, I have turned into a kitchen chemist!! 🙂 I love the flexibility of being able to create a product specifically tailored to my hair needs and to switch things up, essential oil and hair need wise, at the spur of the moment (no traveling to Target or waiting for a product to arrive via mail). I use the following “spritz” mix (it’s a bit on the thicker side, but that’s what my hair likes; also, measurements were scaled for a 5oz spray… Read more »

Angel
Angel
Reply to  ChicagoCutie

ChicagoCutie I am also in the Chicago area, I was wondering where do you get your Shea Butter and Essential Oils?

Calandra

I’m a new natural and not much of a DIY kinda girl, but my daily spritz is just water and olive oil. Perhaps as time goes on, I’ll add to it, but right now it works for me. This is what I love about being natural — VERSATILITY. Just do YOU!

Giovanna
Giovanna

I made a spritzer with glycerin, hated it. Ill make a tiny batch for my baggying days, it made my hair too sticky. My every day homemade spritzer includes ‑Half parts aloe vera gel (whole leaf) ‑half parts distilled water (I boil tap water) ‑I use two tablespoons of Rosewater (optional) ‑3 pinches (drops) of tea oil ‑3 pinches (drops) of Vitamin E oil ‑2 teaspoons of coconut oil I also add about a tablespoon of multi-vitamin liquid, I buy the kid brands as I also use the spritzer on my daughters curly hair. You can add which ever oils you prefer, or no… Read more »

kbbn
kbbn

I got exhausted with the DIY routine and buying a bunch of oils etc to make one spritz. Now I just use African Royale Daily Doctor leave-in conditioner..quality natural ingredients, great scent, and supporting the Black lady!

luvmylocs
luvmylocs

i do a litle of both. lately i’ve been buying and then maybe sprucing up a store bought spray. so one of my favs right now is jane carter’s leave in with a 619 fermodyl added in it for extra strengthening. love it. i’ve also starting keeping a bottle in my shower so instead of water alone i can mist my hair with a liquid leave in. love it! i appreciate the tips from you girls of the good adds for diy concoctions.

NaturalSunshine
NaturalSunshine

I make my homemade spritz with tea and my hair looooves it!

1 cup Chammomile/Lavender tea
1 tablespoon of honey or Blue Agave Nectar (organic)
1 1/2 to 2 tbsp. of Vegetable glycerine
4–5 drops of Rosemary essential oil
4–5 drops of Lavander oil

I use this spritz at night before going to bed and I love its! I can even smell it in my dreams! ( =

Claire

I’m not that great at hair products in general. But I make a mean spritz. I’ve bought a bottle of spritz before and spent a small fortune. Making one can be much cheaper. Plus, I think of my hair purchases the same way that I think about food. 1. A restaurant meal is fun. But sometimes I feel better about my food when I know what goes in it. 2. When I eat out I prefer to buy things that I don’t normally make. I once ordered a main dish that tasted worse than the version that I make at home. I… Read more »

NaturalSunshine
NaturalSunshine
Reply to  Claire

Ditto on that!

EbonyLolita

I bought Shea Moisture’s Coconut & Hibiscus Spray. However, I’ve gotten hip to making my own. I have two mixes: Water/Sweet Almond Oil/JojobaOil. It’s been great but you always need a backup. Now I’m going to try Water/SweetAlmondOil/Glycerin/JamaicanCastorOil. Since winter is coming I feel that this might be a heavier mix to keep me REALLY moisturized 🙂

AJ
AJ

I’m a total DIY’er. I stopped buying spritzes over a year ago. I infuse my distilled water with an ayurvedic blend, then add some whole leaf aloe vera gel, aphogee pro-vitamin leave-in (my hair loves its protein), and a mix of oils. I add honeyquat in the summer and nothing in the winter. I make 32 oz. at a time and keep it refrigerated, and my hair absolutely loves it! I can be more liberal with my usage than I would be with a store bought product, because I can make more so easily. I will never go back to… Read more »

Fabre
Fabre

My only issue with spritzes is having to pay attention to humidity and dew points as well as the seasons. I really don’t want to try being an amateur weather girl just to spray my hair and get out the house. Certainly not something I enjoy. I use Oyin Frank Juice but frankly their products and scents are overrated. The Honey Hemp smells like sickly sweet orange boiled sweets and its biggest plus is that it gives major slip when moisture would be much nicer. The Frank juice smells like fizzy cola bottles (don’t know if you have those stateside). You… Read more »

Frugaldiva

Making your own spritz is the best thing to do.
What I use is my spray bottle is
1. Shea moisture raw Shea butter leave in conditioner
2. African’s best ultimate herbal oil
3. Water

These three simple ingredients last a long time and they work wonderfully on my hair, although I am newly transitioning 3 months in but using natural products have jump started my process and the spritz has helped too.

Phoebe
Phoebe

I really enjoyed this post with so many helpful comments. I have also tinkered with retail products. My favorite so far is mixing the Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifer with water and peppermint oil together in a spray bottle. My daughters love it because it has a great smell and it’s not heavy on the hair at all.

Ashley

I definitely make my own spritz! Water and Hot Six Oil works great for me. I’ve also used Water and Vegetable Glycerin mix (didn’t really enjoy it).

Raven
Raven

I say make; I don’t see the need to buy something over and over again that is so simple to do. A spritz doesn’t have to be some fancy concoction. Mine consists of water, carrot oil and/or olive oil (and sometimes coconut oil)

Sapphic Seduction
Sapphic Seduction

I make my own. Rose water, aloe vera juice (with manuka honey) and a few drops of glycerine. Easy! My hair (4b) loves it (:

Dabney
Dabney

I done both; bought and made. One thing I will say is buying it cheaper than making. the formulas are balanced better than mine too. However, I have taken the S‑Curl moisturizing spray and diluted it with great results.

Michelle
Michelle

I’ve heard that spritzing with distilled water is better than regular tap water. Does anyone use distilled water? Have you noticed any difference in your hair?

BlackDudeCurlyFro
BlackDudeCurlyFro

I made my first spritz last weekend after finding Shea Moisture’s Hold and Shine Mist at the store. I loved and figured that I could make this because I couldn’t see myself paying $10 for this 2–3 times a month. My concoction ended up being similar to Sapphics. I did aloe vera juice, olive oil, jojoba oil, and the most natural honey I could find at the supermarket — no glycerin. I really like what it’s doing in terms of the effects — new access to a more natural style (I used to pick it out and shape it). I… Read more »

Laureeene
Laureeene

Wish me luck,i bought ingredients yesterday after reading my friend’s blog over at myfroandi
ingredients:
Aloe vera juice — 7.99 euros
glycerin — 4.99euros
castor oil — 3.99 euros
i will be adding olive oil and conditioner to my spritz mix and naturally some water
the ratio i am using 60:60:60:30 (water, conditioner, aloe vera glycerin) and tsb of castor and olive oils
for my conditioner i have a naturals shampoo and conditioner i got