Old Spice Guy Isaiah Mustafa Wants Wife & Kids with “Good Hair”

Avatar • Sep 30, 2011

All I can say about this is SMH. Via the HuffingtonPost.com

Isaiah Mustafa aka The Old Spice Guy is smelling a bit bland this morning after an E! News segment he taped last night.

While promoting his guest starring role on ABC’s new show Charlie’s Angels, E! News anchor Giuliana Rancic launched into a few questions about Mustafa’s romantic life. This is where things got hairy.

When asked if he’s seeing anyone currently, Mustafa said he’s been single for a year and is ready to start dating again. Rancic, a self proclaimed match-maker then probed Mustafa about what he’s looking for in a mate. Mustafa, who has been romantically linked to Kathy Griffin, listed admirable qualities such as athleticism and honesty but then asserted that his ideal woman has to have “good hair.”

Really? “Good hair?” What exactly does he mean?

Rancic followed his ambiguous statement by asking if the hair had to be real.

Yes, it does have to be real hair. I want my kids to have nice hair so she better have good hair. Cause, I don’t know if you’ve checked my hair out lately. Aside from today it’s normally nice. Today it’s slightly nappy,” Mustafa said.

So, Mustafa is looking for a woman with “good” non-nappy hair? If we apply the stereotypical definition of “good hair” and what “nappy” means–it sounds like African American women might be out of the running for Mustafa’s affection. What do you think?

UPDATE: Mustafa issued the following apology via Twitter on September 30 at approximately 7:15pm. He also spoke to TV personality and journalist Abiola Abrams about his remarks.

Though Mustafa cleared up why he made the “self-deprecating” comment about his “nappy” hair, we are still left with the question: what is his definition of “good hair?” Of the short list of characteristics Mustafa listed for his ideal woman, “good hair” was one of them. Therefore, he must have a clear idea of what that means and we would like to hear it. An apology is great, but we’re not quite sure Mustafa knows what he’s sorry about.

Ugh. What are your thoughts ladies?

November Lima
November Lima

Lol, he strikes me as the type to date outside of his race, maybe Kathy griffin would give him some ugly but good haired kids.

What a coon.

BlaqueInfinite
Reply to  November Lima

Ditto. I don’t even understand why this would surprise anyone. The first time I saw him cooning on that old spice commercial, I just rolled my eyes and kept it moving.

Honestly this is one of the reasons why I don’t have respect for most black men anymore. They’re followers of white men, and can’t think for themselves.

Curlygirl
Curlygirl
Reply to  BlaqueInfinite

Ditto x2…Just another “Boot licking trustee”.…cooning indeed.

Ebony
Ebony
Reply to  November Lima

wow at the coon part. i think he was trying to be funny but it didn’t work out for him. agree kathy

Reply to  Ebony

No he was not trying to be funny. Let’s not make excuses for men like that. He wanted to say white, or light (with good hair of course) but couldn’t because he did not want to be jumped on.

JJ
JJ
Reply to  November Lima

Yep! That’s exactly what I was thinking (his dating preferences). It really shouldn’t matter to us anyway.

IAmNikki
IAmNikki
Reply to  November Lima

I thought the same when I first saw him in his very first Old Spice commercial. Guess he just gives off that vibe.

Aiden
Aiden
Reply to  November Lima

The “type” to date outside of his race? What, pray tell, does that really even MEAN?

Kimberly B
Kimberly B
Reply to  Aiden

i presumed they meant soley out of their race and for reasons like old spice dude stated above.

Zyaran
Zyaran
Reply to  Aiden

Well he has been known to date outside his race even his child/children are biracial. Yep he has put his foot in mouth and trying to backpedal out of his mess. Even his apology doesn’t sound to sincere but if he dates i/r that’s on him,because me I have no problem with dating outside mine. Definitely have no plan to try and get with a black male, to many men of other nationalities that find us black women attractive to be stuck on black men only.

Egyptianbella
Egyptianbella
Reply to  Zyaran

PLEASE DONT START TALKING ABOUT ALL BLACK MEN. YOU MAKE YOURSELF SOUND IGNORANT WHEN YOU SAY YOU WONT BE TIED DOWN TO DATING ONLY BLACK MEN. STOP IT. I LOVE BLACK MEN. I HATE BLACK MEN LIKE THAT. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. MY BLACK BOYFRIEND IS A GREAT BLACK MAN. SO STOP STEREOTYPING ALL BLACK MEN. THERE ARE PLENTY OUT THERE WHO LOVE BLACK WOMEN!

Z
Z
Reply to  Egyptianbella

Thats good for you but not every woman feels the way that you do.

Reply to  Egyptianbella

What was that? I couldn’t hear you.
sarcasm/off

Reply to  Aiden

What does it MEAN, it means anything but black. Does that help?

afrique68
Reply to  November Lima

ha!!!!!!!!!! my sentiments exactly!!

foxyr
foxyr
Reply to  November Lima

Wow! You took the words right out of mouth when you made that statement about Kathy Griffin! WTF? There are plenty of women with his definition of “bad hair” that would outshine that woman! For real!! What an idiot!

Jae
Jae

Another shame. Good hair is healthy hair. Point blank, there is no such thing as bad hair in my mind

Shameka L. Terrell

He’s written off as a “lost one” in my book … could careless about him and what he’s got to say. He can take those “clarifications” and shove’em up his behind.

ebncurly
ebncurly

Co sign

Lexi
Lexi

comments like this annoy me. totally ridiculous and ignorant. smh!
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/100_2610.JPG[/img]

Classychassis
Classychassis

Wow, hes doing his own c**k blocking. Good for him. 😛

M
M
Reply to  Classychassis

LOL

Reply to  Classychassis

LMAO!

ebncurly
ebncurly

Embarrassing and exhausting

smallfro
smallfro

Who cares, some like different characteristics in their mate. He should date who he wants. He just won’t ever date me. I don’t go for the shallow types.

kristine
Reply to  smallfro

I agree. I think it’s sad that he sounds so close-minded but everyone has their preferences.

juicy
juicy
Reply to  smallfro

i agree

Latrice
Latrice

Stupidity, ignorance and self-hate has no boundaries. It shows up when it damn well pleases. I really like him too. smh

Miss Tattoo

My white man loves my hair and he is so happy I am transitioning to natural. I could be bald and he would still love me. I hate men who want a woman for superficial reasons. Is he telling us he doesn’t care what the woman is like as long as she has “good hair”?

keenylicious
keenylicious
Reply to  Miss Tattoo

i’m not trying to defend him, but he listed qualities other than good hair.

i agree that he’s hella ignorant, but i just hate when ppl make strawman/extreme arguments.

Reply to  keenylicious

You’re defending someone who clearly doesn’t want you? Black women never cease to amaze me. Until they come out and say get back black girl you will still be in their corner. smh

BlackOnyx03
BlackOnyx03

I. just. can’t!

Even.

Care.

kristine
Reply to  BlackOnyx03

Amen!

rw
rw

first initial thought: suck it mustafa!!!!
if saying good hair was in his first initial comments, then it is important to him, and call it self hate or whatever, he knows what he doesn’t like, which is a mirror of him
sorry mustafa…u suck!!! a lot of good haired women on snapped!

ReniseB
Reply to  rw

lmao @ a lot of good haired women on snapped!!!!

ruthi0rudi0
ruthi0rudi0

*LE GRAND SIGH*

we all know what he meant, no need to even ask the question.

i don’t even have the energy to get upset or disappointed by this kind of nonsense anymore. i think i’ll just write him off as an idiot & go about my business.

IAmNikki
IAmNikki
Reply to  ruthi0rudi0

EXACTLY!

Reply to  ruthi0rudi0

nancy
nancy

come on yall everyone is not going to like afro centric hair. we all have our preferences and likes and dislikes…like not every black woman wants a black man and that goes for every race so why would he apologize for wanting someone that fits his definition of beauty.…good hair is whatever you want it to be if you feel like your hair is beautiful…damaged and all then damnit its good hair (to you).…everyone likes different things so we can’t expect every black person to like kinky and curls…just like alot of naturals dont like relaxers.…calm down…if he like bone… Read more »

df
df
Reply to  nancy

um not having a preference for a hair type is completely different from pretty much typing it as bad hair.…

Rebecca H
Reply to  nancy

I feel like at the end of the day ignorance is ignorance. Sure, there’s nothing wrong with him having a preference. But to say one hair is “good” and one hair is “Bad” is pretty degrading. I may prefer curly, long, or wavy hair on men. That doesn’t mean that I section their hair off as “Good” and anyone else’s hair as “Bad.” To call the hair that grows out of someone’s scalp, the god-given texture that they cannot help “BAD HAIR” is a disrespect to them, their mother, their genes, their race, and God. He can say “I have… Read more »

Aiden
Aiden
Reply to  nancy

SMH…

Kimberly B
Kimberly B
Reply to  nancy

oh whatever, nancy. he heavily implied kinky hair was bad hair. no one gives a flying fig if he just wants to date women w/ naturally straight her, but he didn’t have to actively throw other people under the bus. the self hate is strong in him. not enough mediclorians

nikkinix
nikkinix
Reply to  Kimberly B

Exactly, and he was so proud of his self-hatred smh

Reply to  Kimberly B

nikkinix
nikkinix
Reply to  nancy

How can he not like afro centric hair when that’s his hair type? I mean that’s like not liking skinny people and you’re skinny. Not liking white people when you’re white. That means he has issues with himself, but he’s not the only one unfortunately.

Nat
Nat

If only I needed a man (black, white or otherwise) to validate my worth and reassure me that my beauty is acceptable.…..LOL!

Rebecca H
Reply to  Nat

adamson
Reply to  Nat

+10000

Kimberly B
Kimberly B
Reply to  Nat

men are a part of society and thus influence the self perception of others. we’re not islands. ok, my last comment

Nat
Nat
Reply to  Kimberly B

Correct, men are part of society and influence societal norms of beauty…but… “I” was talking about “my” own “self” perception of beauty and “self” worth–with special emphasis on personal pronouns “I” and “my”.

df
df

eh, he showed his true opinion about natural hair and what he thinks about it…I don’t buy that stuff about a bad hair day, he knows what he wants..truthfully, it’s his issue and doesn’t matter to me. there are many many black men (and men period) that appreciate natural hair on men and women.…which is helpful…

Viv
Viv

I watched that interview yesterday, and was like “WTF?”, but only for a fleeting moment. He revealed himself to be a self-hating slave, and, for that, he doesn’t deserve any more of our energy. Kathy Griffin, or whoever, can have him.

Uniqzoe
Uniqzoe

I wish we as a country would stop asking people to apologize for their feelings because we don’t like them. Truth is there are many people that still ascribe to the good hair bad hair thing. I think it is more unfortunate for them than it is for us because they are limiting themselves.

Dolores
Dolores
Reply to  Uniqzoe

Kimberly B
Kimberly B
Reply to  Uniqzoe

i didn’t ask him to apologize for crap. he endorses stinky man toilet water and dates horses, he only had a small bit of comic value for a very short period of time. what’s rude is to ask people to stop caring when someone intentionally throws them under the bus even when it’s something minor like this.

Reply to  Kimberly B

Agreed, what I love is how all of a sudden so many people are playing dumb. To pretend that this is a natural vs. straight hair thing is dumb, this is a man who has found a new way to say that he doesn’t like black women. He has copied a page out of racists people’s book when they call Pres. Obama tar baby and go what? I simply meant his policies are sticky. Pretend/play dumb all you want, but I don’t let stuff like that slide. He has an audience now and his comments carry weight, therefore, he should be… Read more »

Carmel Stacks
Carmel Stacks
Reply to  Uniqzoe

Agree. Not everyone is required to love natural hair that’s why i only attract men who do.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Well his last girlfriend was white and if I’m not mistaken he has a bi-racial child…so…he’s well on his way to getting whatever it is he wants…to each his own I suppose.

Michelle Hubbard
Michelle Hubbard

He’s colonized..no surprise.

anastasia

🙂 You hit the nail right on the head IMO! I suppose it’s difficult for colonized minds to break free, but it is certainly possible. May reflective wisdom guide him in his parenting practices.

Onia
Onia

Well, at least he put his ignorance out there. Better the fool you can see then the one you can’t.

I second the person who said I can’t bring myself to care especially about the worthless opinions of some random man. He doesn’t pay my bills, live my life, or light my fire. I think I shall keep it moving.

Erika
Erika

Never heard of him, now don’t care to ever.

SophiaC
SophiaC

Im sorry but its just heartbreaking why so many black men think like this. I love my afro hair and I think its wonderful. for A lot black men a requirement for a woman is “good hair” you know waves like beyonce. a good straight perm or 2a b c curls. It kind of hurts.

SophiaC
SophiaC

I dont care too much about the apology. He said that to a woman of another race on public television on a widely known media outlet. I hope this guy official retires as the old spice guy. Him saying that is like a slap to my face like another black calling me the N word. I dont think my hair is bad or inferior to anyone else. My hair is the way good made me.

SophiaC
SophiaC
Reply to  SophiaC

sorry for the typos that’s “good=god”.

honeybrown1976
honeybrown1976

Why are so many black men of late willing to coon it up nowadays?

Sad.

lindy
lindy
Reply to  honeybrown1976

What do you mean of late? black men have been calling Black women bitches and hoes, etc in front of the world for DECADES now.OF LATE?

stevie
stevie

Well I see nothing offensive here people lol GOOD HAIR= not weave(as in plastic is not hair, so is not good hair) GOOD HAIR= NOT BAD HAIR. I have good hair because?.…… I take care of it, and I said so. My hair is good. Burnt, fried and dry is when I have bad hair lol BUT NOW ITS GOOD haha

JP23
JP23

I love my hair. My husband loves my hair. Old Spice Guy does not make me feel any better or worse about myself. Not shocked by his statements because it has been said before. While I am married to a white man, i dont take comments like his and go “SEE! THAT’S WHY I DIDNT MARRY ONE OF YALL” because i didnt marry my husband because of his race. I wont stoop to Old Spice Guy’s level and insult him just because he does not like my hair. People see these types of comments and think everyone dates/marries outside their… Read more »

Delightbunnie
Delightbunnie
Reply to  JP23

+ 100000000000000

wanda
wanda

So, he doesn’t like his own nappy hair? Self hate is real smh
Why are so many of these “men of color” so impressionable to white standards of beauty?
I glad this self-hating blk man won’t be having any blk babies to fill w/ self-hate. Just vanish!

Maha
Maha
Reply to  wanda

wow… wanda, i never looked at it that way. good point though.

I just wonder why black women have been able to change our perception of beauty.. while black men, or many to most black men, are still running around being unaware, not caring, and being stupid about this whole racial perception thing.

nikkinix
nikkinix
Reply to  Maha

Hmm that’s a good point too, I have noticed that some black men are more close-minded. But I always have believed that the more black women go natural the more black men are gonna accept it because they’re attracted to us regardless.

S.L
S.L
Reply to  Maha

Because many didn’t have the benefit of being brought up by women who accepted their own afro textured hair. And unlike black women who’ve been pushed to the brink in recent years with chemical/weave damage and societal judgements about their hair, black men have always had the luxury of being able to ignore their own hair issues by simply getting a fade. I do feel that natural black women have a responsibility to bring up the next generation of black men to accept their own and black womens’ natural hair so that there will be fewer self loathing men like this… Read more »

Reply to  S.L

🙂 Well said S.L.!

Starla
Starla

Another conquered man. I pity him.

sheree
sheree

i was watching this interview when it aired and when he made the good hair comment i laughed “u dun goof’d!” personally, i don’t give a rat’s brassiere what he likes and doesn’t like and it was an ignorant comment…maybe he was trying to be funny, wasn’t funny to me, but i’m not angry either… also, please, some people are acting like that’s the only characteristic he listed, he had said a BUNCH of things before like honest and athletic and likes kids…yes he still subscribes to the good hair/bad hair notion, sadly not everyone has hopped on the natural… Read more »

lexibugg004
lexibugg004

well, dont care about his opinions on “naps” and “good” hair, i just find myself wondering whether or not these ignorant ass, as someone else said, coons, have coaches that teach them what is appropriate fodder for a television interview!! better yet, why does his dumb ass not know that there is a time and place for everything, and in the middle of an interview with a woman whose response to charlie sheen calling Denise Richard a nigger was ” i dont get it, she’s not even black”, is definitely not the time or place to exhibit just how ignorant… Read more »

Kimberly B
Kimberly B

trust me, no1curr about what old spice guy thinks or wants. it’s just the principle of the matter. he implied, damn near straight out said that nonstraight hair/kinky black people hair is unattractive on a popular gossip show. it’s sad that the idea still persists that any type of hair is bad hair and to have people actively propagate that shit. no, it’s not something to boycott over, but it is still offensive. i doubht he can afford a publicist so maybe some ppl in the twitter brigade explained why his comments were out of pocket.

Charlese
Charlese

Who cares? His preference is his business. His choice of words was indicative of the centuries of conditioning we’ve all had to fight against (or not fight at all, as it were). There’s no reason for me to take it personally since I wouldn’t have been an option for him anyway for any number of reasons. And since I don’t take people’s

Charlese
Charlese
Reply to  Charlese

…opinions personally there’s no reason for anger, disgust, name calling, or even pity. He can learn better if he wants and if he chooses not to…well he’s not invited to thanksgiving! LOL!

(i accidentally hit submit before…oopsie)

carolyn agadaga
carolyn agadaga

Whatever happened to falling in love because you are madl,y deeply, can’t live with out this person in love? And why is it that there is a problem with the color of the other persons skin? I agree that he isn’t happy with his own hair but him being ignorant should have no reflection on a different race. Good hair is healthy hair. PERIOD.

BeautyIAM
BeautyIAM

Am I the only one that doesn’t even bother getting offended anymore by comments like this? His comment really didn’t even phase me. I’m tired of getting offended by what others have to say in regards to hair. I think what has helped me with this is seeing so many of you wonderful ladies with amazing natural hair that I can’t even bother care about what is meant by “good hair.” I would also like for people to stop playing dumb when someone says “good hair.” In general, for many black people, it means to have curly or straight hair, but… Read more »

Charlese
Charlese
Reply to  BeautyIAM

brunettefury
brunettefury

I can’t believe so many people on this forum are writing this off as preference. When someone says that they don’t want to date you because you’re black or that they just don’t date black girls, do you right it off as preference then? It’s racism and what Mustafa said has to do with internalized hatred.

Missy D
Missy D

Let’s be real. This dude dated Kathy Griffin, said he was having a bad day because his hair was “nappy” and said he wants his kids to have “good hair”. Clearly this n*gga wants a White Woman and mixed children. His apology is meaningless to me because there is no erasing how you truly feel. To me “good hair” is healthy hair. But to a lot of people still of the slave mindset, good hair is that closer to European.

trackback

[…] most recent victim is actor Isaiah Mustafa aka the Old Spice guy.  According to a post on Black Girl Long Hair in a television interview Mustafa was asked if he was dating anyone and what he was looking for in […]

ebony
ebony

Well what I think about this it comes with so much. So many people in general make this mistake by saying good hair” and I used to get so upset but now I look at society and think. This is why, african americans are already viewed in every sterotypical way as is and now “not having good hair” has applied to our race which is very sad. I pray that he gains knowledge on this issue so he will not make a foolish comment like that again to the public.

Adrienne W
Adrienne W

I’m a Black woman in my 40s with naturally long hair down to the middle of my back (It used to touch my waist). I don’t chemically relax my hair but I do blow-dry and lightly flat-iron it. I’ve lived my entire life being told I have “good” hair, so I would probably fall into Isaiah Mustafa’s category of women with “good” hair (provided of course, my race isn’t an issue). The whole issue of “good” vs “bad” hair is old. The problem isn’t men like Mustafa. It’s Black women and their insecurity when it comes to hair. Very few… Read more »

nikkinix
nikkinix
Reply to  Adrienne W

First off you want people to not care about your texture of hair but all you did was focus on it and your comment wasn’t really on topic. And yes the whole good hair bad hair issue is not just from men like Mustafa but you can’t put the blame solely on black women either. Its a black issue period because both our men and women have been conditioned over hundreds of years to feel bad our hair and other body parts. Maybe some of the black women you’ve encountered are jealous but can you see why they might feel that way… Read more »

Reply to  Adrienne W

Ohhhh my.….Maybe you should take your own advice.

Reply to  anastasia

Responding to Adrienne W.

June
June
Reply to  Adrienne W

You have some issues you need to work through. No one gets THIS worked up about hair.

Savvy's Mom
Savvy's Mom

Actors should just ACT & adult women should not get so wrapped up into an “image” that they see on the screen. Who cares? Really? He is a damn fool with a microphone and 99.9% of us will never meet this idiot. He has said more in other interviews that sums him up pretty well, “He ain’t feelin’ no Sistas”…and So,what? He ain’t the first and won’t be the last. Will I support Charlies Angels? No, it looks about as dumb as he sounds.

Leaf
Leaf

I’m starting to feel that black men like him are in the minority now. I’ve gotten so many compliments by black men of all nationalities when I wear my fro out, a lot more than when I was relaxed. In fact, I have not heard a single negative comment from black men. Women are another story. I don’t really care what he has to say, times are changing. I wonder how he would react if his “good haired” children winds up with someone with “bad haired” person in the future.

Brandi
Brandi

We have to remember that he’s an actor! People often want to believe actors and television personalities are to have intelligent comments when that’s just not the case! Lol..he makes money off of a script someone else writes! He’s a pretty brown face and we wanted him to be smart too. I wasn’t trying to be in the running anyway!

Jnah
Jnah

wow!! I don’t usually reply to these things, however I felt I had to this time. Black Girl With Long Hair please keep doing what you are doing, you have changed how I look after my hair and it has brought self love of what God has given me.I believed the relaxer was the way to go up to 2009. It’s a shame when a people lose the knowledge of themselves, then we lean on others to tell us who we are and what we should put in our hair. These companies do not love us, if so then our hair… Read more »

anonymous
anonymous

I didn’t like him anyway he looks like the type to skip showers.

JP23
JP23
Reply to  anonymous

.…and jump in a vat of old spice to mask the funk, LOL!

Reply to  JP23

LOL!! Y’all have me rolling on this site:)

Marie

I’m not the least bit surprised. He’s just a common person stating his common opinion. #EnvyMyNaps

nikkinix
nikkinix

First off this was just so backward and superficial to say in the first place. But I think it was pure coonery to say this ignorant mess on E and to a white woman, he just put not only himself down, but a whole group of people that are apart of his race. How embarrassing to air your self-hatred in front of the nation.

a. chigozie

i get it and i know that sites like this one have a somewhat obligation to report on these type of topical issues, but what discussion will something like this bring about. so far all of the comments are “he dates white women, saw him cooning on tv, he a fool” yes, it makes folks feel a bit better to put him down for his preferences, but why give space for his foolishness on this site, knowing the comments will most likely be among the negative. are there any things that we can just let go and not takes personal? yes… Read more »

gems
gems

why is this news? i mean people are entitled to their opinion. I dont have to like it. you dont have to like it so why would anyone get offended? i wouldnt have retracted my statement. for what? you can say you like thick natural hair, but you cant say that you dont prefer it? laughable.

Audrey
Audrey

Oh, I’m so bored by this. I really don’t care what he said or what he thinks. I don’t have enough energy to get worked up about his opinion on what qualifies as “good” hair when I have bills to pay and mouths to feed. I decided to focus my energies on more pressing matters like health care and the unemployment rate. He’s just one person with a view in a sea of many. *shrug*

Evelyn

When will people get over this “good hair” crap? It goes to show that this mess runs very deep.

What is good hair anyway? Surely it’s healthy hair that’s not damaged and falling out of your head.

I could care less if a man likes my hair or not. As a matter of fact, I don’t care who it is. I LUV my Hair just the way God made it!

This dude is so shallow. uggrr

SomeoneNotYou
SomeoneNotYou

This man is too fine to be that ignorant…oh wellz.

JennyontheROX

At least we don’t have to worry about his ignorant *** trying to approach us 🙂 I’m elated NOT to be his type! Dodged that bullet.

rw
rw
Reply to  JennyontheROX

sooo agree

Quanee
Quanee
Reply to  rw

AMEN to that!!!! 🙂 “they” always take the ignorant & unattractive ones off our hands!!!! Thank Ya Kindly!!! Yittadee!!!

babytmarie28
babytmarie28
Reply to  Quanee

ewww romantically linked to Kathy Griffin? yuck she is a hot mess, apparently straight hair is his only requirement lol

M
M

I think he and his agent need to meet and discuss how to give a good interview and what tact is. Otherwise I don’t give a…

foxyr
foxyr

Who cares? Why do Black women get all riled up over what some random Black man say about “good hair” or “bad hair,” seriously! : Talk about wasted energy! I don’t give a flying sh8% about this man’s opinion or romantic preferences. If a man is not feeling your style, rest assured that the next man will! So, keep it moving and don’t take it personal. It’s his issue, not yours!

donna
donna
Reply to  foxyr

I think we, at least speaking for myself are passionate about this sort of issue in the same sense that you were passionate in commenting about it, it’s more of a this is my culture, when I see him I see me, I know why at least have an idea of why he’d think that way about our hair so it’s truly unfortunate that he and so many other black people still feel/think this way not that validation is needed. The first thing I felt when I heard about this was oooh man he gon get it! He’s truly ignorant… Read more »

Monzi
Monzi

This just embarrasses be, especially coming from my own people! Why! Why.…WHY!!! Even though he apologized, things like this just makes me insecure and I’m constantly wondering what other people think about me and my hair. Geez, do men take that into consideration what girl to date by the texture of their hair?! I bet his DAUGHTER has the same texture hair as him, what kinda influence is that?!?!?!? Now I don’t like him as much as before, even if he apologized…because he was speaking from the heart. If he didn’t truly desire a woman with “good hair”, he wouldn’t have… Read more »

BeautyIAM
BeautyIAM
Reply to  Monzi

Monzi, please do not take what this guy is saying to heart. Just look at youtube and all the blogs that showcase an array of black women with gorgeous hair. Don’t let strangers validate your beauty because you will be disappointed. Yes, its unfortunate that things like this are being said by people that look just like you. But just remember that not everyone thinks like him. Side note: When it was asked why naturals do not like to criticize other naturals…its because of girls like you that make me want to encourage naturals instead of criticizing their hair even when… Read more »

Katrina
Katrina
Reply to  BeautyIAM

Well said BeautyIAM!^_^

kim
kim

he hates who he is.

Nita

I’m disgusted. He’s very tacky and ignorant.

Canteloupe_Brown
Canteloupe_Brown

my opinion…he sucks LOL

nellboogie
nellboogie

Sigh, the fantasy has simply become a mirage…

VP
VP

maybe someone should advise him that any hair that grows from you head is GOOD hair. WOW — oh so…oh so.…oh so.….at a loss for words.

Delightbunnie
Delightbunnie

I am personally not bothered by this at all. What he said is a common attitude towards “natural kinky hair”. If old dude likes white women, its cool. I have a preference for white men and there is nothing wrong with that.

He should have just chosen his words better.

Pink Panties & Leopard Lipstick
Reply to  Delightbunnie

#Agreed

Delena
Delena
Reply to  Delightbunnie

I hate it when people say they have a preference. No one should have a preference. You should just love anyone who you are compatitble with. Not the color of their skin. And you’re just shrugging off the fact that there are people in this country who hate our beautiful God given hair. You sound half-asleep.

Pink Panties & Leopard Lipstick

What do I think? I think nothing.… I’m over ignorant comments and getting myself upset over them. Was it insensitive and just plain dumb… yes. Is making him apologize and acknowledge how retarded he sounds undo the damage… Nope! Nor is it going to change his opinion.

He has a preference just like I do… so let him live. I just advise he choses his words more carefully next time. In all honesty, I think he was trying to be more funny (#FAIL) than offensive.

I’m over it!

Rae
Rae

That twitter apology was bs I’m sure his publicist told him to say that. My response is who cares? The way he thinks has no relevance to me. And even if his “good hair vs bad hair” ideals represent what most men think I still don’t care because everyone who’s actually relevant and important to me doesn’t care about my hair

paintgurl40
paintgurl40

Men dont know what they really want until they see it live and in person. In his mind, nappy hair could mean a woman who looks like Florida Evans or some one with an afro that looks busted as hell. I’ve seen the women on you tube or hair blogs with long, healthy and beautiful “nappy” hair, and if anything, their beauty has more “umph” to it versus a woman with relaxed/weaved hair with that same tired old hairstyle all of them wear…super straight with a few curls at the end. If a man can’t see how fly the sistas… Read more »

CandyceNoelle
CandyceNoelle
Reply to  paintgurl40

LOL!! LOVE THIS RESPONSE…I AGREE

Delena
Delena
Reply to  paintgurl40

Well said, sistah!

lindy
lindy
Reply to  paintgurl40

what is wrong with Florida Evans, you ignorant itch, or weaves or perms. If you dont like them then dont do it, but Mind Your Business

paintgurl40
paintgurl40

and he ain’t that damn fine anyway!

Rugged1
Rugged1

If he meant black women, consider yourself lucky that you didn’t end up with someone that is so messed up. Better you know now then have him leave you for something that he thinks is better only because he feels so badly about who he is. Look for a real man.

Black Jesus.com

Mustafa fyi: If Jesus had hair like wool (nappy hair) then so did his mother and I’m sure yours too. If we don’t love, protect and praise our women, then who will. Wake up my brothers.
[img]http://bglhonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ART_JESUS_PRAYING.jpg[/img]

Quanee
Quanee

You’d think with a name like MUSTAFA he would know better!!!

Nubian
Nubian

Ha! Isaiah is entitled to his opinion and his preferences. I won’t hate on him for that because that is his problem. The fact that he shared his ignorance in a tactless way speaks volumes about him. I am blessed with my happy nappy hair and we have much more important things to expend energy on, don’t we sistahs?

AishaSaidIt
Reply to  Nubian

Hells yes we do! His statement took a little shine off of him, if anything.

Dove
Dove

A lot of black men don’t like their own nappy hair. It may be a reason why large majority of them keep it less then a 1/8 inch long. So why woud they love our very nappy textured hair if they hide their own hair by cutting it off and never letting it grow. I think these feelings start with black males when black parents never allow their male children to grow and wear loose hair primarily when it’s 4bc textured. I also think with little black girls many black mothers hide their daughters 4bc texture with zillions of hair ornaments… Read more »

June
June
Reply to  Dove

I am not buying this argument. In most cultures and races, it is more acceptable for men to have short hair regardless of texture.

Loose hair leads to more tangles. I don’t think most black mothers are braiding their kids hair to hide its texture. Are you really going to make the argument that ornaments are some type of self hate? I use flowers all the time to jazz up my style. Is this self hate?

I just wish people will stop putting extra burdens on black women.

MBB
MBB
Reply to  Dove

Dove, I think your response is completely on point! I’ve been making the argument for quite some time that when black boys and men get their hair cut, it’s more of a scalping than an actual “cut.” In many African cultures in antiquity, men grew their hair long. As part of American culture, we are socialized to believe that men should keep their hair short, while women should grow their hair long; however, “short” should not have to mean cutting the hair so close to the scalp that it is virtually non-existent. A man can have short hair that still… Read more »

Delena
Delena
Reply to  Dove

I agree with your comment. Why can’t we just wear our hair free and natural? No shaving, weaving, perming or flat-ironing. Just like we wore it before we came to the Americas, back before the self-hate.

Jasminicole
Jasminicole
Reply to  Delena

here is the thing though i read (on this site i read about a brief history of african hair care- precolonial african)aka pre-slavery. and afro’s weren’t usually worn out freely- it was a sign of mourning, or unkept-ness. intricate styles given and represented social status, age, fertility… etc. its a dope article check it out, but anyway thepoint is they weren’t styling their hair intricately due to self hate, but quite the opposite… 🙂

KalleyC

I seriously think he is entitled to his own opinion, but I really do wonder what he means by “good hair.” For all we know, he’s not excluding the sistas, just some sistas. His remarks were ignorant, and it’s good that he apologized. Now I just wish there was a follow up to know EXACTLY why he though the was getting a lot of flack.

AishaSaidIt

Man, you can almost set your clock to when these “apology” notices come out. Don’t kid yourself he meant what he said. Am I surprised, nope. Am I offended, nope. And I tell you why.…

We all have a preferences. And if he is willing to cut himself off from the awesomness of the women shown on BLGH, Curly Nikki, Tumblr, my mirror :0), etc.. then it is absolutely HIS LOST. I feel more sorry for him because of what he is missing. It’s laughable to me.

Naturalchickkk
Naturalchickkk

Who cares? I am glad that he won’t be dating me. I don’t like him anyway. I am glad I love my hair and if some man can’t appreciate it my four year old son loves mommy’s hair. Maybe next time he will think before he speaks.#typicalhollywood

Tonya Juanise
Tonya Juanise

Another brainwashed black brother, there are soo many of them that feel this way but I just laugh because they don’t know any better. This is the product of the White man training Black people to hate themselves. I’m sorry, I don’t have anything against White people, but with them that’s where it started. I wish Black people would learn to love their naps and get over the “good hair” thing. Everyone has good hair, our hair is just wooley and needs to be handled with care, it’s not bad.

Vivi
Vivi

I cant say anything bad about what he said he wants, bcuz if somebody asks me about my ideal man i’d probably say i want a guy with nice/good hair too. My boyfriend has shoulder length(when stretched), poofy, awful to comb hair but he has what I consider good hair, bcuz its soooo thick, soft and long and it grows well. I think they should probably have just told him to give them his definition of good hair. I think all hair can be considered good hair depending on how healthy it is, but most ppl seem to instantly think… Read more »

June
June
Reply to  Vivi

I agree that all hair types can be good, but he gave context for his comments when he said he indicated he didn’t want them to have his nappy hair. I hope for his sake he gets what he wants. There is no guarantee his kids will not come out with the hair he dislikes so much.

If asked I have my own shallow preferences — height, but I have never really followed through on it because when I connect with a great guy, I don’t care what his height is.

Gemlocs
Gemlocs

I so agree with foxyr…Well said!

len
len

the man was supposedly dating the vile Kathy Griffin, so his taste in women is already suspect.

Samara
Samara
Reply to  len

Exactly!

Natalie
Natalie

The guy is entitled to whatever thoughts he has in his head. Who cares what his definition of good hair is.

We are all different for a reason because God made us that way so don’t beat up someone because they think differently to you that is how we have racism (I’m not just talking about racism towads blacks either) and religious hatred.

Let Isaiah chillax, he shouldn’t have to apologise for his views, I thought in the USA there was freedom of expression?

Delena
Delena
Reply to  Natalie

Not freedom of IGNORANT expression! Reality check!

Samara
Samara

I soon as I heard the words “good hair” come out of his mouth..I thought ” oooh Lord..ish bout to hit the fan” lol. It is slightly irritating to hear these phrases STILL in 2011. If Blacks say these things about ourselves why be upset when another race uses these terms we are upset. Its sad.

Ms. Information
Ms. Information

Black women have enough stereotypes against us without ignorant black men spouting negative comments about our beauty. Isaiah dates white women (know this for a fact) and will not be dating a black woman anytime soon, so expect this from him and don’t support what he does.

smh
smh

Every time a black man in the public eye degrades the phenotype of his Bantu type sisters, another angel gets its wings. So stop it with the belly aching ok!

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden

I’m curious — if he had just come out and said, “I don’t want a woman with natural hair”, would that be wrong?

I don’t like dreads — not for myself and not for my husband. Doesn’t make me anti-Black.

If Mustafa defines “good hair” as permed hair. That’s his business. If he defines “good hair” as White (or non-Black) hair then shame on him.

I don’t agree with his preference, but who cares? That’s between him and whoever he ends up dating/marrying.

Tam
Tam

Black is beautiful.

Emancipate yourself from MENTAL SALVERY Isaiah and those that think this little comment is harmless.

You are colonial minded and don’t know your history. “Good hair” notions and false beauty standards have crushed black self esteem for hundreds of years.

Just sit on the horse shirtless and SHUT UP, you’re a lot hotter with your mouth closed.

NATUAL BEAUTY IS TRUE BEAUTY
Learn to love yourself and you may begin to OVERSTAND!

Tam
Tam

*MENTAL SLAVERY*
(sorry for the typos)

Meika
Meika

He can have is woman with “good hair”, but I will say this, once that “good hair” mixes with his “nappy hair” he better hope that wife has the patience and common sense to seek out some help. Otherwise, those kids heads will look crazy.

Celia
Celia

Yeah I’m not really moved or suprised by this. He always kind of came off as that kind of guy anyway. You know, the kind that’s all hung up on white women. Oh well not very moved by proof that I was right lol

????????

Great put up, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts of this sector do not notice this. You must continue your writing. I am sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & help other users like its aided me. Great job.

playstation 3 headsets

You recognize therefore considerably with regards to this matter, produced me individually consider it from numerous various angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be interested unless it is something to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs nice. All the time care for it up!

Stephanie