Raphael // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Sep 12, 2011

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
R: My name is Raphael. I currently live in Washington, DC. I’m a Graphic Designer at Shakespeare Theatre Company.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
R: I decided to go natural when certain hair products were reacting negatively to my scalp. The combination of relaxed hair and chemicals in hair products caused a dry and irritated scalp. Not cool Zeus

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
R: My transition began February 2009. At that time I had short, relaxed hair…That would be my last relaxer. After that I let the relaxer grow out.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
R: Going natural has definitely given me more confidence in who I am. I feel as though it fits my personality and style much better. I am also more aware of my hair regimen—what I put in my hair as well as in my body.

How would you describe your hair?
R: My hair is extremely thick. Quite often it has a mind of its own. Taming can sometimes be difficult to do, but with water and shea butter, it’s easier to manage.

What is your regimen?
R: For the past year I have used only raw, unrefined shea butter. In the mornings when I take a shower, I let the steam lightly dampen and soften my hair. I then apply a small amount of shea butter to my hair and rub through my scalp. If I feel my hair is dry any other time, I spray it with water and apply shea butter.

When I wash my hair, I use Organics Best Carrot Mayonnaise Conditioner. I LOVE the stuff. I also spray my hair with diluted apple cider vinegar. I have a mild case of psoriasis on my scalp, so I use a medicated shampoo every two weeks.

When I feel my hair needs a deep clean, I mix baking soda and my mayonnaise conditioner and apply to my scalp. It does a really good job of getting it clean.

I also eat avocados. They’re yummy and good for the hair.

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
R: My favorite hairstyle is a natural afro. I’ve recently discovered that leaving it in this hairstyle for too long causes unwanted dreads. I’ve learned to only keep my hair out for a few days and then do two strand twists to prevent dreading.

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
R: Best things for my hair are silk scarves, two strand twists, and shea butter. And avocados! I believe eating them is the secret nutrient for hair. I put avocado in EVERYTHING.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
R: Sure! You can find me at http://www.facebook.com/raphaeldavison. My portfolio site is

Anything else you want to add?
R:
Peace, love, and avocados

About Meosha

ScrewyHair

Methinks this is another hair idol discovery 🙂 It’s also nice to stumble across the graphic designer of a playbill I happen to have and like.

Hair regimen sounds simple, but dealing with my hair almost on the daily isn’t what my thirsty 4b/c/whatever hair likes. I envy those whose hair can stand frequent manipulation. I need to keep mine protected most of the time to retain length and minimize shedding. Thank goodness I work mostly from home these days and only wear my hair out when I have meetings or I step out.

Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  ScrewyHair

LMAO at “Methinks”

merry
merry

love her hair.

ishshah
ishshah

omg hair crush!

Zyaran
Zyaran

Her hair looks great and is it me but she kinda looks like Erkayah Badu in the last photo with the glasses.

mangomadness
mangomadness

I love your hair! I also share a love for avocados. They’re so yummy!

Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  mangomadness

When she kept talking about the avocados I thought about my Dad — who is an avocado FANATIC. He used to have half an avocado with every lunch.… maybe he was on to something…

Annie L.
Annie L.
Reply to  mangomadness

I eat avocados/guacamole all the time too! Everyone thinks I’m crazy, Lol! Gorgeous hair, we see you girl!

Le Le
Le Le
Reply to  Annie L.

I love avocados, too! I eat it about 4 days per week. Avocado/hummus sandwiches, avocado/tomato/onion/black bean salad on a tortilla, guacamole, avacado with shrimp and sour cream in the middle. I also believe it is good for the hair and general health.

Kaila
Kaila

Your hair is beautiful and so are you!!

lolab
lolab

she’s absolutely lovely. plus, her declaration of love for avocados made me giggle out loud. nice interview.

Rojologoo
Rojologoo

you r awesome makes me proud of my hair in any way

Daja
Daja

While her hair is quite amazing…that portfolio rocks!!! It is so extensive.

df
df

yeah avocados are the bomb…i don’t eat them as much becuase they recently become so expensive…i might start buying them again because they are seriously worth it. Very good for the skin and apparently our hair…I remember I used to overdo it and would eat like 1–2 avocados a day and started gaining weight. I just eat about half a day and make sure to stay active.

She has insane amount of growth for 2 years my goodness!

Clara
Clara

Gorgeous hair! Pretty sure we went to high school together awesome to see you doing well and looking great too!

BrownSugahChild

UBER FLYNESS!!!!!! that is all…as you were.……

Diana
Diana

DANG!!!!!!! DOPE!

LBell
LBell

Somewhere on this site — http://thegardendiet.com/ — there’s a video of a child eating a raw avocado and really enjoying it…and that’s what got me started on eating them as well. Unfortunately they’re expensive where I am so I don’t eat them nearly as often as I used to.

(Oh, um, yeah, Raphael’s hair is dope. lol)

Neesha Cherie
Neesha Cherie

2009?? DAMN!! Her hair is retaining length like mad!! I hate avocados, but I after seeing Raphael’s hair I might reconsider!!!!

Erica J

Fly indeed! Fun sense of style. Effortlessly cool and of course, great hair

justme
justme

Beautiful my fellow morganite!

Anonymous
Anonymous

Great hair and regimen! But we did not need to see the ‘666’ hand pose over your left eye, even if that’s what you believe in. But hey, maybe you didn’t mean any harm.

GREAT hair, though!

Nia/Chic Working Mom

Love this! I was just talking to a Hispanic coworker with gorgeous hair about avocados. I don’t eat them often but I’m thinking I will start eating them and using them in my hair. lol

numi d
numi d

Peace Raphael!

Really great hair and pics sis! I appreciate you for sharing your tips with us. I also love avocados and believe that they are vital in healthy hair care.
Also, I checked out your site. Dope work!

You will definitely hear from me soon.
Light!